Buckboard Catering & Events Reviews

Buckboard Catering & Events 5
Buckboard Catering & Events 6
Buckboard Catering & Events 7

Kim · Married on 04/28/2018

Buckboard was awesome!! My husband and I feel super lucky to have worked with such a talented, fun, and professional team for our wedding at the Martin Johnson House in La Jolla April 2018. Our guests RAVED and RAVED about the food - it's now 3 months after our wedding and our guests are still talking about how delicious the food was! Our event manager was Crystal, and she and her team (including the bartender!) totally understood our vibe and the mood we wanted to present on our wedding day. Everything from the food, table presentations, market lighting, staff and suggestions on how to lay out the setting was perfect. Crystal made sure everything flowed smoothly, and was so awesome in everything she did. We are so thankful for her help and guidance throughout the planning of the wedding to the execution on our wedding day. We highly recommend Buckboard and Crystal for any event. Thanks again for everything Crystal and Buckboard!

Sent on 07/29/2018

Maggie · Married on 11/22/2015

We got married at the Martin Johnson House, and Buckboard was on our list of preferred caterers that we were required to stick to. We were almost ready to go with Piatti when we stopped by the venue to look around for fun and ran into Bill setting up a wedding. We got to chatting and he immediately sold us on Buckboard without even trying to! We cannot say enough wonderful things about Bill, Veronica, and the entire staff at Buckboard Catering. They are so organized and on top of every detail, and truly go above and beyond the duties of a caterer. They gave us a wonderful all vegetarian fall themed menu that fit our budget, and even picked up kosher meals for family members that needed them. They accommodated all of our ridiculous dietary restrictions with a smile, and the whole staff was really wonderful to work with. Bill was our primary contact throughout the planning process, and he was ALWAYS available, no matter how busy he was with other events. We really cannot stress enough how wonderful this company was to work with! Everyone loved the food, vegetarian or not!

Sent on 12/16/2015

Betsy · Married on 08/21/2015

If I could give Buckboard and Bill more stars I would. Without a doubt I would pick Buckboard and Bill over and over again. The food is wonderful and they work with you to make everything perfect. It was exactly what I was wanting for my wedding day and guests couldn't stop talking about it days after. Bill is the man. He gets the job done and is the best at what he does!

Sent on 09/10/2015
  • Lindsay S

Lindsay · Married on 06/14/2015

First of all Bill is amazing. He is so great to work with and makes sure your event is a priority. We hired Buckboard Catering for our rehearsal dinner. While usual rehearsal dinners are held in some fancy restaurant where no one has the chance to interact, we chose to have ours a park where we could play lawn games and mingle. Buckboard arrived on time and were very professional. The food was incredible, hot, and fresh. We ordered a delicious Tex Mex dinner that was filling, yet clean tasting. All of our guests went back for seconds, the food was so delicious. We ordered a selection of meat feelings as well as the vegetarian selection of mushrooms and veggies. Let me tell you, I am a vegetarian, and I typically don't like mushrooms, but they were amazing, just thinking about them now makes me hungry. Whether it's for a rehearsal dinner, your wedding, or any event, Buckboard will be perfect for you and your guests. They are so easy to work with, professional, and their food is amazing!!! What are you waiting for, hire them today.

Sent on 10/13/2015

Buckboard was on the list of allowed vendors of the venue we chose. After doing 4 tasting sessions at different vendors, we decided to go with Buckboard for the quality of the food.
    We had a wedding for 50 guests only and their price was hard to beat! Also, we live in Chicago, and planning a wedding in San Diego was a lot easier with Bill's help!!! He is extremely friendly and talkative and he knows everything about wedding, not only the food part! I'm a very decided person, but sometimes what we have in mind is not the best idea. Bill give you his opinion about anything you ask. He is there for you!!! Even though we hired a catering company we ended up with a wedding coordinator as well!
    And the best part, everybody LOVED the food!! It was absolutely delicious!!! So, if you're afraid that the food you have in a tasting won't be the same at the reception, go with Buckboard! It was a very pleasant surprise to remember how delicious their food is!! And Bill, thanks for all, we couldn't do without you!

Sent on 07/02/2015

Matt · Married on 05/15/2015

We'd been at a wedding last summer catered by Buckboard, and so it was our first call for our wedding this May. We knew the food would be good, and we'd heard the price would be right (it was), but we had no idea how helpful Bill Benson would be in coordinating everything about our wedding. It was amazing. His responsiveness was ridiculously quick. He corrected minor issues before they became actual problems. And when the weather took a turn for the worse (100% chance of rain -- FLASH FLOOD WARNING -- at our 100% outdoor venue!!!) he was the guy who got to the venue at 7:00AM to wrestle with the tents and make sure everything was perfect. By the way, it wasn't perfect. The tents that showed up were significantly smaller than they were supposed to be. So Bill (in concert with Amy and Lindsay from First Comes Love) got ahold of our party rental company and made it very clear what needed to happen immediately. Their coordination efforts SAVED OUR WEDDING from being a fiasco. No exaggeration.

In the end, the rain stopped about 2 hours before our ceremony, and we had beautiful weather, but literally everything would have had to be moved around and crammed together to fit inside the tents that had initially been put up. Happily, they were torn down and replaced with what we'd originally been guaranteed. Bill -- in the rain at 7:00AM -- made that happen.

The food was outstanding. You never remember much from your own wedding, but the food was very good. We went buffet to save money, but opted for a plated salad, which added a little bit of class. We brought in our own alcohol, which saved a lot of money. The staff was remarkably attentive. My bride and I were met with a tray of appetizers and a specialty cocktail as we exited our ceremony. A staff member literally held a napkin under the bride's chin to keep her from spilling on the dress as she ate. That level of attentiveness -- combined with delicious food -- is what sets Buckboard apart.

Sent on 07/01/2015

KATHLEEN · Married on 04/10/2015

This is a long overdue review but Buckboard Catering catered our wedding back in April 2015 at the Martin Johnson House in La Jolla. They were easy to work with and the pricing was so reasonable compared to other caterers. I ended up not having a wedding coordinator. They ended up coordinating most of the wedding which totally went smoothly and wouldn't have it any other way. They arranged all the table settings, the candy favors and even coordinated the procession. Food was great and people were talking about it after the wedding. We ended up having mango tart pies, instead of a cake, and they cut up all the pies, no "cake cutting fee." They were great. They were professional and easy to coordinate with and very responsive. Bill was great!!!

Sent on 09/07/2018
    Buckboard Catering & Events 15
    Buckboard Catering & Events 16
    Buckboard Catering & Events 17
  • User4471916 · 2+ years ago

Bill is an absolute pleasure to work with. He is very responsive via email and phone. He made it very clear that he would handle any tough issues that came up so we would not have to stress over them. Bill never hesitated to jump in and help out, even if the task may have been outside his scope of services. He approached our event as if it was being held for his own friends and family. We really appreciated his responsiveness and attention to detail. Not to mention the food was DELICIOUS. Many of our guests commented on how good the food was. Bill provided catering services for our wedding, but I would recommend him for any major event. He is simply the best!

Sent on 10/14/2014

Jennifer · Married on 08/16/2014

Hiring Buckboard was absolutely one of the best decision we could have made when wedding planning! The food was wonderful and we got so many compliments it about it during and after the wedding! Not only was the food great and incredibly competitively priced (in fact, they were the only company we tasted through even though we live here and were planning a year in advance!), but Bill and his team were a dream come true. OK, that's a bit cheesy, but I truly enjoyed working with them. Bill so obviously love what he does and went above and beyond for the entire year we were planning together. He was more than willing to answer questions that were above and beyond what I should have been asking a caterer. I was so thankful for this, especially considering that I didn't have a coordinator. Bill and Veronica worked within my limited budget. They found great ways for me to cut corners where it was less important, but let me know where they recommended I don't skimp (much appreciated!). They were also incredibly flexible, like when Veronica offered to meet me in PB to pick napkins to save me the trip to the office. Finally, Bill just has such a calming presence that left me feeling 100% confident that all would run smoothly the day of the wedding. And it was a truly perfect day. I can't thank you guys enough!

Sent on 09/09/2014

Ellie · Married on 05/15/2014

Mary and Bill were so great to work with. They were responsive and went beyond what they signed up to help with to make this wedding a success. Thank You, Thank You, Thank YOU. And the food was Delish.

Sent on 05/22/2014

Melody and Natasha · Married on 03/20/2014

Buckboard Catering was the most delicious food I’ve ever eaten at a wedding! Their food was prepared with fresh ingredients and the selection was great! They have drastically raised my standard of wedding cuisine and I would use them over again if I had the chance. The service was great and the staff was professional at all times even during the preparation leading up to the big day. We were never once concerned about how the food would turn out because they gave us all the confidence in the world that our wedding was just as important to them as it was for us!

Sent on 05/09/2014

Kristine · Married on 07/08/2016

Excellent food. Our guests raved about the food, especially the pulled pork! They were responsive and allowed us to come in for a tasting twice before we made up our minds about the food. To be fair, we already knew we wanted to book them, but had a hard time deciding on the food. Tough to narrow it down! They even provided the chairs and tables and helped move them from ceremony to reception. We worked with Fadi who went beyond just catering. He also recommended our wedding coordinator Bree and Paige from I Love You More Events, which is one of the best advice I could have gotten. It was easy and a breeze to work with them.

If you want delicious food, good service, while feeling taken care of, hire Buckboard Catering!

Sent on 07/12/2016

Chelsea · Married on 04/26/2014

They went above and beyond helping with all aspects of my wedding, not just the catering. They were very professional and courteous, the food was amazing, the service was great. My one complaint is that I had asked in email correspondence what all was included and I was told that basically everything was included, then later my bill doubled and I was told that the service was not included in the price. I was a bit shocked to say the least. fortunately my mom was able to cover the other half the bill, but just be aware the pricing online does not include anything besides the cost of food. Even though I was a bit sour because of that incident, I would highly recommend them simply because their service was superb. The coordinators I spoke to thought of every little detail I had overlooked and made some very helpful suggestions. They also went out of the way to accommodate a significant change to our wedding the day before (we moved our start time two hours ahead).

Sent on 05/11/2014

Kristine and · Married on 03/12/2016

Working with Fadi and Buckboard Catering was great! The food was good for the price. We had three appetizers
    - Caprese skewer
    - Asian shrimp skewer
    - Steak kabob

I loved all three of these at our tasting, I didn't get to eat much on our wedding day. But Fadi did chase us around with a platter of appetizers and they were delicious. Note, these are simple appetizers and great for cocktail hour. They're not messy like eating a pasty puff when the crumbs fall all over you or eating a chicken wing and you're desperate for a napkin. I highly recommend these if you're looking for something simple yet delicious.

For main course we did buffet -- their signature buffet:
    -Santa Maria Style Tri Tip
    -Chicken with Creamy Caper Lemon Sauce
    -Roasted Red Potato Quarters with Sour Cream & Chives
    -Roasted Vegetable Medley

I liked this assortment, during the tasting I had a chance to sample and eat all of them, but on the wedding day I only ate some of the chicken and potatoes (I loved the way they were seasoned and they were great with the sour cream and chives). I guess I was too excited to eat! Though when we had a tasting I did like the food. Presentation at the wedding was good -- we had it at the Martin Johnson House and they had the food inside the house.

Of course, a big chunk of the catering is food but service also plays a part. Their servers were very nice and friendly. They made sure everything was looking lovely before the wedding. Fadi, the manager who also served as our coordinator, was AMAZING. He really stepped up to serve as a day of coordinator by contacting our vendors a few days before and on the day of making sure everything ran smoothly. He checked up on me regularly a few days before the wedding asking if I needed any help with anything and not to hesitate to ask him for any help. We had a mishap with alcohol and he went to get more booze for our guests.

I was really impressed with Buckboard! I'd definitely recommend!

Sent on 04/05/2016