Jim Colman Photography

Professionalism
Value
Flexibility
Recently Married

Jim is GREAT! He is very laid back and easy going and from our first meeting, he made me feel comfortable with him. He took our engagement pictures and took extra care to make sure we got the photos we wanted. I was blown away by them. He also did my bridal portaits and I can't even express how beautiful those turned out. When I first saw my bridal portriats, I was just completely overwhelmed at how beautiful they looked. He isn't stingy with his time and is willing to work with ideas that you have for photos. On our wedding day, he was with us the whole day - not 5 hours or 8 hours like some photographers limit you. He was with us while we were getting hair and make-up done, while we were putting on dresses and up until we left our reception. He had a second shooter come with him who was also fantastic. I kept an idea book of photos I liked and gave them to him, and he was willing to create some of the ideas that I had given him - and they turned out beautiful!!! I just got back from my honeymoon and looked at the proofs from our wedding day and was so happy - the photos made me laugh and cry. Having gone through this process, having a good photographer is KEY b/c unfortuantely, being the bride or groom, you miss so much of your own wedding. It was great getting to come back and see all of the details from the wedding and it just took me back to that day. You can't go wrong with Jim - he is highly professional and talented beyond belief. The photos he creates are beyond amazing!

Services Used: Photography

Jim was wonderful to work with! I met him at a wedding show and called to book later. I was happy that my date was still available since it was only 6 months out.

He tailored his package to my needs and even brought a second shooter on the day. Jim was very understanding on the day of my preference to stay inside and was creative in organizing our first look pictures at the venue. He also incorporated a lot of the decor which was a request of mine.

The pictures were delivered to me SUPER fast (within 2 weeks) and are of great quality!!

Jim Coleman is truly professional

Services Used: Photography

Jim Colman was the perfect photographer for our wedding. He also photographed our engagement session and my bridal session. Jim was extremely responsive and was more than willing to answer all of my questions in a timely manner! Jim is so personable and he made us feel so comfortable. Our pictures turned out beautiful and Jim did an excellent job at capturing every moment! Jim's work is the perfect mixture of beautiful artistic pictures and personable meaningful pictures. I would recommend Jim to any bride!

Services Used: Photography

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Jim! My bridal portraits are STUNNING! And I still cannot get over how awesome all the pictures are from our wedding! From the first meeting, Jim was very professional, listened to what we were looking for in a photographer, and tailored a package to meet our needs. My husband and I felt relaxed and confident that our pictures would come out fantastic, and Jim has exceeded all our expectations!

1+ year ago

Fantastic quality and very professional!!!

Services Used: Photography

We really enjoyed working with Jim. He knew exactly what we were looking for and have us plenty of options to choose from. He had a great attitude and even dealt with my photographer father. We had a great time and our photos were gorgeous!

Services Used: Photography

I moved to the Raleigh area about two years ago (in 2010), found the man of my dreams and got engaged October 1, 2011. When we got engaged we started immediately finding our vendors. I am a huge planner (I'm a teacher) so I knew I wanted to get the "BIG" plans out of the way. One of which being our photographer. We searched around quite a bit, asked for quotes, looked at websites, met for coffee but it wasn't until a week or so later that I tried begging my photographer friend back in WI to come do our wedding in NC. We both knew it wasn't feasible so he recommended Jim to us instead. We met with Jim a few weeks after we were engaged and immediately loved the vibe we got from him. He is professional but laid back and seemed to know an awful lot about the business.

We took a while before taking our engagement photographs but afterwards were really pleased with the results. My now husband and I are not very comfortable in front of a camera but Jim did a phenomenal job helping us feel comfortable. When we sent out the proofs to our friends and family members they were RAVING about them.

This past weekend we got married and used Jim as our photographer again. He made the day go by so smoothly and worked with me to get some of the shots that are not "traditional" but I wanted to have.

I highly recommend Jim to anyone who is looking for a fun, laid back, professional who has a TON of knowledge in the field.

Thanks Jim for being amazing. Ben and I love you!

Services Used: Photography

Jim Colman was the perfect photographer for our wedding; his attention to small details and the broad picture at the same time is truly admirable.
He captured every image I would want and got all our photos to us ONE week after the wedding. The photos are so lovely, my husband and I are really happy with the work he has done. In addition, the coffee table book is made with the best quality, and looks like it will last us forever. We show it to everyone visits our home.
Jim has a deep love for his photography and carries himself with great professionalism. His prices were great too! All said and done, with all the choices we made to make our wedding day special, our photographer was the best!

Services Used: Photography

Pictures were beautiful! He really knew what he was doing with his prices being affordable I also loved that we had the rights to all the pictures and they were ready in 2 weeks after the wedding.

Services Used: Photography

Jim is great. Nicest guy ever. Craftmanship is excellent. He did my engagement photos and bridal portraits ... beautiful work + great price. Only reason that he did not do the wedding day photography is because he was already booked. Very good with making suggestions about locations and poses. Very flexible.

Recommended to me, and now recommended by me.

Services Used: Photography

Is it possible to give more than 5 stars? I have been working with Jim for well over a year now on my wedding journey and I couldn't be happier with my choice of photographer. After our engagement in mid-2010, we decided that we would do a destination wedding in Mexico. At that time we had every intention of using the resort photographer, but I still wanted to have engagement pictures made here in Raleigh. My fiance was reluctant to spend the effort and money for engagement pics, but I finally convinced him to give it a shot. I found Jim online while trying to find a photographer that gives you the rights to the pictures, and we emailed back and forth about locations. I have to admit when I first saw Jim at the location, I was a bit unsure. Jim showed up in a "well worn" outfit (if you know what I mean), "fanny pack" full of lenses, and an armful of gear. I should have recognized that as the sign of a professional. Note that all of the other photographers we saw that day at the park were dressed in their preppy best with nothing but a single camera and lens around their necks. When Jim shoots your pictures he manipulates the light like a master with that gear and is constantly climbing up high or laying in the dirt to get the most amazing angles for your photos. After we saw those engagement photos, even my fiance was on board with flying Jim to Mexico to shoot our wedding. Before the wedding in Mexico, Jim shot an amazing bridal portrait session for me. I know it isn't everyone's taste, but we traveled to the warehouse district in downtown Raleigh and got a lot of artsy and urban photos. I was super pleased when Jim understood when I said "I don't want pretty bridal photos". As for Mexico - I could not be happier with my pictures. Jim spent A LOT of time with me during that trip - from scouting out photo locations to the rehearsal to the wedding day to an excursion to Mayan ruins and finally a sunrise Trash the Dress session. Not only did Jim do an amazing job as a photographer, he was a blast to hang out with... I am truly thankful I found Jim because I don't just have photos from my wedding - I have pieces of art. BTW - my initially reluctant fiance (now husband) is so pleased with Jim's work that he wants us to plan yearly photo sessions with Jim. Now ladies - you can imagine what sort of phenomenal work would be required for a man to not only agree to that, but to be the one to actually suggest it.

Services Used: Photography

We had a great experience with Jim Colman. The pictures are absolutely amazing! Jim not only has professionalism and expertise, he is also an artistic director with lots of patience, especially in the chaos of two large families.

My cousin, an avid amatuer photographer, came from China for our wedding, and Jim took the time to explain light placements and camera specs. My cousin really enjoyed his first time in the States, and I was so touched Jim worked around a language barrier. The wedding day passes so fast, and my advice to brides is to remember photos hold memories best, a wonderful photographer is one of the most important details!

Services Used: Photography

I discovered Jim Colman through his presence on a photography forum I frequent. My fiance and I were having trouble finding a local photographer with our wedding date available, so I thought... wouldn't it be great if we could get Jim to fly up here and shoot our wedding? Jim agreed to travel one day early and shoot our rehearsal dinner as well as the wedding.

Jim has artistic vision, talent and timeless style, I know our photos will last a lifetime and provide so many wonderful memories throughout the years.

I was impressed by Jim's professionalism and personality, all the way from booking his travel arrangements to sharing a few beers and stories at the hotel afterward.

The best part - Jim put together an AMAZING wedding album that we will cherish forever.

Jim really helped make our wedding the day that we wanted it to be. I would not hesitate to recommend Jim, and in fact I've mentioned his name to a few couples currently planning their weddings.

1 Review
2+ years ago

We only had to interview one photographer for our wedding and, Jim was it! The shots he took at our wedding and reception are unbelievable! He knows so much about lighting and photography. We were impressed that he could take shots even outside on our wedding night. My husband and I am so happy we found Jim Colman as our Photographer for our special day.

Jim and his assistant are truly professionals. If you don't believe me, just check out the photos his blog!

The only regret we have is that we didn't make a list of the photo shots we wanted. We were too busy entertaining guests that we didn't get photos of us on the stairwells, of our traditional wedding costumes standing together, and parent photos. He did ask us what we wanted next, but we didn't have a list. Not his fault, but ours :) We will definitely hire him again for future family photos! :D

Julie
06/26/2010

Jim Colman is a great photographer and was wonderful to work with. For the quality of photos, his price really is unmatched in the area. He turned our wedding photos around really quickly (we had the disc in hand about a week after our wedding) and he had them up on his blog only about 4 days after our wedding. I would highly recommend booking Jim for your wedding.