Ashelynn Manor Reviews

94 | Magnolia, TX

94 Reviews for Ashelynn Manor

Stefanie · Married on 10/03/2009

3.0

Pretty expensive, but also very nice and elegant. It was more like a simple elegance. The staff are super nice, all the time. Everyone we've talked to that attended our wedding said that it went very smoothly and well. I also highly reccommend using Ms Emily Olson for hair and makeup, that will allow you to get to the manor a bit earlier and not worry about driving all over town to get stuff done. She does a wonderful job. I have hair down to my butt and she didnt hesitate at all about curling it up and making a beautiful updo. I tried to find other stylists in town, not so nice and willing to work with all my hair. Super!
    The food was excellent, and the staff was very nice and professional. The outside gazebo was our #1 choice but it rained, so we did it in the chapel, and it was still really amazing. Beautiful grounds!

Sent on 11/09/2009

Allison · Married on 04/12/2014

3.5

This venue was perfect and everything was perfect for my big day! Tessie was our coordinator for the day and conducted everything with the upmost amount of professionalism and checked on me every step of the way. Everything went so smooth and everything turned out beautiful and perfect which is all any bride can ask for! I would definitely recommend this venue for an elegant southern wedding and perfect pictures! I cannot express enough our perfect our day was!

Sent on 04/29/2014

3.0

This is a stunning venue with some wonderful perks. Their packages offer an on-sight hair and make-up salon room with Exquisite Reflections which is well worth it - no worrying about where to go or running late on wedding day and they do an outstanding job. What a pampering treat on our special day! The quality of food is exceptional offering a variety of packages and menus to choose from -- not just limited to barbecue, fajitas, or rather plain chicken dishes. We had a wine-themed wedding and they had not one, but TWO Italian dinners to select from! By far, their chapel is one of the most gorgeous of the Houston area venues and their grounds are just stunning. The Carriage House, where the reception is held, is absolutely beautiful even before your decorations go up. The Ashelynn Homestead looks like a Southern Plantation home straight out of a magazine or movie featuring an exquisite spiral staircase that's ripe with bridal portrait opportunities. We could not have selected a better, more gorgeous venue for our wedding and I highly recommend it. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE LEAST. On wedding day, the staff was very friendly, accommodating, and helpful. Our wedding coordinator, Jackie, was super at both the rehearsal and wedding. One observations/suggestion.....the wedding is a set 4 hour time frame; ours was from 4:00 - 8:00 p.m. That is a little short - I would like to have had one more hour. A second suggestion is to have the cake table farther away from the wall as our coordinator ended up being in many cake-cutting photos with her back to us. Because of my daughter's work schedule, Sunday's being her only day off, she tried to schedule her bridal portraits on a Sunday when there were no other events at the venue. But since there were no events, they weren't officially "working" that day and consequently unable to accommodate her request to open the building for photos - in a customer service industry, this seemed a tad-bit inflexible.

Sent on 02/25/2014
  • Heather

Heather · Married on 05/18/2013

The ladies at Ashelynn Manor have weddings down to a science. They are prepared for everything. I heard a few complaints from bridesmaids and my new mother-in-law about their "attitude", but the ladies who complained have an attitude all of their own. Tessie was amazing! If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing at the venue!

Sent on 06/04/2013

Dear Heather,

We are so glad to hear you had a good day. We appreciate your positive feed back. I'm sorry if some of your party felt unhappy. It is never my intent to have anyone be unhappy.

Shannon · Married on 06/26/2010

I had a wonderful wedding at Ashelynn Manor. They were always so helpful and easy to work with. On the day of the wedding they took care of EVERYTHING. They made sure everything was perfect from start to finish. Great venue!!

Sent on 07/23/2010

Holly · Married on 03/25/2006

I thoroughly enjoyed my wedding at Ashelynn Manor. It was a gorgeous sight for a Spring wedding in Texas. I loved that the horses felt free to participate by creating a beautiful backdrop. I loved the reception hall and the comfort and space of getting ready for my big day in the upstairs bedrooms. Really an easy laid back, beautiful setting.

Sent on 12/26/2015

Ashelynn Manor's reply:

Thank you so much! It is our hope that everyone feels at ease when they are here. We are so glad you enjoyed your day!!!
  • cajimen

Carolyn · Married on 11/07/2009

I had my wedding at Ashelynn Manor recently and my wedding day was perfect. Tessie was very attentive and very professional. Everyone was very impressed with everything (ie. food, decor, setting, music, etc.). The only thing I did not like was that there were extra charges for house linens and shepherd hooks. For as much as we paid for the wedding, these items that Ashelynn Manor already owned, should have been offered with the package.

Sent on 12/03/2009

Megan · Married on 05/31/2013

3.0

We used Ashelynn Manor for our wedding at the end of May. Everyone was so nice there and so accommodating! They do have their rules about certain things, but that's just to keep the integrity of the buildings and keep people from doing things that could harm the buildings. I think they are a great value with a lot of things included. Any time I had a question, they answered my emails or phone calls promptly. The grounds and venue are the best part. Everything is just so beautiful, whether you are outside in the gazebo or inside in the chapel. The only thing I would suggest they do differently is make the huge columns with the greenery in the chapel an optional item. They said they can't be moved or removed, so we had to just work with it. But to be honest, once you get all of your beautiful flowers in there, nobody is paying attention to the ugly columns. The venue is a little hard to find, especially at night, so make sure you include maps or directions with invitations.

Even with the very small negatives, I would recommend this place to anyone. They really know how to throw a party.

Sent on 09/19/2013

Megan,

Thank you for your kind words about Ashelynn Manor! We really strive to make your day her at Ashelynn Manor a pleasant experience.

We have recently reviewed our policy on the Chapel's columns and we made the decision to change our policy on moving them. We now will move them out if a brides prefers that. We hope that will make all of our Brides feel accommodated!

jennifer · Married on 08/10/2007

3.5

we were married at ashelynn manor August 10, 2007.
    after a disaster at another venue i called them 4 months before our scheduled wedding date. they had nothing for the date we wanted but could fit us in the Friday night before, which turned out even better with honeymoon plans.
    they made us feel like we were the only couple/wedding party they had and called us back promptly every time. we went with a dj they recommended and were extremely pleased. I would recommend ashelynn manor to anyone who is getting married in Houston.

Sent on 10/12/2007

Stephanie · Married on 06/24/2007

3.5

The house is beautiful and the staff was very friendly, but we did have some hiccups with the ceremony. One of my grandparents didnt get seated with the grandparents and the music was off the whole ceremony, the wedding march didnt start until I was half-way down the aisle and the song i picked for our exit was late also. But other than those, the site made great pictures.

Sent on 11/19/2007

Carol Thompson · Married on 12/21/2019

Beautiful Venue

Beautiful venue. We are not having our reception here due to the restriction on food catering.

Sent on 06/24/2019

Devon · Married on 10/02/2009

3.5

This place is absolutely gorgeous! I fell in love with this place immediately. Everyone was very nice and helpful, but sometimes they were hard to get a hold of and responses to e-mails were slow or short to where I had to keep asking the question. The day of the wedding was perfect, I would recommend this place to my friends!

Sent on 10/21/2009
  • Rachael

Rachael · Married on 11/11/2007

Ashelynn Manor is a beautiful place to have a wedding! I had my ceremony and reception there. The reception area was huge and they provided some food and decorations. It was a pleasure to work with them and I would definantly recommend to other people.

Sent on 06/09/2008
  • bride2be0509

Jessica · Married on 06/13/2009

3.8
      3.0

Overall we had a beautiful ceremony. The planners were very helpful, and the Venue is gorgeous! The only thing I was upset by was that I did not get to have the pictures I wanted taken there because We were rushed out of the chapel because they had another wedding right hours after ours, and we were told that we would have plenty of time for pictures. that did not happen.

Sent on 06/15/2009

Amanda · Married on 10/20/2012

1.5
      3.5

Ashelynn Manor was beautiful, and I have no major complaints with how my wedding was handled over the course of our six month planning. The only real issue I have is with how our wedding coordinator was on the day of the wedding. That being rather absent. My mother was left doing a lot of the set up and almost all of the take down. She carried items from the chapel to the carriage house after being assured there would be staff there to take care of it. We also had significantly less guests than we had planned for, and they didn't bother to go make the reception area more cozy, although they certainly would have billed us for extra tables if we'd had more people. Also a small thing, but our names were supposed to be on the mirror, and they forgot and instead of just crediting us, they put them up while we were dancing, which was tacky and last minute. But the venue is beautiful, and maybe if you spring for a night time wedding they treat you nicer.

Sent on 12/11/2012

Ashlee · Married on 11/05/2005

2.8
      2.5

The only good things I have to say is that the place is beautiful. I think the staff was un friendly for the most part. They booked another bride to arrive minutes after I would be finished getting ready and were very rude to me about the whole situation. We stayed the night at the B&B there and watched as our sub par breakfast was removed from styrofoam containers and put onto plates. Very disapointed in that.

Sent on 05/12/2008

2.4
      0.0

This is a very very nice place to get married at. But they were not very flexible when it came to planning out my wedding. I felt like they wanted me to do it their way with little questions asked.

Sent on 12/27/2012

Ashlee J · Getting married on 06/12/2021

Terrible experience with Ashelynn Manor

Let this be a warning to anyone who wants to get married at Ashelynn Manor. From the beginning we had nothing but obstacles with this place and the staff. From getting double charged on monthly payments or them not going through at all to lazy staff who did not help us plan our special day. We live out of town so we made a special trip to meet with our “coordinator” and all we got was a list of preferred vendors and told we would have to do it ourselves. I thought when we got this “all inclusive” package that most of that would be done for me. We sat in their lobby for three hours calling preferred vendors, which besides the photographer and the flowers were awful. The liquor guy worked out of his car, didn’t listen to what we wanted, on the day of our wedding guest had to do buy mixers for the drinks, and gave me a hard time about the returned unused liquor. The make-up artist that came with my package pretended to not know who I was when one of my bridesmaids called to book her services. She forwarded me the emails and I was upset, I had months of emails where we had discussed my wedding and what I wanted. She was hard to get ahold of and I believe because she was not making any money off me she decided to ignore me. It was only when someone else decided to pay for her services did she send me a contract. She did waive the $75 fee for less than 30 days before event because she dropped the ball. HEB did our flowers and Diana was great, set up was amazing and her staff was very helpful. The same with my photographers, very professional and up-front with me.
    Getting back to Ashelynn Manor, a few weeks before my wedding I got a text saying I needed to set aside TWO HOURS to go over details between the hours of 8 am and 4:30 pm. I said no, I work and you don’t stay open pass 4:30 pm, you can call on my lunch break. We finished in 25 minutes but those questions could have been but in an email or asked through text. The rehearsal was fine and my coordinator let me know that they would direct us and keep us on track the day of the wedding so I didn’t have to worry about the time line. I was like great, one less thing to worry about. The day of the wedding started off fine, the make-up artist and her assistant were professional and did a good job and even fit my daughter in. The flowers were great and the photographers did their thing and stayed out of the way once the ceremony started. My coordinator let me know again she would be directing the day and not to worry. She asked me at that point if we wanted to extend the wedding hours. I said no because my credit card was done and I am done paying for this wedding. She said are you sure and asked me again. I looked at her and said no I do not want to extend my wedding what I paid for is what I paid for. The ceremony was fine and we had a good time at the reception. Our coordinator got us food and when I went over to the cake my topper was missing. I was like where is my topper? I had ordered a special topper for our cake and it was not there. So I made her find the decorations box I had left in there. I had to put on my own cake topper which was annoying. So we cut the cake, I didn’t get offered any of my own cake other than the little piece we exchanged for pictures. Once our time was up we had sparklers and had the big leaving the reception exit with our family and friends. As I was hugging guest and saying thank you for coming the lights all of a sudden went out. I was like what the hell is going on? The staff had left us standing in the parking lot! They had turned the lights out in the house before checking to see if anyone was left and caused my mother-in-law to trip and fall on the concrete of the back pouch sending her to the hospital. Everything was pushed into the back of my car so there was so much confusion about whose stuff was whose. When I got home I was worried about my mother-in-law because her age we were afraid she had broken her arm or worse. I spent my wedding night trying to find out about her condition and going through all the things people had thrown in my car! I knew there was cake and BBQ back there but didn’t want it sitting in my car all night long.

About a week later, my photographer post some pictures of my day on their Facebook page. I was excited and happy to see they turned out so well. I am a private person so I didn’t want my pictures to be shared with the world. So I when on the Ashelynn Manor Facebook page I was shocked to see my picture was being used to advertise some event they were holding later that month and they didn’t even have the curiosity to call and let me know they were using my pictures for advertising purposes. I commented on the post stating I did not want my picture to be used for advertising purposes and could they please take it down. They complied but it still made me upset that they didn’t even ask me to do that.

Fast forward a few weeks, I am checking my credit card statement and I have an extra charge on there from Ashelynn Manor. I call them up to see what the charge is for and they said it was for the extra hour we had stayed that night. I was confused because I had told my coordinator multiple times that I did not want to extend my wedding. The lady said you can speak to the owner and I said sure. Before she transferred me over she said she wanted to apologize for using my photo because I was a beautiful bride and according to the contract Ashelynn Manor could use my pictures if they wanted. I told her I didn’t want my pictures being used to advertise their venue or events. I was on hold for a while when the owner came on the line. I told her my name and she cut me off saying she knew what the situation was. I told her I did not authorize anyone to charge my card for an additional hour. She said she had spoken to my husband and he came to her and asked to stay longer. My husband does not remember asking to stay longer and he said how did I know she was the owner I never met her? She never introduced herself to us as the owner and we only worked with our coordinator. She said she was the woman working the photo booth for us. I remembered her coming up to me and remarking on my wedding ring. At no time did she ask me if it was ok to extend our wedding time or if she could run my credit card. I asked her how my husband who was drunk come and find you to ask to stay an extra hour and why you didn’t come talk to me since it was my credit card? She said she was not going to argue with me and he authorized the charge. I told her that was not ok because that is not his card and I had already told my coordinator not to stay passed 8:30 pm. She then said well you did stay didn’t you, you could have told us to leave. I let her know I didn’t have a watch on me at the time and my coordinator had told me she was responsible for letting me know the timeline while I enjoyed my special day.

Overall it was frustrating experience that I will never again repeat. It is very upsetting for me to have such unprofessional people put a stain on my special day. I should have been able to enjoy myself but I will forever look back on this experience and regret using this venue.

Sent on 01/29/2020

Ashelynn Manor's reply:

This couple booked our venue over the phone since they live out of state. The groom had lived or been in our area in the past and was familiar with our venue. I, Tessie Ashe, really am baffled to the comment that they sat in our “lobby” for three hours calling preferred vendors as they did their final planning meeting with us over the telephone since they were still out of state 2 weeks before their wedding. To our knowledge, first time they were at Ashelynn Manor was for their rehearsal, the day before their event. I’m not saying that they didn’t speak with vendors which may have been the bakery, photographer, bar tending company or hair and make-up but that’s part of “planning” the wedding so that it may be personalized to the couple… but this would have been weeks before the wedding.

Just a bit of clarification on the topic of our bridal coordinator pressing them to add time for their event; Once an event is planned, rehearsed and the day of the wedding, our team members are in full swing on the day and the event progressing. We NEVER ask if the client wants to extend their time. This is for many reasons; #1. If they wanted to add more time to the event, they would have communicated at the planning meeting or in the text and phone conversations leading up to the event day. # 2. When we schedule our staff, D.J., police officers & bar tenders, they are given a start time and a completion time for their schedules. This was a Monday evening wedding, the day before New Year’s Eve, many of our staff and support vendors had family visiting for the holidays and other personal obligations after this event ended. Nearing the ending time of the event, the groom came to me, which I was operating the photo-booth for their wedding and asked me to please add another hour to their time. I told him that it depended if the officers and bar tender could stay. Our officers were sitting at a nearby table and I walked over to the table with the groom and asked them if they would be able to stay an hour longer. The groom also asked them if they could please stay (the officers will testify to this). They reluctantly said they would as did the bar tender and staff. I then told the groom that I was going to go to the office and process their credit card they had given us for any overages. He said OK. I did not doubt his word since he was the sole person who signed our contract. He was lucid and very much about himself so I didn’t question whether he was of sound mind. The reviewer said to me on the phone call that he was drunk and didn’t know better and in the written review he did not remember asking for anything. Earlier on the wedding day while I was setting up the photo-booth for the reception, the groom came into the reception hall and was wanting a few things moved around for their reception. I introduced myself and proceeded to help him with the few changes. So, this is a bit confusing as to not knowing who I was. During the telephone call with the bride, I told her that the groom had requested to add an hour and did so in front of our police officers. I told her that he spoke directly to the officer and asked if they would please stay. When she realized that she was not going to be able to get her money back she then asked for a refund of the seven guest that did not show up which she confirmed for.

I am truly sorry if the cake topper was not on the cake. It is very surprising to me since our seasoned event staff has a check list for the pre-event and that is one particular thing the Event Coordinator checks as well as the Event Team Leader. Regarding not being offered wedding cake, we always put a serving of cake at the bride and groom’s dinner places as well as in their to-go dinner boxes that we send with them when they leave for the evening. At the end of their event, they had a sparkler send off. Once the couple had left the building our staff proceeded to bring all of the personal décor, gifts, etc. to the buffet tables for the family to easily load into their personal vehicles. We then changed all the guest table linens and re-set the room. We also swept, mopped, remove all trash & took to the dumpster, finish kitchen duties, made sure the family had gotten all of their belongings, cleaned the restrooms, took the soiled laundry to the main house to be washed & put away our golf cart. This takes about 45 minutes after the event is over. Sometimes people will linger visiting at their cars. Our exterior lights are on photo cells which are on all night. We never have a couple exit and immediately turn off the lights as communicated in this review. This is the first that we have been told of anyone falling or being hurt. I hope all is well.
    Although we would never want to upset any client of ours, the photo that was provided by the photographer was gorgeous. Many of our ads are photos of our clients. Our contract states that the client gives Ashelynn Manor permission to use any photography in displays, marketing, advertising and/or social media. This item is listed directly above the signature line of the client. However, if a client does not want their photos used by us, they just have to let us know. We will note their file and make sure we accommodate them. This term was not contested at the time of signing the contract. The moment I received the email from this bride, I immediately removed the photo from our page.
    To the reader of this review: This is why it is so very important to read your contracts (in this case) the venue, photographer, etc. So you will know the parameters of what you can expect and what is expected of you. Very important.

Samantha · Married on 04/17/2009

0.6
      0.0

Absolutely awful! My dad properly compares them to a cattle shoot; they had 3 weddings the same weekend as mine and all they saw my wedding as was $$$. It seems everyone that works there is either a relative or long-time friend of the owners, I guess they see nepotism as another way to cut costs making professionalism is non-existant. They fired the DJ we chose but did not inform us of this or send us the new DJ's information (Tessie, the owner) asked if we had his info at our rehearsal 2 days before the wedding. When we asked why we had not been contacted Haley (I think she's their 'sales' girl who also could not tell us the difference between different items on the menus) told us that our file must have been OVERLOOKED! They also had 2 rehearsals held 3 hour before my wedding in the chapel which was already fully decorated for my wedding. The members of one wedding party were still visiting in the chapel when my wedding guests were arriving. We were always told that we needed to call back later or another day in order to have questions answered. It was as if there was no sense of urgency or even care in them. There are so many things that went wrong with them that it amazes me that we actually got through the day.
    The venue is beautiful and very charming; I just wish the staff would have been just as great.

Sent on 05/13/2009