Abbey Catering & Event Design Co Reviews

84 Reviews for Abbey Catering & Event Design Co

• Erynn

Erynn · Married on 11/12/2020

Top Quality

We had Petr as our day of coordinator and he was wonderful! He listened to our vision and made it come to life! Everyone was raving about all the food too. We would highly recommend Abbey Catering for any event!

Sent on 11/18/2020

Rashonne · Married on 11/17/2019

Great Food!

Wow, we were so surprised by how good the food was at our wedding! It's literally one of the top things our guests keep raving about. You know how you've gone to a wedding, were starving by the time dinner began, only to find that it was mediocre? Seriously not the case for us. It was flavorful, and the portions were great. They even accommodated me and had a super yummy vegan spaghetti squash option. We also did open bar, which was pretty reasonable, with top shelf liquor. The staff was courteous, professional, and top-notch.

Sent on 01/16/2020
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 11/16/2019

Our wedding food

Newly engaged, I knew the first thing I needed to book was my caterer. The process of weeding through catering options was exhausting, until I found Chuck at The Abbey Catering. He helped me craft a few menus before I found THE ONE. He was quick to email me back and even answered all my questions over the phone when I was stressed. I shared the “food trial” with my mom where all staff was very nice! The Abbey respected my budget and I appreciated that! Wedding day, we were able to munch on all the yummy appetizers. My guests loved the food and I was overall pleased with the process! Thank you for making my Baja Elegance dream come true!

Sent on 11/30/2019
  • Molly

Molly P. · Married on 11/09/2019

BEST catering and event design company!!

I used Abbey Catering & Event Design Co for my wedding on 10/27/19 that I planned from Denver. From start to finish, they were professional, very communicative, and are extremely detail-oriented. Everything was well planned out and they have all of the systems in place to put together a seamless wedding day. Our guests all raved about the food and how it is the best food they have had at a wedding. Our wedding coordinator, Petr, was INCREDIBLE. He is personable, professional, responsive and extremely helpful with the many questions we had throughout the planning process. He set up our decor and has an eye for detail and beauty that I couldn't have pulled off. The wedding ceremony and reception went off without a hitch thanks to him and his team. We are so thankful we made the best decision by going with this 5-star company for our big day and I would highly recommend Abbey Catering for your next event based on my experience, they go above and beyond the standard!

Sent on 11/08/2019

Kimberly S. · Married on 10/11/2019

Surpassed every expectation

The Abbey went above and beyond! As a previous event planner, I knew my expectations were higher than the average but the Abbey did not disappoint. Our journey started off a bit rocky when our original venue fell through. It was not the Abbey or ours fault but they did everything they could to make sure we found a venue we loved just as much and were happy. Special shout out to Matt who was the original contact for us.

We got married at the El Cortez in San Diego. Chuck was our day-of coordinator and he was the absolute best. It’s always tricky when dealing with vendors because their expectations may vary from yours but I must give them the biggest compliments. The Abbey was the biggest reason we decided to get married in SD and use them as our caterers, day-of coordinator, etc. Their service from conception to execution to completion made the wedding a piece of cake. We did not worry about anything because Chuck and the Abbey did it all. I highly recommend them for any event besides a wedding because they genuinely care about you, your families, the guests and know what an important day it is for all involved. I cannot thank them enough for everything and I hope we have another reason to hire the Abbey again in the future!

Sent on 12/05/2019

Kari · Married on 09/01/2019

Truly the best!

If you're looking for someone to help you with all the different aspects of your wedding, you can't go wrong with Abbey Catering & Event Design Co! They are true professionals, and EXCEPTIONAL at what they do. Our wedding day was absolute perfection, and they were a huge reason why! We would recommend them to anyone!

Sent on 09/05/2019
  • Rosario

Rosario · Married on 08/17/2019

Absolutely fantastic!

The Abbey was amazing from the very beginning. The tasting was extremely relaxing and professional and elegant. We were able to pick from a range of different appetizers and they worked with us on every little thing, from linens to china to lighting to timing. Jessica was our event captain and made it to my venue walk-thru and provided so much insight and care. She worked with my wedding coordinator and made everything so easy! On the day of, Jessica made us feel like celebrities and our guests were all raving about the bartending and service and food being phenomenal. Would recommend the Abbey to anyone looking for a wondrful catering company!

Sent on 11/06/2019
  • Sarah

Sarah E. · Married on 08/03/2019

Wonderful company

We hired the Abbey Catering for our wedding and I’m beyond pleased with what we got. We loved the all inclusive package as we live out of town and it made the planning much easier! Through the package you pick certain options and vendors that work with the company and for the most part, I was highly pleased. Chuck ended up being our wedding coordinator (a huge plus in the package) and he was awesome. He answered all my countless and often repetitive questions (I was in nursing school and had a hard time keeping things straight) and really went above and beyond to make our day amazing (he worked with us on package options and even fulfilled a verbal promise made by a former employee). He really did bring my vision to fruition and I’d even say, surpassed it.

Sent on 08/27/2019
  • Brianna

Brianna · Married on 06/15/2019

Had an amazing wedding

Had my wedding at the Cuvier club June 15, 2019. I used the abbey catering company for majority of my wedding planning. I started with the 7 option package, but then ended up only using 6. They have a lot of great options to choose from but I was just a little to bridzilla 😬😂 Federico was our wedding coordinator and he was nothing shy of AMAZING ! He worked with all the vendors and really made sure my day was perfect. Other vendors that were amazing !! La Jolla florist - Dorthy was the sweetest
    Yummy cupcakes -Renato (so delicious)
    Supreme Dj- Alex (everyone was dancing)
    Concept designs- charger plates and elegant table clothes make a huge difference
    Mission hills home- was a nice property but a little further than I wanted to stay. But definitely do recommend the Scripps in if your wedding is in La Jolla!
    I chose to use an outside photographer and videographer so I do not have input for those options.

Oh and the food was a hit! We did the short rib and chicken picatta.
    Bottom line is you cannot go wrong with this company.

Sent on 07/28/2019

Angela G. · Married on 06/02/2019

Amazing!! Definitely recommend!!

We recently got married at Cuvier Club and everything was beautiful and perfect!! The service was great, the food was great, and the venue was great, everything was phenomenal!! Our coordinator was Chuck Ferrante and he did the best job! He really outdid himself and went above and beyond for us!! We highly recommend the Cuvier Club!! Everyone who works there is wonderful and we especially loved Chuck!!

Sent on 06/21/2019

Mar S. · Married on 04/05/2019

Incredible Service and Venue

Petr and the Abbey team were absolutely incredible. When we first saw the venues and services offered, we did not think we would be able to afford it, but their prices are so competitive, especially when choosing the "all-inclusive" package. Having other vendors already associated with the venue made planning very easy. We live out of the country, and Petr and the vendors (Bill Rice photo, timecode media, DJ Big Willie Style) made it so easy to plan a wedding from abroad and were so accommodating to our schedules when we were in SD. We loved the Cuvier club, it was perfect for our cocktail hour and reception. Our guests loved the food and music. Best night ever!

Sent on 10/06/2019

Cristina A. · Married on 03/30/2019

Very organized and amazing experience!

Since we first booked them, Abbey’s staff has been so helpful and organized! Their food is amazing. Definitely could eat a plate of the beef wellington, and boneless short ribs over and over again! All our guests loved the food!

Sent on 04/06/2019

Alex · Married on 03/16/2019

Even the Stoic Russians were Happy

My wife and I just got married last weekend, and we're so happy that we had The Abbey as our caterer. I come from a large Russian family who, how do I say this...always complains about the food at events. There either isn't enough; it isn't good; it isn't Russian - you get the idea. That's why my wife and I were glad when we found out The Abbey could serve our food family style. The staff were all incredibly helpful throughout the planning process, and the food was absolutely delicious. For the first time in a long time, my large, Russian family was satiated and actually quiet. My wife and I strongly recommend anyone looking for a caterer (family style or otherwise) consider The Abbey.

Sent on 03/23/2019
  • Pam

Pam · Married on 01/05/2019

Absolutely amazing

BOOK! THE! ABBEY!

Our wedding was everything we had imagined and more because of The Abbey Catering & Event Design!!! When we started to plan our wedding, I stumbled upon their yelp reviews and it seemed too good to be true. But The Abbey truly is your “fairy godmother” and makes your dream wedding a reality. Everyone on their team who worked with us (Petr, Chuck, Kaycee, Megan L., Megan B, the bartender, tasting staff, and catering staff) goes above and beyond to make you feel like you are the only wedding they are planning. They make it look effortless even though planning a wedding with that many moving pieces, vendors, and changes is a huge undertaking. They respond quickly and make it their mission to exceed your expectations. They answered all our questions and listened to all of our ideas along the way. They were accommodating and happy to make changes and additions. Not only is their food presentation beautiful, but it’s absolutely delicious. We left our tasting wishing we could have selected every item! Our guests were complimenting us all night long on how beautiful the tables looked and how incredible the food was. From the tasting, to the table settings, to the food, to the staff, everything was absolutely PERFECT!

You’ll also be assigned a day of coordinator. We were assigned Petr and he is BEYOND incredible!!! There are not enough words to describe just how amazing he is. His attention to detail, his meticulous organization, his work ethic, and fantastic personality will leave you wishing he could be your day of coordinator for every event in your life. He made sure that everything ran smoothly before, during, and after the wedding. I even brought in some outside items (seating chart, table numbers, rose petals, and flower girl baskets) which Petr was happy to set up for me before the wedding started. He is determined to make sure your wedding is the BEST day of your life. Petr also makes sure the bride and groom are taken care of throughout the night with food and drinks!

We bought the all-inclusive package which included 5 vendors that they’ve worked with for years. I highly recommend each of the vendors below because they were all amazing! You can check their business pages for my individualized reviews!

Flowers: Adelaide’s (Craig and Mishele)

Cake: Flour Power

Videographer: Time Code Media (Tareq)

DJ: Sleeping Giant Music (Freddie and Mikey)

Hair & Makeup (Dana Boyle)

*Photography: Courtney Sargent Photography (She’s not a vendor who works with the Abbey. She is based in Phoenix, AZ. Her work is absolutely amazing and she is always willing to travel!)

This review and the words ‘thank you’ will never fully express our gratitude we have for The Abbey. They provided us with the most magical happily ever after!!

Sent on 03/20/2019
  • Tia

Tia · Married on 11/30/2018

Amazing food!!!

Abbey Catering Co. did such a wonderful job on our food for the reception. The appetizers were fresh and constantly being passed around during cocktail hour. When we were seated, a salad was waiting at our seat and then shortly after we receive ed our dual plated meal. For appetizers we had the Coconut Shrimp, Boardwalk Crab Cake, Spicy Soyrizo-Chevre Quesadilla, and Cream Cheese Wonton. For dinner we had Chili-Garlic rubbed Tri-Tip, Black Peppercorn Demi and the Panko-Herb Crusted Chicken Breast with gorgonzola cream sauce, veggies, and truffle mashed potatoes (sooooo delicious!) Also, our bartender for the wedding was SO GREAT!

Sent on 12/06/2018

Brian · Married on 11/10/2018

Call Jesse at The Abbey catering. He gave us a wealth of information and helped us schedule tours. We went with a package, wedding is coming soon. I just had to post about how easy this was to plan a wedding!

Sent on 11/10/2016

Christina · Married on 07/08/2018

Abbey Catering & Event Design Co were amazing. My husband and I are so happy we made the right choice to have our wedding here last month. After checking out several other venues, the Abbey seemed like they offered the most complete package at a reasonable price. We can not say enough about Chuck Ferrante, our wedding coordinator. From start to finish he helped piece together the wedding of our dreams. Chuck was very organized, friendly, patient and a great communicator. We received so many complements from our guests on the food and service. My husband is very frugal and struggled with the idea of tipping from the start, but after our beautiful day he gladly tipped above the average. Which is saying a lot for him lol.

Sent on 08/11/2018

Nicole · Married on 06/08/2018

The Abbey & Chuck Ferrante helped create the wedding that we dreamed of. Everything from the beginning of planning was organized and on point. Their attention to detail is incredible, and they were always in communication with us. I honestly can say our day was above our expectations. I have already recommended The Abbey, and one of my bridesmaids is now using them! Thank you so much for making our day one to always remember!

Sent on 06/13/2018

Cindi · Married on 03/30/2018

We lucked out when we found out that Abbey Catering was the La Jolla Cove Suites & Hotels exclusive caterer and it was one of the reasons why we chose our wonderful venue. Julie and Petr helped me take care of everything and wedding planning couldn't have been easier. We chose the All-Inclusive option and it was so simple to find and choose vendors for photography, videography, flowers, cake, photo booth and much more! Everything was coordinated through Petr, from the tastings to vendor arrivals and decorations...he did a wonderful job and was so fun! Petr was so responsive to our every need and answered all questions with the utmost patience! He served our delicious tasting and even that was so much fun! He made sure every moment of our wedding was perfect and took care of anything I wanted on the spot. I brought a lot of decorations and he set everything up just perfect and probably better than I would have, he has such an eye for detail. I am extremely glad I found Abbey Catering and Petr because we wouldn't have been able to pull off our wedding on our own. I would recommend them to anyone planning a wedding or event. They were amazing all around!

Sent on 04/30/2018

Becky · Married on 03/10/2018

The Couvier Club was the first and last venue that we looked at when deciding on where to get married. I walked in to the venue and was blown away by how beautiful the space was. We were lucky enough to get Petr as our wedding planner and he went above and beyond with every single thing that we could have needed. He is so wonderful to work with and helped create the perfect day for us.

The vendors you have to choose from are top notch. We went with 4 Seasons Flowers for our florist and I would HIGHLY recommend using them. We also went with Kuba Kreations for our cake and it was PERFECT. We chose Sleeping Giant Music for our DJ and had DJ Bernard. Let me be very clear: DJ BERNARD IS THE BEST! If you can get him for your wedding, do it. The dance floor was going non stop the entire night and people kept asking us who our DJ was because he was so amazing.

Our wedding was perfect and we could not have asked for a better team. Petr, THANK YOU for everything you did to make our wedding day so special. Overall, wonderful experience, wonderful people, great venue, and best day of my entire life.

Sent on 04/07/2018

Chris · Married on 01/14/2018

Chuck was the absolute best. He was very responsive to all our questions (there were a lot), and made our wedding day go off without a hitch. We were coming from out of town and had to plan the wedding from afar and we couldn't have done that without him and the whole Abbey Catering staff.

Sent on 02/06/2018

Justin · Married on 01/06/2018

The Abbey organized our wedding at the Darlington House earlier this month and they did an AMAZING job. My husband and I are both unorganized and forgetful, and we were terrified about planning a wedding while simultaneously graduating and moving out of state.

Our coordinator, Petr, saved the day. He was extremely organized and stayed on top of everything. He was encouraging and patient with us when we were slow to make decisions and when we forgot deadlines. Petr was always enthusiastic and genuinely excited for us, which made him a blast to work and communicate with. I cannot emphasize it enough- he was truly fantastic. He made wedding planning stress-free AND produced a wedding more beautiful than we could have imagined. He took our "vision" and then improved it ten-fold.

We did the "all inclusive" package and the vendors that partner with the Abbey are also INCREDIBLE. No complaints- I would reuse all of them in a heartbeat. The Abbey did all the communicating/coordinating between them for us, including organizing an all-vendor meeting to plan out the entire timeline, from 8am to 10pm. The day of the event, Petr took care of everything. We were actually able to enjoy our wedding (our friends warned us that we would be too preoccupied to have fun) because we didn't need to check/contact/plan anything. The final product was phenomenal and I had friends tell me it was the best wedding they'd been to in years (some even joked that they wished they could re-do their own). We loved the Abbey and we loved Petr. We 110% recommend them for your future event!

Sent on 01/21/2018

Jessica · Married on 10/22/2017

I don't even know where to begin with how amazing this company is. If you are getting married, I would recommend the Abbey 100 times over! I was never stressed out and with their help every step of the way, our wedding day turned out flawlessly! No joke....they are as good as their reviews! Everyone from the first person I ever talked to, to the food, to the all the vendors they have, to our wedding coordinator was truly just amazing.

Petr was assigned to us as our coordination and we were truly blessed to have him be apart of our day. He is extraordinary at what he does and is able to take any vision and make it possible. He was available to me whenever I needed him! He has so much patience and understanding for how important and special your day is, he is the person you want as your coordinator!

Thank you Abbey Catering for making everything so much easier for me and making our day so special!

Sent on 11/29/2017

Jessica · Married on 10/21/2017

We hired The Abbey Catering & Event for month of wedding coordinator about 6 months prior to our wedding. The team was super helpful even before the month of the wedding, they'd answer logistics questions and give recommendations when asked. One month our we were assigned Chuck as our coordinator and he did NOT disappoint! He was super responsive and helped get us organized with our timeline and vendors. He helped with set up the day before as well as day of and helped clean our venue after so we didn't have to worry about it. We would have been a hot mess without him!

Sent on 10/25/2017

Emily · Married on 10/21/2017

Our wedding went perfect! We had booked with the Abbey / Cuvier Club 15 months in advance of our wedding. Every step of the way was a breeze and the planner (Megan) and coordinator (Petr) were fantastic and exceeded our expectations immensely!

The food (Abbey), the DJ (Brian Schwartz), Photographer (Bill Rice), Videographer (Tareq Zaatari), Cake (Yummy Cupcakes) and Florist (Adelaide's) were all amazing and we could not have even dreamt of a better wedding day and planning experience. Every one of the vendors worked so seamlessly with each other.

Our guests had an amazing time and raved about the food and the venue. The Cuvier Club / Abbey made our day so special and we can't thank them enough!

Sent on 10/25/2017