Portland, OR 97214 Map · Phone number
  • Photos
  • Deals 2

About Scott McNamara Photography

Its amazing to think about what happens during a heartbeat. Your life can change in that split moment of time. A first kiss...a paused proposal...a vow.

My work captures life...one shutter click..or heartbeat at a time in an approach known as freestyle photography.

What is freestyle? Freestyle is an open, boundary-less approach to wedding photography. As a freestyle photographer, I will combine the best elements of photojournalism, traditional, fine art and abstract styles. This will provide you with rich, varying, and truly unique images of the most important day of your life.

Freestyle even applies to the digital post-processing work I will do to your images after your wedding day. I will combine textures, vintage treatments, and other style elements that will further lend to the raw beauty and tell the story of your wedding day.

My work has been featured by the Associated Press, Anchorage Daily News, Yonhap News Agency, USA Today, and the Juneau Empire.

I am a member of Wedding and Portrait Photographers International (WPPI).

Follow Scott McNamara Photography on

20 Reviews for Scott McNamara Photography

Emily · Married on 07/23/2016

Hire this guy! It's always a risk booking a wedding vendor for your big day. A photographer, in our opinion, is one of the most important and risky decisions to make when investing your money. The product they produce will be with you for a lifetime, unlike an underwhelming meal from a caterer or a dry piece of wedding cake. You can eliminate the "risk factor" if Scott is your photographer. Trust us, this guy knows what he's doing. Working with Scott was a treat, and this is coming from two people who don't particularly enjoy being photographed. We always felt comfortable and laid back with him, and the photos that came out the other end were phenomenal! Even his "worst" photos are still frame-able and something an amateur would be thrilled with. He was very easy to communicate with during the planning process, and was the perfect blend of assertive and fly-on-the-wall during the wedding day. We had many guests after the wedding tell us "You had a great photographer!" even before they saw the photos. You could just tell he was tirelessly working his magic the whole day -- capturing the little shots and artsy angles that we wouldn't think to photograph. We are so thankful to have a wonderful collection of images to look back on to remember our wedding for years and years to come. Like we said -- hire this guy!

Sent on 09/05/2016

Scott McNamara Photography's reply:

Emily - Thanks so much for the glowing review! You guys made my job easy :) As always I appreciate the opportunity and hope you guys enjoy the images for years to come.

Shannon · Married on 09/08/2012

My husband and I found Scott by chance. We Google searched Trash The Dress Portland Oregon and he was the first to pull up. We had been looking for a wedding photographer for quite some time and knew it was what we wanted to lay the money down for. Pictures last forever so it was important to us that this be a photographer who would capture us as a couple in our true form not staged or posed like every other wedding photo. After meeting with Scott we knew he was the one the second he told us he used to be a wildlife photographer and had never shot an indoor wedding. It was a perfect match to our laid back life-style and our camp wedding. Not to mention the first photographer we could agree on, after looking at his pictures hands down he took the cake. My husband is in the creative biz as well and is VERY picky. VERY!
    Scott was wonderful to work with, easy to get along with and quickly made himself a friend. He's very passionate about what he does and easily makes you feel comfortable with him. He captured our wedding perfectly and caught priceless moments that shouldn't be forgotten. When he showed us our wedding video there was a clip of me on the phone with my grandmother who passed away the day after our wedding. In all the hustle and bustle I thought I had forgotten to call her. It brought me to my knees to see me tell her one last time that I loved her and I'll have that forever.
    Scott captured our engagement photos, wedding photos, and trash the dress. All of them turned out AWESOME! We were very happy with his work and with the awesome table topper book he provides that is specially made in Italy for you.

Sent on 03/26/2013

Scott McNamara Photography's reply:

Thanks Shannon. Your wedding was AMAZING and will remain one of my faves. So glad to hear I captured your last conversation with your grandmother. THAT is why I love what I do - capturing moments like that so you can relive them forever. Thanks so much!!

Pamela · Married on 10/29/2011

Scott is Incredible! He is friendly, considerate, profession - and his work is unlike anything else I've seen. It is artistic and so beautiful. His passion for photography is clearly visible in every photo he takes. He used the scenery to set the stage and really captured the essence of us in the images and told the story of our day through them.

The day after the wedding, we set out with Scott on a “Trash the Dress” photo shoot. I cannot recommend this enough – we road tripped all the way down the Florida Keys and back – stopping along the way to take some shots. We took photos everywhere from an abandoned construction project covered in graffiti to a lone mangrove tree on the edge of the ocean. The backdrops were outstanding and we look so amazing set in them.

We began the weekend as clients/vendor, but we absolutely parted ways as friends. Hire Scott McNamara for your wedding – you will not be disappointed. He is so talented and such a great guy. He really is the best you can find!

Sent on 11/15/2011

Scott McNamara Photography's reply:

Hey Pam! Thanks again for the opportunity to be a part of your beautiful wedding. We did part as friends and look forward to you guys visiting in Portland soon!!

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

2 Wedding Deals & Discounts

• Scott McNamara Photography 1
    Free Trash the dress and Alternative Shoots!
    Book your wedding program and receive one free shoot - Trash the Dress, bridals, alternatives, you name it!
  • Scott McNamara Photography 2
    Military members discount
    All full-time, active duty military families can receive 10% off photography services!

• Vitalic Photo
    Vitalic Photo Wedding Photographers

We definitely endorse Scott McNamara! He is very enthusiastic about photography and is always thinking out of the box. Scott has actually co-shot a few weddings with us when he lived in Florida and he was great to work with. We miss him over here on the east coast, but know he'll do great in Portland!