Wollam Gardens Reviews

20 | Jeffersonton, VA

20 Reviews for Wollam Gardens

Alex A. · Married on 10/10/2020

Stunning Venue

Stunning grounds and beautiful farmhouse. The ~11 acre property was the site of my perfect early October COVID-friendly wedding. My bride and I worked with Hillary and Joe for almost two years planning our perfect day, and we are SO thankful for them and know for certain we couldn’t have pulled off a safe wedding without their expertise and ability to pivot on a dime. Professional, personal perfection. They worked with us to safely navigate our day, went above and beyond and exercised infinite patience with all of the last minute changes that the pandemic presented. As a wedding venue, absolutely 10/10 in all aspects; location, scenery, aesthetic, distanced, acres upon acres of lovingly cared for flowers and lush gardens, and of course Cameo Joe making his first wedding beer pong appearance and Hillary absolutely nailing my bride’s vision to a tee.

Truthfully, we can’t recommend Wollam Gardens enough.

Sent on 05/17/2021
  • Mary

Mary R. · Married on 10/03/2020

Gorgeous Venue - Great Staff

Wollam Gardens is a beautiful venue that met all our requirements: outdoor, rustic, covered, super charming. We first visited in the pouring rain and were sold immediately. The price point was great but they've since redesigned their package offerings to make the process even easier for couples. Planning a wedding through COVID was stressful but having a wedding here with some extra precautions in place put us at ease. The staff were all great, video chatting with us from quarantine to talk things over, and our friends and family are still telling us stories about great things Joe did for them on the day. If we had to get married all over again, we'd still do it here!

Sent on 10/29/2020

Bryant · Married on 07/31/2020

Fantastic flowers for our outdoor wedding

Getting married in 2020, we of course changed our date, plan, and everything about our wedding 20 different times in 200 different ways. Wollam Gardens stuck with us throughout. They were flexible, encouraging, and lovely to work with.

Of course, the most important part is that the flowers came out FANTASTIC! We didn't have a hyper-specific ask, other than the pieces be composed of in-season flowers/plants, and that they look a little wild. Somehow, Wollam took what little input we provided and nailed the look we had in mind!

We got a bridal bouquet, several more market bouquets, and my boutonniere. Everything came out fresh and gorgeous. Couldn't be happier with the flowers, the price, the service...everything! Highly recommend.

Sent on 08/16/2020
  • Andrea

Andrea · Married on 09/08/2019

Lovely flowers & amazing service

From my very first call with Wollam Gardens I was absolutely delighted to work with people who were so eager to listen and understand exactly what I was looking for in my wedding flowers. I purchased the bulk flowers used for DIY arrangement and was so pleased with the variety of flowers and greenery and how it was exactly what I was looking for. Mary also made my bouquet and produced exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!

Sent on 09/28/2019
  • Catherine

Catherine E. · Married on 08/17/2019

Amazing venue for my garden wedding!

I can't speak highly enough about this venue and the service of Kevin and Claire (venue coordinator and head florist, respectively, who also just got married there this summer). Kevin made the experience super easy and answered any questions that I had, and he helped out quite a lot of the day of. The biggest perk of this venue, I would say (other than it being gorgeous), is the fact that they are very flexible with caterers and bartenders and things like that. We saved a lot of money by getting our own liability insurance and then bringing in our own food/drinks rather than having to hire a licensed caterer. We also DIYed our flowers, besides the bouquets, and it turned out great! We went down the day before to do the arrangements and had access to their flower cooler to store everything overnight.

Photographer is Hope's Lens, in case anyone is wondering.

Sent on 08/29/2019

Raffie · Married on 05/27/2019

Local, affordable, flexible, and beautiful

Neither my fiance nor I know much about flowers, so we didn't have strong opinions about florists before our wedding. We started looking at traditional florists but quickly decided we'd rather go with something locally grown (because, after all, it was Virginia in springtime). We are so glad to have found Claire and her team. They put together stunning arrangements at affordable prices and were incredibly flexible when our pickup plans changed repeatedly. Grateful for their skill and hard work!

Sent on 10/31/2019

Eryn · Married on 09/29/2018

Incredible Venue

I got married at Wollam Gardens at the end of September, and I could not be happier. The venue is stunning, the people are incredible, and the feel of the venue just leaves you smiling. Everyone at Wollam was helpful and SO accommodating. We had to change the ceremony location last minute due to rain, and they pulled out all the stops to make sure that the change felt like an upgrade, rather then a last minute weather decision.

Our point of contact was always ready to chat, and had a great list of local vendors that we could use. This was her last wedding season, but Arrin was probably the most kind, warm, and helpful person we could have possibly asked for to help us through our wedding planning process. This was how the entire staff at Wollam was, however, so no matter who you end up working with, you'll be well taken care of!

We also elected use Wollam for our florals. You will not be disappointed if you go this route! They are completely reasonably priced, and create stunning designs. Claire was a dream to work with, easy to communicate with and so generous in her time and advice. The installation we ordered was stunning, the table flowers were stunning, the bouquet was incredible. I felt like I was in a dream.

I would recommend Wollam to anyone looking for florals or a wedding venue. They made our day incredible

Sent on 10/22/2018

Emily · Married on 06/02/2018

I am truly blown away by how helpful Wollam Gardens was in terms of helping interpret my vague directions into truly stunning flowers. I don't know anything about flowers and didn't have the budget for a traditional florist, and Wollam not only worked within my limited budget but also provided flowers well beyond what I ever thought I could have. They are kind, knowledgeable, communicative, and they care about each of their clients no matter how big or small the job. I got countless comments on how beautiful the flowers were, so thank you to the whole Wollam team!

Sent on 06/29/2018
  • Renee

Renee · Married on 06/02/2018

Wollam Gardens was a joy to work with throughout our planning process and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a florist to handle their wedding.

When we initially started planning, it was very important to us to find a floral vendor that used sustainable practices, offered affordable pricing, and would allow us to purchase a combination of arranged and wholesale flowers. Wollam checked all the boxes, and after a brief chat with Hillary, we booked and moved on to the next step in our planning process.

Every time we circled back to Hillary with a question or slight change in what we wanted, she was responsive and flexible. When, towards the end of planning, I was struggling to pull everything together she was incredibly helpful, making several suggestions that helped me determine what I wanted and which direction to take moving forward. When it looked like we would no longer be able to pick up the flowers at the farm (a lofty idea that seemed perfectly reasonable 6-months out but overwhelming a month before), she worked to make other arrangements that better fit our capabilities.

Wollam really shined towards the end of our planning process. Typically, Wollam grows the flowers that they use for their arrangements; however, towards the end of our planning process, it became clear that nature was not going to cooperate and that they would likely not have flowers in our wedding colors available. Hillary quickly informed me of the situation and - with my approval - just handled it. Wollam didn't charge me any extra fees, ask me a thousand questions, or try to pressure me into changing my vision. Just asked what I was confirmed what I wanted and didn't want, and then fixed it.

I'd highly recommend Wollam to anyone else looking for a floral vendor who not has sustainable growing practices, and great artistic vision, but awesome customer service and flexibility!

Sent on 07/18/2018

Jessica · Married on 08/26/2017

We spoke to Hillary once, and she immediately understood what we wanted, which was miraculous since we gave limited guidance due to knowing nothing about flowers whatsoever!
    Hillary was communicative, reliable and made us some beautiful crowns, boutonnière and table flowers.
    I would definitely recommend working with Wollam Gardens for any event and cannot sing their praises enough.

Sent on 09/10/2017

Rebecca · Married on 08/12/2017

I searched high and low in the DMV area for reasonably priced (but also beautiful) flowers for my wedding. I am beyond happy that I chose Wollam Gardens to create my wedding centerpieces, outdoor arrangements, bouquets, corsages, etc. My wedding guests raved about my flowers, which were a mix of white, cream, burgundy/marsala and blush pink stems along with muted greens. Wollam Gardens also created a 10' seeded eucalyptus garland which I placed behind my sweetheart table as a focal point. Hillary and her team were so easy to work with and accommodating in every way! I would HIGHLY suggest booking Wollam Gardens for your flower needs!

Sent on 08/20/2017

Emilie · Married on 10/08/2016

Wollam Gardens was amazing. I didn't want to spend the standard and ubiquitous 1500 on flowers when they all end up dying anyway. At Wollam Gardens, I ended up spending a third of that.

They did all our bouquets, altar pieces, and provided loose stems that we made into centerpieces. The results were AMAZING.

There are a couple caveats. 1) They only provide flowers that are in season. If you aren't picky (I only specified color) then this works perfectly. 2) You have to pick up the flowers (my venue was 10 minutes away) which can be challenging. However, they do allow you to pick it up from the DC area farmers markets that they serve.

Overall this was one of the best decisions I made and saved a lot of money!

Sent on 10/19/2016
  • Nicole

Nicole · Married on 05/30/2015

Wollam Gardens did my wedding bouquet, my sister's, and my flower girl's. They also provided us with all of our loose wedding flowers that we arranged at our wedding venue. They were great to coordinate with leading up to the wedding, their prices were GREAT, and their flowers were BEAUTIFUL. The bouquets they arranged for us were perfect!!! We picked our flowers up from a farmer's market in DC the Thursday before the wedding. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Sent on 07/21/2015

Andrea · Married on 08/31/2014

I was very happy to find Wollam Gardens. Having locally grown flowers was very important to me and I was even more excited to find they were well within my budget. I ordered 2 small arrangements, bouquets, boutonnieres, and loose flowers for my wedding. The flowers were beautiful, and I couldn’t have been happier! Jenn did an awesome job helping me choose my flowers, communicating with me and accommodating all my changes. I would highly recommend Wollam Gardens for weddings and other special occasions!

Sent on 11/23/2014

Nikisha · Married on 06/15/2013

Most people use Wollam Gardens for the flowers, but we actually used it as a venue for our wedding. I LOVED getting married at Wollam Gardens. We wanted a relaxed, laid back, backyard wedding feel, and Wollam Gardens was perfect for that. The staff is friendly and willing to do anything they can to help you and the entire property is just gorgeous with plenty of photo opps.

I had to plan my wedding from Arizona, which was difficult. I did not have a chance to actually see the venue until two days before my wedding. When I got there all of the interns (which rotate out on a 10 week basis) were more than willing to show me around and answer all my questions. I later realized that the farmhouse that I was getting ready in was actually where they lived, and they graciously opened it up without acting put out in the least. Kim who handled the sale of any flowers, helped us set up a spot to store all of our decorations and was more than willing to help me pick the perfect white bloom for my favors, which ended up being exactly what I wanted.

The farm is absolutely charming with chickens, a couple of cats that wander around, and a lovely old dog who ended up showing up for the reception. These are all things that I loved and felt added to the informal, backyard wedding that I wanted.

Sent on 07/12/2013
  • Rachary

Rachel · Married on 03/20/2010

We ordered reception centerpieces and a couple arrangements for our ceremony from Wollam/Like Water for Tulips, and they were awesome. Sarah was our contact at Wollam and she was really easy to work with and super friendly. We were on a pretty tight budget for flowers and they helped us make it work beautifully. Thank you!

Sent on 03/29/2010

Kallie · Married on 06/10/2017

I wanted to find fresh, local flowers for my wedding and a friend recommended Wollam Gardens. They do flower bouquets and flower arrangements or bulk flowers if you want to do some DIY projects. Their prices were very reasonable and we saved quite a bit by doing bulk flowers while they put together the bouquets. I didn't know what I wanted in my bouquet so I shared my color scheme and theme and my pinterest page to give them an idea of the feel I was going for. It was a total surprise what types of flowers I was going to have. They delivered to my venue the day before. That night I realized I was short a bridesmaid's bouquet so I emailed in hopes I could get it replaced in time. I got a reply first thing in the morning saying it would be there well before I needed it, and it was! I absolutely loved my flowers! Hillary did a wonderful job with the bouquets, and my assortment of bulk flowers were also beautiful. I would highly recommend them for either arrangements or bulk flowers if you are looking for locally grown flowers! The prices were even reasonable for their arrangements.

Sent on 06/24/2017

Jennifer · Married on 09/17/2011

I bought my flowers from Wollom Gardens for my DIY centerpieces and bouquets. I visited the farm a year in advance because I could - there have to be some advantages for being engaged for 20 months after all! This gave me a great feel for the flowers that would be available. If you can't get all the way out to Jeffersonton, then you can visit them at a variety of DC local farmers' markets to see their products.

On the Thursday before the Saturday wedding we drove to one of their farmers' markets in DC to pick up the flowers. They were ready and waiting for us, and I think picking them up took all of 2 minutes - I was able to prepay over the phone. The flowers were beautiful, fresh, and all in the colours I had asked for. It was a great experience, and I would recommend them highly for any brides looking to DIY their flowers and support local agriculture..

Sent on 10/31/2011

Elizabeth · Married on 04/25/2009

4.2

I purchased flowers for DIY centerpieces and serving table displays from Wollam Gardens. They are a regular vendor at my local weekly farmer's market, and I really wanted to try to use local vendors and local products (no Peruvian flowers!) for my wedding.

Wollam Gardens brought us beautiful lillies, lilac, tulips, poppies, ranunculus, and irises. They let us take their buckets (with a promise to return them at the weekend farmer's market), and advised us as to flower care. They also kindly waited around for us after the farmer's market closed so that we could retrieve the bucket of flowers we accidentally left behind (oops!).

My wedding was very casual, and we wanted a "just picked from the garden" look for the flowers. Wollam Gardens provided us with an excellent product for an excellent price.

Sent on 04/29/2009

Dave · Married on 09/16/2017

2.6
      3.0
      3.0
      2.5

You may want to consider another venue that is inclusive of the items that Wollam Gardens may not provide that you will pay extra for anyway. I can only speak from my experience for our reception. These are facts. There are no bathrooms in close proximity to the pavilion. There is a restroom in the house which may be several hundred yards away. The restrooms in the house are probably not adequate for a large wedding. Just remember, if it rains, you have a long walk through soaked gravel or wet grass to get to it. Not something you want to do with nice shoes or clothing. If you have to rent outhouses and the reception goes into the evening, you’ll need to provide light for the inside of them, or rent an upgraded portable bathroom. If the reception is larger, you’ll need to provide a tent to the side of the pavilion for weather protection. Parking is very limited. I had to travel from the main road to the pavilion with brush overgrowing into the vehicle path. The pavilion had 1 large refrigerator with the light in the top hanging down from the wires. Wollam did not provide trash removal or cleanup service. It was expected that the floor would be swept. At the end of the night we cleaned up the trash, something you don’t want to do after a reception, especially in nice clothing. You are also required to remove it from the premises. This is another fee you’ll need to incur which if combined with the toilet rental, may be better used at a full-service facility. If you choose to do it yourself, you’ll need trash bags and a crew of people and the vehicles to remove the trash. Just remember, a large wedding generates a lot of trash. I get the idea that the only thing Wollam Garden’s wants to do is just provide a small pavilion with lights and a PA system and nothing else. The communications with Wollam weren’t the best experience either. Remote location. Spend a little more and be closer to home in controlled environment. Beware.

Sent on 11/07/2017

Wollam Gardens's reply:

Dave is right that our venue is not all-inclusive, and it might not be the ideal venue for everyone. This is a beautiful, magical place, and for many couples, that is enough. We are upfront about what is and what is not included. It's important that the couple, and everyone who has a stake in the event, understands what they're responsible for before a contract is signed for things to run smoothly. Our pricing reflects what we do include, and the total spent on all accessories should be comparable to all-inclusive venues. There are solutions to all the challenges Dave mentions. First of all, the parking situation has been resolved; our parking area is now adjacent to the ceremony site. That said, this is a working flower farm, and some parts of the event may take place in, or require walking through, lawn areas, which may be wet. We do recommend that clients rent a restroom in order to have one close to the event space, and that they carefully consider upgrading to a model that will be comfortable for all guests. Renting a tent is a fact of life for most outdoor wedding venues, but our system leaves it up to the client whether they need/want to incur that expense, making Wollam Gardens an affordable option for smaller weddings. Our system allows the client to shop a la carte for accessories like tents and decor, rest rooms, etc., and not pay for more than they need.