The Commons 1854

Value
Flexibility
Ryon & Kim
07/12/2015

From the first day we stepped into the Commons, we fell in love with the venue. Both the interior and exterior are gorgeous (and the interior has since been renovated to be even prettier). But what really sets the venue apart is that they straight-up LOVE making weddings as special as they can for the bride and groom. Every detail is managed to perfection. Kristi and Johanna were always available to answer our questions and guide us along. They have a strong list of vendors they have worked with and are able to recommend. And their team is as professional as it gets. The entire day went so smoothly thanks to them.

And the food... The food at the Commons is amazing! The meals that they provide are absolutely delicious!

If you go with the Commons you will get an incredible package that will make your wedding extremely memorable.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

I cannot say enough good things about the Topsfield Commons. From the moment we walked through the door we knew this was where we wanted to have our wedding. Kristi, who we met with first, was so kind and inviting. She made us feel right at home. Many of the other places we visited were not that friendly and the Commons just instantly felt different. Johanna, our coordinator, was nothing short of amazing. She was also responsive and thorough and made sure we had everything we needed as we planned for our big day. She and Kristi were also super helpful and flexible when we had to change our wedding date. They made what we thought would be a stressful endeavor very easy. The day of our wedding could have been more perfect. Literally, nothing went wrong. Johanna kept everything on schedule and organized all of the other vendors so well. Many people commented on how well she kept things going. The food was absolutely amazing. We have received so many compliments on that as well as the great service from all of the staff serving us that day. It's also has a gorgeous space. We also received many compliments on the uniqueness of the beauty of the space - both inside and out. It's versatile so you can have a lovely experience either inside or outside. I also found that the Commons was reasonably priced compared to other venues which really allowed us to do all the things we wanted within our budget. I still can't believe how smoothly everything went. We were able to enjoy every minute and I think that is a testament to the great organization and quality provided by Kristi, Johanna and the entire team. I would highly recommend the Commons to anyone! You will not be disappointed. In fact, your expectations will very likely be exceeded.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This is a great venue. We would definitely recommend it. We only heard great things from our guests about our wedding. The food was amazing. Kristi was great to work with and definitely made all the planning seamless.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Picking The Commons 1854 as our wedding venue was the best and easiest decision we made in the wedding planning process. The actual venue is a gorgeous. It has a classic, elegant and slightly Parisian feel without being too dramatic. But also feels very historic and New England at the same time. The first floor/cocktail hour space was redone this year into a very open, bright and beautiful area with white marble floors, gorgeous chandeliers and modern furniture. I also can't say enough about the garden ceremony space. It is simple and romantic and makes for the best pictures! What truly made this venue worth it though, was the staff. Johanna was our wedding day coordinator who absolutely went above and beyond to make the day everything we dreamed of. Her attention to detail was unbelievable, everything from making sure wedding party and special guests were where they needed to be to passing out mints to the wedding party before we entered reception. Our guests couldn't stop talking about how good the food was, how they felt taken care of, and how on point the entire staff was. All food was served to all tables at the same time. I honestly don't know how they do it. Kristi and Frank, the owners make you feel so welcome and like you are their only client. I also urge brides to follow their recommended vendors list as well. They have great options which do not disappoint. From their list we used, Rick Perry as the officiant, Jimmie Espo from 617 Weddings for Music, Lighting and Video (amazing!) and Topsfield Bakeshop for cake and dessert. The Commons by far is the best wedding venue on the North shore, and you truly cannot go wrong by picking this venue for the most memorable day of your life! We highly recommend Johanna and the entire team at the Commons!

Recently Married

My wedding was everything beyond my expectations. From the moment my fiancé and I looked at the venue, we knew it was meant to be! I love that they only do one wedding a day and they weren't trying to sell us like other places we had looked at. Throughout the whole planning process the team here was super responsive to my e-mails and very prompt. The preferred wedding venues that they recommend are also top notch! I wish every wedding I go to in the future will be held here. I will totally recommend this venue to everyone that is looking. Also, now that were back from our honeymoon I am amazed at how many compliments we're getting on how amazing the night was as well as the food.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

There are not enough wonderful words in the world to describe our experience with The Commons. I knew from the day we signed our contract that our needs would be met but never could have dreamed about how much they'd be exceeded. The venue was absolutely beautiful... think Old New England meets elegance. Countless guests have told us that it was the best food and service they've ever experienced at a wedding. As one guest put it, "I felt like I never saw staff standing around but the second I needed something, someone right there. As a guest I received better service than I did on my own wedding day when I was the bride." We had 130 guests at our reception. We fit perfectly in the reception room and there was plenty of room for dancing. We could have easily fit another 40 guests in the balcony if we had a larger crowd so the flexibility of having this extra space is nice! Throughout our wedding planning, our number one priority was to know that our guests were going to have a good time. We never had to worry once throughout the entire evening. Every time I took a step back to look through the room I saw everyone enjoying themselves. My elderly relatives were well taken care of, they were brought food and drinks while they sat during cocktail hour. They were escorted up the chair lift without missing a thing. It was so nice to know they were well taken care of without my parents having to worry about it. Kristi was our coordinator at the reception and she is an absolute dream to work with! Although I am sure they are juggling planning many events throughout the year, she made me feel like my wedding was always a priority to her. She responded quickly to my emails, was on time for all appointments and was there throughout the entire reception. I could go on forever about the millions of reasons I would recommend The Commons, but rather I suggest you just head over there and take a look for yourself. I am confident you will not regret it!!

1 person found this review helpful
Recently Married

Kristi, Johanna and their team were flawless. From the time we set foot in The Commons 1854, we knew it was the place for us to celebrate our special day. Johanna was our contact from beginning until post-wedding and I can't say enough about her helpfulness, attention to detail and overwhelming feeling that you're her only client (even though we knew we certainly weren't!) She makes you feel comfortable during planning, reminds you of details you may have missed and provides gentle guidance from her experience. For example, we were thinking of a doing a photo booth, but after reviewing the floor plan and listening to guidance from Johanna, we decided against it and it was the best decision. The dance floor was packed the entire night because no one was distracted at a photo booth.

In addition, the day of the wedding my wife and I truly had no worries. We had MANY compliments how everything went off without a hitch and how delicious the food was! Johanna's main concern was that my wife and I had everything we needed - which we did and more! At one point, my wife accidentally stepped on my dress and it tore the bustle out, before I knew it, Johanna had a needle and thread and was literally sewing my bustle back together. She and her staff are what truly made our wedding the best day - and best party - of our lives! Do yourself a favor and book with The Commons 1854 - you won't regret it.

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake, Wedding Planning

I would recommend having your wedding at the Commons to everyone. Their staff made our wedding day picture perfect. To start, the food is phenomenal! They had so many options to choose from and everything we picked was delicious, especially the filet! The staff couldn't have been any nicer or attentive. We had Johanna as a wedding coordinator and she was unbelievable. She is part of the reason why our day went perfectly. She was so friendly and responsive whenever we had questions leading up to our wedding day and couldn't have been more on point on the actual day. The venue is beautiful and our 125 guests fit wonderfully. We obviously loved our day, but our guests were clearly having a great time too - many of them said it was one of the best weddings they had been to! We can't imagine using another venue for our wedding and highly recommend The Commons 1854!

Erin
05/08/2015

From the moment we saw the Commons and met with the wedding coordinator to the night of our wedding we were so happy with our decision. Our wedding was at Topsfield Commons just two weeks ago. After meeting with Maura, Kristie and Johanna we confirmed our need to get married there. We mainly worked with Johanna Esposito, the General Manager and she did not miss a beat and was so enjoyable to work with. The entire staff was amazing, so friendly and attentive to us and our guests. We would highly recommend the Topsfield Commons for a variety of reasons including their responsiveness, organization, professionalism and quality of service. The food was amazing and our guests are still raving about it. The ambiance was remarkable, we are so lucky to have shared our wedding with our family and friends at the Commons.

We highly recommend The Commons to host your special day. It was truly everything that we could have hoped for and much much more!

Amanda
05/01/2015

The Commons 1854 was the perfect place for our dream wedding. We wanted timeless elegance and romance and it is BEYOND BEAUTIFUL inside! Not to mention the owners/coordinators love what they do and do it perfectly! Everything was flawless and they made the day so easy for us! People loved the food and the gorgeous setting. My bridesmaids all wanted to hire Johanna for their wedding because she was on top of everything and there was nothing she couldn't do!!! Thank you so much!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Christopher
04/25/2015

The Commons was the perfect place to invite our 125 family members and friends to celebrate our wedding. They made that day in April the happiest in our mind! Our wedding coordinator provided by The Commons was Johanna Esposito, and throughout the year before our wedding, she went above and beyond in explaining the whole process. She recommended vendors, and gave us good ideas in organizing our wedding. She gave us a good schedule to keep. Basically, she was our de-facto wedding planner. She was always there and would respond to e-mails even at midnight! We were lucky to have Johanna be our second eyes planning the wedding!

The venue's professionalism was so evident in all aspects. After the crazy winter the Boston area had in 2015, the venue could have just given up on its appearance a little for an April wedding. But no, Rob and Kristi renovated the place, and fixed things as they came. Our party and the chandeliers made us think of Beauty and the Beast a little! Also, even when we mistakenly forgot to order peach schnapps for our signature drink, they got them for us! During the wedding, when the bride was stressed and needed water or a snack or a coffee Rosie was there to help us! All in all, the whole crew was there every step of the way. And all we can say is that they care!

The Commons offers a lot of things in their packages, and lots of additional options. So, as we planned our wedding and kept making changes, they were very flexible. They let us even do a last minute change to some lighting fixtures the week of the wedding. As far as prices, the venue offers reduced rates for Friday and Sunday receptions....and they offer a reduced rate in November-April dates. So we think if things are tight in terms of budget, The Commons can still become affordable. At the end of the day, while there are cheaper venues out there, in our opinion The Commons delivered in our wedding, and gave the best bang for the buck!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Lighting & Decor, Unique Services (Other), Wedding Planning

The staff at The Commons 1854 are the best at what they do! After talking with Kristi, Maura and Johanna, I knew I NEEDED to get married there. My fiancé and I had been to several weddings recently and we wanted ours to feel special. I didn't want it to be just like all the others. The staff are really detail oriented and all those little details add up to one amazing wedding!

They had recently finished some awesome renovations before our wedding and Frank (owner) gave us a tour. He was so excited as he showed us each new update around the building. He looked like a kid on Christmas morning as he held up a sample floor tile. You can tell, he really loves his job!

Johanna was great at making sure we were happy before the ceremony and during the reception. Whatever we needed, she made it happen. And with a smile on her face. She and the DJ worked well together at keeping everything running smoothly which allowed us to completely enjoy the night and not have to worry about anything.

The food was just unbelievable. None of our guests went home hungry. It was all presented so nicely too. Our guests commented on how happy and accommodating the staff serving the food were. The fact that they are all so happy to work there further proves what a great place The Commons is. Several guests told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to. My wedding was absolutely perfect. The Commons provided a great start to our happily ever after…

Recently Married

My husband and I first looked at The Commons 1854 in August of 2013, and booked the venue immediately. It was the only venue we actually looked at. From the moment we met the wonderful staff, we knew that this charming venue was going to be perfect for our big day. From the beginning, Kristi and Johanna answered any and all questions in a prompt manner. We were having a small wedding, and some venues we had spoken with seemed uninterested in hosting smaller events. This was never the case at The Commons. We felt like a priority and as if our wedding was just as important as bigger more expensive events. We loved the individual attention we received throughout the process, and felt just as important as other clients. Planning the event with Johanna was the least stressful of all the wedding planning tasks. We were also able to host our rehearsal dinner at The Commons---and it was perfect. The food was phenomenal, the service incredible, and the rehearsal professional. The night of our wedding was perfect (and if something did go wrong, I didn't know!). The ceremony was smooth, the staff did an incredible job setting everything up, our guests had a great time. The food was incredible, we are still getting compliments! I requested a different dinner than what we were serving guests and Johanna made that happen, and even wrapped my dinner as I couldn't finish it (probably because my dress was so fitted I couldn't breathe!). Johanna checked on us throughout the night to make sure we had everything we needed, and that was just so appreciated! She handled everything so perfectly, even when dealing with our very unprofessional Justice of the Peace. I highly recommend The Commons to host your special day. I wish that I could relive our experience at this incredible venue! It was everything that I could have hoped for, and more!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Jennifer
01/03/2015

I can’t begin to say enough about the venue, food and service that The Commons provides! The venue is absolutely beautiful, we just got married a few weeks ago in January it was a perfect winter wedding! We even had a little snow fall throughout the night.
Johanna is an absolutely amazing coordinator and is wonderful to work with. Your special day is just that and you want everything to be perfect and smooth and thanks to Johanna and her amazing staff it was! I want to give a special thank you to one of her staff members Rosie who always made sure that we had a drink in hand and ate during the night! During our planning Johanna was always there if we had questions and gave us great recommendations. She thinks of everything!
Throughout the night and still we have heard from our quests that the venue was just perfect and that the food was amazing! People can’t stop talking about the food especially the scallops wrap in bacon and how big they were!
From the moment that we arrived at The Commons the day of our wedding until the time we left was just perfect. I wouldn’t have changed anything; it was literally the time of our lives!! Without the help of Johanna and her staff I don’t think that I could say this. I am so happy that we chose The Commons for our wedding and I would highly highly recommend then!!!!

Ann
12/27/2014

My daughter's words to me "Mom thank you and Daddy for making my dream come true, everything I imagined my wedding to be." I thank Kristi and Johanna and say you have made my dream come true and all my expectations for the perfect wedding for my daughter. We know it's all about the bride and occasionally the groom. My family and friends as well as my husband and myself were treated like royalty by the staff. It's so nice to be Queen for a day!!!

Recently Married

My daughter's wedding day at The Topsfield Commons 1854 was superb. The bride and groom will always remember their special day as perfect. From the ceremony to last dance, the reception at the Commons met all our hopes and expectations. The event planner(s) and staff are very professional and know their business extremely well. They were very helpful with ideas and answering our many questions. The food was excellent; we heard nothing but glowing remarks from our guests. Having a DJ and photographer familiar with the Commons made the evening flow smoothly. I would recommend The Commons 1854 to couples planning their wedding.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Wedding Cake