Amphora Catering Reviews

85 Reviews for Amphora Catering

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

• Calvin

Calvin Shintani · Married on 06/21/2019

Fabulous variety at food stations

Xochitl and Amphora Catering provided us an outstanding selection of food stations for our wedding celebration: delicious, great variety, and excellent service.

Sent on 08/09/2019

Ashley B. · Married on 12/01/2018

Loved our wedding food!

Loved Amphora! I am so glad we decided to go w/ them for our wedding. My husband and I did a cocktail reception with heavy-passed appetizers and stations (rather than a plated dinner), plus late-night snacks and the food was delicious! Got multiple compliments from our guests. Some of our favorites included lollipop lamb chops, fajitas, chicken satay, goat cheese tartlets and mini crab cakes. From helping us formulate a menu to the day of - the whole Amphora team were professionals throughout. I should note that we did multiple tastings with other caterers that were SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than Amphora - for seemingly the same amount of food. Would highly recommend them - great food for a great value!

Sent on 02/18/2019
  • Victoria

Victoria · Married on 11/11/2018

Best food ever!

Xochitl was amazing. Couldn’t have asked for anything better than the dedication she gave us. The food was AMAZING. Truly the best salmon I’ve ever eaten in my life.

Sent on 07/29/2019
  • Jillian

Jillian · Married on 08/25/2018

We worked with Amphora for our wedding on 25 August. Amphora had the best prices for food a bar package among the caterers we surveyed in the DC area. We were able to set up a tasting quickly due to the fast and detailed correspondence of the Amphora staff. The tasting room was our first clue that we had chosen the right caterer, with its beautiful decorations and displays of what Amphora was capable of. Throughout the planning of our wedding, Amphora staff went above and beyond to help us with our menu and were on site during our venue walk through at Oatlands - the two vendors have a great relationship with each other! During the wedding, Amphora staff made sure we were comfortable and even has staff dedicated to us to ensure we had time to eat during the busy day. Xochitl, our point of contact for the wedding day was so nice and accommodating and I heard from numerous family members that she made a point to ensure everything was going smoothly. Amphora behaved with such integrity and professionalism, not to mention the food was awesome, that I would recommend them to anyone looking for a caterer - no matter the event type.

Sent on 10/11/2018

Courtney · Married on 05/19/2018

We used Amphora Catering for our wedding reception at Brookside Gardens. They were amazing in every way! The food was delicious and the service was great. Xochitl was our main contact from start to finish and she exceeded our expectations in all ways. She's so knowledgeable and experienced that she could anticipate any complications and knew exactly how to put the right touches on everything. We had planned to do an outdoor reception, but the weather didn't cooperate. She helped to make the indoor space beautiful and offered to set up a bonus cocktail area in the atrium that was a great addition and use of the space. She and her staff were also great when it came to set up and take down- they even helped us to unload our cars and packed up all of our leftovers for us. And the most important part- the food was delicious!! Couldn't have asked for a better experience :) Highly recommend Amphora- they take care of you from start to finish and they will make sure your event is a success!

Sent on 06/03/2018

Amphora Catering's reply:

Going above and beyond (even taking on Mother Nature when necessary :) is our mission to insure every couple has a perfect day! We were thrilled to partner with Courtney to create cherished memories to share with family and friends. We appreciate the lovely review and wish the couple all the happiness in the world.

Jennifer · Married on 12/30/2017

We loved our experience with Amphora, and wholeheartedly recommend them as a wedding caterer. After researching over 30 caterers and reaching out to a handful of them, we knew Amphora was perfect. Our wonderful experience with them started when we met Xochitl for our tasting. After telling her our venue, she hand-drew from memory a possible layout of all the food, chairs, tables, and bars. Immediately we could tell the level of attention and detail she would put into making sure everything was exactly as we wanted for the wedding. She was always prompt, professional, accommodating, and extremely friendly. Working with her was always delightful and made planning much less stressful. She attended the entire reception and looked after everything herself, which was reassuring. The day of everything was perfect, and ran exactly how we expected and hoped for.

Now to the food – it was delicious. Over a dozen guests told us during the wedding and over the following days we had the best wedding food they’d ever eaten. Amphora’s tasting experience was great and sold us on choosing them. We tried a wide-range of the dishes and hors d'oeuvres we were considering. We chose the buffet option for dinner and couldn’t be more pleased with the quality and service. Everything was cooked to perfection. They accommodated our request to change the standard set of options, serving an additional main entrée of the butternut squash ravioli. Not only were we impressed with the tastiness of the hors d'oeuvres, but there were plenty served in constant circulation.

Xochitl and the rest of the Staff at Amphora, thank you. Our special day was perfect in large part their catering. You will be in great hands with Amphora.

Sent on 01/22/2018

Em · Married on 09/29/2017

Easily one of the best choices we made in our whole wedding planning saga was to hire Amphora Catering. Xochitl was an absolute rock star. Not only did she cover with the traditional food, table, chair, and china choices, but she helped us figure out exactly how the evening should flow, the best way to flip the room from ceremony to reception, where the buffet should go, etc., even going as far as to send us pictures of other weddings she worked at our venue in the meantime so we could see different options in the space itself. On the food side of things, I can’t count the number of complements we got. Everyone loved the creativity and selection Amphora offered, and the cake balls disappeared in the blink of an eye! The staff working the day-of were equally amazing. They helped set up the space before the ceremony, made us plates so we didn’t forget to eat, guided guests through the buffet line, as a few examples of the many ways their hard work made our wedding perfect. Thank you!

Sent on 11/13/2017
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 09/09/2017

I worked with Xochitl at Amphora and she was great! She was incredibly professional and experienced. She responded to emails within 48 hours even if she was sick or out of town (not that I would every expect that, but how is that for customer service!). She was very flexible with us. She probably re-drafted our proposal a dozen times as we made changes. We ordered some specialty linens from another company, and she was very easy going about that, which I understand may not always be the case since the caterer would prefer you use what they provide.
    Our guests were raving about the food. Amphora creates really delicious meals that appear to be very complex, but are simple enough to please most taste buds! We did a seated/plated dinner and had salmon and beef tenderloin which were both amazing. They were very flexible and allowed me to pick two different sides since the salmon and beef were just so different that one side for all wouldn't work for both plates.
    The service was incredible. The staff were so nice and made sure that my husband and I got served at least one of each of the passed appetizers. The servers were quick and made sure that dinners were passed out quickly so that no one was sitting and waiting for their meal for too long. It was an absolutely incredible dinner (at least I thought so!).
    As far as value goes, all caterers in the DMV are going to be expensive. Especially if you want good food. You can save yourself a little money here and there, but at the end of the day the caterer should be your most expensive line-item anyways. Amphora ranks about in the middle in terms of cost. I did a lot of research and broke down all of the proposals I received and Amphora was the best bang for your buck.
    I did find a piece of plastic wrap in my salad, but I can understand how easily that could happen when you are unwrapping 130 salads at lightening speed. Overall it was fantastic, so I can't let one small piece of plastic wrap ruin all of that.

Sent on 09/12/2017

Mark · Married on 04/17/2017

Amphora met the dietary challenges for vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free guests with a selection of cakes and cupcakes. These items were so delicious that even guest without allergies were raving about the taste. This selection enhanced the celebration by including those with serious allergies who otherwise would have been excluded from dessert. It was a small detail with a big bonus effect in guest satisfaction and happiness. We loved it and they loved it. And by the way, the regular wedding cake was beautiful and delicious.

Sent on 05/05/2017

Stefanie · Married on 10/09/2016

We had the opportunity to work with Xochitl at Amphora and she truly made our wedding magical. She worked so hard to make sure everything was exactly as we wanted it. Many of our guests commented on how awesome the food was. Thanks for everything!

Sent on 10/28/2016

Michelle · Married on 08/20/2016

Amphora was simply amazing! We did a different type of reception and went with a tapas style dinner. At first I was not sure if it would be enough food, but they served food for 3 hours, passing around heavy appetizers! Our guests LOVED it-- it was very special and unique, and made our wedding even better! Our cupcakes were amazing! We also had a flat bread station--- toward the end of the night, simply amazing! Amphora you guys rocked it! We got a deal! Thank you!

Sent on 08/29/2016
  • Mary

Mary · Married on 08/13/2016

Such a great experience working with Amphora Bakery for our wedding cake! We were able to do a personalized cake tasting at the bakery prior to our wedding, which was absolutely delicious :P I don’t think I’ve eaten that much cake in one sitting before. I was in heaven! We worked with Maryam throughout the whole planning process. She was really wonderful and assisted us in selecting the perfect cake that also worked with our hotel package. She also helped us to match everything to our wedding colors. We ended up selecting alternating layers of chocolate mousse and amaretto cake. So delicious!! When I walked into the ballroom for the bride and groom entrance one of the first things I noticed was the cake. It was gorgeous and looked just like the model in the store. I would highly recommend Amphora Bakery for anyone who would like the perfect wedding cake!

Sent on 08/28/2016

Sarah · Married on 08/06/2016

I absolutely loved our experience using Amphora Catering for our August 6, 2016 wedding. Our venue, The Winery at Bull Run, required us to choose from a short list of preferred caterers and I am SO glad we picked Amphora! Xochitl and her team were so accommodating and flexible throughout the planning process. On the night of our wedding, they made sure my husband and I got to try some of the passed hors d'oeuvres before the reception, and Xochitl brought plates from the buffet to us at our sweetheart table. Our guests also enjoyed the popcorn and dessert stations! Amphora created custom cookies for our favors which were beautiful. Overall, Amphora is worth every penny and will go to great lengths to make sure your day goes off without a hitch!

Sarah & Andrew P.

Sent on 08/14/2016

Sarah · Married on 08/06/2016

I can't explain how much I loved working with Amphora catering. They went above and beyond, especially Xotchil, to make my wedding beautiful. They even add touches in decoration to make it amazing and everyone told me how delicious the food is. Totally recommend!

Sent on 09/16/2016

Emma · Married on 06/11/2016

Amphora Catering did a fantastic job of catering our wedding. They were very responsive and willing to help us out with any request or question we had. We worked mostly with Xochitl who was very knowledgeable on how our venue worked and made sure everything ran smoothly. The set up at the venue was beautiful and we didn't have to lift a finger! Not to mention the food was delicious and we received so many compliments!! I would definitely recommend Amphora to anyone who is looking for a wonderful wedding experience!

Sent on 06/15/2016

Kathryn · Married on 04/10/2016

Words cannot describe how much we enjoyed working with Xochitl at Amphora Catering. She flawlessly executed our wedding and exceeded our expectations. Amphora Catering provided us with a delicious southern comfort buffet, sweet tea and lemonade refreshments, and worked with us to design the event space fitting with our rustic venue- wine barrels with slate boards, burlap linens and gorgeous farm tables to name a few. Amphora Catering is more than just a menu to choose from, they really act like a full-service wedding planning firm. On the day of the wedding Xochitl stepped in to not only coordinate the set up of the furniture rental, linens and food and beverage, but also handled the floral set-up and coordinated with the venue contact to ensure that the night went smoothly. When my husband and I entered the venue we were literally speechless. Some couples lament that something always goes wrong on your wedding day, but we couldn't have felt further from that. Our day was perfect and it was no doubt due to Xochitl. The venue looked gorgeous and the food was absolutely delicious- we even got enough leftovers packed up to feed us for a week! We highly recommend Amphora Catering for all of your event needs as they are a truly exceptional small business in NOVA.

Sent on 07/30/2016

Kristen · Married on 10/02/2015

I cannot recommend Amphora enough! They were one of many caterers on our venue's preferred list. They were by far the easiest to work with! Very quick response times, and knowledgeable and professional staff! We had a super small wedding (19 total) and honestly had a hard time with several vendors giving us the time of day. Not the case with Amphora! We had such a fun time at our tasting, picking out our menu with Candace. Our wedding was this past Friday and everything was amazing!! We ran super behind schedule and I was worried about how they would keep our food fresh and tasting good, but they clearly know what they are doing! Their staff at our wedding were great, and everything was just perfect!

Sent on 10/04/2015

I hired both Amphora Catering and Amphora Bakery for my wedding. Both were absolutely wonderful. They both immediately understood what I wanted, put me at ease, and got the job done. Would definitely recommend them to a friend.

Sent on 12/18/2015

We got a tiramisu cake for our wedding and it was amazing. We worked w/ Kay to get ideas and formulate the design of our cake and it turned out amazing. We received so many compliments from our friends and family about the cake. Somehow I had to wait a few days to eat the cake but when I did, it was amazing. We had gone in to Amphora just to try the tiramisu, but the cake was not made as a traditional tiramisu; I believe it was more of a standard cake w/ tiramisu design, filling, and flavoring. Regardless of it being cake vs lady fingers, it was delicious!

Sent on 09/22/2015

Sharon · Married on 11/21/2014

I cannot say enough about Amphora and our POC Candace. Whatever was asked, changed or requested last minute the staff was there. Candace moved through our event like a magical genie making sure my husband and I were satisfied.
    They incorporated our movie theme throughout our wedding, adding movie reels, clappers and projectors throughout the wedding.
    The food was outstanding!!!! We received so many praises on dinner. Especially the braised beef rib, it was to die for! The only complaint my husband and I had was we didn't get to taste the delicious chicken wings before they were all gone.
    I cannot thank Amphora, Candace and her crew enough. We will definitely use this company for future events.

Sent on 11/26/2014

I would highly recommend Amphora for your catering! They provided service and food of a five star restaurant. The presentation of the food was amazing. The food on the buffet stayed hot from the first guest to the last one. Our guests could not stop talking about their appetizers: specifically their crab dip, artichoke and spinach dip, and their chicken and waffles. Munira was fabulous to work with. She made sure everything you wanted was done exactly as you requested. The bride and groom felt like they were treated like royalty. Highly recommend Amphora!!

Sent on 11/12/2014

Traci · Married on 10/18/2014

I loved working with Munira at Amphora. She was professional, helpful, prompt and responsive. They catered my wedding at Breaux Vineyards. The food was fantastic and the set up was gorgeous! I will definitely use her again for corporate events, birthdays, etc. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 11/10/2014

We recently used Amphora to cater our rehearsal dinner at my parent's home and I could not believe how incredible the service and the food was! It surpassed my expectations! Candace and the crew she had were outstanding!

Sent on 07/21/2014

Michelle · Married on 03/29/2014

I have used Amphora's Bakery for years and only because their cakes are so delicious! I had attended an event that was catered by Amphora and knew then that I would want them to cater my wedding. Angela the owner is awesome and really creative. I was blown away by the food at my wedding and the services that was provided. Everything I wanted and that they offered met my expectations. I highly recommend Amphora to do your catering, they really know how to handle their events so that you can enjoy yourself. All of my guests commented how great the food and service was. Thank you to Angela and the Amphora team!

Sent on 04/10/2014

Amphora Catering's reply:

Hi Michelle! Thank you for your wonderful review. Providing you with great food and service is our main goal and we are glad that we have exceeded your expectations. We are honored to serve you on your special day and we look forward to serving you again on your next events!

From you friends at Amphora

Five stars all the way. Once we sat for a tasting, we knew the food would be good. Marcelo and Patricia worked with us for about a year to make my daughter's wedding flawless. They helped with the setup of our décor and helped to keep everyone cool. The service and setup during cocktail hour and dinner was exceptional. Our guests had only to nod and someone was there to take care of their needs. Cleanup was taken care of very efficiently and everyone left the facility within an hour and half, leaving the place spotless. The cake from Amphora Bakery was beautiful and just exactly what my daughter ordered. Thank you, Amphora, for taking such good care of us on such a special day!

Sent on 02/05/2014

Amphora Catering's reply:

On Behalf of our team here at Amphora Catering and Bakery, We would like to thank you for the excellent review of our services. We are grateful to be part of your daughter's special day. It is our goal to make each event flawless and memorable for our clients. We hope you will continue to choose Amphora for all your catering and bakery needs.

Speaking of Amphora Bakery, we do have Amphora Bakery page on wedding wire, we would appreciate to hear more about your cake review. Once again Thank You for letting us be a part of your wonderful day.

Best Wishes,