A Private Estate Reviews

A Private Estate 4
A Private Estate 5

Susan Juvelier · Getting married on 07/10/2020

A Magical Venue

Ripley went above and beyond to ensure that our experience at A Private Estate was magical. Jack, the property manager, put us at ease, even securing a metal detector to find an earring lost in the leaves. We felt completely comfortable and well cared for. We will never forget this enchanting experience!

Sent on 10/27/2019

A Private Estate's reply:

Susan, it was an absolute delight to host you and your family. Please come back and visit. We are open almost every day except major holidays.
  • Lauren

Lauren Skinner · Married on 10/05/2019

The perfect venue

If you are looking for a riverside venue, a barn, or just a beautiful location, A Private Estate is PERFECT! From the moment my husband and I first drove into the grounds we were in awe of the beauty this venue has to offer. This was the first and only place we toured when booking our wedding. We knew right away that we weren't going to find a more beautiful and perfect location. Ripley and Jack also made our decision making that much easier with their friendly and helpful personalities. The riverfront ceremony sight offers breathtaking views of the Hudson River, along with the new riverside cocktail hour location. Our guests were in complete awe of the beauty A Private Estate offers. The barn complex was the perfect layout for our buffet style dinner and dance floor for our band and 144 guests. Our wedding planning/prep was smooth and easy and everything was catered to our needs/wants. Our day was truly magical, and it was largely because of how amazing this venue is and how wonderful Ripley and Jack are to work with.

A Private Estate 6
    A Private Estate 11
    Sent on 10/30/2019

Meredith Kennedy · Married on 09/28/2019

Hudson Valley Perfection

We fell in love with A Private Estate as soon as we visited. The venue and views are stunning, and Ripley and Jack make a great team. They have a lot of experience hosting weddings and make you feel really comfortable throughout the planning process. And Jack does not rest until the job is done! He knows the venue inside and out and works so hard to make sure everything looks and feels perfect. We were fortunate enough to have a beautiful fall day and have gotten SO many compliments on the venue from our guests. If you're looking for a venue that is elegant, unique, and fun, this is it! I wish we could go back and do it all over again.

Sent on 10/28/2019

A Private Estate's reply:

We wish you could too! We so enjoyed your wedding. You two are an absolute delight. Wishing all best wishes!

Ripley and Jack
    PS Do let us know when your photos are ready as we love seeing them and reliving your special time here.
  • Meghan

Meghan · Married on 09/20/2019

Beautiful venue and thank goodness for jack!

Jack did everything possible to make my wedding day absolutely perfect in every way. He went above and beyond for me. Ripley’s property is absolutely breath taking and I still am getting told how beautiful my wedding was. The carriage house is so cozy and the barn, the view, everything was absolutely perfect. I am so happy I picked A Private Estate for my wedding. I will never be able to thank them enough for their time, dedication, and hard work to make all my wedding dreams come true.

Sent on 10/29/2019
  • Jason

Jason Kilby · Married on 09/14/2019

A totally professional and pleasurable experience from start to finish!

From the moment we discovered and viewed A Private Estate, we had no doubt that the spectacular venue was the place we wanted to spend our special day. That initial decisions was based on purely aesthetic first impressions, but the journey from that day to our actual wedding day, and the assistance and help given by the estate owner and the staff who work there, matched that same high standard.
    Ripley Hathaway, the owner, was consistently responsive and helpful wherever she could be along the initial viewing and into the booking process. It was a pleasure to get to know her and she had great guidance on vendors and all aspects of the wedding day experience, plenty of which we did not think of when we first started planning.
    As the day approached, Jack, the property manager, along with his team took as much of the potential stress away as they possibly could! Their positive and gracious attitude and damn hard work was both calming and just amazing.
    On a more practical side, much of the equipment required for the day was included in the overall price (i.e. ceremony & reception chairs). The ability to rent The Carriage House and the Cabin was incredibly useful and very reasonably priced. Our guests who stayed at these venues had only great things to say about them.
    The ceremony setting and cocktail hours on the banks of the Hudson is just unbeatable. The Barn for the reception was perfect and the 'al fresco' dance floor for the band and then all-night dancing was exactly what we wanted, envisioned, and A Private Estate delivered.
    I cannot recommend this venue and the people who run it highly enough. Our experience was beyond what we had hoped for - and we have high expectations :)

Sent on 09/18/2019

Clare Thomas · Married on 09/09/2019

A Perfect Place to have a perfect wedding and reception.

It is a breathtakingly beautiful spot to begin with overlooking the Hudson River towards the sunsetting over the Catskills. The owner and the caretaker are incredibly accommodating. There is a charming barn for smaller weddings or a rehearsal dinner. We held our Farewell Brunch in the barn. They have recently installed a flat grassy area for tents adjacent to the river. We highly recommend the venue.

Sent on 09/09/2019

Sylvia · Married on 05/26/2019

The Venue That Chose Us

When we were looking at venues one year before our Memorial Day Weekend wedding, we were torn between A Private Estate and another venue. These two venues were comparable in many ways, and we ended up choosing the other venue for what were, in retrospect, pretty trivial reasons. Flash-forward ten months and we learn that our chosen venue had broken some major laws and, long story short, could no longer host our wedding. I was a perfectionist bride who intensely researched everything (I don't even eat at a restaurant unless I approve of the yelp reviews) so to have this happen just two months before our wedding was soul-crushing. When this nightmare began, one of the first things I thought to do was to call A Private Estate to see if they were available and - miracle of miracles - our date was still open!!! A Private Estate is a true gem - a massive property with a variety of stunning landscapes for the ceremony, a carriage house renovated into a 4 bedroom 4 bathroom rental, and a rustic-chic barn complex for the reception- a perfect choice for brides seeking rural vintage vibes within driving distance of NYC. We were honestly shocked that they were still available. It took about ten days to pull out of the original venue and solve the domino effect of problems that arose with our vendors, and A Private Estate was incredibly empathetic, responsive and helpful to both us and our vendors every step of the way. During the wedding weekend, so many of our guests were absolutely blown away by the property, told us that ours was the best wedding they had ever been to and that they couldn't believe A Private Estate had been our second choice! We already knew that A Private Estate had chosen us and our guest's impressions confirmed that we were meant to be married there.

Ripley owns and lives on the property and handles the business side, and Jack is the manager that deals with everything technical. They are people with incredible integrity and are truly dedicated to bringing wedding dreams to life.
    Throughout the planning and particularly during the wedding weekend, we felt so well taken care of- Jack even came by our bridal suite with a ladder to get a bee out from the high ceilings of our bedroom! Ripley is a wedding industry expert- while she doesn't restrict you to a list of vendors, there are certain requirements that vendors have to meet in order to work at this unique property. The reason for these requirements is that they assure everything will go smoothly on the big day, which it absolutely did for us.

If you're looking for plethora of big green leaves or fall foliage against a backdrop of the Hudson River and Catskill Mountains; a rustic yet romantic barn complex in the middle of an enchanted forest; and a dedicated team of wedding professionals who have your back- look no further than A Private Estate.

Sent on 09/06/2019

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you for such a lovely review Sylvie. We pride ourselves on our integrity. It was a pleasure to host your wedding. For those unfamiliar with our property the reason we may have weekends available is that we purposely block out weekends throughout the season so that our staff can enjoy the time with their families. Every year we book someone who loses their venue. We were very happy we chose each other. Jack and I wish all the best to you both.

Emily · Married on 10/27/2018

I will never be able to fully put into words how special "A Private Estate" is.
    But I'll try!
    We chose the venue because it was beautiful, spacious, and mainly because we really got a great vibe from both Ripley and Jack. It was obvious from two tours that they took so much pride in what they did and expected as much from all the vendors who came on site. They recommended a wedding planner to us who was equally as amazing.
    The week of my late October, fully outdoor wedding, the weather said "nor'easter". I was absolutely devastated, in a way I never expected to be. I had no idea how the wedding was going to work... I feared early departures and disappointed (older! Floridian!) relatives. I cried all the way up to the venue, and as Jack was explaining the property to us, I started to cry again... my friends will never let me forget this! Now its funny...
    Jack didn't blink an eye. 10 minutes later he returned with firewood and two bottles of wine.
    My mom, who was also losing her mind at this point, and I walked down by the front of the house. We thought we wouldn't be able to use that part of the venue...
    Jack came over, and 30 minutes later I couldn't care less what the weather would bring. I knew that everything was going to be perfect. And it was.
    We poked around the barn as it was getting set up, asked another billion questions, and were just constantly reassured that everything would be great.
    "A Private Estate" is not a wedding factory pumping out events. It is so, so special.
    The entire weekend, the carriage house, felt so personal. My bridal party, my family, the groomsmen, all got to spend so much time together, crafting and bonding, getting ready the day of.
    The day of the wedding Jack worked so incredibly hard, in freezing rain and crazy wind, to pull off a wedding that every guest said was the best they'd ever been to. Despite the crazy, cold weather, we got to utilize every part of the venue, kept people warm, and Jack was still able to light the fire by the end of the night.
    A Private Estate is a beautiful Hudson Valley venue, but it is unique from all the others because of the care and hard work that goes into every detail. I can't imagine you'd find a venue more invested in each wedding they host than A Private Estate, or a person more compassionate and dedicated than Jack.
    This truly doesn't do the day of our wedding justice.
    Nor'easter and all, we wouldn't have changed a thing.

Sent on 12/09/2018

A Private Estate's reply:

You are so welcome. We care about every couple who books with us. We think about their wedding as if it was ours. Thank you Emily for capturing in words what we try for every wedding and hopefully achieve. Please come back and visit! All best wishes to you both as you continue your life together. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Ripley and Jack

Jen · Married on 09/29/2018

Excellent!

My husband and I recently got married at A Private Estate and our wedding day was nothing short of wonderful! Our search for the perfect venue was over the second we entered the property - from the secluded and private location, to the jaw dropping mountain views, and spacious two-story barn. Ripley (property owner) and Jack (property manager) were absolutely fabulous and extremely helpful throughout the process of planning our special day. Ripley always answered our e-mails in a timely manner and offered valuable assistance while planning. When we arrived the weekend of our wedding, Ripley and Jack were both readily available to us and helped us mitigate minor challenges, providing support and reassurance! Our guests thoroughly enjoyed the uniquely versatile space that A Private Estate has to offer and we will be forever grateful to Ripley and Jack!

A Private Estate 12
    Sent on 11/04/2018

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you so much for your review! Its what keeps us working hard for all our couples. Jack and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season with your families. Should you find yourself nearby please come back and visit. All best wishes to you both for this upcoming year and all those to come.

Alicia · Married on 08/04/2018

Best Venue/Staff Ever

Not only is the venue stunning, the staff is beyond helpful and cares deeply that the event is 100% perfect. I can't recommend this venue enough!

Sent on 12/05/2018

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you so much for this review. It was a delight to host your wedding. All best wishes to you both- Ripley and Jack.

Anna · Married on 07/14/2018

We had our wedding here in July 2018. We loved this venue from the minute we stepped on the property. The view from the front lawn is breathtaking and a perfect backdrop for our wedding. Even though we had some rain during our ceremony, Ripley and Jack handled everything like total pros. Also our guests loved the venue and have not stopped talking about it; the blend of nature, the historic estate, and the barn complex really provides you with an amazing day and experience. Also, Ripley truly loves the property and sharing it for weddings - you don't feel like you're in a venue trying to get couple in and out. You have no other properties in sight and you get the entire weekend to enjoy it. We highly recommend this venue - even the locals says it's the best view in the area! Ben & Anna

Sent on 07/28/2018

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you Anna. We love our couples and want everyone of them to have the best experience possible. Taking care of you and making your day the best it can be is our passion. All best wishes to you both!

Elizabeth · Married on 05/27/2018

We were so fortunate to find our way to A Private Estate.
    We hosted a large weekend long affair..
    The owner and property manager could not have been more helpful and gracious.
    The setting is gorgeous and there are so many ways to use the space.
    We have only happy memories from our time there !

Sent on 06/12/2018

A Private Estate's reply:

Elizabeth, It was a delight getting to know you and your family. We hope you will come back in the future and have time to really enjoy the grounds. All the best to you and the happy couple!

Phil · Married on 10/28/2017

The whole experience with this venue was a delight. They helped us out following another venue canceling at short notice and this worked out hugely in our favor. Ripley was a joy to work with and nothing was too much trouble for Jack and his team. The location was just perfect and has added hundreds of cherished memories to our life. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Highly recommended.

Sent on 11/13/2017

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you Phil. It was a pleasure to work with you and Charlotte. Jack and I wish you must happiness in the years to come.

Lia & Christian · Married on 09/16/2017

A Private Estate was the perfect setting for our wedding! We cannot thank Ripley and Jack enough for how beautiful they made the space and how amazingly accommodating they were to us in every way. The venue is magical and our wedding felt like a complete fairy tale! It is so wonderful to have multiple spaces for each part of the event: ceremony, cocktails, and reception. Every part of the estate is perfectly maintained. It was also so convenient to have the carriage house on site. We turned it into the bride headquarters, which was essential.

Thank you again Ripley and Jack. We are so grateful, we made memories that we will hold dear to our hearts forever at A Private Estate. -- L + C

Sent on 09/29/2017

Sean · Married on 09/09/2017

A Private Estate was the perfect venue for our wedding. We wanted a great outdoor space that was beautiful, well manicured and upscale but also wanted it to feel quaint. Needless to say A Private Estate hit it out of the park. Ripley and her team were there to cover everything, answer every question, give great suggestions and overall help execute the most memorable day ever. The carriage house was the perfect accommodation for us and our family and really made us feel at home as we got ready to walk down the aisle. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing or go with anyone venue. Highly recommended.

A Private Estate 13
    A Private Estate 14
    A Private Estate 15
    A Private Estate 16
    A Private Estate 17
    Sent on 09/30/2017

JP · Married on 09/09/2017

This is truly a magical venue. If you're looking for the perfect outdoor venue, stop reading this review and book A Private Estate right away! (No, seriously). This is a unique and beautiful property that gives you plenty of options to host your wedding. In our case, we had ceremony with a breathtaking view of the Hudson River. Cocktail hour up by the barn. And reception and dancing in the barn and patio. Everything was perfect. And not in a "this is a wonderful wedding venue" cliche kind of way. This does not feel like a traditional (cheesy) wedding venue, probably because it isn't. This is a sophisticated and beautiful property for you to have the wedding of your dreams. Ripley and her staff could not have been more wonderful and accommodating. What a pleasure to do business with them! In fact, a pleasure to get to know them and talk to them. They are warm, extremely helpful, and just really nice folks. You enjoy just talking to them. And Jack is a rockstar! He makes sure that everything is set up the way you want it-- in fact, he exceeded our expectations and made our vision come to fruition in a way we didn't think it was possible. Service was stellar, non-intrusive. Ripley and staff went above and beyond, they really did. All of our guests were in awe of such an inspiring venue and the exceptional service they all received. This was for sure a perfect wedding (again, not in a cheesy way). Everybody says that about their wedding, but this really was. Wedding was a month ago, and guests are still raving about the unforgettable experience. Thank you Ripley for allowing us to have such a memorable and important day at your property. We will forever be grateful.

Sent on 10/07/2017

A Private Estate's reply:

JP, thank you so much for this review. We really try to exceed everyone's expectations because we truly care about your happiness. Please come back and visit! The Carriage House is available to rent year round. All best wishes to you and Sean and your families.

Grace · Married on 06/10/2017

I could not have been happier to have our wedding with Ripley at A Private Estate. The day we first drove down her wooded drive was my favorite day in the whole wedding planning process. It was breathtaking and perfect from the first glance, and we connected with the owner, Ripley, and her groundskeeper, Jack, right away. They are amazingly kind and laid back, and make everything really clear and easy. Jack will go above and beyond to help you set up your day. But you really don't need to do much once you secure this place for your big day. It is so beautiful, it does all the work for you! The views are stunning, the grounds a beautiful to walk around. Everyone loved the swing hanging from a gorgeous old tree by the pond. And one of my favorite things was the camp fire they had on the lawn near the dance floor late at night. Family and friends could gather around it when they didn't feel like dancing, and still feel like they were part of the fun. I highly recommend using the carriage house on the property for family lodging. We did, and it was, likewise, really lovely and well kept, and so convenient for everyone staying there. I can't say enough good things about this place. Worth every penny!

Sent on 07/25/2017

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you Grace for such a lovely review. We truly enjoyed hosting you and your friends and family. Please come back for a visit if you are in the area. Jack and I wish you both every happiness in the years to come. Stay in touch!

Josh · Married on 05/20/2017

From the moment we first saw the venue, we knew it was where we needed to get married. From the first tour of the site with Jack to the ongoing interactions with Ripley to the bending over backwards Jack did for us on wedding weekend, everything was A++. It was incredible to have the carriage house and cabin rented as well and we highly recommend utilizing both if you're considering this venue. The setting for the ceremony by the pond and the barn/patio for the reception were perfect and was so convenient to have them in one location. Jack is the absolute best and it truly wouldn't have been as special without him there taking care of everything and making sure we didn't have anything to worry about.

Sent on 06/09/2017

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you so much Josh for the kind words. We wish you and Alex much happiness in the years to come. Do come back to visit if you are up our way. We would love to catch up. All the best!

Joy · Married on 10/29/2016

We recently got married at A Private Estate and it was the best decision we ever made. Aside from the venue being absolutely beautiful and unique, Ripley and Jack were super knowledgeable on all things wedding and extremely accommodating. I had no idea what I was doing, Ripley recommended a caterer, wedding planner, baker and florist that turned out to all be amazing. The cottage house that was included in the package was stunning, comfortable and really romantic. It was very convenient for me and my bridesmaids to get ready and walk a few steps to the isle, believe me that is worth a lot when there are so many moving parts. We had our ceremony right on the waterfront, my guests continue to rave about the property and the mesmerizing view from the lawn. We held our reception in the barn on the property which is very elegant and spacious, we even got to enjoy a bonfire on the back patio. The best part about A Private Estate is the ability to have any type of wedding from rustic to elegant, this venue can pull anything off and is affordable. Wedding planning can be very complicated and stressful but Ripley made it seamless with her list of preferred vendors and understanding demeanor. The photos on their site and Facebook page do it no justice, give the place a visit because you cannot capture the beauty of A Private Estate in a photo. I can continue to go on and on about my experience at A Private Estate and I'm probably leaving out a million more details about how Ripley and Jack made the most important day of my life perfect. I would recommend A Private Estate to any couple wanting to have a stress free and memorable wedding. Thank you Ripley and Jack!
    Chris & Joy Dominique

Sent on 11/29/2016

Rebecca · Married on 10/22/2016

A private estate was a wonderful location to have our wedding! Aside from being beautiful, it was a pleasure working with Ripley and Jack. Jack was so accommodating and helpful, helping us to ensure anything we wanted was taken care of, and keeping the site gorgeous and constantly improving (they even added an entire flagstone patio for a dance floor between the time we selected it and had our wedding). It rained all day and Jack and his staff helped to make sure that everything still ran smoothly. Highly recommend!

Sent on 11/13/2016

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you so much Rebecca for your enthusiastic review. We truly enjoyed hosting you and your now extended family! Jack and I cannot wait to see your photos. All the best for a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Alexandra · Married on 09/17/2016

A Private Estate is a magical place and we are so happy we decided to get married there this past September. The ability to have the ceremony and cocktail hour by the river and the reception at the barn was truly unique and our guests loved it. The owner Ripley and the property manager Jack are very responsive and super helpful - they were there all weekend and make sure everything went smoothly. I would also recommend renting the carriage house on the property. My family rented it and it was very special to be able to spend time on the property before and after the wedding, not to mention convenient on the day of. Overall - 5 stars!!

Sent on 10/17/2016

Jackie · Married on 09/17/2016

As parents of the bride we stayed in the cottage on the Estate. This was located beside the venue. The cottage was well equipped, clean and accommodated 8 adults and 4 young children. The master bedroom was a perfect room for bridal preparations on the day of the wedding.
    The owner of "A Private Estate", Ripley Hathaway, and her property manger, Jack, were extremely helpful during our stay and their attention to the smallest detail was truly amazing. Ripley was changing hand towels in the bathroom during the evening.
    All the sub-contractors were very efficient and pleasant to work with. The actual wedding and venue met and exceeded our expectations.

Sent on 10/17/2016

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you so much for the glowing review. We do hope we will see you if you return to the Northeast. Its pretty magical here in winter too!. All best wishes to you and your family.
  • Genette

Genette · Married on 09/10/2016

The venue for a flawless and memorable wedding

On the banks of the Hudson River, A Private Estate is a secluded venue where lush greenery and the Catskill Mountains provide a stunning backdrop for your wedding.

As a wedding planner/coordinator, I can attest to the fact that the team at A Private Estate is professional and well coordinated. They will flawlessly execute your unique wedding vision while at the same time providing you with excellent customer service. Planning a wedding is complicated...this is the venue to book if you want one LESS thing to worry about. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

A Private Estate 18
    Sent on 10/14/2019
  • Melissa

Melissa · Married on 07/30/2016

I was married at A Private Estate on July 30, 2016 and I could not have been happier with our choice of venue. I live only five minutes north of the estate, yet the entire weekend I felt as if we were at some beautiful, remote location.
    The grounds of the estate are extensive and meticulously maintained that no matter where on the property you choose to have the ceremony, it will be stunning. The barn on the property is a fantastic space to hold the reception; it can be as romantic or casual as you choose to make it. We fit 120 guests comfortably in the barn and on the barn’s porch for dinner, with dancing on the patio. The flow of the reception space was ideal; as it was in no way congested yet concentrated enough that no one felt as if they missed anything.
    Jack, the caretaker of A Private Estate, will go above and beyond to make your day go off without a hitch. When rain unexpectedly made an appearance at our wedding, Jack was able to secure a tent for us within hours of our reception…no easy feat! Ripley and Jack are a great team, whom offer resources and make themselves accessible to you in order for your day to be as wonderful as possible.
    My only complaint would be that my wedding went by all too quickly. Thank you Ripley and Jack for such a magical wedding, it was more than I had ever envisioned!

Sent on 08/29/2016

Dear Melissa,

Thank you for the compliments. We too felt your magical wedding went by too fast. Thank you again for choosing us. We wish you and Justin many years of happiness.

Ripley

Alix · Married on 06/25/2016

A Private Estate was truly spectacular in every single way. We lucked out beyond belief to be able to get married at such a magnificent venue. Ripley treated us phenomenally and shared in our joy while also making sure everything ran smoothly. Jack also did so much all weekend and made us feel so welcomed on the property that he maintains so well. Everything about the property was magical. It is also such a good value for having the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception feel like completely different settings even though they are all within a three minute walk. All in all, A Private Estate played a huge role in making our wedding the best weekend of our lives.

Sent on 07/24/2016

A Private Estate's reply:

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We enjoyed hosting your wedding. Please feel free to come back for a visit. With all best wishes for much happiness in the years to come. - Ripley