Bluewater Kitchen Reviews

Bluewater Kitchen 4
Bluewater Kitchen 5

Michaela Hogarty · Married on 12/10/2019

hire them!

Hiring BWK was the best decision we made in wedding planning by far! I work in the wedding industry as a florist so I've seen my fair share of catering companies and planners and I knew when we spoke with Christina that her, Michael, and their team are the kind of people that truly care about what they do. Needless to say they did not disappoint, everything from the time spent during the tasting, pouring over details, site visits, phone call check-ins, and lastly, the execution of the big day all exceeded our expectations. Another plus was that I had industry friends who are planners and caterers in other states who also agreed that BWK was a solid choice. Do yourself a favor and hire this team!

Bluewater Kitchen 6
    Bluewater Kitchen 13
    Bluewater Kitchen 14
    Sent on 01/09/2020

Hyea Won Lee · Married on 09/07/2019

Amazing farm-to-table experience, Great team to work with

My husband and I worked with Bluewater Kitchen for our wedding at a farm in Virginia, and can't be more thankful for having found them. We were pretty flexible for most of the things in the course of wedding planning but food was among the few priorities we set since it is something both of us care about. I first came across BWK with a strong recommendation from the farm we got married at but it didn't take long to fall in love with their philosophy of using strictly locally sourced products and willingness to work with couples to curate their own menu. In fact, my husband and I were so convinced that we would want to work with BWK that we stopped reaching out to other caterers. Michael, the head chef, was true to details and flexible with any feedback and questions we had during the tasting. He also helped us create an appetizer with pork belly that both of us are very fond of. Many of my friends and family came up to us and said our wedding hors d'oeuvres and reception food were among the best they had at a wedding. Christina and Melissa were just so helpful throughout the entire process and patient with the last minute changes we had for the reception. The BWK team was simply amazing and I sincerely think my wedding day - the happiest and most blessed day I've ever had - wouldn't have been possible without them. We actually had a small episode during the reception but that didn't affect anything and anyone thanks to BWK's professionalism. My recommendation for BWK goes beyond words!

Sent on 10/04/2019

Steven · Married on 08/25/2018

AMAZING!! Truly Amazing! Their whole style and process (farm to table) fit our vibe perfectly. Michael was very accommodating when finalizing our menu and even added a couple extra options for cocktail hour. Since their food steals the show, it is only right to give it a shout out. For our cocktail hour we had, a Brisket Slider Station, Meat and Cheese Boards, Arancini Balls (Best I Have Every Had), Summer Corn and Crab Chips, and Chicken Skewers. Multiple guests said that our cocktail hour was the best they have ever experienced. Bluewater even came up with our signature drinks (White Sangria and Moscow Mule) and they were so delicious I lost track of how many I had (don't tell my wife).

We did our wedding tasting almost a year before the wedding and all the food tasted the exact same. They even accommodated by adding our parents to the tasting. I would tell you more about the tasting, but it was so perfect I want to leave it as a surprise. Bluewater was not just our caterer, Christina was also our wedding planner. We went to their rental studio to pick out all the tables, linens, dinnerware etc and she did an amazing job bringing my wife's vision to life. We even ran into an issue where the table clothes we originally picked were discontinued and Christina not only came up with a new and better design, she also got us a discount from the rental company for the inconvenience. Oh, did we mention she did all this while being pregnant? That's right, Christina and Michael had their baby a month before our wedding, and all throughout her pregnancy, Christina was a true pleasure and extremely professional to work with. Just to make sure that we had the best day, Christina decided to have her friend Becky help her our with our wedding just incase she could not be there. Well it turns out both Christina and Becky were there for our big day and executed everything perfectly. We will never plan another event without the Bluewater team.

Sent on 09/02/2018
  • Maxie

Maxie · Married on 05/26/2018

Overall, we had a very positive experience working with Blue Water Kitchen! We went through a number of tastings before booking with BWK and once we had our tasting with them, there was no going back. They hosted a private tasting for us on their property, giving us a very exclusive feeling experience, and we even sat with the head chef, Michael and talked through what we loved and didn't love. The customized our menu to fit our personalities, while keeping true to their "farm to table" brand. Christina has a unique eye for design and was tremendous when it came time to pick out our table settings. She was extremely communicative leading up to the wedding and very flexible when we ended up with 50 fewer guests than expected. Our guests said that our food was the best they had EVER had at a wedding - and we agree! We especially loved the crab cakes, unique signature cocktails, short ribs, and fun appetizers. We would recommend Blue Water to anyone we meet - they are a wonderful team!

Bluewater Kitchen 15
    Bluewater Kitchen 16
    Sent on 06/29/2018

Christopher · Married on 10/28/2017

Bluewater Kitchen is second to none when it comes to catering. Although they are priced at the higher end of the scale, they are worth every penny. We hired Bluewater for both our rehearsal dinner and reception. We could not be more pleased with the fare that Michael and his team cooked up and delivered. Everything was of the highest quality, from the delectable hors de oeuvre for our cocktail hour, to the perfect reception dinner, to our own crafted “signature” cocktail. They even set up an afterhours “mac and cheese” bar for guests toward the end of the reception. Bluewater’s delicious menu left all our guests satisfied while still wanting more!

We also used Bluewater’s coordination services for the day and Christina was an absolute pleasure to work with. She ensured everything (and everyone) was kept on time in a smooth manner so we did not have to worry about anything except getting married and having fun. Her team’s setup of the reception hall was breathtakingly beautiful.

Bluewater Kitchen’s approach to catering was exactly what we wanted for our wedding and Michael and Christina delivered to us an evening we won’t soon forget. We cannot recommend their services enough.

Sent on 12/02/2017

Dana · Married on 09/30/2017

Christina, Chef Michael and their team are one of a kind. Our wedding was hosted on my Uncle's farm so this was a challenge in itself. They weren't just up for the challenge but they made it look easy! They are such caring and passionate people and truly put their all into their food and event management. Christina made me feel cool, calm and collected every time we spoke and the day of our wedding. Michael was equally as great and worked with us on menu changes. Did I mention their food was amazing?! (Be sure to get the raw bar for cocktail hour). They were the first and only catering company we met with. Communication was always easy and timely. If I could do it all over again we wouldn't change a thing. Thank you for making our dream wedding come true. HIRE THEM ASAP!

Sent on 12/03/2017

Kim · Married on 05/20/2017

Bluewater Kitchen planned the perfect wedding for our daughter and future son-in-law. It was AMAZING! Family and friends had come from all over the country, so it was so important that it be a wonderful event. Christina and her team created an incredible experience and FAR exceeded our expectations. It was truly unbelievable and I would recommend them to anyone who wants an event to remember by all. Many thanks Bluewater and team!

Sent on 06/01/2017

Carlyn · Married on 04/22/2017

I almost don't want to write this because I want to keep them to myself! We hired this dynamite husband/wife team of Michael (chef) and Christina (event coordinator) for our reception and guests are still sending us messages about how phenomenal the food was and what a bad-ass our coordinator was!

I went into this process thinking we'd pick a catering company that was the lowest cost w/the most "acceptable" food because I don't feel like the food is the most memorable part of a lot of the weddings I've been to. A friend who knew Michael and knew of his farm-to-table/local/sustainable style and how that aligns with the groom's and my values suggested we check them out. We went to the tasting thinking we'd already found a caterer earlier in the week but one bite of this homemade potato chip with steak on top that melted in our mouth and it was already "what other caterer?" Their food is stand-out fantastic! Our reception was all cocktail/open seating style rather than traditional plated dinner so they put together a perfect menu of passed apps and a beautiful buffet for the "mains", followed by individual pies for dessert and sliders for midnight snack... all was DELISH!

We provided our own alcohol (BWK helped us calculate) planning for mostly beer/wine drinkers & a "normal" amount of people enjoying the signature drinks but the bartenders were doing such a good job mixing that we actually almost ran out of liquor until Christina sent a staff member out to buy more for us... which leads me to her....

I don't want to plan anything ever again without her! Minor worries or wedding-day drama stayed minor b/c she is a step ahead w/ new ideas & knows how to talk to you when you're a little on the edge. She provides a service that is BEYOND day-of coordinator in so many ways but one that stood out is she's a great stylist! I handed off a ton of decorations and with little direction she made the space stunning beyond my imagination! HIRE THEM!!!!!

Sent on 04/24/2017

Diana · Married on 09/17/2016

Hire Bluewater Kitchen immediately!! Of all of the decisions we made during the wedding, this was certainly the best!

We went with Bluewater Kitchen for both our catering and coordination services. We did multiple tastings prior to making our catering decision, and Bluewater Kitchen’s food was far and away the most delicious, well-presented and highest quality. My husband and I value a great meal and we wanted to reflect our love of food at our wedding. We could not be more pleased with what Michael and his team delivered. Bluewater's delicious menu and creative signature cocktails left a big impression on our guests - our friends and family raved about the food. We also received many compliments about their thoughtful staff. The service was excellent and the servers added to the celebratory and fun nature of the night, even being so kind as to set up an impromptu bar for our afterparty.

As for the coordination services, we cannot recommend Christina more emphatically. She was our trusted partner in planning and went above and beyond in every way to make our event perfect. Her calm and positive attitude made the planning fun. She was full of great ideas, solutions, and wise advice throughout the process. She has an expert eye for design and took the stress out of the planning by helping with details big and small. As a result of all her efforts, the day went seamlessly.

Bluewater Kitchen's farm-to-table approach to catering and personal, design-oriented coordination services provide a level of quality well beyond what other caterers can offer. Christina and Michael are the secret to planning a truly spectacular event, and we cannot recommend their services highly enough.

Sent on 11/07/2016

Jessica · Married on 08/27/2016

We can't say enough positive things about Bluewater Kitchen! From the very start, you could tell that Christina and Michael love what they do and have a real passion for delicious, farm-to-table cuisine, and for planning beautiful events. They both put so much care and thoughtfulness in every aspect of the wedding planning process, from the romantic, beautifully decorated, and delicious tasting, to planning our menu, and working with us to make sure that we were comfortable with every aspect of the wedding planning and decision making process. We worked with Christina as our wedding planner and she was so helpful and always just a text message or phone call away. It was wonderful to have someone to bounce ideas off of during the wedding planning process, assist with decor choices, venue layout, timeline, logistics, and day-of details and organization.

The actual wedding day went off without a hitch! The appetizers and entrees were just as delicious as when we tried them at the tasting, and we featured a "Summer Berry Moscow Mule" as our signature drink; everyone is still raving about that Moscow Mule! The bartenders and servers were all very attentive and friendly, and everyone really put in a huge amount of effort to make our day very special. We were able to relax and fully take in and enjoy every aspect of our wedding day thanks to the entire Bluewater Staff! We highly recommend Bluewater Kitchen, and we would definitely choose them all over again if we could!

Sent on 10/09/2016

Hannah · Married on 08/14/2016

Bluewater Kitchen exceeded all of our expectations and more. The food was incredible (many of our guests commented that it was one of the best wedding dinners they ever had), to include an amazing croquembouche dessert (one guest had 12 profiteroles, and I'm pretty sure the average was 5). They use local, fresh ingredients, which matched our venue perfectly. As our wedding coordinator, Christina was first class. She was with us every step of the way, was so accommodating, and held everything together for us on the big day. Our friends and family commented on how impressed they were with her attentiveness. Her and Michael really created a special day for us, and we'll be forever grateful.

Sent on 08/16/2016

Katy · Married on 06/11/2016

I simply can't say enough good things about Bluewater Kitchen!!! Michael and Christina were an absolute joy to work with and their food is simply the best catering we have ever tasted! When we found Bluewater Kitchen, we were blown away by how much thought and detail was put into their food, as well as how amazingly delicious all of it was. We loved the farm-to-table concept, and that all of the food on our menu would be sourced locally from farms near our wedding venue. We were also thrilled to work with Christina on many of our event details, such as coordinating linens, dishes, decor, etc. Christina has an amazing eye for design and was so helpful as we finalized our vision for the day. Our wedding wouldn't have come together the way it did without her help! Then, on our actual wedding day, our guests couldn't stop raving about the food and drinks. Everyone loved the signature cocktails, appetizers, main courses and desserts (our cake was so incredibly beautiful), and couldn't stop talking about how delicious everything was. Bluewater Kitchen did such an amazing job and every last detail was considered. I'm actually lactose-intolerant, and they even had my food specially cooked in separate dishes to ensure there wasn't any dairy in it! We couldn't have asked for more and Bluewater Kitchen was essential in helping our day come together. THANK YOU AGAIN Michael and Christina! I am still dreaming about your food every day :). Thanks for making our wedding delicious and gorgeous!

Sent on 07/17/2016

Marypat · Married on 06/04/2016

My daughter was recently married at East Lynn Farm in Round Hill, VA (June 1916) and used Bluewater Kitchen as the caterer. The food was outstanding and so many guests said that it was the best wedding food ever! Christina was a joy to work with. She coordinated the entire event from the buses, wedding table decor, wedding decor and had a very calming influence on all of us. I cannot say enough nice things about how pleased we were with Bluewater Kitchen. This was a "destination" wedding for us as we are from the Chicago area. Michael and Christina deserve 10 stars for their incredible job!!! Well done!

Sent on 06/15/2016

Peter · Married on 06/04/2016

Michael and Christina from Bluewater were PERFECT, and these two put together an absolutely incredible wedding for us! The wedding was at a farm near Leesburg Virginia and these two and their team cooked up an entire farm-to-table masterpiece to match the venue. They were easy to work with, set up the venue beautifully, and Christina was a lifesaver leading up to and at the wedding (including helping to coordinate all of our rentals!). The food was the perfect bookend to our rehearsal dinner at Little Serow, from the skirt steak and mountain cheese appetizers to the unbelievable family style dinner, all the way through the late night bacon mac & cheese bar. What really was incredible about Bluewater is that they went over and above to make us happy, a level of service for which we are incredibly grateful. Our only regret was not having someone put aside an extra box of the late night food for us :) Thank you to the entire Bluewater team from the bottom of our hearts, and seriously for those reading this, what are you waiting for?

Sent on 01/05/2017
  • Meredith

Meredith · Married on 10/30/2015

BlueWater Kitchen catered our wedding and they are just awesome! Michael and Christina, the owners, are wonderful to work with. Michael is also the chef and is a great talent, and Christina managed the catering. Christina also did a fabulous job pulling together the table decor, which I threw her way only about a month before the wedding. I just told her what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend, and she nailed it! The food, drink and atmosphere were extremely important to us and they executed our wedding vision perfectly. We wanted it to feel like a great party, so we went with a menu of a number of heavy hors d'oeuvres - raw oysters, mini burgers, mini caesar salads, beef skewers, fried mac n' cheese bites, to name a few - they were all delicious! I also really wanted a leg of Spanish Jamon Serrano being carved to order, in honor of my Spanish heritage, and they made it happen. Our guests had a great time, and all told us how much they loved the food, the ambiance, the decor, the whole experience. It would not have been possible without BlueWater Kitchen, thank you Michael and Christina!

Sent on 12/17/2015

Kira · Married on 05/16/2015

Bluewater Kitchen catered our wedding in early June and did a terrific job! The food was very tasty and our guests raved about everything from the appetizers to the main and side dishes. Michael did an incredible job preparing the food for such a big crowd without sacrificing on taste. They offer an approachable menu that foodies and non-foodies can enjoy. They have a great mission supporting local farmers. You could tell the food was fresh and quality sourced. They also made a buffet dinner work logistically.

Bluewater was very helpful with many aspects of the wedding outside of providing the food. Christina worked tirelessly to make sure the reception venue was beautiful. She brought extra decorations for us to use on the big day and coordinated the rental delivery days in advance to give us lots of time to set up. She added many little touches that made the venue feel very special. They were very helpful in helping us figuring out the layout of the tables and buffet. We wanted to provide our own tablecloths, napkins, liquor, wine and beer to save money and they were flexible in working with us to make sure everything was integrated.

Michael and Christina are really great people and were always a pleasure to work with from the start of the planning to the final day. They recently got married so they understand the complexities of planning a wedding and the stress that comes along with it.
    Michael and Christina gave us a unique, personalize and delicious wedding food service that I don't think a big wedding catering company can offer. They have really good taste in menu options, decorations, and beyond. We are very happy with our choice.

Sent on 07/11/2015

Alex · Married on 05/05/2018

BWK is squarely a notch above any other caterer we tasted when planning our wedding. Christina and Michael really deserve a 6th star here.

Michael's passion comes through in the inventiveness of the menu, commitment to sustainability and local sources, and dish execution at scale. It felt like going to a small farm to table restaurant. My wife and I laugh that no one was on the dance floor for the first few songs after our first dance because half of our guests were huddled around the dessert bar.

Christina brought everything together -- she is so low stress, patient, and we didn't have to worry about one thing the entire day (my wife looks for things to worry about). Even as the harshest critics of our own event, we couldn't think of one thing we didn't like or one thing we had to stress about. It all just happened, perfectly.

Everything else was great -- staff was professional and friendly, rentals were easy, and communication was thorough.

Can't recommend BWK enough, if nothing else than their unbelievable fried risotto ball appetizers. Please send us the recipe, Michael! :)

Sent on 05/14/2018
  • Susannah

Susannah Morgan Eig-Gonzalez · Married on 10/11/2019

The yummiest local food

Not only is the food absolutely delicious, but the way that BWK uses local farms and finds is awesome. You really feel that you are helping the VA culture....and you get DELICIOUS food!

Bluewater Kitchen 17
    Sent on 12/19/2019
  • Lauren

Lauren B Silber · Married on 09/14/2019

Our guests LOVED the food!

I have celiac's disease so my first and bottom line requirement was we needed a full gluten-free menu. Man, the Bluewater kitchen team delivered. With our venue, we were actually required to use Bluewater Kitchen, but it ended out being a blessing (and one less decision we had to make!). I was delighted by the amount of gluten free options and really appreciated working with the chef along the way about making menu substitutions. Let me tell you, the food was absolutely amazing. After my husband and I went to our tasting, we knew the food was going to knock other wedding's out of the park. So many of our guests came up to us that night and since telling us how great everything tasted. And unlike other brides, I actually got to eat at my wedding! That's because the Bluewater Kitchen team had dedicated servers for me and my husband. The staff continually came up to me over the course of the night to make sure I had everything I needed (drinks, appetizers, dessert, more food, anything).

Christina and her team were great to work with - organized, responsiveness, etc. Christina knew we were on a tight budget and I appreciated her feedback on the tablescape. She was candid on when she thought it was worth the splurge vs. things that would really add up cost-wise but wouldn't add much to the decor.

All in all, would highly recommend the Bluewater Kitchen team. Thank you Christina and co for helping making our day come to life!

Sent on 10/10/2019
  • lauren

lauren · Married on 10/20/2018

Culinary visionaries that redefine "wedding food"

Food is so important to my Husband and I, and to a degree was one of the biggest players in our long distance relationship. As a guest at weddings I am constantly frustrated by the quality of food served, lack of imagination, and inconsistency. Frankly- I always felt like friends and family wasted their money. So I knew that my wedding would be a chance to showcase the one thing I know best: food. I wanted a high end dining experience that felt like a giant dinner party and BWK delivered on all accounts. They created a playful and incredibly delicious 3 course meal, amuse bouche (which played as part of the decor as the place setting), and hors d'oeuvres that spoke to our love story and personalities. They worked with us closely on creating a menu so that it met all dietary needs, dared to be adventurous, and created to this date the best meal I've ever had in my life. We were interested in them for their farm-to-table philosophy but were sold at the tasting- oh my we still dream about it. Their staff gave me all of the confidence I needed, were professional day of, but the real artistry is in the cooking and vision of Chef Michael Kozich. The fact that his wife, Christina, is a wedding planner and business partner made planning and execution seamless. Wish we could do it all again!!!

Bluewater Kitchen 18
    Bluewater Kitchen 19
    Bluewater Kitchen 20
    Bluewater Kitchen 21
    Sent on 01/09/2019

Dana · Married on 06/23/2018

We used Bluewater for our June wedding in Purcellville, and Christina, Michael, & the Bluewater team were excellent caterers. Very professional all around - all the staff was top notch, and the food was amazing. We had the short rib & salmon as entrees, and people have been raving about it ever since! The food on the wedding day was even better than the tasting. Our venue (tranquility farm) does not have a full kitchen on-site, but everything still came out hot, fresh & delicious. Frankly, we don’t know how they did it! Our only complaint would be that sometimes there was a few days delay in email responses in the months leading up to the wedding. But in the end, they did an amazing job and there wasn’t a single issue on the wedding day. Highly recommended!

Sent on 08/04/2018

Colette · Married on 09/16/2017

Hiring Bluewater Kitchen was definitely one of the best wedding planning decisions we made! The food was phenomenal and looked beautiful too. We had many guests tell us it was the best food they had ever had at a wedding. I loved that everything was locally sourced and so fresh! Bluewater even created a "crêpe cake" and adorable crêpe station in lieu of a regular wedding cake at our request, and it was such a hit! Working with Christina was such a gift, as she went above and beyond, contributing so much more to our wedding day than I would have expected from a day-of planner. Would definitely recommend letting Michael and Christina have a hand in creating your wedding vision!

Sent on 12/03/2017