La Jolla Woman's Club

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

La Jolla Woman's Club captured us as soon as we walked through the gates and never ceased to amaze.

The historic building and the outdoor landscape design instantly welcomes you into this intimate private setting for all your wedding guests to enjoy. The 100 year-old building enhanced our 1920s vintage/modern themed wedding too. It was a perfect location for us; walking distance from the hotel (Inn By the Sea - highly recommended as well. Can't beat the location, service and price point) and all the weekend activities. Plus a quick drive to La Jolla Cove for wedding pictures. We have absolutely no regrets on this venue and would chose this place if we had to do it all over again.

Working with Sharlene Thompson, the Executive Director for LJWC was a nice experience. She is professional, responsive, and fair; and will give it to you straight (something I appreciate). Tip: She holds weekly open houses, so you can drop in for a visit as often as you'd like. I took full advantage of these open houses. It's always fun to check out your venue in the months leading up to your big day.

We hosted our ceremony in the South Garden, which had this loving, intimate feel with beautiful natural scenery. Cocktail hour was planned for the North Garden, but at the same time a colony of bees decided to build their new nest around their Queen, so it was relocated to the South Garden (Guests could have cared less). We like to think of it as good wedding-day fortune. The reception was held in the ballroom. The space allows for people to dance the night away and/or enjoy some fresh air while watching the La Jolla sunset.

A great time was had by all. Go check this place out!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

"My husband and I loved having our wedding at the LJWC! It was truly a special and magical day - and better than we imagined it to be. The venue was perfect - we loved that it was historic and set back from the street. There are also so many places around the venue for photographic opportunities that each had their own character. We felt like the club was a special guest at the wedding. I am still in love with your oak tree and that we could hang a chandelier in it! All the vendors worked well together and as far as we know, there were no problems! We really appreciate all the communication we had with you throughout the process and I know it helped to make our day flow seamlessly. We received positive feedback from our guests about how special and beautiful the wedding was and people even commented that parking was not a problem. We had worried that it might be. We also loved how walkable La Jolla is and that guests were able to enjoy a mini weekend in LJ and not have to worry about renting a car to get from their hotel to the venue since there are many wonderful hotels within walking distance. We would highly recommend the LJWC for any couple looking for an elegant and historic venue. We would also recommend all of our vendors: Wedding Planner - Andrea with A Diamond Celebration, Cute Cakes in Escondido, Crown Point Catering, Bar Works, Haydee's Creative Flowers, Michael Tiernan with Still Listening Productions, Anika London for Photography, XOXO Wedding Studio for Videography, Kristen at Rock and Royal Make Up Studio, the Holiday Suite at the Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla (next door to the LJWC!), and Mario with Best Rentals."

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The minute I laid eyes on the La Jolla Women's Club I simply knew that was where I was meant to get married! I had visions of walking down the brick aisle and getting married to my wonderful fiancé (now husband) in the gorgeous serene garden. Every contact with Sharlene was helpful and she always answered my questions promptly. So far everything was going great! I never thought to ask, "what do we do if it rains?". Why would we have asked-California is in a draught and the wedding would be in August! Well go figure, it rained the day of our wedding-August 2, 2014. I couldn't believe it! I received a call from Sharlene assuring me they had an idea for where we could move the ceremony. I insisted we wait until the last minute to move the ceremony from the garden to the veranda. By the time we arrived at the venue, the rain was obviously not going to stop. I saw how Sharlene and Mario set up the ceremony to be under the veranda right next to the original garden ceremony location. It was beautiful!! My husband and I are so grateful for Sharlene, Mario and our wedding coordinator. Our wedding day was actually better than we could have imagined. They worked so hard to make sure our day was wonderful. Our wedding was unforgettable. We had an amazing ceremony outside under the veranda as it rained. The green all around was stunning. Our cocktail hour was simply moved inside right by the garden. With all the doors and window open, it was like we were outside. We truly think our day was better than how we originally planned. I feel so lucky to have picked the La Jolla Women's club because there are endless possibilities no matter the weather. At another venue, we would have had no other option for a ceremony. I had nothing to worry about on my big day. Sharlene and crew took care of it all and were excellent at troubleshooting I strongly recommend the La Jolla Women's Club. It is worth every single dollar to ensure your big day runs smoothly, no matter what!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

What we love about San Diego is Balboa Park with its gardens and fountains, the proximity to the beach, and the great weather. At La Jolla Woman's Club you get all of that but better! It has a very Balboa feel (beautiful gardens and a fountain) while being a nice private venue that is not possible at Balboa. Plus, it is very short walking distance to the beach and having our family all staying in La Jolla meant we "took over the town" for a few days which was very fun and surreal (we had lots of international family). Also, all our guests were so excited to visit/stay at San Diego, and the well known La Jolla especially. Sharlene (who runs the venue) is absolutely wonderful I (the bride) is a San Diego native, but we were planning the wedding from the east coast. Sharlene was very professional and able to help us get good contacts, answer any questions promptly, and solve any problems. We would recommend this venue to everyone! It will always be a special place for us now!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I were married at the La Jolla Women’s Club in July. The venue is located in La Jolla Village right across from the ocean. It is walking distance from many hotels, which worked perfectly for us since most of guests were from out of town. Although it is located in a busy area, it is very peaceful and private. The venue itself it absolutely beautiful, with all the flowers surrounding the gardens, very little decoration is needed.

Sharlene was excellent to work with. She was so helpful throughout the planning process. She is very knowledgable about the area and vendors. She provided us with a helpful list of suggested vendors. The only required vendor is BarWorks, but the prices were reasonable and they provided excellent service. Sharlene was always very warm and welcoming during all of our visits to the club and gave us a lot of extra suggestions to help us during all of the planning.

I would definitely recommend the La Jolla Women’s Club for weddings and events!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The La Jolla Woman's Club was instantly a venue at the top of my list when I first visited it! The beautiful garden, large front lawn and old charm to the building make it a beautiful wedding venue. I got married in the garden which was in full bloom provided natural decor full of color. The club house is spacious and kept in great condition allowing for plenty of space to eat, dance and party away. Sharlene was an immense pleasure to work with as she is very knowledgeable, prompt and professional. The only potential issue has with the venue is that the curfew is 10 pm as it is in a residential area. However by 10 my husband and I were exhausted and happy to step away from our guests and take the short walk ( 1 or 2 blocks) to our hotel. I would recommend this venue to any couple who wants a beautiful outdoor ceremony surrounded by nature, ocean views and a indoor reception in a venue that is a one stop shop.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Lighting & Decor
Matthew
05/17/2014

LJWC is a beautiful venue. Our wedding was amazing with the venue was perfect.

Sharlene was great to work with, had some great vendor recommendations, and was always super responsive and professional to work with. She worked very well with our wedding planner and other vendors to help make sure our wedding day was perfect. When we initially looked at venues, we looked at ~10 locations throughout San Diego. We immediately fell in love with the La Jolla Woman's Club and booked it on the spot. I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding - it's a beautiful place to celebrate!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I got married in April at the La Jolla Woman's Club in the heart of La Jolla. Our guests were able to walk from their hotel at the Empress to this venue with ease. This historic building is well-maintained and felt so inviting. We had our ceremony in the south-side garden. The flowers and trees were all in bloom and gorgeous. There was already a beautiful arch to stand underneath during the ceremony. This venue was very intimate and private. They had lights on the trees at night which provided us with some great night pictures with our photographer. It was a pleasure working with Sharlene. She was easy to communicate with and responded promptly to any emails. She and her staff went out of their way to make our experience a great one.

1+ year ago

LJWC is such a great value for a beautiful venue and excellent service

0.0

I would reccommend the La Jolla Women's Club to anyone searching for a place for their special day. I loved the fact that you get married on the same site as the recpetion. The property is gorgeous and there a couple locations where the ceremony can take place. Not only is the property gorgeous like I mentioned, it's pretty large. I had two bars at my wedding and it helped spread out the party throughout the grounds. Sharlene, the director of events at the club is fantastic. She is a HUGE help in crossing your T's and dotting your I's. She was there to help answer any questions I had and is full of great suggestions to make your day special.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Unique Services (Other)

La Jolla Woman's club is the best location for any occasion. I love the garden and the building itself. Located close to the beach and never had trouble with parking although it is in the heart of La Jolla Village.

We had our wedding beginning of November 2013 and it was just perfect. Our ceremony took place in the south garden where it is more private and the bar was set up in the north garden. Our guests enjoyed themselves while we took stroll down to the beach for some sunset shots. Our reception was indoors but you have the option to have it outside. It almost never rains in San Diego but we wanted to have a location where indoor/outdoor set up can be possible without and additional worry. Only down side is if you want to party long hours into the night you need take it to another location after 9:30 since the music needs to be turned down due neighborhood noise ordinance.

Sharlene is the executive director and she is great with everything when it comes to planning. We had a short time to put everything together (3-4 months) and to be honest we didn't know all need to be taken care of. Sharlene was very helpful making sure we had everything straight. Se has her checklist and makes sure nothing is forgotten. She is prompt with emails and very professional. We were very lucky to have her, through out planning our wedding and on the day of. She was instrumental in our amazing experience at LJWC. We had a perfect wedding day!

Sarah
10/19/2013
4.1

Absolutely beautiful, simple, classic venue with scenery that cannot be beat. We loved it, as did our guests! Sharlene was so wonderful to work with. She responded quickly to all of our questions throughout the entire planning process. Our families are from out of town, but we found it quite easy to stop by and tour the venue whenever we needed. This is no vault of the venue, but the city of La Jolla does have the policy that events must be shut down by 10 pm, which means the bar/music will end at 9:30. This was disappointing to us, since we paid to have the venue until 10:00 and wanted to keep the party going for as long as we could, but I assume they do that to ensure enough time to clean up and get out of there. Looking back, I may have paid for an extra half hour of time to truly have a 5 hour long reception.

Karen
10/05/2013

We feel so lucky to have found La Jolla Woman's Club for our wedding! The venue is fantastic, with lots of options to fit your style of wedding and it fit our idea of an alfresco garden wedding perfectly. Our guests keep commmenting on what a great location we had. Sharlene was so easy to work with and had lots of great suggestions to help our day run smoothly.

4.1

We had a wonderful experience at the Woman's Club and Sharlene is fantastic and so, so, helpful. The gardens were not as well kept as we had hoped and the bathrooms could be updated but still worked just fine for us. They are very strict on the timing of the event though so don't expect a ton of flexibility with the hourly requirements although more time can be purchased. Photos at this venue turn out beautifully as well.

1+ year ago

My husband and I had our September wedding ceremony and reception at LJWC and we couldn't be happier with how the day went. Sharlene, the site director, was a joy to work with. We knew we would be in good hands for our special day.

The grounds of LJWC are quite spectacular- as you walk through the gates (that offer a sense of privacy and intimacy), you are led through a well-manicured front lawn with a gorgeous tree and fountain, the famous side garden (which set the perfect backdrop to exchange our vows in) is absolutely beautiful and requires minimal decoration and on the other side of the Club guests can enjoy cocktail hour with a view of the ocean. Then you enter the charming historic building, which has lovely wooden floors with high ceilings in the grand ballroom, and unique details in every corner you look. Of course you can't beat the Club's location in La Jolla Cove too!

There's plenty of street parking in the nearby neighborhood and because the area offers some of La Jolla's best hotels, many guests were able to stroll over to the wedding by foot. Even when we were running behind on our timeline, it really felt like Sharlene had everything under control and was on our team to make sure that our vision would still be carried out. She even helped out with my bustle when my mother, bridesmaids, aunt and coordinator had difficulty finding the snaps!

All in all, this venue earns 5 stars in every category. The one drawback is that the music (and thus the party) needs to end by 9:30pm due to a noise ordinance and being close to a residential area. However, the Cove offers many spots to continue the party and my guests had a blast at our after-party that was just a five minute stroll down Prospect.

I feel blessed to have had such a wonderful wedding experience. Sharlene's professionalism, kindness and flexibility, along with the Woman's Club's gorgeous grounds and perfect location were instrumental in making my day amazing.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Nothing but good things to say about Sharlene and the La Jolla Woman's Club. From the beginning Sharlene was quick to respond to emails and answered all of my questions. As long as you are ok following the set guidelines it is a great venue. We had our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception there and I loved that there were so many different spaces to use.