Abbey Catering & Event Design Co Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2010 Winner

• Marjorie
    Marjorie S. Married on 03/05/2022

Such a great experience

My husband and I were almost suspicious of Abbey's high rating. But after hiring them to do our catering and event planning, we totally get it. Chuck was our wedding coordinator. He was so great. Relaxed, organized, on top of it, and fun to hang out with. One of our groomsman said they would trust Chuck with their life. We really believe their coordinating services saved us money, and we loved all the vendors. It was very calming to know that all our vendors had worked together before, and they knew exactly what was up. Without the Abbey I think things would have been super stressful, but they really made it as easy as wedding planning can be. I will never forget you, Chuck.
  • Tim
    Tim A. Married on 02/20/2022

10/10 for their wonderful service!

We all know that choosing a wedding caterer can be a daunting task. When deciding on food service and rentals there are a lot of things to consider when hiring a company for a wedding. We decided to go with Abbey for all the above and cannot thank them enough for their incredible contribution to our wedding. Let us begin with the food. It was so good! We had family and friends come up to us and rave about the food (both the appetizers and entrée). When we finally got a chance to eat we understood everyone’s enthusiasm. We actually had a friend since the wedding tell us they are trying to re-create one of the dishes! Next was the customer service. Our first interactions were with the sales team (Michelle). She was so helpful answered all of our questions promptly and never tried to over-sell anything. She helped us lock in our wedding venue even before we decided to hire Abbey. That showed us that this company is not all about making money but they really care about their clients. Everyone in the operations or office roles were very kind and patient with us. A great benefit of Abbey’s service package is the event captain. We must give a special shout out to ours Chuck. He listened and remembered everything we asked for and every suggestion he gave was spot on. He was also very friendly on the day of our wedding and made both of us feel comfortable. He thoughtfully brought appetizers to us before photos so we can have some quick bites. He amazingly accommodated our last minute (within 24hrs) changes to add more rentals for the weather. We are so happy that Chuck was a part of our big day. Finally the wait staff and bartenders were all so kind and professional. We could tell they were all experienced and friendly people. Thank you all for making our dream wedding come true. The final part of our package with Abbey were the rentals. All the rentals were good quality and well taken care of. The farm tables were beautiful! For us it made it a lot easier having the rental company also be the same as our caterer. It relieved a lot of stress to have the rental company and the catering company be one in the same. It would have just added an extra layer of coordination to go back and for the between an outside vendor. All in all Abbey deserves a 10/10 for their wonderful service! Thank you for being a part of our wedding.
  • Daniel
    Daniel F. Married on 10/30/2021

Abbey is the best

Made the wedding easy to plan from across the country. Highly recommend.
  • Lori
    Lori B. Married on 10/15/2021

Abbey Event Planning and Catering

We were skeptical after reading all the rave reviews for Abbey Catering and Event Design. How can they possibly earn straight 5s, consistently over the years? After hosting a wedding for our daughter, we see that the awards and rave reviews are well deserved. Many of our guests noted that it was the most enjoyable wedding they had ever attended. The professionals and vendors in the All-inclusive Abbey Package care about working together as a team to create an amazing event. Senior consultant Petr Trebin was assigned as our planner and coordinator and he was clearly the star of the Abbey experience. He managed all the moving parts with great skill and calm. He is experienced and knowledgeable. His artistic background helped our daughter choose the final design elements for the event and his management expertise helped with all the details of coordinating with the venue and vendors. He was also available to kindly answer our many questions and concerns in the days leading up to the wedding date. For rehearsal of the ceremony the day before the event, he skillfully and patiently taught our large group of twenty, including children, what to do. During the actual event, he energetically managed everything. His confidence and serene demeanor helped us relax as he handled the many details.

The reception food and service were also top-notch. The couple chose several tray-passed hors d'oeuvres served during the cocktail hour. They were delicious works of art on a plate. The cocktails were also noted as being especially well-crafted and served by skilled and friendly bartenders. The bride and groom even created his and her signature drinks to feature for the guests from the silver bar plan. The salad and duo entrees chosen to be served by the couple for dinner were all impressive. Many guests shared compliments. Wedding food sometimes tends to be dull, being served in a large group, but Abbey is an exception. The Abbey chefs presented creative menus and tasty dishes for all, including our vegan guests and even special meals for the children.

We also appreciated that the All-inclusive Abbey Package offered such great value for the price. We were surprised how much we could include in our wedding budget in comparison to the others we researched. Unlike other companies, they do not charge hidden costs that pop up later. The cake cutting, the corkage fees, and coffee service, etc. were all included. We are more than pleased with our choice of Abbey Event Designs and Catering to host our daughter's wedding event. We are happy we did the research and discovered the best!

The photos below by Petr.

• Lindseyb
    Lindsey B. Married on 09/12/2021

My dream wedding came true!

I cannot say enough great things about the Abbey!!! Everyone we worked with was accommodating, kind, responsive and understanding — especially when we had to change our wedding date three times due to the pandemic! We specifically worked with Petr throughout the process who ended up being my month and day of coordinator. Petr was always available to answer my questions and made me feel so taken care of. We purchased the all inclusive package with the Abbey and all of the vendors we used were amazing!! They all worked so well together and you can tell they really love what they do. Petr made our wedding day go off without a hitch. He made my dreams come true and then some with his eye for design and executed my vision flawlessly!! Everything about our day was perfect thanks to him. I am still in awe by how perfect it was.
  • Erynn
    Erynn Married on 11/12/2020

Top Quality

We had Petr as our day of coordinator and he was wonderful! He listened to our vision and made it come to life! Everyone was raving about all the food too. We would highly recommend Abbey Catering for any event!
  • Annie
    Annie K. Married on 10/24/2020

The best decision!!

Abbey Catering & Events — We couldn’t be more grateful and thrilled about our decision to use your services. From the start to end, the experience was seamless and so professional. Our guests raved about how good the food was - “the best wedding food they’ve ever had”.

Petr Trebin — our assigned coordinator just blew us away. Two weeks prior to the wedding as tensions and stress were building, we met with Petr, who covered and organized every single item you could imagine, lifted a massive burden off of our shoulders and gave us so much peace.

He stayed in lock step with us throughout the entire day. He made sure all of our provided items were properly placed, all of our bridal party was where they needed to be, & made sure my husband, myself and our guests were fed and taken care of through and through.

Not to mention he’s a professional photographer - photos attached were taken by Petr Trebin! What an absolute all star!

Rashonne Married on 11/17/2019

Great Food!

Wow, we were so surprised by how good the food was at our wedding! It's literally one of the top things our guests keep raving about. You know how you've gone to a wedding, were starving by the time dinner began, only to find that it was mediocre? Seriously not the case for us. It was flavorful, and the portions were great. They even accommodated me and had a super yummy vegan spaghetti squash option. We also did open bar, which was pretty reasonable, with top shelf liquor. The staff was courteous, professional, and top-notch.
  • Megan
    Megan Married on 11/16/2019

Our wedding food

Newly engaged, I knew the first thing I needed to book was my caterer. The process of weeding through catering options was exhausting, until I found Chuck at The Abbey Catering. He helped me craft a few menus before I found THE ONE. He was quick to email me back and even answered all my questions over the phone when I was stressed. I shared the “food trial” with my mom where all staff was very nice! The Abbey respected my budget and I appreciated that! Wedding day, we were able to munch on all the yummy appetizers. My guests loved the food and I was overall pleased with the process! Thank you for making my Baja Elegance dream come true!
  • Molly
    Molly P. Married on 11/09/2019

BEST catering and event design company!!

I used Abbey Catering & Event Design Co for my wedding on 10/27/19 that I planned from Denver. From start to finish, they were professional, very communicative, and are extremely detail-oriented. Everything was well planned out and they have all of the systems in place to put together a seamless wedding day. Our guests all raved about the food and how it is the best food they have had at a wedding. Our wedding coordinator, Petr, was INCREDIBLE. He is personable, professional, responsive and extremely helpful with the many questions we had throughout the planning process. He set up our decor and has an eye for detail and beauty that I couldn't have pulled off. The wedding ceremony and reception went off without a hitch thanks to him and his team. We are so thankful we made the best decision by going with this 5-star company for our big day and I would highly recommend Abbey Catering for your next event based on my experience, they go above and beyond the standard!
    Kimberly S. Married on 10/11/2019

Surpassed every expectation

The Abbey went above and beyond! As a previous event planner, I knew my expectations were higher than the average but the Abbey did not disappoint. Our journey started off a bit rocky when our original venue fell through. It was not the Abbey or ours fault but they did everything they could to make sure we found a venue we loved just as much and were happy. Special shout out to Matt who was the original contact for us.

We got married at the El Cortez in San Diego. Chuck was our day-of coordinator and he was the absolute best. It’s always tricky when dealing with vendors because their expectations may vary from yours but I must give them the biggest compliments. The Abbey was the biggest reason we decided to get married in SD and use them as our caterers, day-of coordinator, etc. Their service from conception to execution to completion made the wedding a piece of cake. We did not worry about anything because Chuck and the Abbey did it all. I highly recommend them for any event besides a wedding because they genuinely care about you, your families, the guests and know what an important day it is for all involved. I cannot thank them enough for everything and I hope we have another reason to hire the Abbey again in the future!
    Kari Married on 09/01/2019

Truly the best!

If you're looking for someone to help you with all the different aspects of your wedding, you can't go wrong with Abbey Catering & Event Design Co! They are true professionals, and EXCEPTIONAL at what they do. Our wedding day was absolute perfection, and they were a huge reason why! We would recommend them to anyone!
  • Rosario
    Rosario Married on 08/17/2019

Absolutely fantastic!

The Abbey was amazing from the very beginning. The tasting was extremely relaxing and professional and elegant. We were able to pick from a range of different appetizers and they worked with us on every little thing, from linens to china to lighting to timing. Jessica was our event captain and made it to my venue walk-thru and provided so much insight and care. She worked with my wedding coordinator and made everything so easy! On the day of, Jessica made us feel like celebrities and our guests were all raving about the bartending and service and food being phenomenal. Would recommend the Abbey to anyone looking for a wondrful catering company!
  • Sarah
    Sarah E. Married on 08/03/2019

Wonderful company

We hired the Abbey Catering for our wedding and I’m beyond pleased with what we got. We loved the all inclusive package as we live out of town and it made the planning much easier! Through the package you pick certain options and vendors that work with the company and for the most part, I was highly pleased. Chuck ended up being our wedding coordinator (a huge plus in the package) and he was awesome. He answered all my countless and often repetitive questions (I was in nursing school and had a hard time keeping things straight) and really went above and beyond to make our day amazing (he worked with us on package options and even fulfilled a verbal promise made by a former employee). He really did bring my vision to fruition and I’d even say, surpassed it.
  • Brianna
    Brianna Married on 06/15/2019

Had an amazing wedding

Had my wedding at the Cuvier club June 15, 2019. I used the abbey catering company for majority of my wedding planning. I started with the 7 option package, but then ended up only using 6. They have a lot of great options to choose from but I was just a little to bridzilla 😬😂 Federico was our wedding coordinator and he was nothing shy of AMAZING ! He worked with all the vendors and really made sure my day was perfect. Other vendors that were amazing !! La Jolla florist - Dorthy was the sweetest
    Yummy cupcakes -Renato (so delicious)
    Supreme Dj- Alex (everyone was dancing)
    Concept designs- charger plates and elegant table clothes make a huge difference
    Mission hills home- was a nice property but a little further than I wanted to stay. But definitely do recommend the Scripps in if your wedding is in La Jolla!
    I chose to use an outside photographer and videographer so I do not have input for those options.

Oh and the food was a hit! We did the short rib and chicken picatta.
    Bottom line is you cannot go wrong with this company.
    Angela G. Married on 06/02/2019

Amazing!! Definitely recommend!!

We recently got married at Cuvier Club and everything was beautiful and perfect!! The service was great, the food was great, and the venue was great, everything was phenomenal!! Our coordinator was Chuck Ferrante and he did the best job! He really outdid himself and went above and beyond for us!! We highly recommend the Cuvier Club!! Everyone who works there is wonderful and we especially loved Chuck!!
    Mar S. Married on 04/05/2019

Incredible Service and Venue

Petr and the Abbey team were absolutely incredible. When we first saw the venues and services offered, we did not think we would be able to afford it, but their prices are so competitive, especially when choosing the "all-inclusive" package. Having other vendors already associated with the venue made planning very easy. We live out of the country, and Petr and the vendors (Bill Rice photo, timecode media, DJ Big Willie Style) made it so easy to plan a wedding from abroad and were so accommodating to our schedules when we were in SD. We loved the Cuvier club, it was perfect for our cocktail hour and reception. Our guests loved the food and music. Best night ever!
    Cristina A. Married on 03/30/2019

Very organized and amazing experience!

Since we first booked them, Abbey’s staff has been so helpful and organized! Their food is amazing. Definitely could eat a plate of the beef wellington, and boneless short ribs over and over again! All our guests loved the food!
    Alex Married on 03/16/2019

Even the Stoic Russians were Happy

My wife and I just got married last weekend, and we're so happy that we had The Abbey as our caterer. I come from a large Russian family who, how do I say this...always complains about the food at events. There either isn't enough; it isn't good; it isn't Russian - you get the idea. That's why my wife and I were glad when we found out The Abbey could serve our food family style. The staff were all incredibly helpful throughout the planning process, and the food was absolutely delicious. For the first time in a long time, my large, Russian family was satiated and actually quiet. My wife and I strongly recommend anyone looking for a caterer (family style or otherwise) consider The Abbey.
  • Pam
    Pam Married on 01/05/2019

Absolutely amazing

BOOK! THE! ABBEY!

Our wedding was everything we had imagined and more because of The Abbey Catering & Event Design!!! When we started to plan our wedding, I stumbled upon their yelp reviews and it seemed too good to be true. But The Abbey truly is your “fairy godmother” and makes your dream wedding a reality. Everyone on their team who worked with us (Petr, Chuck, Kaycee, Megan L., Megan B, the bartender, tasting staff, and catering staff) goes above and beyond to make you feel like you are the only wedding they are planning. They make it look effortless even though planning a wedding with that many moving pieces, vendors, and changes is a huge undertaking. They respond quickly and make it their mission to exceed your expectations. They answered all our questions and listened to all of our ideas along the way. They were accommodating and happy to make changes and additions. Not only is their food presentation beautiful, but it’s absolutely delicious. We left our tasting wishing we could have selected every item! Our guests were complimenting us all night long on how beautiful the tables looked and how incredible the food was. From the tasting, to the table settings, to the food, to the staff, everything was absolutely PERFECT!

You’ll also be assigned a day of coordinator. We were assigned Petr and he is BEYOND incredible!!! There are not enough words to describe just how amazing he is. His attention to detail, his meticulous organization, his work ethic, and fantastic personality will leave you wishing he could be your day of coordinator for every event in your life. He made sure that everything ran smoothly before, during, and after the wedding. I even brought in some outside items (seating chart, table numbers, rose petals, and flower girl baskets) which Petr was happy to set up for me before the wedding started. He is determined to make sure your wedding is the BEST day of your life. Petr also makes sure the bride and groom are taken care of throughout the night with food and drinks!

We bought the all-inclusive package which included 5 vendors that they’ve worked with for years. I highly recommend each of the vendors below because they were all amazing! You can check their business pages for my individualized reviews!

Flowers: Adelaide’s (Craig and Mishele)

Cake: Flour Power

Videographer: Time Code Media (Tareq)

DJ: Sleeping Giant Music (Freddie and Mikey)

Hair & Makeup (Dana Boyle)

*Photography: Courtney Sargent Photography (She’s not a vendor who works with the Abbey. She is based in Phoenix, AZ. Her work is absolutely amazing and she is always willing to travel!)

This review and the words ‘thank you’ will never fully express our gratitude we have for The Abbey. They provided us with the most magical happily ever after!!
  • Tia
    Tia Married on 11/30/2018

Amazing food!!!

Abbey Catering Co. did such a wonderful job on our food for the reception. The appetizers were fresh and constantly being passed around during cocktail hour. When we were seated, a salad was waiting at our seat and then shortly after we receive ed our dual plated meal. For appetizers we had the Coconut Shrimp, Boardwalk Crab Cake, Spicy Soyrizo-Chevre Quesadilla, and Cream Cheese Wonton. For dinner we had Chili-Garlic rubbed Tri-Tip, Black Peppercorn Demi and the Panko-Herb Crusted Chicken Breast with gorgonzola cream sauce, veggies, and truffle mashed potatoes (sooooo delicious!) Also, our bartender for the wedding was SO GREAT!
    Brian Married on 11/10/2018
    Call Jesse at The Abbey catering. He gave us a wealth of information and helped us schedule tours. We went with a package, wedding is coming soon. I just had to post about how easy this was to plan a wedding!
    Christina Married on 07/08/2018
    Abbey Catering & Event Design Co were amazing. My husband and I are so happy we made the right choice to have our wedding here last month. After checking out several other venues, the Abbey seemed like they offered the most complete package at a reasonable price. We can not say enough about Chuck Ferrante, our wedding coordinator. From start to finish he helped piece together the wedding of our dreams. Chuck was very organized, friendly, patient and a great communicator. We received so many complements from our guests on the food and service. My husband is very frugal and struggled with the idea of tipping from the start, but after our beautiful day he gladly tipped above the average. Which is saying a lot for him lol.
    Nicole Married on 06/08/2018
    The Abbey & Chuck Ferrante helped create the wedding that we dreamed of. Everything from the beginning of planning was organized and on point. Their attention to detail is incredible, and they were always in communication with us. I honestly can say our day was above our expectations. I have already recommended The Abbey, and one of my bridesmaids is now using them! Thank you so much for making our day one to always remember!
    Cindi Married on 03/30/2018
    We lucked out when we found out that Abbey Catering was the La Jolla Cove Suites & Hotels exclusive caterer and it was one of the reasons why we chose our wonderful venue. Julie and Petr helped me take care of everything and wedding planning couldn't have been easier. We chose the All-Inclusive option and it was so simple to find and choose vendors for photography, videography, flowers, cake, photo booth and much more! Everything was coordinated through Petr, from the tastings to vendor arrivals and decorations...he did a wonderful job and was so fun! Petr was so responsive to our every need and answered all questions with the utmost patience! He served our delicious tasting and even that was so much fun! He made sure every moment of our wedding was perfect and took care of anything I wanted on the spot. I brought a lot of decorations and he set everything up just perfect and probably better than I would have, he has such an eye for detail. I am extremely glad I found Abbey Catering and Petr because we wouldn't have been able to pull off our wedding on our own. I would recommend them to anyone planning a wedding or event. They were amazing all around!