Burroughs Home & Gardens Reviews

Burroughs Home & Gardens 5
Burroughs Home & Gardens 6
Burroughs Home & Gardens 7

Erin · Married on 03/12/2011

I am always recommending the Burroughs Home to people I know who are looking for a wedding venue. It is the most amazing place to get married, and the staff make it the least stressful place to plan a wedding at. If I could get married all over again I would do it at the Burroughs Home and not change one thing.

Sent on 05/22/2012

Kristy · Married on 10/23/2010

From the day I stepped foot on the grounds of The Burroughs Home I've had a small obsession with the place! It's truly magical! The home is stunning, the view from street takes your breath away...strolling up the walkway onto the wrap around porch you feel like to have stepped back in time to a place where those that visited took the time to rock the day away on the white rocking chairs placed on the porch. From the rich wood on the inside, and beautiful staircase it's stunning! If the walls could talk they would be filled with the joy, laughter and stories of the days they helped brides dreams come true with it's pure existence. The grounds are spectacular and the view of the water is so peaceful. This is the most wonderful venue in Florida to enjoy one of the most special days in your life.

The staff was amazing, our day was perfect and it was the wedding location of my dreams. I still get goosebumps when I drive by or stop by for a visit! :-) I've had 3 friends book their wedding at the Burroughs Home that have had the same experience! I can't imagine why you would look any further!

Sent on 10/12/2012

Erica · Married on 10/16/2010

The Burroughs home is gorgeous and has an authentic Florida feel without being at all touristy. We had beautiful weather and the pictures came out wonderfully. Chris and her staff were extremely helpful. We wanted a non-traditional wedding, and Chris heard us out and went out of her way to accomodate us. She's very patient and gives very practical feedback. She was also very responsive to our questions, phone calls and emails, which was not the experience we had with the previous venue we had booked. The biggest thing was that we had several things fall apart on the day of the wedding, and Chris and her staff totally saved the day. I wish I had listened to Chris more from the start- she really is an expert on weddings!

Sent on 12/29/2011

Janine · Married on 05/17/2010

From beginning to end the services provided at the Burroughs were amazing! The Event Manager, Christine, and her staff were so helpful in every way. The home and property is beautiful, and I would recommend the venue to everyone! All my guests enjoyed the venue, food, music, and overall atmosphere. This is a day I will always cherish thanks to the Burroughs Home!

Sent on 06/15/2010

Shannon · Married on 11/18/2016

We loved this venue! We were limited on a date since they are booked well in advance, however, the staff tries their very best to keep you happy! We worked with Magen, the catering coordinator, and she handled everything for us. You definitely can't beat the picturesque backdrop here, but you have to book soon as their calendar is filling up!

Sent on 11/26/2016

Thank you Shannon!

Brittany · Married on 03/10/2012

We were recently married at the Burroughs Home and couldn't be happier with the entire venue. First off, the gardens are GORGEOUS, the house is beautiful and it is the most perfect place for a wedding. In our inital meeting with Christine (the Event Manager) she walked us through the whole day and we were so impressed with how organized she was. She is THE person you want to be coordinating your wedding. She is so organized, makes a timeline and event timeline, has done a million weddings so has many ideas and reminds you of things you would have forgotten!

On top of being organized and coordinating a perfect day, the vendors she reccommended were not only VERY competitively priced, but did an AMAZING job. We used Fort Myers Express Florist (worked with John), Little Cakes and More (Wendy), and Webster's Catering (working with Colleen and Jordan) and Christina Phelps-Bowman for our officiant. They were all on the preferred vendor list, but were ALL phenomal. Another great thing is that because all the vendors have worked there before, they all knew the property, knew Christine and knew exactly what to do. SO - it made my job super easy.

The day of was amazing. Christine, Taylor and Natalie (the event coordinators) were amazing with all the guests, made sure I ate (I NEEDED that!), were amazing with our families and made the entire day run so smoothly. I have to say that if anyone wants a place that is going to make you LOOK like a rock start to your guests and FEEL like a rock start for a day this is the most perfect venue. I would use them again in a heart beat. Thank you for making our day so special.

Sent on 03/21/2012

Ellis · Married on 10/29/2017

Burroughs Home was a beautiful place to have our wedding- the venue is stunning and Cindy, the events coordinator, could not be more lovely and accommodating. A day after a tropical storm we had to shift our ceremony plans from the lawn to the side porch, and it went extremely seamlessly. Additionally, they are flexible with end-times, which was great for us, since other homes we looked at were far more restrictive. The only (very minor) complaint would be the approved vendor list, which limited us to very few caterers. Beyond this, we were thrilled with the venue and the team, and would highly recommend!

Sent on 11/08/2017

Jenna · Married on 10/01/2016

My husband and I got married at the beginning of October at The Burroughs Home & Garden and I couldn't have had a more perfect day! When we started wedding planning we checked out 3 venues in Downtown Fort Myers and decided to go with The Burroughs due to their outside pavilion in case of rain. The others were beautiful but you were required to rent a tent (an extra $3,000 cost) if the rain was 30% chance or more for the day and I was not willing to take on that unexpected cost. The Bridal Suite upstairs was beautiful and elegant. The only note on the house is that since it is so old electrical outlets are limited! My mom found out the hard way when she went to steam our dresses lol so it's just something to keep in mind. The house had been pressure washed not too long before our wedding so it was so clean and beautiful! We had the cocktail hour on the porch and it was the perfect size for my wedding (approx 50 guests). They do have another side porch to be used if needed. For your ceremony you have several options and I chose to be in front of the big old oak tree and it was stunning (definitely my favorite spot). The pavilion for reception is relatively new and definitely a great addition to The Burroughs! The wood floors were really nice and it's right on the river with a wonderful view! One of my favorite moments that night was looking around after the sun had gone down and seeing all of the palm trees around the pavilion lit up with twinkly lights. It was just all so beautiful and everyone had an excellent time! I was told multiple times by guests that it was the best wedding they've ever been to.

Sent on 10/07/2016

Burroughs Home & Gardens's reply:

Thank you for your kind words and letting us share in your memories. We wish you a future filled with Blessings!
    BH&G
    cse

Tia · Married on 06/16/2012

Christine at the Burroughs Home made our wedding perfect! She kept everything flowing, and without her we would have been lost! She connected us with amazing vendors as well. I wish receptions could go later there, but other than that it was AMAZING!

Sent on 06/18/2012

Lindsey · Married on 09/24/2011

The Burroughs Home and their staff were amazing!

Sent on 04/13/2012

Jennifer · Married on 05/14/2011

The Burroughs Home and Gardens are ABSOLUTELY stunning grounds and the picture perfect backdrop for a GORGEOUS wedding day and private space for you and your family to celebrate. Christine and her girls are highly organized and help you plan the BEST day of your dreams from the beginnig of planning to the end of your special night. AND, accomodate all of the unplanned, unexpected events that may occur on your day with exceptional skill. A tropical storm cannot even ruin your day here (I would know). Their experience is the ADVANTAGE over other vendors. Whether your planning local (or from Ohio) you will find the wedding experience at BHG to be a wonderful process. I have been to many beautiful weddings, but none as beautiful as the one at the Burroughs Home and Gardens (ok so I was the bride, but I TRUELY would feel this way anyways). Websters catering produced PHENOMINAL food for us and touched on ALL of the special additions that we wanted for our guests. You will feel like your day at BHG deserves a photo spread in a wedding magazine. To all the future brides out there, When it comes to making a decision about the wedding venue...you get what you pay for. I cannot say enough wonderful things about BHG.

Sent on 02/26/2012
  • Mitch & Sara

Sara · Married on 04/24/2010

Beautiful venue! Right on the Caloosahattee River, downtown Ft Myers.

Sent on 06/02/2010

Elizabeth · Married on 04/21/2017

We had our wedding here 3 weeks ago and it was the best day of my life. The staff was great, even in the midst of job changes. Its the perfect combination of everything we wanted, the house, the water, the pavilion, and all the other little things that it has. I recommend this venue for other brides who want a little bit of every kind of view. :) They were very accommodating and great to work with :)

Sent on 05/11/2017

Burroughs Home & Gardens's reply:

Lizzie, you were a radiant bride! Your family and friends were wonderful and so devoted to making your day so special. We wish you and Nathan a future of happiness and health!

Just booked the Burrough's Home and Gardens for our wedding! They are AWESOME to work with. Recommend for everyone!

Sent on 11/05/2015

Nicolette · Married on 11/12/2011

I would recommend this venue to everyone. Beautiful venue, professional staff, excellent preferred vendors, and a magical historical location for a dream wedding!

Sent on 02/19/2012

Kristine · Married on 01/02/2010

The Burroughs Home was the perfect place for our wedding. The house and grounds are beautiful and the staff was fantastic to work with. They made everything easy and our special day went off without a hitch.

Sent on 05/25/2012

Everything went perfectly the day of. Healy, the wedding coordinator was very helpful the day of making sure everything was going smoothly. Leading up to the event sometime their response to emails would take a couple of days, but nothing too crazy. Overall it was a great venue and experience!

Sent on 04/20/2014

Alyssa · Married on 02/25/2017

3.0

What a beautiful venue! I was willing to look past all of the other drama because this venue is to die for - the value is ridiculously great - and they were extremely flexible for a historic home.
    We did go through a few staff changes and some hiccups with them "breaking up" with their caterer (which was previously the ONLY caterer you could hire) - but the wedding was beautiful, perfect and all around amazing. If this venue can figure out it's management issues, it could easily be a 5 star experience!

Sent on 04/11/2017

Burroughs Home & Gardens's reply:

Beautiful venue befitting a Beautiful Bride - thank you Alyssa!
    We wish you many blessings for a happy marriage!

3.0

I absolutely love the scenery of the Burroughs Home & Gardens. The home and grounds are absolutely beautiful and pleasantly historic. Although the front of the home faces the road and there are bridges around back, the space used inside and out behind the home is pleasantly private. Staff was welcoming, informative, and was able to listen to and answer our questions.

Everything about the Burroughs Home's service was ideal, until there was some unexpected miscommunication between us, the Home, and it's in-house catering service. We were under the impression that we would be able to cater from an outside vendor. and that we would have more "perks" such as a 12-man staff for free the day of.

This false information was a hiccup and a little stress in our planning/ budgeting. However, Jordan from Webster's catering was flexible and able to accommodate to our needs the best he could. His assistance was appreciated. Although catering is a bit more pricey than we hoped and budgeted for (at least, on top of the venue rental fee), I am pleased that we could work something out to best fit our needs/ preferences for our meaningful day.

We probably just hit bad timing during the Home's transition with Jordan stepping on as the official caterer, so hopefully things will be more concrete for future interested couples! :)

Sent on 02/09/2015

This venue was EXACTLY what I wanted, and without Healy I probably would have never made it out alive.

Sent on 05/04/2014

Micayla · Married on 07/08/2017

4.2
      3.0

The venue itself is stunning and made our wedding spectacular. However, six months before the wedding we had change our caterer due to legal issues, which ended up working out for the better, but was still very inconvenient during our planning process. Also, there seems to be a lot of turnover in employment and it was difficult to keep in touch with the right person. Then we found out at the rehearsal dinner that what we'd been told by the previous employee was not true and we had to change our plans. If you plan a summer wedding you will want A.C. units even if they tell you won't need them.. you will. Or at least grandma will. Also make sure you get your things out of the house early so you don't have to deal with night security. The pavillion is beautiful and the grounds are impecable and thats why we loved this place!

Sent on 07/20/2017

Burroughs Home & Gardens's reply:

Thank you Micayla for your patience during our transition time. We wish you may blessings for the future.

BHG/cse

Hayley · Married on 07/02/2016

3.0

I loved the Burroughs home the minute we visited it! It was actually the only venue we went to! We loved it so much! We loved that everything was right there! The outdoor pavilion is amazing and I always wanted to get married in a really green area with trees and they had that as well!
    I worked with Magen for the whole wedding and she was extremely responsive and would always email me back!
    The only thing that I didn't like was 2 days before the wedding, I all of a sudden had a new coordinator who had no idea what I wanted and I paid Magen the coordinating fee!
    She didn't know anything about the wedding so I had to stay after the rehearsal to explain everything. Then when I got to the Burroughs home she never came up to greet me. And there were problems the day of that I had to fix myself.
    I really wish it would have been Magen on the day of.
    Other than that small hiccup , it didn't take away from the fact that it was a perfect day!!
    The food was AMAZING ! Everyone loved it and the scenery is to die for!

Sent on 07/23/2016

Stephanie · Married on 01/01/2011

2.8
      1.0
      2.5

The BH is a beautiful venue with many unique features that are great for a wedding - like the historic house, riverfront view, giant oaks and comfortable outdoor reception possibilities. HOWEVER, if you plan on getting married anytime from Thanksgiving through January 7th, please take note! The BH is involved in Holiday House, the Christmas decorating extravaganza organized and managed by a complicated overlapping of politically charged committees or sub-committees. Essentially, it is run by the wives of the "good ol' boys" of Fort Myers. During this time frame, the house WILL be decorated for Christmas. You will not get to remove decorations early; you will not be told what the theme is before you need to book the date; you will have no say in the decor of the house. Last year, the theme was "Victorian Christmas," which complimented the Victorian house and the season beautifully. This year it was "A Child's View of Christmas," which is not conducive to an elegant wedding (think of a Christmas tree decorated entirely with sock monkeys). If you book during this time period, no one will have mercy on you as a bride. Ask about the theme early - they decide as early as May but they won't disclose the theme very willingly. Additionally, the BH director/curator (who is not a part of the decorating committees) gets a cut from all the vendors you bring to the venue. And that is NOT disclosed either. So, in conclusion... The beauty of the BH speaks for itself. But be careful about nondisclosure - not everything is as forthcoming. And if you are getting married between Thanksgiving and the second week of January, be aware of the decor wildcard and unrelenting political power plays that will follow!

Sent on 01/18/2011
  • User2085316 · 2+ years ago

2.2
      2.0

We booked our wedding in 2014, and because of some issues, we had to move it to 2016, rather than 2015. During that time, the Burroughs Home went through some organizational changes. I always somewhat felt like balls were getting dropped with regards to my wedding, and as we got closer to the wedding, I definitely felt this was the case. I received a call about a week prior from the home stating they couldn't' find my signed contract, or that I had paid my initial deposit and was wondering if I could send in the receipts of copy of check again. Not something a bride who's getting married in a week wants to be bothered with. Apparently they did find it, as they did not call back. The day of the wedding was beautiful. However, as it got dark out and we were at the reception in the pavilion, I noticed there were ZERO lights on on the property. People were walking to the bathroom using their flashlights on their cellphones to find the way... My almost 8 year old daughter almost had an accident because she couldn't find the bathroom, and there were many children as well as older people there who could have gotten hurt in the dark (not to mention the river is right there). The lights wrapped around the palms should have been on, as well as lights in the bushes. My 25 year old nephew finally must have found a plug and turned some on, which helped, but this is not something the guests should have been responsible for.

Now, outside of the issues I had -- the venue is GORGEOUS. I feel truly lucky that I was able to get married here as this was my top pick. I really just feel like there was some unprofessional things going on and I don't know if it stemmed from our caterer, which was the previous event manager, or the home. Or possibly both.

If I were to recommend this venue to a friend, I would say proceed with caution. Things may have changed, as they have a different event manager now, but this was the experience I had.

Sent on 03/18/2016

Collin · Married on 01/07/2017

1.8
      1.5
      0.5

Let me be clear in saying the home is beautiful, the pavilion is perfect and the grounds are the perfect atmosphere for a special day. However the property wedding or events manager Cindy who unfortunately took over the role after we had booked our venue is a complete disservice to this wonderful venue. If it weren't for our coordinator, I probably would have left a much worse review and been incredibly unhappy with our wedding day. Upon arriving to the grounds it seemed as if Cindy and the staff forgot there was a wedding that day so I being the groom and a few groomsmen picked up lingering trash around the homes patio. Upon vendors and wedding party arriving Cindy's dog was on the ground chasing arriving vendors, guest and wedding party and of course dog go to the bathroom and unfortunately one of our wedding party members stepped in it. The icing on the cake was the terrible and completely unprofessional policy that the house be closed and locked at 6:30 and all belongings are to be removed from the house. That would have been inconvenient but managed had someone been made aware. Instead Cindy took it upon herself to put all of the wedding parties belongings on the porch of the home as well as anything else we had in the house. Mind you that day temperatures were in the low 50's with 20+ mph winds. Needless to say she had little to no regard for the people who had payed close to $4k to reserve the space. Safely more money than they make in several months in tours of the home you would think some sort care or respect would be take for our things. It's not a surprise to learn we are not the only ones displeased with the current director. I have been informed filing a complaint with supervisors obviously falls on deaf ears so the best course for action is to contact the mayor and city manager. Which will be happening!

Sent on 01/23/2017