La Jolla Woman's Club

Flexibility:
 (4.4/5.0)

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
La Jolla Woman's Club captured us as soon as we walked through the gates and never ceased to amaze.

The historic building and the outdoor landscape design instantly welcomes you into this intimate private setting for all your wedding guests to enjoy. The 100 year-old building enhanced our 1920s vintage/modern themed wedding too. It was a perfect location for us; walking distance from the hotel (Inn By the Sea - highly recommended as well. Can't beat the location, service and price point) and all the weekend activities. Plus a quick drive to La Jolla Cove for wedding pictures. We have absolutely no regrets on this venue and would chose this place if we had to do it all over again.

Working with Sharlene Thompson, the Executive Director for LJWC was a nice experience. She is professional, responsive, and fair; and will give it to you straight (something I appreciate). Tip: She holds weekly open houses, so you can drop in for a visit as often as you'd like. I took full advantage of these open houses. It's always fun to check out your venue in the months leading up to your big day.

We hosted our ceremony in the South Garden, which had this loving, intimate feel with beautiful natural scenery. Cocktail hour was planned for the North Garden, but at the same time a colony of bees decided to build their new nest around their Queen, so it was relocated to the South Garden (Guests could have cared less). We like to think of it as good wedding-day fortune. The reception was held in the ballroom. The space allows for people to dance the night away and/or enjoy some fresh air while watching the La Jolla sunset.

A great time was had by all. Go check this place out!
Wedding: 08/15/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The minute I laid eyes on the La Jolla Women's Club I simply knew that was where I was meant to get married! I had visions of walking down the brick aisle and getting married to my wonderful fiancé (now husband) in the gorgeous serene garden. Every contact with Sharlene was helpful and she always answered my questions promptly. So far everything was going great! I never thought to ask, "what do we do if it rains?". Why would we have asked-California is in a draught and the wedding would be in August! Well go figure, it rained the day of our wedding-August 2, 2014. I couldn't believe it! I received a call from Sharlene assuring me they had an idea for where we could move the ceremony. I insisted we wait until the last minute to move the ceremony from the garden to the veranda. By the time we arrived at the venue, the rain was obviously not going to stop. I saw how Sharlene and Mario set up the ceremony to be under the veranda right next to the original garden ceremony location. It was beautiful!! My husband and I are so grateful for Sharlene, Mario and our wedding coordinator. Our wedding day was actually better than we could have imagined. They worked so hard to make sure our day was wonderful. Our wedding was unforgettable. We had an amazing ceremony outside under the veranda as it rained. The green all around was stunning. Our cocktail hour was simply moved inside right by the garden. With all the doors and window open, it was like we were outside. We truly think our day was better than how we originally planned. I feel so lucky to have picked the La Jolla Women's club because there are endless possibilities no matter the weather. At another venue, we would have had no other option for a ceremony. I had nothing to worry about on my big day. Sharlene and crew took care of it all and were excellent at troubleshooting I strongly recommend the La Jolla Women's Club. It is worth every single dollar to ensure your big day runs smoothly, no matter what!
Wedding: 08/02/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
What we love about San Diego is Balboa Park with its gardens and fountains, the proximity to the beach, and the great weather. At La Jolla Woman's Club you get all of that but better! It has a very Balboa feel (beautiful gardens and a fountain) while being a nice private venue that is not possible at Balboa. Plus, it is very short walking distance to the beach and having our family all staying in La Jolla meant we "took over the town" for a few days which was very fun and surreal (we had lots of international family). Also, all our guests were so excited to visit/stay at San Diego, and the well known La Jolla especially. Sharlene (who runs the venue) is absolutely wonderful I (the bride) is a San Diego native, but we were planning the wedding from the east coast. Sharlene was very professional and able to help us get good contacts, answer any questions promptly, and solve any problems. We would recommend this venue to everyone! It will always be a special place for us now!
Wedding: 08/01/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I got married in April at the La Jolla Woman's Club in the heart of La Jolla. Our guests were able to walk from their hotel at the Empress to this venue with ease. This historic building is well-maintained and felt so inviting. We had our ceremony in the south-side garden. The flowers and trees were all in bloom and gorgeous. There was already a beautiful arch to stand underneath during the ceremony. This venue was very intimate and private. They had lights on the trees at night which provided us with some great night pictures with our photographer. It was a pleasure working with Sharlene. She was easy to communicate with and responded promptly to any emails. She and her staff went out of their way to make our experience a great one.
Wedding: 04/25/2014
  • Flexibility:  5.0
La Jolla Woman's club is the best location for any occasion. I love the garden and the building itself. Located close to the beach and never had trouble with parking although it is in the heart of La Jolla Village.

We had our wedding beginning of November 2013 and it was just perfect. Our ceremony took place in the south garden where it is more private and the bar was set up in the north garden. Our guests enjoyed themselves while we took stroll down to the beach for some sunset shots. Our reception was indoors but you have the option to have it outside. It almost never rains in San Diego but we wanted to have a location where indoor/outdoor set up can be possible without and additional worry. Only down side is if you want to party long hours into the night you need take it to another location after 9:30 since the music needs to be turned down due neighborhood noise ordinance.

Sharlene is the executive director and she is great with everything when it comes to planning. We had a short time to put everything together (3-4 months) and to be honest we didn't know all need to be taken care of. Sharlene was very helpful making sure we had everything straight. Se has her checklist and makes sure nothing is forgotten. She is prompt with emails and very professional. We were very lucky to have her, through out planning our wedding and on the day of. She was instrumental in our amazing experience at LJWC. We had a perfect wedding day!
Wedding: 11/09/2013

Karen 4 Reviews
We feel so lucky to have found La Jolla Woman's Club for our wedding! The venue is fantastic, with lots of options to fit your style of wedding and it fit our idea of an alfresco garden wedding perfectly. Our guests keep commmenting on what a great location we had. Sharlene was so easy to work with and had lots of great suggestions to help our day run smoothly.
Wedding: 10/05/2013

Private User 3 Reviews
My husband and I had our September wedding ceremony and reception at LJWC and we couldn't be happier with how the day went. Sharlene, the site director, was a joy to work with. We knew we would be in good hands for our special day.

The grounds of LJWC are quite spectacular- as you walk through the gates (that offer a sense of privacy and intimacy), you are led through a well-manicured front lawn with a gorgeous tree and fountain, the famous side garden (which set the perfect backdrop to exchange our vows in) is absolutely beautiful and requires minimal decoration and on the other side of the Club guests can enjoy cocktail hour with a view of the ocean. Then you enter the charming historic building, which has lovely wooden floors with high ceilings in the grand ballroom, and unique details in every corner you look. Of course you can't beat the Club's location in La Jolla Cove too!

There's plenty of street parking in the nearby neighborhood and because the area offers some of La Jolla's best hotels, many guests were able to stroll over to the wedding by foot. Even when we were running behind on our timeline, it really felt like Sharlene had everything under control and was on our team to make sure that our vision would still be carried out. She even helped out with my bustle when my mother, bridesmaids, aunt and coordinator had difficulty finding the snaps!

All in all, this venue earns 5 stars in every category. The one drawback is that the music (and thus the party) needs to end by 9:30pm due to a noise ordinance and being close to a residential area. However, the Cove offers many spots to continue the party and my guests had a blast at our after-party that was just a five minute stroll down Prospect.

I feel blessed to have had such a wonderful wedding experience. Sharlene's professionalism, kindness and flexibility, along with the Woman's Club's gorgeous grounds and perfect location were instrumental in making my day amazing.
Wedding: Recently Married
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My husband and I had our wedding at the La Jolla Woman's Club in September, & we could not have picked a more perfect venue to celebrate our special day! We actual wandered upon this place by accident on one of our evening walks around LJ village area. We loved the privacy that it offered, and the beauty of the building itself. When entering the property for the first time, I fell in love right away and knew this was the place! It has everything on site- a beautiful garden that is tucked away on the side of the property, the front portion of the grounds is wonderfully manicured with a beautiful huge oak tree in the front that was excellent for family photos, and then the other side of the property has a covered terrace with some what of an ocean view (and allows the breeze from the ocean to flow through) that is perfect for cocktail hour before the reception began. The location is prime because it is walking distance to pretty much everything in La Jolla proper which is HUGE if you have many out of town guests, and majority just walked from their hotel. Also, parking for those people who do drive is not a problem either since there is ample street parking available. Sharlene who is the site coordinator/director was a real pleasure to work with. She was so helpful with giving advice and worked well with all our vendors to make sure everything flowed smoothly. The only "downside" I would say is that the reception has to end by 9:30 due to residential noise ordinance, but I think that rule goes anywhere in San Diego that has an outdoor/garden venue that isn't in a hotel- we ended up hosting an after-party in the Village so it was fine. Also, no real candles allowed because it is a historical site.. but if you have an amazing florist like I did, she can make your table look spectacular regardless and give your table a beautiful glow without real candles. The ocean/beach is only a 2 block walk away and was perfect to take photos too with our bridal party.
Wedding: 09/07/2013

Elizabeth 1 Reviews
We absolutely loved having our daughter's wedding at the La Jolla Woman's Club. When we first viewed the site during an open house last fall, we were greeted warmly by Sharlene, the club's outstanding director. She was a joy to work with during the whole wedding process, from the initial planning stages right through the wedding itself. Her help and professional advice were invaluable, especially in choosing our vendors and making timely decisions. The venue itself was exactly what our daughter was looking for: charming; beautiful; architecturally special (no cookie cutter hotel ballrooms); and it's ideally located within walking distance of hotels and restaurants (necessary for us since we had many out of town guests), while still providing a sense of privacy and serenity. The garden setting for the ceremony was lovely, and the ballroom was spacious, beautifully set up, and perfect for dinner and dancing. We couldn't have found a better place. We only wish the city of San Diego allowed the wedding to last longer into the evening!
Wedding: 08/17/2013

Private User 4 Reviews
I got married here 1 month ago, and it was a delight working with executive director, Sharlene, to ensure all things went smoothly for the big day. She was nearly always available to meet and responded quickly to any questions I had via email and/or phone. Sharlene was attentive to my needs and went above and beyond expectations in all the details I was made aware of especially when I had so much on my mind as the date got closer. I truly admire the architecture of this Irving Gill building, and my guests gave me so many compliments afterwards on picking such a gorgeous venue to have a wedding. Everything is in one location - ceremony and reception right in the same spot! How convenient! I got married under the large oak tree, in full bloom it was spectacular! The south garden is also exquisite, and this is where we took our pictures right after the ceremony. You are a walk away from the ocean and right across from the Museum of Contemporary Art making for great photo opportunities for the wedding party and guests. Located at the corner of Silverado St. and Draper Ave., there are plenty of parking spots for everyone (I had 170+ people attend). The night went smoothly, and I cannot emphasize how nice it was to have everything in this one location, at the heart of La Jolla of all places! None of my guests left until it was all over. I've received so many compliments on my wedding, and I believe a lot has to do with the wonderful services the La Jolla Woman's Club has to offer. The rich history and selfless dedication to women today makes this non-profit organization especially close to my heart. They are SUPERB!!! My wedding was one to remember, and I plan to visit this place during our anniversaries. You'll fall in love it with too, I guarantee it!

midory 2 Reviews
Beautiful place! My now husband and I fell in love with this place for so many reasons. From the location, to the gardens, to the amazing help and patience from Sharlene. This place is so iconic architecturally, so to be able to get married here was a dream come true. And what makes a beautiful place better? Amazing help from the event coordinator; Sharlene. She was not only super helpful with information but was unbelievably sweet. We went to the venue about a million times to mock up our ideas and she was always so welcoming and would even help us brainstorm on what we could do! It was just such a lovely experience from start to finish! We couldnt have had a more perfect experience with the La Jolla Woman's Club and Sharlene! LOVE!
Wedding: 05/04/2013

Kay 1 Reviews
We were thrilled with our choice of The La Jolla Women's Club for our daughter's wedding reception in March 2013! Sharlene is such an amazing coordinator! She held an Open House last March 2012 to introduce us to her excellent vendors (caterers, photographers, bar service, lighting etc.)so we could decide which to use. They all were excellent and we are indebted to Sharlene for guiding us through this daunting process. The beautiful, historically designated architecture is what captured our attention. It is a photographer's delight! The gardens and landscaping are breathtaking! The venue is reasonably priced considering we got to use this gorgeous setting. Every detail was addressed as Sharlene worked closely with our wedding planner, Irene Gonzales, to insure our day would be absolutely perfect and it was!
Wedding: 03/23/2013

Naketa 1 Reviews
The moment I walked into this breathtakingly pristine place, I knew I was meant to get married here...and I did just a few weeks ago! There is something just so enchanting about this place, as if you've walked into a different time. We had our ceremony in the south garden, which is this gorgeous, cozy nook with looming trees and greenery lit with delicate string lights. It gave such a magical, romantic vibe to our occasion. We loved that we found a venue that could be a one-stop affair for both the ceremony and reception. After the ceremony, there's an amazing terrace where we had a cocktail hour and set-up the bar for the evening. And our guests loved it because they could see the ocean, which is only a block away. The ballroom is the center of the building and has a wonderfully inviting warmth that adds to LJWC's charm. Our guests were all blown away by the beauty of this place.

One of the greatest bonuses of getting married here? Sharlene, the manager of the venue. She is one of the most caring, helpful, patient, informative, and generous people we had the honor of working with during our wedding preparations. To have someone so delightful, professional, and available to assist us in our wedding process is nothing short of a gift. I cannot say enough things about how positive and incredible our experience was and how much she played a part in it. We truly had the wedding of our dreams. I highly recommend this stunning historical venue for your big day.
Wedding: 11/03/2012

Anonymous 1 Reviews
Sharlene and the staff at La Jolla Woman's Club were beyond accommodating. We loved the venue and how well the staff was organized. Sharlene was a pleasure to work with and made our planning process a breeze. The La Jolla Woman's Club was easy to access for any preparation or event planning by us or our vendors. We would highly recommend this as a one of the best venues in San Diego.
Wedding: 10/06/2012

Anonymous 1 Reviews
Our wedding was perfect and magical in every single way and it completely exceeded every one of our (very high) expectations. So much of this had to do with the gorgeous venue -- we cannot tell you how many people commented on what a beautiful setting we chose. My father is a major critic when it comes to architecture and venues and he thought that it couldn't have been more perfect and beautiful.

Anonymous 2 Reviews
The La Jolla Woman's Club was a perfect place to host a wedding reception. Sharlene was great to work with and always available to offer suggestions and answer questions.
Wedding: 1+ year ago
Services Used: Beauty & Health, Wedding Cake, Catering, Flowers, Wedding Planning, Ceremony & Reception Venue
 858-454-2354
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire