Barn at Gibbet Hill Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2013 Winner

• Hanna
    Hanna B. Married on 08/15/2021

10/10 recommend!

I am so grateful that we found a venue like Gibbet Hill. Their planning team, staff, location, food, and everything in-between were top notch. So many of our guests came up to us afterwards raving about the amazing and friendly service and we couldn't agree more. They took care of us during all parts of the day, making sure we were hydrated, fed, comfortable, happy, etc. Plus, the venue itself is so beautiful with minimal decor. We also got really lucky and found a field of flowers next to the venue for our sunset photos. Ahhh, there are so many things I could go on and on. 10/10 recommend!
    Elise A. Married on 07/11/2021

Nothing Bad to Say- Book it NOW If You Want a Flawless Wedding

BLOWN AWAY. Our wedding at The Barn at Gibbet Hill was absolutely incredible. We have people two weeks later telling us how it was the best wedding they have ever been to. From the start, working with the barn was so easy. We got a wedding coordinator to pretty much do everything in terms of planning and on the day of we had THREE event managers, plus a bride attendant and full staff. They were so attentive and amazing. You can tell they run a tight ship. Our guests are saying it was the best food, not just wedding food, but the best food they've ever had. It was the most perfect venue for our special day and everything was absolutely amazing. The cows even came out! Highly recommend working with Kat and having your wedding here. I want to experience a wedding here as a guest because it was incredible! I am never going to forget this day and how perfect it was. 10000/10 recommend having your wedding here.
    Lauren Married on 10/19/2019

Rehearsal Dinner was so good!

We had our rehearsal dinner here in the private upstairs area on a Friday night from 4-7 pm and it was so great! They have a beautiful fireplace up there and breathtaking scenery. Ashley was unbelievable to work with - she was so responsive and gave great suggestions to make sure we stayed within our scheduled event time. I even dropped off place cards that morning and her team set them up for me based on the diagram I drew up. The food was SO good and the staff was so friendly!
    Connor Married on 10/17/2019

Book this venue if you want the perfect wedding !

This place is not just the perfect wedding venue it’s so much more ! Everyone there makes sure your day runs smoothly and everything is designed exactly to your liking. My event manager and bridal attend were completely amazing ! I can not say enough good things ! Our wedding was above and beyond our expectations ! Truly magical place ! We gonna go back every year to the restaurant across the street to celebrate our anniversary every year !
  • Alli
    Alli V. Married on 10/04/2019

amazing wedding and service

Having my wedding at the Barn was the best decision I made for my wedding day. The second I walked in, I knew it was where I wanted to get married. The views are breathtaking and the barn is beautiful. The food was amazing and the staff on my wedding day were AMAZING. Thank you so much to Sara for all that you did for our wedding day. On the day of my wedding, I was slightly under the weather, and all of my day of management staff went above and beyond to assist myself and my family. Thank you so much for being so accommodating and kind! My husband and I had the best day ever and everything ran so smoothly!
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Married on 07/19/2019

Gorgeous and stress-free

There were so many reasons we chose The Barn for our wedding: great food, a gorgeous setting, and a team of people there to help us plan and make our day run smoothly. Along the process, however, the team at The Barn far exceeded our initial, already-high expectations! First off, our wedding coordinator Sara was super helpful in the planning process. She navigated us through all of the small details we wouldn't have thought of on our own, and saved us a lot of stress later on. Even if Sara wasn't in the office when I called with my questions/requests, another member of the Gibbet Hill team was there to help answer our questions and get done what needed to get done. I am very grateful she was there to iron out the last minute details the day before the wedding and help me keep my sanity in the midst of family-induced stress! I was additionally so impressed with how seamlessly our wedding day flowed. No matter what last-minute challenges presented themselves, the Gibbet Hill team got everything taken care of and I felt completely stress-free on our day. We even had a bridal party attendant who did a FABULOUS job helping me and the wedding party navigate the day. Not to mention the food was spectacular. As someone who isn't the biggest fan of salads, their farm pickup salad was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. Many of our wedding guests raved that it was the best wedding they ever attended. We strongly recommend you book The Barn at Gibbet Hill for your wedding!
  • Shannon
    Shannon D. Married on 06/21/2019

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

The food? Amazing. The Barn? Amazing. The staff? Amazing. The booze? Amazing. The views? Amazing. Literally this venue was perfect and we couldn't have been more happy with what we were delivered for this venue. The food was the best wedding food any of our guests had ever had. Also the staff was so attentive to my husband and I.. making sure we had a drink, had food, were ok, etc. The day went off without a hitch and it was much in part to their assistance. Also Bree Oates was our coordinator and she was legit the best. Can't thank her enough
    Christopher L. Married on 03/30/2019

Simply the Best!!

Where do I start on trying to describe the amazing experience we had having our wedding at Gibbet Hill? If I could give more then 5 stars I would. The staff is simply amazing. They were very easy to work with from the start, super organized, and prompt with responses. They have a detailed recommended vendor list to give you a helpful starting point, and of course amazing decor/scenery to make the venue a classic New England wedding venue.

Deirdre was our initial contact with Gibbet and ended up being our wedding coordinator as well. We worked so well with her because we shared the same detailed oriented, organized way of thinking. She had everything down to the minute planned out which helped us feel better about the timeline of the big day. Deirdre was there for any questions and was super prompt and detailed about all portions of the big day.

The day of the wedding was amazing, literally nothing went wrong and in large part to the staff and Deirdre. They are so professional and make everything as magical as you could imagine for your wedding day. The food was amazing and there was plenty to go round! We had 144 guests which we felt was a great size and helped fill the venue to make it feel full but not overcrowded. Our guests raved all night about the venue and the beauty of it which made us very happy for choosing Gibbet. We had a bridal attendant who was with my wife and I the entire time checking on us making sure we didn't need anything. It was an amazing experience and we felt so well taken care of.

I feel like I couldn't possibly touch on every portion of our wedding day and the planning that went into it but I would say without hesitation if your considering getting married at Gibbet just do it and you will never regret it. We are so very thankful we did and couldn't recommend it enough.
  • Bailey
    Bailey Married on 02/16/2019

Just spectacular

The Barn's staff did an incredible job the day of our wedding. Deirdre, our planner, was on top of everything. She kept everyone calm and assured leading up to our ceremony. She listened to and incorporated our unique suggestions about decorations, timing of speeches, pacing of the meal courses, and even helped orchestrate a few surprises with our parents. The waitstaff were incredibly attentive to our guests. We gave them our VIP list ahead of time, and they made sure to take special care of our parents, parties, and close relatives. Our own dedicated waitperson made sure we never lacked a drink, water or otherwise. She made sure we always had food in front of us during the rare moments we had to eat, and she set aside any appetizers and cupcakes we wanted.

The barn itself was beautiful. I simply can't describe how perfect it was for our 175 guests. The balconies were used well during the meal, but people didn't stay up there for the dancing. It was really cool for them to crowd the banisters for the speeches though. It was truly special and we loved every moment of our day at the Barn.
  • Leslie
    Leslie K. Married on 02/10/2019

Couldn't have asked for more - wish we could afford to throw an event here every year!

The Process:
    The process of planning your wedding can be a huge, daunting task, but everyone we worked with at The Barn at Gibbet Hill made it as easy as possible and put us at ease. From our initial meeting to discuss if The Barn was right for us, down to the moment we left the premises after our reception, the staff was amazingly helpful and wonderful to work with.

There were several planning meetings with our planner, Kathleen, where we worked out all the details and she was always willing to give her advice on things we were unsure of. They set us up in the online tool, AllSeated, to plug in the details of our guests, the floorplan, our guests meals, and it even lets you add notes about food allergies.

The Staff:
    Like I mentioned above, Kathleen was a pleasure to work with. We wanted to keep things as simple as we could, and she never pushed us to do more than what we were comfortable with. We also had last minute changes to guests lists and seating arrangements and they were always quick to help and never made us feel bad for what I’m sure was additional work for them.

On the day of the wedding, we had Jodie as the bridal attendant who always made sure I had what I needed and then some. My only regret is that I didn’t get to spend MORE time with her! She helped me with everything, from taking my giant white fur cape from me while we were taking outdoor photos, to grabbing my purse out of the basement while we were eating dinner. I think she knew how concerned we were with making sure all of our guests were having a great time, and she frequently checked in with me to give me the feedback she’d been hearing throughout the day - it really helped to hear it from a neutral third party, rather than guests who feel obligated to tell you things are great when asked by the bride and groom themselves! She was amazing and you should count yourself lucky if you get to work with her on your wedding day, too.

All of the staff at The Barn was wonderful - they made sure we got to try all the apps we’d chosen for our cocktail hour, that we were comfortable, and that our guests were having a great time as well. They took the noted food allergies very seriously (as they should) and put our guests at ease with their willingness to accommodate requests and changes.

The Venue:
    We chose The Barn at Gibbet Hill because we had our first date at their restaurant next door, Gibbet Hill Grill. But even more than that, we chose it because we hardly had to do anything to make it what we wanted. The Barn is gorgeous, and while you can certainly add additional decorations, we didn’t. We wanted to keep things simple and the space is so beautiful on its own, we didn’t feel like it needed anything extra.

We chose to have their vintage ladders for our arbor, and our florist laid a large, beautiful eucalyptus runner across the top (which was then placed on our table for dinner). We provided a couple dozen white votive candles to add a little interest, but that was it. They lined our aisle for the ceremony with lovely lanterns, and then those were placed on the tables for dinner (along with the provided votive candles). It was great how many things they were able to repurpose from our ceremony for the reception. The ceremony is held inside the barn, and then they move the guests to the heated deck for cocktail hour while they reset the interior for dinner.

We had our wedding on a cold February day, so the heated deck was the perfect space for our cocktail hour (a little over 50 people). I was personally too warm to spend any amount of time out there, but I’m always running really hot, so that’s not a surprise. Really the only “add on” we did was that we opted to add the white lounge furniture out on the deck, and I’m glad we did - it was used consistently throughout the night by our guests. The space was exactly what we wanted for our wedding day - spacious, beautiful, and full of character. I escaped to one of the loft areas a couple times through the night to take a break from all the hustle and bustle, and it was perfect - I got to take a breather, and I had an amazing view to look down on all the fun being had.

While we didn’t have snow on our wedding day, the grounds were still beautiful with the well-maintained grass (as much as it can be in the dead of winter), rolling hills, pond, and beautiful backdrop of The Barn at the surrounding structures.
    Megan Married on 07/20/2018
    There are truly no words. The Barn at Gibbet Hill is absolutely amazing. From its scenic views to the staff - they really know what they're doing. If I could relive my reception everyday I would. The staff is so kind and genuinely care about you, your wants, needs, and expectations. The moment my husband and I stepped foot in the door we knew it was the place for us. It rustically romantic and charming. The staff is always available for guidance and assistance and the day of the wedding bend over backwards for you and your guests. Oh, and the food.. it's outstanding. You can even go over to the grill ahead of time to try it out. We are forever grateful that we got to spend our day there. It. Was. Perfect. :)
  • Whitney
    Whitney Married on 07/13/2018

Helpful and attentive venue with unbeatable scenery

We became interested in potentially using The Barn at Gibbet Hill as our wedding venue first and foremost because of the gorgeous photos that we saw online that had been taken there. We set up a visit about a year before the wedding (we got married in July 2018) and upon arrival and throughout the tour we were in awe of that fact that the landscape and the barn itself were able to exceed our expectations. The place doesn’t really need much decoration because it has so much to offer in and of itself. During our tour and discussion with a member of the sales team, we found many other reasons to fall in love with this venue. They offer an immense amount of help in coordinating your big day, as well as provide you with a list of preferred vendors to make it easy for you to find the people who will make your wedding everything want (and more, really). All of the vendors on the list looked great, and we could not have been happier with the ones we chose. In addition, most of them have worked at Gibbet Hill many times so they are familiar with the layout and the typical timeline of the wedding day. Since many of them often partner with Gibbet Hill, some will also offer you a “preferred venue” discount; anywhere you can save money on a wedding always feels nice. Not only do they make finding outside vendors easy, they cater the wedding with food freshly picked from their farm. The food they make there is delicious (not like lots of wedding food that you hear about) and you are invited to a tasting a few months before the wedding to help you make decisions about what you want on your menu. As for the wedding cake, they give you a credit for a cake made by Montilio’s Bakery. The cake was to die for (we did two tiers of their presidential cake and one of carrot cake) and looked beautiful. All in all, there really isn’t anything we would have changed about our experience here, especially the wonderful staff that made sure everything went smoothly the entire night and were attentive to anything that we needed or questions we had (both before, during and even after the wedding). You will not regret your decision to get married here, but make sure to book early because their days fill up fast!
  • O
    Olivia Married on 05/25/2018
    From our first meeting with Kathleen, our wedding planner, we knew we were in good hands. She represented The Barn at Gibbet Hill in an exceptional manner. She was very detail oriented and extremely organized and methodical through the entire planning process through the execution of our rehearsal and wedding day! She should be cloned as a the perfect wedding planner, she left no stone unturned. The Barn at Gibbet Hill was everything we dreamed of and more for our special day. It has the most perfect setting with all the details to make weddings extra special. We can't say enough about the staff there as well, everybody assigned to our wedding was so accommodating and personable seeing that our every need was met. From a value standpoint, it was worth the money we spent for a high end venue. Olivia and Kyle Brand
    Brittany Married on 05/12/2018
    We had a spring wedding here and the overall experience was absolutely incredible. Sara, our wedding planner was extremely responsive to emails and very helpful throughout the planning process. The staff the evening of our wedding was so kind and helpful. Our family and friends are still raving about how impressed they were with the venue and how delicious the food was. Prior to our wedding day the forecast was calling for rain. As disappointed as we were that we couldn’t have our ceremony outside, the staff did such a wonderful job of creating a beautiful ceremony indoors. At the end of the night- we wouldn’t have changed a thing and loved the ceremony inside!
    Kristie Married on 03/30/2018
    Simply the best! I cannot say enough amazing things about The Barn at Gibbet Hill. From the planning to the day of delivery, everything was perfection. This venue is about as turnkey as you can get for a wedding. We just had to bring in flowers and a DJ! Everything else is included with the venue. If you haven't been to the restaurant, check that out first! The food is beyond good and all of my guests were blown away because usually wedding food is meh. Our wedding was on March 30 and we were able to enjoy the heated deck for our cocktail hour. It was nice and warm and allowed for us to have two areas for the wedding. The beverage menu is actually really upscale too...much more than the basics! Signature drinks were delicious too. Overall the Barn is very classy, well run and a great value for the money in my opinion. I hope to attend other events The Barn in the future, can't wait to go back!!!!
    Hollie Married on 02/17/2018
    We absolutely loved this venue from the minute we walked in the door. It is gorgeous with rustic beams, beautiful chandeliers, and flowing hills. We had a February wedding, so everything was indoors. They have clear covers on the patio during the winter, so you still get to enjoy the outdoor space. Everything turned out beautifully. We worked with Deirdre Gonsalves, the wedding coordinator/sales director. We thought she was THE BEST. She was prompt, responsive, professional, thorough, and to the point. She made sure everything went smoothly, and my husband and I didn’t worry about a thing. There was minimal stress when it came to planning with this venue. The food & drinks were AMAZING, and it’s one of the reasons we booked this venue. We also loved having dinner at Gibbet Hill Grill following any of the on site meetings :). We definitely recommend this wedding venue!!!!
    Lisa Married on 02/03/2018
    This venue is truly second to none. Not only is it unbelievably beautiful and the food outstanding, but the service was impeccable.

We had pretty high expectations for our wedding day and Sara Lin exceeded those expectations from the moment we met her. We never once felt uneasy about our plans, she was so incredibly thorough, but not in a pushy or intrusive way. Our day of bridal attendant (whose name is escaping me), was also wonderful. She was like a fairy godmother and would just magically appear to hand us snacks/drinks, really anything we needed. They were so on top of everything and even though they run hundreds of weddings a year, we felt like ours was truly unique and special. The service was unreal!

The food was also some of the best we've ever had. The portions were huge, we had hangar steak and stuffed chicken for options. Everyone loved both. We also had a few dietary restrictions and we had planned to take care of them ourselves, but Sara Lin got in contact with those guests herself and made them meals that were suitable for them. The appetizers were unbelievable and I still get comments on how good they were and how beautifully they were presented. We also got late night snacks of grilled cheese and tacos, which were unreal! The donuts (our dessert) were displayed in such a pretty way and were warm and delicious. Drinks were also delicious, I don't even think I ever went to the bar because our bridal attendant had a new drink as we were taking the last sips.

The barn itself is beautiful with minimal decorations. One of my favorite parts is the heated deck. Since our wedding was in the winter, this was such a cool space to utilize and was stunning with the view! The lofts made for the perfect place for my new husband and myself to enjoy the first few moments of marriage and the getting ready room and bathroom downstairs were perfect for the bridal party befo
  • Sarena
    Sarena Married on 09/15/2017
    The only reason The Barn at Gibbet Hill is getting five stars, is because six is not an option. Beyond the Venue, which is by far the most beautiful in the area. Beyond the Food, which consistently impresses with flavor and visual appeal. They were hands down the most professional, accommodating and thoughtful bunch of people we have ever come into contact with. Too many names could be listed here. Our Wedding Coordinator, Sara Lin McCay, was wonderful. She was confident and innovative. Her direction and design were flawless. Our Bridal Attendant was sensational. She made us both feel like we were the most important people on the planet, for five straight hours. She was selflessly thoughtful and we could never thank her enough.

Simply put. We felt nothing less than royalty. They were amazing!

Liz Married on 08/17/2017
    You know the saying "something always goes wrong on your wedding day?" Well, it's simply not possible if you choose this venue. My husband and I were BLOWN AWAY by the attentiveness of the Gibbet Hill's staff. Andrea, Jill and Deirdre catered to our every need, and our guests every need. My father-in-law has ulcertive colitis, so he's severely limited in what he can eat. The Barn not only accommodated for his dietary needs, but they made sure to continue to check on him throughout the night to ensure he was satisfied. The Barn makes getting married and planning for a ceremony & reception EASY. They truly do it ALL for you. As the bride, I didn't have to worry about a thing. I didn't once have to think if everyone was in the right place at the right time, when we should cut the cake, etc. Everything was taken care of us by our amazing event staff, Andrea, Deirdre and Jill. On behalf of my husband and I, I want to thank all of you for making us feel like Kings and Queens and helping us put on a beautiful wedding. If you're looking for a wedding venue to celebrate the biggest day of your life, look no further than the Barn! 10/10 would recommend!
    Jen Married on 04/02/2017
    My son was married on April 2 at the Barn at Gibbet Hill. The staff is exceptional. The food was outstanding and served absolutely piping hot. Our guests commented this was the best wedding venue they had ever been to.
    Catherine Married on 04/01/2017
    The team at The Barn is THE BEST! The killed it with our wedding day - making everything seamless, beautiful and perfect. All of our guests fell in love with the venue and decided they wanted us to do an annual wedding there :P Such a gem in Groton.
    Heather Married on 01/13/2017
    Oh my gosh, where to start! Deirdre and her team at GH made our wedding day beyond perfect! Not only did Deirdre align with me daily regarding every single detail she also answered every single question I sent her way. The Barn was absolutely gorgeous for our Friday the 13th wedding and we cannot thank her and the staff there enough.
    Julie Married on 12/17/2016
    This is one of the most beautiful wedding venues I have ever seen. It was perfect for our December 2016 wedding! The barn is absolutely beautiful inside and photographs really well. The scenery can't be beat, even in winter.

While they do a lot of weddings they still take the time to work with couples individually and really make each and every wedding feel important and unique. The day of the wedding they take care of everything, which really helps to alleviate stress. The Deirdre was our event planner and she was thorough and patient throughout the entire process. She was amazing to work with and was able to anticipate questions/problems and answer then with ease. Having her during the planning process and day of was invaluable.

The best part of wedding at Gibbet Hill is the food! Our guests have been raving about everything they ate. The short ribs are amazing! They also have an interesting format for the pre-wedding tasting. They have a group tasting event. The benefit of this is that couples have a chance to see how events are set up and run for weddings. You get a preview of decor, food, and event "flow". This was helpful when it came time to make decisions for our own wedding.
    Lauren Married on 12/16/2016
    The Barn at Gibbet Hill was the absolute perfect place for our December 2016 wedding. We chose Gibbet Hill for the beautiful barn and delicious food, it was even better on our wedding day! Our guests have been raving about the beautiful space, delicious food and overall event!

Sara made the planning process easy, she was responsive, provided great insights/feedback and helped make sure our day was everything we wanted it to be, even helping to secure a last minute coat check when I changed my mind that week! On the day of, the staff at Gibbet Hill made sure every detail was taken care of, Jodi (who was wonderful) checked in on me and brought me some apps when I didn't have a chance to eat. Sara and Angela kept every little detail of the event flowing perfectly. Then at the end of the night, the staff helped pack up everything. They truly made the whole process a wonderful experience!

I cannot say enough great things about Gibbet Hill! Thank you for everything!
    Sarah Married on 11/06/2016
    My wedding at Gibbet Hill was back in November... and it was everything I could have ever hoped it to possibly be. My coordinator Sara was professional, flexible and so helpful leading up to and also, the day of! As far as I know, everything went off without a hitch... if there had been any type of flaw, it was handled without me even knowing. The entire day was carefree and beautiful.

The barn itself is stunning... and the crew there did an amazing job of decorating it with the items I had brought, everything was handled with such care. The food was hot and delicious... my guests still compliment me, even to this day about the food and the wedding overall. The Barn at Gibbet Hill was worth every cent we paid... I cannot say enough about this venue, its staff and everything in-between! Thank you!