Brides by SB Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2016 Winner

• I
    Isabel B. Married on 06/12/2022

The best decision

I forget how I found Sarah but I'm so happy I did because she was fantastic! Right from the start, Sarah was warm, welcoming, and wonderful to speak with. Booking was a breeze and communication was always seamless – my questions and any concerns were always answered in a timely matter.

Day of, Sarah and her team showed up on time and ready to go. They were kind, funny, and made the morning very stress-free. Our make up looks were stunning, my mom remarked it was the best makeup she's ever had. I don't usually wear makeup but Sarah made me feel stunning, I couldn't stop smiling all day. She referenced my inspiration often, even stepping away from it when appropriate. For instance, my sisters have two different hair types and Sarah adjusted their hair styles to match their hair texture and to accentuate their faces. I'm so happy I booked Brides by SB, they made my wedding day absolutely perfect!
  • Samantha
    Samantha Married on 04/29/2022
      5.0 out of 5 rating

The most stress free process

I found Sarah after my initial hair and make up person fell through, and even though her packages were more than what I had budgeted for on H&MU, it was worth locking her in for our wedding. Sarah is so easy to work with, and she communicated very well along the way (which I was so grateful for and impressed by considering she's got 2 little ones). I really appreciated the questionnaires she sent along the way to get the conversation going about looks and styles, and the attention she paid to each person's skin type and skincare routine. From our first phone call together I felt at ease with her immediately and knew that I could trust her. Half of my bridal party were Asians, so it was important to us to find someone who understood how to work with those features (you'd be surprised, I've gotten professional hair and make up done by Asian artists that I did not like!)
    During our trial and even on the morning of, Sarah took time chatting with each person about the process and the styles we were looking for, I think this put everyone at ease and helped those who were indecisive make a decision about what they wanted. Most of my bridesmaids do not wear make up on the regular, so they were so pleased when they got glammed up but still looked and felt like themselves. I have to admit even for myself that at the end of the night, I was a little bummed to take everything off because of how much I liked the look. One of my bridesmaid had short hair but wanted an updo to keep her hair out of her face, and Sarah and her assistant Colleen worked magic to achieve just that.
    The moms also had their hair and make up done, and overall we were just so pleased and grateful to Sarah for being willing to travel up to us in the Hudson Valley to complete our wedding looks.
    Kathy Z. Married on 08/07/2021
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Actual natural makeup for wedding

Right after my wedding, I knew I was going to give a positive 5 star review for Sarah because of how much I loved my hair & makeup, but after working with a different artist for another wedding as a bridesmaid, I wish I could give Sarah more than 5 stars.

Sarah is not only talented, she actually took the time before and after my trial to understand what I liked and what I didn't like. She gave me tips on how to get my skin glowing, took the time to put a sheet mask on me, and would also wet and blow-dry my hair before styling, which other artists don't take the time to do. I didn't love the makeup we did for trial, but with the skincare tips that Sarah suggested during trial and the adjustments on the day of the wedding, I really loved how it turned out -- I looked like myself, just a little more glam. As someone who barely wears makeup on a day to day basis, Sarah actually knew how to do a natural, "no makeup makeup" look.

Working with Sarah was truly like doing hair and makeup with your girlfriend. She's easy to work with and was so professional. I had a hiccup with my venue delaying access to the suite in the morning, which delayed my schedule; however, Sarah and Coleen still showed up early, worked quickly, and helped me and my mom get back on my tight timeline.
    I highly recommend Sarah!
  • illustration stars

Are you interested?

Send a message
  • Rachel
    Rachel Married on 06/05/2021

Shimmer Glow Natural Elevated Perfection

After two trials with different artists that I didn't feel quite captured the look I was seeking, I found Brides by SB and knew that my third time would be the charm. And boy did Sarah deliver! She brought my vision to life for the trial and exceeded what I could have hoped for for the Wedding through the minor adjustments we discussed post-trial.

Before the trial, Sarah has you fill out a survey where you describe yourself and what you desire for the wedding through various prompts. During the trial, she asks you questions on preference for every step - and I really appreciated this. She takes the time to get to know exactly what you want so that she can make it happen with her expertise. We achieved a natural shimmery make-up base paired with a textured bun, with a braid worked in from one side, and a few curls let loose to frame the face.

I'm so very grateful to have been the happiest bride knowing that I looked as great as I felt on my wedding day, and I received so many compliments on how stunning I looked, which would not have been possible without Sarah.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Q. Married on 09/19/2020

Wonderful Artist!

While researching for an Asian hair and makeup artist, I found Sarah and I am so glad I went with her for my wedding. Sarah plays attention to detail and listens to what the bride wants. I booked Sarah for my BMs, MOB, MOG, and Groom. Everyone was really satisfied with the end results. During the trial and wedding, I told Sarah my skin was dry and she used a face mask for both times. My lips were also cracking and dry during wedding day and she used a lip cream that moisturized my lips instantly.

For my hair, I definitely wanted hair extensions and Sarah managed to find ones that matched perfectly with my hair. I was so excited! I was going for a long wavy look, kinda like Rapunzel but not as long. She did exactly what I was imagining. I didn’t opt for touches during the rest of the wedding but my hair and makeup stayed perfect the whole day.

For the makeup, I wanted a more sophisticated natural look. I typically don’t do much for makeup, so I was a bit nervous when I booked Sarah for makeup as well. I thought about doing my own makeup but since it was my wedding, I wanted to look more special than I usually do. Sarah did a perfect job. The eyelash extensions were very natural looking and my makeup did not look powdery or cakey. I am so honored to have Sarah at my wedding.
  • Andrea
    Andrea Married on 09/07/2019
      5.0 out of 5 rating

Sarah makes you beautiful!

Sarah is the best! Before my makeup trial she sent a questionnaire about my skin condition, photos of myself, and my hair/makeup inspiration- immediately I could tell she was professional and on point. Day of my makeup trial she made me feel so comfortable, addressed my skin concerns, and worked with me to achieve the perfect look, plus we had a fun time chatting and listening to music. On the BIG DAY, she arrived early to the venue with her colleague Colleen, set up an incredible studio including lighting, and made me and my 4 bridesmaids beautiful!! She worked efficiently and stuck to the timeline. HIGHLY recommend.
  • MaryAnn
    Maryann Married on 06/29/2019

Minimal, natural make-up

I chose Sarah specifically because I was looking for a makeup artist who was familiar with Asian clients and could provide a natural look. From the wedding trial to the wedding day, she was a breath of fresh air. Before the trial, she gathered information about my style, my dress, and my skincare regiment. During the trial, she was very responsive to my requests but also gently made recommendations that were far better. She also took the time to try out several hair styles. In the end, the final look turned out beautifully. I would highly highly recommend her.
  • Jane
    Jane Married on 05/19/2019

Sarah is the best!

I had a makeup trial with Sarah before my wedding and she was so friendly and was genuinely concerned for my skin! Thanks to her, I upped my skin care routine in time for my wedding. Sarah did my bridal makeup and my mom's makeup beautifully. We got tons of compliments and my makeup lasted all day. I would definitely recommend her, especially those looking for someone who knows Asian features.
    Keith Married on 03/09/2019
      5.0 out of 5 rating

So glad we went with Sarah!

I never got around to doing a trial so the first day I met Sarah was the day of my wedding. I decided to book her based on some reviews I read, photos on her website/ IG, and off her first email to me. Her rates were reasonable and her communication was just so professional and sweet so I felt comfortable moving forward and I’m really glad I did.
    It can be nerve-wracking if you are unable to do a trial and you are meeting your HMU artist the morning of your wedding. But Sarah is amazing. She asked all the questions about your skin/hair/etc beforehand to make sure she fully understands what you are looking for and she comes prepared! She and her 2nd artist Coleen arrived right on time, set up super quick, and even came supplied with lighting. I had 3 bridesmaids also getting hair and makeup in addition myself, and Sarah and Coleen powered straight through for 4 hours working to get us all ready on time. In the end, everyone looked amazing. I’m very happy I went with Sarah, she is a true professional!
    Karen Married on 09/22/2018

Couldn't be more happy!

I am so so happy to have found Sarah and Brenda. After having two bad trials with other artists, it dawned on me that these are two individual art forms and with one artist, when I was happy with one form, I wasn't happy with the other. I decided to look for a duo - one who specialized in hair and another who specialized in makeup.

For the trial, they came to my apartment and discussed why I wasn't happy with my previous sessions. We ran through two looks afterwards -- one based on what I wanted (or so I thought) and one based on what they recommended. We ended up going mostly with the second look. My husband even commented that they did a great job. This coming from a man who thinks I look best au naturel and even suggested I go sans makeup if I couldn't find a good hair/makeup artist.

On the day of, everything was super smooth. I am super thankful that they were able to arrive early in the morning on site to start hair and makeup in time for our 9:30AM first look. They were very flexible with any last minute changes and I was happy to see that they referred to my latest email because they fulfilled every request I made. They made me look like my best self. It was beautiful but natural and it stayed that way through the entire wedding (ceremony and reception), even with all the dancing.

This was one of the easiest vendor decisions I made. They are the nicest people and I love that they’re friends in real life. It’s a great dynamic. I also want to note that they worked on my bridal party + my mom + groom (hair). It’s a pretty diverse group. Everyone looked incredible.
    Mrs S. Married on 09/15/2018

Simply Wonderful

I've been meaning to write this review but things got super busy right after our wedding! We were looking for a new place to live before the winter, moved, got hit with jury duty right after, and balancing changes going on at work at the same time. We haven't even gone over our wedding pictures yet!

Putting all that aside, my experience with Brenda and Sarah was wonderful. I was looking for someone who had experience putting on makeup on asians and is gentle with hair styling. I've had horrible experiences with makeup artists who claimed they knew how to put makeup on asians (especially around the eyes) and I came out looking like a different person in a bad way.

After searching and doing trials with some makeup artists and hairstylist, I contacted Sarah and Brenda and had a trial with them. I told them my concerns about my hair and the style of makeup I was looking for. Sending pictures helped. You can discuss with them about the look you're going for, and they will walk you through with what they are doing. They care about what you think and how you feel and will make adjustments where it is needed. They travel to you to do the trials/hair and makeup on your wedding day. How awesome is that?

My concern with my hair was that too much product would be needed to make sure the soft waves I wanted will last for at least 4 hours--which would lead to crunchy, stiff hair as a result. My hair is straight and usually curls won't last more than 2 hours. I was so glad that wasn't the case. Yes, Sarah had to use a bunch of products but my hair remained soft and curly.

I didn't have to worry about looking unnatural with Brenda applying my makeup. She used soft warm colors and didn't object to using some of my own products. I felt all dolled up. Also, the individual lashes she applied on me were really comfortable and I didn't feel like they were poking me nor were they heavy.

On the day of the wedding, they worked on my mom and maid of honor as well. My mom and maid of honor are not used to wearing much makeup but Brenda made them look beautiful and rather than applying heavy makeup, she used light makeup to enhance their features to keep them looking natural.

Sarah did my maid of honor's hair style, which was an updo. My maid of honor's only concern was that the updo would be too tight and she'd get a headache. Plus she doesn't like too many products and stiff hair either. Sarah put her at ease and the strategic placements of the pins in her hair were comfortable and her hairstyle didn't feel tight. My maid of honor was so comfortable that at one point, she was falling asleep when Sarah was working on her hair.

Everyone at the wedding complimented our looks and said that these two ladies did an awesome job. You can also talk to them leading up to the wedding on any changes or questions you have. They are very friendly and know what they are doing. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Patty Married on 11/11/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Brides by SB is a wedding dream team! Not only are Sarah and Brenda incredible hair and makeup artists, but they're SO fun to work with. They really get to know you and your style and use that to guide what they create on you.

For hair, I wanted something soft and romantic and — having seen one too many stuffy updos — originally thought about keeping it down, but the one that Sarah created was a unanimous yes during my trial. It was super windy on my wedding day, but thanks to some extra pins and hairspray, everything stayed intact — even after a first look on the rooftop and photos by the East River!

When it came to makeup, Brenda and I were on the same page about using just enough coverage to smooth out my skin, but still letting my freckles shine through. Plus, she's a skincare pro and gives great advice on how to care for it in the months leading up to your wedding, so you'll be not just looking, but feeling your best.

Sarah and Brenda did such an amazing job. I would book them again in a heartbeat and recommend them to every bride-to-be I know.

Rachel Married on 09/17/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I reached out to Sarah and Brenda after I had a bad HMU trial with a different stylist and I'm so glad they were available for my wedding. They came to my house for the trial and executed the exact look I wanted. Both me and my husband were so happy after the trial that we booked them right away. On the day of the wedding, they traveled to the hotel my bridesmaids and I were staying at and got started. They were punctual with finishing everyones look and headed over to the venue to do HMU for my mom and MIL. All in all, they made everyone look AMAZING not only on the day of but in photos as well. I was so pleased with their services and know they'll do a great job on future clients!!
    Hannah Married on 08/13/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Sarah and Brenda did my wedding hair and makeup and my family's hair and makeup this past weekend and I can't say enough good things about this terrific duo! As other reviewers have said, Brenda and Sarah are incredibly kind, responsive, accommodating and actually listen to what you want.

I had my trial in the Spring and got to try a few different hair and makeup styles. During my trial, we talked about the type of wedding I was planning, my dress style and any accessories I had. Sarah and Brenda took lots of pictures for me to mull over after the trial. They were totally laid back and made me feel comfortable. For the last couple of months before my wedding, they were readily available to answer all of my questions through email (how last minute changes in accessories would affect my hair style, skincare suggestions, etc). A few weeks before the wedding, they sent an outlined schedule of who would be getting their hair and makeup done at various times so we could plan the morning accordingly.

On my wedding day in Brooklyn, Sarah and Brenda got to my hotel early and were immediately ready to go! They were so sweet to my family and my future in-laws as we ate breakfast, joked around, hung out with my dog, etc. Each family member wanted a different style of hair and makeup and Brenda and Sarah were very accommodating. They were unfazed when different family members came to the hotel room to say hi and to take pictures of us getting ready. At the end of our session, they touched everyone up and made sure everyone looked amazing. Sarah taught my sister how to put in my veil without ruining my hair as I wanted portraits with and without it on. Brenda made sure we weren't oily and our makeup didn't budge as temperatures were reaching 85+ degrees.

Throughout the whole night, my hair and makeup stayed put through eating, drinking and dancing and I couldn't have been happier! Please don't hesitate and book Sarah and Brenda now!
    Mari Married on 09/24/2016
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    After finding a quality photographer, my next mission was finding quality hair and makeup artists- because what else will be in those pictures you look back on forever besides your face?

Brenda and Sarah are extremely responsive, thoughtful and really LISTEN to what you want. They are also very flexible in traveling for your trial and your wedding day- which was really helpful in not having to run around on an already hectic day.

I loved my hair and makeup trial with them, they make suggestions and give their professional insight on what may or may not work based on what you want to look like- but they never pressure you into anything (unlike some other people who try to sell add-ons just for the sake of up-selling). I thought what they did at my trial was already amazing taking the random pictures I sent them of people who don't look like me and my vague descriptions of what I wanted into a beautifully done look- but then they really took it up a notch for the actual wedding. My make-up and hair for the wedding lasted ALL day and well into the night- even after I worked up a good sweat on the dance floor multiple times. They also did the hair and makeup for my 6 bridesmaids and the makeup for my mom. I did mismatched dresses for my bridesmaids, and I also gave them full control of what they wanted to look like. Brenda and Sarah did amazingly with 6 different personalities, skin types/tones, face and eye shapes. Everyone looked like their own version of a beautiful and elegant, with a hint of sexy and glam princess- yet all looked effortlessly natural.

I could not recommend them highly enough. I'm sitting here trying to think up of when I can possibly use them again so I can look that beautiful again!
    Stephanie Married on 08/30/2015
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    There are only good things that I can say about Brides by SB. Sarah and Brenda were extremely easy to work with and are experienced professionals of their field. They were prompt to respond to my emails and very flexible. One look at my dress and the venue and they knew exactly what needed to be done. They really understood the style that I was going for and were very responsive to my suggestions. I was going for a natural but elegant and sophisticated look. Sarah and Brenda captured this look perfectly and I could not have been happier and more relaxed on my wedding day. They recommended a light touch up for my husband to make sure the pictures would turn out nice. He was nervous about this at first, but it turned out super natural and was great for the photography. I would book them again in a heartbeat and highly recommend them to any bride looking for a stress free and highly professional hair and make-up experience on her wedding day!
    Tracy Married on 06/20/2015
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I am so glad these 2 wonderful and skilled ladies were available on my wedding day. My other stylist was being very inflexible with regards to travelling to me on my big day, so I contacted Sarah and Brenda. So glad I did! They were really friendly, professional, and did a great job. I wanted something natural looking and to keep my oily shine at bay. Whatever Brenda put on me worked (well, at least until toward the end of the night, but who cares once the photographer leaves?!). I basically told Sarah to do my hair in whatever looked nice and she did! They also did my mom's makeup and my MOH's hair and they looked great. They came and finished with plenty of time.
    Priscilla Married on 10/26/2014
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I used Sarah and Brenda for my engagement photos and wedding day hair/makeup for myself and my bridesmaids. My hair came out stunning and stayed in place all night long and I didn't have a head full of 20+ bobby pins to dig around for at the end of the night. The hairstyle complimented my face shape and my wedding dress so well. The makeup was stunning! It was extremely glamorous but not ridiculously over the top or gaudy. And it didn't smudge one bit, even through all the tears of joy! Sarah and Brenda are amazing and they truly work magic to make you look and feel absolutely beautiful on your very special day! I highly recommend them to everyone i know!
    Jennifer Married on 07/13/2014
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Brenda and Sarah were probably my favorite vendors from all the people I've worked with throughout my wedding planning. They were extremely professional, helpful and most importantly, honest. I went to them with a single idea, a picture of how I thought I wanted to look for my big day. After various hair and makeup trials, I had to give it to the professionals. They honored my request and gave me my demo. But after reviewing the style of my dress, the shape of my face, they were able to give me a better suggestion. After I reviewed all of my options, I decided to go with their suggestion. Most of my vendors were too afraid to voice their opinion, they mostly wanted to make a sale. It's quite refreshing to have someone who is willing to be giving you their utmost opinion.
  • User2024639 2+ years ago
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Sarah and Brenda are amazing! I used them for my hair and makeup for my engagement pictures and had a great experience so of course I sought them out for my wedding day. Sarah and Brenda were very patient and extremely helpful as I wasn't sure what kind of style I wanted for my hair that day. They were willing to try different styles and even accommodated me for a second trial when I was still unsure after the first one. They never rushed or dismissed my opinions but were always attentive to detail and helpful in every way. In the end they helped me find the perfect look and I was extremely happy about it! They made me and my bridesmaids look amazing the day of the wedding. I was thoroughly impressed by them and I would highly recommend their services.
  • User1968883 2+ years ago
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SARAH & BRENDA!!! they were hired to do my hair & make up for my engagement shoot & wedding and I LOVED THEM! They were professional & accommodating with arranging trials and scheduling on the day of the wedding/engagement shoots. Both Brenda & Sarah were very good with understanding and capturing the style that I wanted. What I appreciated during the trials were how they were honest with what worked and didn't work while still honoring what I wanted as a client too. Brenda's make up styling was great but one thing I want to point out is how GREAT she is with putting on the fake eyelashes! (makes them look full and NATURAL!). For Sarah, I loved how my hair looked without looking like it was plastered in place with hairspray --thus allowing the hair to still look like it had movement in it.

Previously as a bridesmaid, I've experienced runny eye make up, thousands of bobby pins and half my updo falling apart by the end of the night. So for my own wedding day, I expected to experience some of this, thinking it was just inevitable. But NOPE! Brenda's make up stayed the whole time! And the hair Sarah did was still gorgeous even with the few bobby pins she used!
    All my bridesmaids were impressed with them too! To the point where one of my girls hired them shortly after for her own wedding.

I'm going to definitely use them again for any future occasions!
    Jennifer Married on 05/12/2012
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Having Brenda as my makeup artist for my wedding and engagement photoshoot has been one of the best decisions I've made for my big day. I've gotten professional makeup done before for my friends wedding but I wasn't satisfied with their service and my makeup was runny by the end of the day. Brenda was really attentive to my needs and she went out of her way to meet my schedule for the makeup trials. I never felt rushed or felt like I was just another client on her list. Despite the heat I had to endure on my wedding day, my makeup stayed intact and I was surprised when my makeup didn't smudge as I was crying while walking down the aisle during the ceremony. She covered all of my flaws on my skin without making it feel cakey. I normally don't like to put on fake lashes and was dreading at the thought of it but she was able to apply them where it felt comfortable and didn't feel awkward. Her skills as an artist is superior and I will use her again in the future for all other events.

I used another person for my hair but I've been to weddings where Sara was the hair stylist for the wedding party and they were amazing. I also heard that she uses minimal hair pins. How awesome is that??

I recommend hiring Brides by SB for your special day!
  • User1967729 2+ years ago
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    The idea of hair and makeup makes me weary. Then thinking about makeup melting off my face towards the end of the night, my hair not looking like it did when it was first done and having the makeup and hair not "feel like me," was not something I wanted to deal with on my wedding day. I actually contemplated not having it done at all until my friend introduced me to Brenda and Sarah.

They were very prompt in getting back to me with a trial date, pricing and were more than on time the day of the wedding to do hair and makeup for my mom, my aunt, maid of honor and myself. We are all minimalists but Sarah and Brenda made us all feel great comfortable in the hair and makeup they did for us: we felt like ourselves but so beautiful. They did the hair and makeup to what fit us most (my family and I are Korean, my maid of honor is Jamaican). Not only that, to my very surprise, at the end of the night when I finally had a chance to get to the bathroom, I found that my makeup and hair WAS STILL INTACT. (All ours were!) I walked into the bathroom expecting to wipe some eyeliner running under my eyes (I was basically bawling the entire time), and see some caking on my face but I didn't have to touch anything! And I realized my hair didn't feel like it was falling out place, or I needed to readjust anything! Their work is impeccable and they take the time to listen to what you really want.

I called them up again for hair and makeup a couple of years later for my son's 1st birthday party!
  • User2013916 2+ years ago
    4.9 out of 5 rating
      4.5 out of 5 rating
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I was extremely happy with the makeup and hair by Brenda and Sarah. I had this one hairstyle look I was trying to achieve and with great suggestions from Sarah during my trial I was able to find a look that was just perfect for my big day. She worked with me patiently adjusting each style till it was perfect. Brenda did an amazing job with makeup. All day my makeup was flawless. I'm not used to wearing a lot of makeup, but I absolutely loved the way she applied the makeup, selecting the perfect tones for my completion. They were both great with communication and punctual for the trial and big day. They scheduled my bridesmaids perfectly to make sure we were all ready and on time the morning of my wedding. I loved working with both of them and so grateful for their professionalism and wonderful work that made everyone look their best! Brides by SB was the best vendor I booked and I continue to recommend them to family and friends. I will definitely use them again for other engagements.
illustration stars