The Root Room at Oberlin College

• Melendez Catering Services, LLC

2 Reviews for The Root Room at Oberlin College

Polly · Married on 06/17/2017

3.5

The Oberlin staff has been wonderful...the site is beautiful and is very affordable! The staff are kind and flexible to what each couple wants. My only issue is they are slightly slow in responding to emails, but I've been able to contact them as needed.

Sent on 03/14/2017

Kendra · Married on 07/31/2005

3.2
      3.5
      3.0

Our wedding reception was held in the Root Room in Oberlin College's Carnegie Hall.

The room itself is bright and beautiful. It is a refreshing change from the usual reception site (think: dank hotel ballroom with gawdy chandeliers). The Root Room features two walls of large windows which provide a beautiful panoramic overlook of the town square of Oberlin. The dance floor is quite expansive.

The catering staff was extremely accommodating. They took my husband and I step-by-step through the menu planning process. Their suggestions for how to pace the food service was perfect! While they did not offer us a tasting, I was not disappointed with any of our choices and we received many compliments from our guests on the food.

I am sad to report that the facilities management for the hall was less than hospitable. The day that the tables and chairs were being set up, we found glitter and stains over many of the chairs. Upon asking for them to be swapped out (who wants their Grandma to have glitter booty at the wedding?), the facilities managers became very gruff, indicating that their shifts were almost up and they couldn't help us. I was left to swap out chairs by myself. Additionally, some of the instructions we left for the facilities managers for moving tables (i.e. the cake table off the dance floor) were not heeded and there was no point person for us on the day of the wedding other than the caterers.

I would highly recommend this venue to anyone in the Cleveland area, but with a word of caution about the facilities management.

Sent on 11/04/2007

• Oberlin, 44074 See on map
    (Phone number)
    Location of (The Root Room at Oberlin College)