Kruger National Park Honeymoons
If you’re looking for a destination where you can be awe-struck by wildlife, indulged by lodges and relaxed by spas, Kruger National Park is the honeymoon choice for you.
Kruger National Park Honeymoon
For a once in a lifetime experience, take your honeymoon in Kruger National Park. It’s Africa’s largest game reserve and is almost the same size as Belgium! It’s abundant in wildlife with over 12,000 elephants, 1000 leopards and 18,000 zebra! It’s also home to the Big Five; lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, and water buffalo. You can stay in anything from basic tents to luxury safari lodges with private pools and excellent dining. You’ll be getting up early for your first game drive before the animals take shelter from the midday sun and then back to your accommodation for a bush walk or time spent relaxing around the pool. In the evening, take in another game drive or have dinner under the stars as you marvel at some of the clearest skies in the world. Visitors can also golf, mountain bike and relax at world class spas during their stay making Kruger a great destination for a honeymoon with a perfect mix of activity, relaxation and awesome wildlife.
Learn more about all this area has to offer in our Kruger National Park honeymoon guide.
When to Go
May to September is the winter in Kruger which means it can be a bit cooler but it also offers the best time for viewing animals. June to August can be chilly whilst May and September offer a little more warmth but more humidity. July and August are also expensive due to school holidays. October to April is the summer season when the weather can be very hot and humid. You’ll get the chance to see baby animals and bird watching is excellent but there is a low malaria risk to consider. Christmas is very busy with crowds and high prices.
Top Sights and Activities
- Sweni Wilderness Trail: The easiest of seven trails in the park, this two day hike offers a different experience as you get up close and personal with zebras, hippos and buffalo before cooking dinner around a campfire and sleeping under the stars
- Kapama Private Game Reserve: Located just outside of Kruger, this fantastic reserve offers impeccable service and four different accommodations offering luxury, ensuite tents and private, designer suites with private pools
- Olifants River Back Pack Trail: If you’re feeling adventurous, pack up your bag before setting off on this four day hike through the wilderness to really be at one with nature
- Royal Malewane: Often booked a year in advance, a stay at one of these eight suites promises exquisite dining, a superb spa, opulent bedrooms and expert game trackers
- Thulamela Ruins: Explore this ancient kingdom that has been around for 500 years and was once an important trading town for iron ore, ivory and gold
- Stay in a Treehouse at Lion Sands: Disconnect from the world and spend a night under the millions of stars in your four-poster bed on a high platform looking over the watering hole and bush
- Singita Boulders Lodge: Located on the nearby Sabi Sands private game reserve, this is safari in sheer luxury. Private pools, air-conditioning, outdoor showers, fireplaces and your own private deck to spot animals from.
- Elephant Safari: For an experience you will never forget, take a helicopter to Hazyview and land next to the elephant’s watering hole where a glass of champagne will be waiting for you. Then head out on safari on the back of these gentle giants for a truly unique perspective
- Jock Safari Lodge: Located in the heart of Kruger, this luxury safari lodge has experts guides, decadent accommodation and is close to Leopard Creek golf course
- Moholohol Rehabilitation Centre: Take a trip to this animal sanctuary for the chance to interact with orphaned and injured animals and learn more about the cheetah breeding program
- Hot Air Balloon Flight: Take the flight from Hazyview and drift over valleys, orchards and bush
Get access to travel deals when you book your honeymoon through WeddingWire