Bayview Road, Shady Side, MD 20764 Map · Phone number

About Father Charles Schmitt

A native of Baltimore and the oldest of 5 boys, after graduating from Archbishop Curley High School, I entered the Conventual Franciscan Order and was ordained a priest in 1981. My education includes a BA in Scholastic Philosophy and a Masters of Divinity. I also have architectural training from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and was involved with Albany Diocesan Architectural Commission and designed, managed and executed various building projects throughout my years as a Franciscan. While in Theology, I was also certified in Clinical Pastoral Education.

Upon ordination, I returned to my high school as a math teacher and later became the chairman of the department. I was then assigned to the Franciscan seminary in Massachusetts as the Treasurer and Business Manager; I also taught math and Latin in the college.

While in Massachusetts , I came to the decision to leave the community after 18 years of religious life. The reasons were complex; but in a nutshell, I was unhappy living in an all male community, with all the associated inter-personal dynamics and political posturing. I have always been very idealistic and found that there were many things that were contrary to my beliefs.

I came back to the Baltimore area and entered the Custom Home building field in Bethany Beach, DE. After several years, and after I met my wife, I started my own remodeling business in Columbia, The Home Healer, still going strong after 25 years -both the business and the marriage!

Although my background and approach toward wedding ceremonies is that of a Catholic priest, I fully believe that the day is yours. I have witnessed many inter-faith, multicultural, same-sex weddings along with more traditional ceremonies, and always work with you to create a ceremony specific to your needs and dreams. I like to meet with couples several times prior to the ceremony  to get to know one another, discuss any issues that may exist and craft the ceremony together. My wife Mallory also gets involved with writing the ceremony and helps with the rehearsal and ceremony as needed.

As a member of CITI Ministries, a group of married Catholic priests, I have authority to officiate weddings and have performed ceremonies in Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia and Pennsylvania. Travel to destination or distant locations is also an option.

Other couples have also viewed

img2210
img0899

18 Reviews for Father Charles Schmitt

Christopher T. · Married on 02/11/2021

Excellence and Care

Father Charles and his wife Mallory made sure that our wedding was customized to our beliefs and wants. They helped us develop a ceremony that was religious and not at the same time. From the first virtual meeting to our wedding, care and attentiveness was at the forefront of everything they did. Father Charles fits in a unique niche between religious figurehead and a generic wedding officiant. With his help and guidance, he made our special day an event that was all exclusive and fun. Thank you Father Charles and Mallory for everything.

Sent on 11/16/2020
  • Jim

Jim M. · Married on 10/18/2019

Catholic Ceremony for outside the church

Father Charles was a perfect fit for us. We were looking for a ceremony that reflected our Catholic backgrounds, even if we don’t necessarily practice as much as we used to. Father Charles and his wife Mallory were very accommodating towards crafting a ceremony to meet our desires. He also hosts a few “pre-Cana” sessions which helped for us to communicate some relationship concerns together as a couple. On the day of the ceremony, both Father Charles and Mallory helped a great deal towards easing our nerves, and were able to fit into our reception as though they were old family friends. Highly recommended.

Sent on 11/23/2019
  • Aaron

Aaron · Married on 10/27/2018

Thank you, Father Charlie!

My wife is Catholic and I am not, so Charlie was the perfect choice for us. Our ceremony was tailored around the Catholic traditions but also had a secular spin. Our Pre-Cana conversations were easy and helpful, Charlie got to know us and we reaffirmed what we love in each other. Charlie's wife Mallory was a huge help as well. From our first contact via email to walking back up the aisle as husband and wife we are so happy Father Charlie was our officiant.

Sent on 03/02/2019

Father Charles Schmitt FAQ

• Does starting price include the ceremony rehearsal?
  • What types of weddings and events do you provide services for?
    Interfaith
    Ceremony Rehearsal
    Vow Renewal
    Civil Union
    Single Religion
  • What religious affiliations do you serve?
    Catholic
  • On average, how long are wedding ceremonies you officiate?
    Less than 30 mins.
  • In which states are you licensed?
    DE
    DC
    MD
    PA

• Rev. Stephen Stahley Wedding Officiants

Father Charles is a wonderful priest with long pastoral experience and a generous heart. Getting to know him has enriched my life greatly and helped me in countless way. With his lovely wife, Mallory, Father Charles has done an excellent job in working with couples to prepare them for marriage. The wedding ceremonies he performs are always deeply personal and rich with spiritual significance. As a fellow married priest, I consider myself fortunate to have Father Charles as a friend. His wisdom, sense of humor, and theological insights have been true gifts to me. I have referred many engaged couples to him and will continue to do so in the future. Father Stephen Stahley

• Bayview Road Shady Side, MD, 20764 See on map
    Location of (Father Charles Schmitt)