Maypole Studios
www.maypolestudios.com
Chicago, IL 60622  | map
Style: Contemporary, Photojournalism
Packages: Albums, Digital Files, High Resolution Images...
Liability Insurance: Yes

Value:
Flexibility:

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
Bethany is amazing! She's an incredible photographer, is very invested in her work, and she's very personable. She made us feel very comfortable during our engagement session and made everyone feel comfortable during our wedding. She spent so much time with us on multiple occasions. That translates to the photos she captures. We LOVE our wedding photos and our engagement session photos. Bethany captured so many details. We received so many photos from Bethany of us, the wedding party, and our family and our friends. We had beautiful pictures to share with so many of our guests. Working with Bethany was one of the highlights of our wedding process and one of the best decisions we made! She's fantastic!
Wedding: 05/10/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We initially saw Bethany's work based on reviews from this site. Her website and personal philosophy just seemed to fit with what we wanted for our last minute (planned in 4 months) wedding. We met Bethany at her studio and were immediately at ease with her. She even had a nice selection of beer and snacks for us when we arrived (we were getting married at a brewery). We looked at a few other photographers, but nobody even came close to the initial impression that we had from Bethany.
She was always timely in her responses, much more than anyone else that we dealt with during the wedding planning process. We did engagement pictures and she was very flexible with scheduling (due to a horribly cold Chicago winter). We had to do mostly indoor pictures but we were very happy with the outcome.
When it came to the wedding day she and her assistant were exactly what you want in a photography team. There was good communication before our big day, they were on time, and constantly positive and upbeat. They found us great locations for outdoor photos before the wedding ceremony. The wedding itself, they were there in the background, but never overwhelming. They were not blocking our guests views of the ceremony (one of my pet peeves) and during dancing we barely knew they were there.
Needless to say the pictures were awesome!!! We are so happy with how they turned out from the color, to the composition, to the amazing way they made me look awesome in every shot.
We will be using Bethany and Maypole for all of our photography needs in the future!
Wedding: 04/18/2014

Lara 5 Reviews
My wedding planner presented about 10 photographers' websites to me. Bethany's work really stood out from all the rest to me - hers was the only portfolio that made me say "oooh!" and I felt like we clicked when we met.

She is such a friendly, cheerful person, which really helps when it's just you, your partner, and her, posing in possibly strange places or attire (I can't imagine too many people would be comfortable doing that right off the bat). A bit awkward at first, we quickly became comfortable working with her. She provided direction for us ("now lean your foreheads together..") to not look awkward. My husband and I are rather quiet, so her direction really helped.

We started with an engagement session at a location of my choosing. She met us and we spent a few hours wandering and taking photos. I wasn't sure if we were acting the way we should, or if we would look awkward and posed in all of the photos. When Bethany finished editing the photos and sent them back to me, I was absolutely floored. There were so many and they were all completely gorgeous. I don't know how she managed to capture so many great shots in that session! She shared the photos with me via dropbox so they were instantly on my computer, which was nice.

On the day of my wedding, she arrived with her second photographer to take some shots while we were getting ready. We then did a "first look" session in the courtyard, followed by shots with the bridal party in a nearby park that she found ahead of time. Then were shots with our family, and finally the ceremony and reception. I absolutely cannot wait to see what she captured through all of this!

In conclusion, Bethany is probably my favorite person I've ever paid for a service (tied with my wedding planner!) I am absolutely 110% satisfied with my experience with Bethany and would highly recommend anyone looking for an absolutely amazing photographer to contact her :)
Wedding: 10/13/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Bethany is the BEST. My husband and I loved getting to know Bethany throughout the wedding process, and we miss seeing her, and that is before I even get into the photos! She did the most amazing job. I cannot even put it into words. We have our pictures back now, and could not be more thrilled. She created a beautiful slide show which we can easily show to our friends and family, an app so we can show people photos easily, and delivered all the files for us. They are amazing pictures - capturing the beauty of the day and all the best moments. She has a true talent. I cannot recommend her more highly!
Wedding: 09/21/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I cannot say enough good things about Maypole Studios. Bethany is just great. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where Bethany was the photographer and I paid close attention to her style because I had just gotten engaged. When my fiancé and I sat down with her to discuss the details, we knew we needed to look no further. The examples of her work speak for themselves, they are beautiful, but it was Bethany's personality and professionalism that sold us.

When the time came around for our scheduled engagement photo session (included in our package- a great deal), Bethany had a horrible flu. Despite feeling awful, Bethany did not miss a beat in agreeing to keep our appointment time due to scheduling issues on my end. Even though she was sick, she trudged around the city in the December weather and provided us with a wonderful engagement shoot. She suggested multiple locations, never rushed us at all even though she wasn't feeling well, and even offered to provide another session once the weather turned nicer at no additional charge just to make sure that we got what we wanted. Not only did she go above and beyond, we loved the opportunity to get to know her.

As the wedding date approached, she offered suggestions for a timeline for the day and various picture locations throughout the city that only a skilled photographer would think of. She managed our enormous bridal party seamlessly, made sure to get every single shot that we wanted, plus more that we never would have thought of. Every time something happened during the reception that I wanted captured, Bethany was right there, totally unintrusive but photographing every moment just the same. Before she left for the night, she checked to make sure that there wasn't anything else that we wanted her to capture, even though she had already stayed later than the contracted amount of time.

I would very highly recommend Bethany/ Maypole Studios. You will not be sorry!
Wedding: 08/17/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Bethany is truly the BEST! She's very professional, wonderful to work with, and very laid back (which helps to calm you when you are in the middle of the best day ever!). When I was looking for highly recommended photographers in Chicago, she came up on Yelp and Wedding Wire as one of the best! I loved the photos on her blog and the featured pictures on various wedding sites.

My husband and I were so grateful to work with her last year when we eloped and had our courthouse wedding in downtown Chicago. Bethany was able to fit us in with a week's notice and was the only photographer who agreed to take pictures of us at the courthouse. That really meant a lot to us since we were able to capture the joy and excitement of getting married!

Since we were coming from out of town and had never been to Chicago (we chose it on a whim as the location to elope), Bethany took us throughout the city to locations where we could take great pictures that fit our casual style (such as a French patisserie by Millennium Park or the Art Institute gardens). But she was also creative and had a great eye for fun pictures, so we took some in front of cool wall art by the street or in the middle of busy traffic. We were also very nervous about taking pictures because we both felt awkward and don't like taking pictures, but Bethany put us at ease and made the whole afternoon very fun and relaxing.

The pictures turned out perfectly--they captured our emotions and the fun we had that day, but it also didn't make us seem like we were posing for the camera. Bethany shared the pictures with us via her website and she also sent us a gorgeous USB with the pictures (along with some tasty truffles and a handwritten note!) recently.

Throughout the whole process, Bethany was amazing, very responsive (she's very fast in getting back to you and setting up a time to chat), and definitely seeks to make a personal connection with you as she works with you and gets to know you.
Wedding: 07/26/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My wife and I got married in October of 2012 and were very fortunate to have Bethany as our photographer.
We met 6 other photographers with similar experience prior to deciding to go with her, as we wanted to make sure we choose the best available option for us. Based on sample photos, experience, equipment, cost, etc, Bethany turned out to be our top choice easily! She was very friendly, positive, accommodating and professional AT ALL TIMES. We loved the fact that she was so passionate about her work!
On the day of the wedding she also brought an extra photographer who helped her very well, so essentially we felt like we were getting 2 for the price of 1!
You never want to be disappointed with the memories of your special day and using Bethany can GUARANTEE you will be satisfied. She is the type of photographer that you want to have on your wedding day!
Wedding: 10/05/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Bethany photographed our wedding this past September. She's the best! We absolutely loved working with her - she is very professional, organized, easy to work with, and incredibly talented. She loves what she does and it shows in both her personailty as well as her photographs. She is such a pleasure to be around and our wedding pictures are amazing. We feel truly lucky to have had Bethany capture our big day!
Wedding: 09/22/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
It’s important to realize that you have one take away from the most memorable and expensive day of your life: photography. DO NOT skimp or be cheap when it comes to your photographer. And choose a photographer that meets your needs, understands your vision, and stays on top of things. Bethany at Maypole Studios does it all. She gets it. She was by far one of the best and easiest vendors to work with. In a service-oriented world Bethany goes above and beyond what’s required and she made my wedding extremely enjoyed. I never expected to receive SO many great comments on how great the pictures turned out. It’s a reflection of the time and heart Bethany puts into her work. She is extremely passionate and creative.
I rate the service and experience with 5 stars. I challenge you to find anyone who is better than Bethany. I highly recommend Bethany to ANYONE who is looking to work with one of the most professional and best people in the business, and I look forward to working with her in the future.
After my first discussion and meeting with Bethany, I was confident that she would give 110% of her time and effort to ensure that my wedding day would go without any issues. Bethany did an amazing job of asking what I was seeking, clearly defined expectations, and explained what was required from beginning until end. I felt like she was on my side the entire process and she did everything in her power to ensure that I got what I wanted. She understands what your needs are and instead of taking cheesy photos she uses her artistic creativity to create magic. She was also extremely flexible to meet at times that worked for my wife and I; she made things really easy on our end. Additionally, her pricing is really reasonable and competitive. I shopped around with 2 other similar photographers and they could not even come close to Bethany’s pricing and the services she offers. Thanks Bethany and great job.
Wedding: 09/08/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Bethany and Maypole Studios (including Jamie Hartley) turned out to be the greatest decision we made when it came to our wedding vendors! A few minutes into our initial meeting with Bethany, we knew that we wanted Bethany to be our photographer.

Bethany not only brings an amazing eye and perspective, but she was also a blast to work with on the day of; and her partner Jamie is equally badass. Their attention to detail, passion, and professionalism was unmatched (we in fact nicknamed Bethany our “Rock”). Bethany took the time on various occasions to understand us, our vision, and took it beyond anything we could have encapsulated with words. The best way I can describe it is that it was a "documentary" of our actual day.

Bethany (and Jamie) captured both traditional, memorable, candid, and surprised moments of our wedding with an artistic flare that left our relatives breathless and our hearts forever changed. Bethany's photography has created memories that will outlive both of us.
Wedding: 08/18/2012

Valerie 7 Reviews
Bethany is a dream to work with. So sweet and has that special knack of capturing unique pictures that you average photographer would not even think of. If you want to end up with the most amazing memories of your special day, than Bethany is the person you absolutely would want to have around to capture them.
Wedding: 06/23/2012

D 5 Reviews

This review is LONG overdue. Please know that I could go on and on about how wonderful Bethany is, but I will keep this short and sweet. The photographs became my absolute favorite thing about my wedding thanks to Bethany. She was so fun and easy to work with and really went above and beyond during the entire process. The morning of my wedding, I was frazzled, as (I assume?) most brides tend to be. However, once Bethany arrived, she helped calm me down and gently guided me through the morning. I have received countless compliments on the photos and looking at them reminds me just how special the day was. PLEASE do yourself a favor and choose Bethany!!!
Wedding: 05/26/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Bethany is a gem in the photography world. She was the best decision I made for my wedding. I knew from the first time I met her she was amazing. I have no doubt the photos will turn out amazing. Bethany went above and beyond when it came to customer service. She worked all day on our engagement photos and provided us with night shots. In addition, she made an outstanding photo booth, which my guest loved. Not only is Bethany incredible but Jamie, her assistant, was fantastic as well. My husband said the guys had so much fun with her. Bethany is such a pleasure to work with. She really puts her whole heart into her work and makes you feel like your special. She is extremely creative and has an eye for capturing great moments.
Wedding: 05/19/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Bethany provided a service that exceeded all expectations. We could not have imagined a better experience. Not only was the final product spectacular but the service on the day of was impeccable. Words cannot express how pleased we are with what she added to our day and the memories she captured.
Wedding: 07/21/2011
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We just had our wedding on June, 17th and haven't even received the final photos yet but couldn't wait to share how great Bethany from Maypole Studios is! You could easily pay twice as much for a photographer in Chicago with a quarter of the talent Bethany has.

We had our engagement session in October and were thrilled with the photos Bethany took. We were a little nervous to pose and were worried we would have unnatural/standard engagement photos but Bethany did an amazing job capturing us and our personalities! Our photos were so beautiful...we plastered them all over our website and save the dates.

Bethany went above and beyond in every way. She was in constant contact before our wedding, went to our pre-wedding walkthrough, hired an excellent and fun assistant to capture the groom and groomsmen bowling before the ceremony and styled our photo-booth for the wedding which was a huge hit...there was a line the whole night. She also recommended Carley Martin for make-up who made us all look flawless.

I'm sad our wedding is over mostly because we won't be spending time with awesome people like Bethany.
Wedding: 06/17/2011
4.8/5.0
  • Professionalism:  4.5
  • Value:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
As a soon-to-be bride, I could have waited to review Bethany until after my wedding in July, but I just had to share how amazing she has been thus far!

My fiance and I put a lot of time and effort into the hunt for our wedding photographer, but as soon as we met Bethany, we knew our search was over. It's extremely important to not only love your photographer's portfolio, but you must also enjoy their personality. These people are in your face all day on the most important day of your life, so personality is key.

With that said, Bethany is just a dream to work with. She is so sweet and funny, and man is she talented! So far we've only had our engagement shoots, but they turned out spectacular! If you are looking for pictures that stand out and don't look like everyone else's, Bethany is the photographer for you. She has such a keen eye, and she really has a knack for capturing great moments. Her services are extremely affordable, and I am so thankful she'll be snapping away on my big day in July!

Wedding: 03/06/2011
 212-877-0564
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire