115 Beaulieu Bend, Savannah, GA 31406 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 28

About Hammer Dulcimer Weddings - HammerJam Productions

Hi, I’m Jim McGaw. I live in Savannah, Georgia, one of the most beautiful cities on the east coast. I have enjoyed playing the hammer dulcimer (and other instruments) all around the southeast for more than 40 years. During that time in addition to playing this unique instrument for period reenactments and special events I have been playing for wedding ceremonies, rehearsal dinners and receptions. I admit that because of the joy and warmth experienced in planning for and taking part in weddings these are my favorite events.

The hammer dulcimer, the direct forerunner of the modern piano, is a trapezoid shaped instrument played with small mallets producing a sound which compares to a cross between guitar and grand harp. In addition to being unusually visually attractive, the sound of the instrument is pleasantly appealing and perfectly suited for an acoustic setting. Because of its broad dynamic characteristics it can be played loudly enough to be heard in large rooms and church environments or augmented electronically.

I take great pride in preparing and planning for the weddings in which I play. I work with the bride and groom and their families to ensure that their special moment is perfect and that my part in it gives the greatest enjoyment for all present with the least stress possible. I would like very much to discuss your wedding plans with you at any time. Please give me a call or notify me and let’s get started on your special day.

Follow Hammer Dulcimer Weddings - HammerJam Productions on

swann inn 96 national historic site 2105
jim playing at york wedding
Classical, Celtic, Folk or Jazz Standards on the hammer dulcimer
Jim plays the Jerry Reed Smith Grande Concertmaster Chromatic or Rizzetta Griggs Model hammer...
The face that lunched a thousand shrimps!
The face that lunched a thousand shrimps!
My original compositions are in high demand for performances and wedding ceremony music.
Jim on stage with the Ohio Valley Summer Theater group.
Jim on stage with the Ohio Valley Summer Theater group.
Peek! Being in tune is pretty important with so many strings.
Peek! Being in tune is pretty important with so many strings.
Playing for a wedding in Tifton, Georgia.
Playing for a wedding in Tifton, Georgia.
Yes, I can play all of these - but not at the same time.
Yes, I can play all of these - but not at the same time.
I love to play the 6 and 12 string acoustic, electric and classical guitars in addition to the...
natl historic site photo april 2015
jim playing at york wedding

• Videos 8

5 Reviews for Hammer Dulcimer Weddings - HammerJam Productions

rebecca · Married on 04/02/2017

We are so glad that we chose Mr. McGaw to play at my daughter's wedding. The dulcimer music was such a beautiful addition to the tiny, historic church ceremony. It was so beautiful and sweet. I wish I had more time just to sit and listen to the the music. Jim is very flexible and came very early and set up, played for the rehearsal and the wedding and then afterwards a little for the processional and pictures. He was very responsive to my calls and emails and we set up a playlist together and he performed beautifully, I would definitely recommend him.

Sent on 04/10/2017

Sarah · Married on 07/25/2015

I am so glad we found Jim to play the dulcimer for our wedding ceremony. All our guests raved about it - I wish I was able to be there to hear more of it before and after the ceremony because it was an absolutely beautiful instrument. Jim was extremely responsive by phone and by email during planning. He was also very professional. He went above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect. He learned a new song that I requested for my walk down the aisle and emailed me samples as he learned it to make sure I liked the way it sounded. He also sent other samples of songs that he would play as guests entered and left the ceremony space.
    He even attended our rehearsal, so we were able to practice walking in to the music and work out the timing of what would be playing as everyone entered. He really went above and beyond and I can not say enough how glad we were that we decided to ask him to be part of our wedding day - one of the best decisions we made throughout the whole planning process.

Sent on 08/11/2015

Jim was an amazing asset to our ceremony. He was able to take my vision if what I wanted to hear and make it a reality. Our wedding ceremony was located on a savannah square downtown and we wanted music that captured the beauty of the location and created a author charm mood. I fell in love with the sound of the dulcimer years ago with its Celtic origins. Even though I was not familiar with the names of the songs he was able to name the ones I was looking for. Very professional, flexible in meeting my demands and a joy to work with as his quality was superb.
    Thank you Jim for helping our day be even more special.

Sent on 10/18/2014

Hammer Dulcimer Weddings - HammerJam Productions FAQ

• What is the starting price for wedding ceremony music? $ 285.00
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 495.00
  • Which of the following are included in the price of your most popular wedding package? Ceremony Music, Learn New Songs, Microphones, Reception Music, Sound/PA System
  • What ceremony music arrangements can you provide? Instrumental - Solo, Instrumental - Duo
  • How many musicians are in your band(s)? 1 - 3
  • What instruments does your group play? Guitar
  • What services do you provide? Ceremony Music, Learn New Songs, Music During Breaks, Rehearsal Dinner Music, Sound/PA System, Vocals

• Gazebo Weddings of Savannah
    Gazebo Weddings of Savannah Historic Weddings

We highly endorse Jim McGaw for a lovely addition to your wedding ceremony! He has played professionally for years and has a wealth of experience. His music, whether it be hammered dulcimer or guitar is an excellent addition to complement your Savannah wedding! Cyndy and Rudy LoMonaco Gazebo Weddings of Savannah

• 115 Beaulieu Bend Savannah, GA, 31406 See on map