24 Reviews for Woldumar Nature Center

Wheelchair Access (2)
Clean Up (1)
Wireless Internet (1)
24 Woldumar Nature Center Reviews

Victoria was absolutely amazing! We had seven weeks to plan our wedding and she made our experience so much easier to handle. The day of the wedding she even came over early and set up our linens and pictures for us! The venue is absolutely beautiful! Having a second floor for kids to play and extra room for vendors was very convenient. Victoria built a wonderful relationship with us, and if we could do it all over again we wouldn’t change a thing about it, except for our alcohol services they were awful. We highly recommend having your event at Woldumar.

Profile Picture Sarah, 1/13/18, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Victoria and her team were always very responsive, flexible, and a pleasure to work with. Our outdoor ceremony space had lots of natural beauty, and the reception barn and lawn provided plenty of room for our guests to spread out and explore. We had several "non-traditional" elements for our wedding, and were so happy to find a venue that not only accommodated our requests but has a staff who were truly enthusiastic about our unusual ideas! I would recommend Woldumar Nature Center for their beautiful grounds and amazing staff ready to help put together your ideal wedding - whatever that may be!

Profile Picture Jacquelyn, 10/21/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This was a wonderful experience. They are professional and helpful every step of the way. Deffinately would recommend to anyone.

Profile Picture Lauren, 10/7/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Woldumar Nature Center was great! They were very flexible with my needs and were able to accommodate last minute changes. The staff communicated well throughout the process. I wish they had a bigger refrigerator where we could have stored more ice and extra beverages. Someone had to go pick up more ice during the reception. My only other concern was the add-ons for services like coming in the night before to decorate.

Profile Picture Tasha, 9/23/17, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

Woldumar is the ideal venue for budget-conscious nature lovers. We loved that they use weddings to help fund environmental interpretive and education programs! Our ceremony in the Walnut Glen was everything we wanted and more, and the reception area in the barn barely requires additional decor as it is already beautiful! All of our guests complimented us on the beauty of the location, both indoors and out. We loved the flexibility of being able to find our own vendors. I had some TIPS-certified friends bartend, made our own reception and dance playlists and hooked my phone into the speakers, and was able to find an allergy-friendly catering company to accommodate our guests dietary needs. I highly recommend doing the photo golf cart tour and the on-site rehearsal dinner - the dinner was low-key, and the photos from around the property are breathtaking. Victoria is also great to work with, incredibly responsive and so professional.

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 9/9/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Outside Vendors, Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Lighting/Sound, Set Up, Wireless Internet

This venue is absolutely beautiful and the staff was great! I had an intern for the day of contact, which didn't seem nearly as passionate about the experience, but Victoria is amazing!

Profile Picture Megan, 9/2/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Woldumar was great! Victoria was always responsive and her staff the weekend of the wedding were great! The staff was always around for any questions. I would definitely recommend this venue to nature lovers looking for a low key venue. You will want to have helpers with your set up and take down of decorations. My family and friends were extremely helpful, so this venue worked great for us. We did the extra services package for the rehearsal dinner onsite, extra set up time on Friday, and extra take down time on Sunday. We received many compliments from guests on how great the nature center and really fit us. I loved our ceremony site at Walnut Glen. The use of the golfcart for my grandma was greatly appreciated to get her to and from the ceremony site.

Profile Picture Katie, 8/5/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Parking, Wheelchair Access, Outside Vendors, Bridal Suite, Lighting/Sound, Set Up, Uncovered Outdoor

Woldumar was perfect. Victoria and her staff were professional, helpful, kind, and extremely flexible to our quirky requests. Not to mention the grounds were absolutely beautiful. Everyone tells you, "expect something to go wrong on your wedding day." Well ours was perfect. Not one hiccup or flaw. It was truly my dream wedding.

Profile Picture jillian, 6/10/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Outside Vendors, Bridal Suite, Event Planning, Set Up, Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking

We worked with Victoria, the Woldumar wedding coordinator, throughout the planning process. She was excellent at promptly answering all of our questions and was very accommodating as far as meeting times since we weren't local. We had a perfect rustic fall wedding at Woldumar Nature Center. We had our ceremony at the Walnut Glen Amphitheater. It was the perfect choice for my husband and I since we are both "nature lovers". We had our reception in the barn and you couldn't ask for a more beautiful pace to hold a reception. We got sooooo many compliments about both the ceremony and reception locations. We did do some additional decorating, not because it needed it, but just because I had some DIY projects that I wanted to incorporate. I loved that I was able to chose my own vendors for everything...the bartender, the carter, the linen company, etc. This allows you to be budget conscious throughout the process. The venue also offers lots of different add ons (at an additional cost) including a bonfire, extra time to set-up or tear-down, or golf cart tours. We are very happy we chose Woldumar, but there were a couple of hiccups on the day of. I really wish we could have gotten into the barn a little earlier then 10 am. It makes the morning of a little hectic. Also, we added on a photo golf cart tour as well as a cocktail hour golf cart tour for our guests. The golf cart company never delivered the golf cart, so we weren't able to have either of these. The staff handled the situation professionally and refunded our money, but it was still a big disappointment. Overall, I would highly recommend the Woldumar Nature Center if you are looking for a beautiful, natural, rustic venue.

Profile Picture Michelle, 10/22/16, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Bridal Suite

Victoria and her staff we great! As nature lovers, this was exactly the type of venue we wanted for our wedding. I had a very fun, laid back feel and everyone was able to have a great time!

Profile Picture Nikki, 10/12/16, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)
4.7

We were very pleased with our ceremony and reception at Woldumar! The event coordinator, Victoria, was very accommodating, answered all my questions, and was flexible to my schedule - as we were planning the wedding long-distance. The barn is a great reception site and without any additional hanging decorations it was beautiful! That being said, there are a lot of DIY details you can add to make it a very "classy casual" event. Compared to a lot of other venues, Woldumar is very affordable. Due to little details here and there, it is evident that weddings are not it's primary function, but that wasn't an issue for us (the coordinator's assistant was in shorts and a t-shirt to greet guests, the golf cart to transport guests was a very exhausty/fumey cart, etc.). On the day-of, I think staff could be more pro-active about helping guests find the ceremony site or interacting with guests at all, but it went smoothly because I had lots of helpers from the guest list. Lastly, it was very hot on the wedding day (record highs in Lansing, lucky us!) but Woldumar rented a portable A/C unit at no additional cost. It didn't seem to do a whole lot but the wedding was a blast anyway.

Overall, I think Woldumar is a great value. Some of the advantages over other venues and why we picked Woldumar:
-You can pick any caterer you want (many sites have specific ones that really ramp up the prices for weddings)
-The natural landscaping does 99% of the decor for you! The blooming trees and green grasses were perfect
-Staff does set-up and tear-down of equipment like tables/chairs

Profile Picture User7117153, 1+ year ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our wedding at Woldumar last weekend and loved it. We had so many compliments from our guests. The ceremony was at Walnut Glen Amphitheater. My dress had a train and I didn't want wood chips stuck in it, so we put an aisle runner down the trail to the wooden platform and it worked out well- we were able to leave the aisle runner there the whole day until the ceremony in the early evening. We also had some older folks and were able to bring a couple chairs down to the site so they didn't have to sit on the benches. We had the reception in RE Olds Barn. It came with twinkle lights and paper lanterns so we didn't have to worry about a lot of other decorations. Victoria, the wedding coordinator, took us on a photo golf cart tour of the property (lasting about an hour) and it was the best part of the day. Victoria knew all of the beautiful spots for pictures. Victoria was very personable and friendly. Our bridal party enjoyed working with her.

Profile Picture Erica, 6/4/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Uncovered Outdoor, Parking, Bridal Suite

I would definitely recommend Woldumar to any couple looking to use it as a wedding/reception venue, or really to anyone looking to use Woldumar as a venue for any type of event. Victoria (and all of the staff) were amazing. They definitely all went above and beyond to make our day special! The barn was so beautifully decorated that we didn't need any decorations on the upper floor, with the twinkle lights.

Profile Picture Sara, 5/28/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Lighting/Sound, Set Up
4.2

The barn is beautiful and the deck was an awesome space to have during the reception. Victoria was so sweet and easy to work with throughout the wedding planning process. The only real big downside to this venue is the inability to set up the day before (and not even until 10AM the day of the wedding, yikes) which obviously adds a lot of stress.

Profile Picture Lauren, 5/21/16, 1 Review
4.2

They were super friendly and accommodating. I LOVED the ceremony site! The amphitheater in the woods was gorgeous. It couldn't accommodate much more than 130 people but that was just the right size for us. The barn for the reception was a little rough around the edges but looked so beautiful once it was decorated. It was just what I was looking for in a venue. We also loved the fact that we could supply our own alcohol. This way we could serve top shelf drinks for much less than top shelf prices. In the end, I couldn't be happier with our choice in venue!!!!!

Profile Picture Ashley, 5/7/16, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Woldumar provided table set-up & lighting décor, options for vendors, Bridal Suite, golf cart assistance to and from ceremony site.
Victoria Churchill, venue coordinator assisted promptly with all questions, concerns, along with openness to walk through the venue as needed. The venue options at Woldumar Nature Center are endless to make it your own unique experience.
Make sure that you have willing family & friends (or vendors) to assist in the set up & break down of the ceremony and reception areas. Anything can be done with a great village.
The golf cart picture tour was wonderful - having time after the ceremony with my husband and I, photographer & Victoria guiding us through the nature trails was a perfect touch.
Woldumar Nature Center & Victoria Churchill, venue coordinator has been a pleasure to work with & is highly recommended to any Bride who is looking for a naturally beautiful wedding.

Profile Picture User4988232, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Lighting/Sound, Uncovered Outdoor
0.6

While the venue is physically gorgeous, this organization exhibited extremely poor skills in the way that they communicate with clients and prepare for events. A few days prior to our wedding, they informed us offhand that the room that the bride and bridesmaids were to get ready was not available. They offered an alternate, small room that was messy but they assured us would be cleaned out by our arrival on the wedding day. When we arrived, it was cluttered with an air hockey table, kids' activities, and dust - overall a mess. Staff did not know where the AV resources we had reserved from them were located. They repeatedly barged into the room where the bride was preparing, with the wedding less than an hour away, to ask questions. The cherry on top was when their new Director snapped at the bride that she had not looked at our contract so didn't know what they had promised us, and threatened to cancel our wedding if we did not respond to all of their unexpected changes in the way that they would prefer.

Finally, items in our wedding package were cancelled (one due to our plans and one due to their golf cart being "out of order"), and our outstanding balance was never refunded to us.

This venue should not be offering wedding venue services, period.

Profile Picture Tristen, 10/19/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We held our ceremony outdoors at Woldumar Nature Center, followed by cocktail hour outside of the barn, and our reception was held in the RE Olds Anderson Rotary Barn. The Nature Center is non-profit and is not around just for weddings, so if you are okay with doing a lot of the work yourself this is one amazing place to hold a wedding. The event coordinator is quick to answer questions and provide information, and the coordinator that helped us the day of was incredibly helpful. She helped with any issues we had, was around at all times and made the day run very smoothly. This venue is beautiful, so if you are interested in something unique that you can make your own, this is the place.

Profile Picture Kersti, 8/30/14, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I just got married at Woldumar last week and it was AMAZING! Everything looked so beautiful. We live in Los Angeles and Kevin and Lauren made planning the wedding so much easier. They were quick to respond to any questions I had and when we were in town were accommodating any time we wanted to come look at the site again. Their crew set everything up exactly how we wanted and even the night security was great! It rained on my wedding and we couldn't use the Walnut Glen location like we had wanted but the barn was amazing for both the wedding and reception. And after the ceremony, when the rain cleared, Kevin took my husband and I and our photographer around to some gorgeous sites for photos. It's an amazing property and I would not only come back just to hike or enjoy the site I would recommend it to any future bride looking for an awesome location!

Profile Picture Monica, 10/17/13, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Woldumar Nature Center is a beautiful location for a wedding. We had our reception in the barn but had our ceremony elsewhere. They are a nature center primarily, and so you shouldn't expect to get emails and phone calls back immediately. Weddings aren't their main business, although I know they are hiring some additional staff to help out in this area.

My husband and I loved having our wedding there. It was a beautiful, natural setting. The staff set up and break down the tables. They hung lights for us that were just beautiful. There is a lovely deck off the top floor which provided a nice place to enjoy some fresh air and take a break from dancing. We had about 80 guests and we felt the space was so perfect and not crowded. We thought we might have as many as 120, and it probably can fit that many, although it will be tight then. We had lots of room for all night dancing.

They have very reasonable rates and you can bring in your own caterer and bar service. We loved that flexibility because it helped us save more money. We also wanted very specific alcohol so this gave us the chance to get exactly what we wanted. I highly recommend Woldumar - we also really lucked out weather-wise, so perhaps I'm biased.

Profile Picture User3324170, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Woldumar Nature Center was a wonderful place to hold our wedding, they were very friendly and were willing to work with my unique wedding requests. The space is gorgeous, its the perfect place to have a rustic wedding or if you want a barn reception. Very happy with our decision!

Profile Picture Brittney, 2/25/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Woldumar Nature Center staff was very helpful and flexible. We were in and out setting up and cleaning up Friday-Sunday and they were very helpful the entire time. The location is so lovely, with tons of great photo spots on the trails. For the price and the flexibility of being able to bring in your own vendors, Woldumar is unbeatable!

Profile Picture Sarah, 10/23/10, 5 Reviews
3.7

Overall, it was a great experience. Everything went quite smoothly the day of--we had the wedding in front of the Moon Lodge and the reception in the barn. The only major complaint by wedding guests was the lack of air conditioning, which we should have thought of, given that it was August in Michigan! But... We were assured that as long as we did everything correctly, we'd get our deposit back ($400, I believe). We were even told that no one had ever NOT gotten their deposit back. We were very thorough and put everything back as good or better as it was, and a few days later, we were told that the caterer's equipment had left a burn mark on the kitchen counters and so they would be keeping our deposit to replace all the counters. No one recalled a burn mark, but we were gracious and backed down. Recently, my mother attended an event there, and to her surprise, the counters had still not been replaced.

Unfortunately, that tainted our entire experience and satisfaction with Woldumar. Recently, a friend of mine who wanted to hold her wedding there asked me about our experience, and she will not be having her wedding there now that I shared what happened. It's really a shame, because it truly is a beautiful place, and if it weren't for that, I'd have nothing but rave reviews to give.

Profile Picture Ann, 8/14/10, 2 Reviews
4.3

Woldumar is a beautiful venue at a very affordable price. They don't do a lot of weddings, so their supplies are limited (tables, chairs, etc). Perfect for anyone who doesn't mind figuring everything out on their own.

Profile Picture Erin, 4/24/09, 7 Reviews