William Aiken House Reviews

43 Reviews for William Aiken House

• Kimberly

Kimberly · Married on 10/21/2019

Southern Charm

My husband and I booked the William Aiken House for our fall wedding about a week ago. The venue itself is a perfect example of historical and charming Charleston, SC. The rooms in the house are gorgeous and make for beautiful photos. We were blessed with amazing weather and made great use of the verandas, the courtyard, gardens, and the lots in front of the carriage house! Everything about it was just incredible.
    I had the pleasure of working with the Rachels and Abby, and they helped make the day of my dreams become a reality! We booked the venue almost 14 months before our actual wedding date - we fell in love with it and knew instantly that this is where we wanted to have our wedding. Obviously, booking that far in advance things definitely change - the catering menu got a little more refined. I panicked because I did not know how this would translate into the vision I had at the start - Rachel immediately reassured me and was able to work with me to create a menu that would fit the southern fare theme we were going for. The tasting was out of this world and we immediately knew that going with PPHG was the best decision! Abby stepped in and along with the Rachels she helped shaped my day into the most special day of my life. The cake artist, Jessica, worked with us to fit the exact vision of a cake that we wanted - and it was seriously some of the best cake that we have ever had!
    From the setting to the food, this place has it all. It even has separate rooms, and when I needed a moment, or when a mom needed a moment, they were able to relax. You cannot go wrong here - it is truly one of the most beautiful places in Charleston! The food is absolutely incredible, and we are still getting compliments on it. I would highly recommend PPHG and the team at the William Aiken House to help you make your wedding dreams a reality!

Sent on 10/28/2019

Sarah · Married on 09/28/2019

A gorgeous historic building that is quintessential Charleston in the midst of downtown!

When my husband and I started researching Wedding Venues in Charleston, we knew that we wanted something "Charlestonian" as many of our guests would be from out of town and we wanted to give them a Charleston experience. When we set foot onto the William Aiken House grounds, we knew it was the place. It is a simply gorgeous venue with a perfect location. It is right on King street, which allowed our guests to continue to party across the street once our wedding was over and also allowed them to be within walking distance of the hotels where we had wedding blocks. It couldn't have been easier for them! Furthermore, more of a logistics point, getting married in Charleston in the midst of Hurricane season is risky, to say the least. WAH provided us with indoor and outdoor space that would allow us to have a back up plan if we were blessed with rain during our day - fortunately we were not :) It has a room on the second floor that is perfect for getting ready in, and it has two carriage houses that are connected to it that you can rent out for the night before or after (or both) your wedding which is super convenient and they are beautiful!

Aside from its beauty and literally perfect location, WAH is owned by Patrick Properties Hospitality Group and thus, there is in house catering and organization. I cannot say enough good things about PPHG. From the moment that we stepped foot onto the William Aiken House property, we were treated so wonderfully. Rachel did a fantastic job showing us the grounds and answering all of the thousands of questions I had at the time and in the months to come. I must have emailed her a million times a day with "one last question" and she always responded quickly and friendly! Once we signed on to have our wedding at WAH, we were connected with Kailin, who started us at our tasting and ran everything on our wedding day. Let me tell you about KAILIN. From the moment we met her at the tasting, I could tell she loved what she was doing, and loved helping people have the most perfect day for their wedding day. She gave us great recommendations on things that paired well with each other and what guest "favorites" tended to be depending on the time of year. Similar to Rachel, she answered a billion questions and patiently changed my menu over and over again as I couldn't make up my mind about things! On the day of my wedding, she came up to me after we arrived after the ceremony and immediately asked me if I needed anything. The group had placed hor dourves in the upstairs room for my bridal party to eat before our entrance as we were all starving!! Dinner was delicious and the entire night, everywhere I looked, anyone who wanted a drink in their hand had one. As a bride, you don't hear much about the wedding until after it. I cannot tell you how many of my guests repeatedly commented on two things that are a direct reflection of PPHG: 1.) the quality of the food was to die for. from the hor dourves to the crab cakes and short ribs to the wedding cake and the gelato bar, people LOVED the food. And I can say my husband and I were given some extra meals to go home with and we were able to enjoy it again and again for a couple of days!! and 2. my guests could not stop commenting on the professionalism, punctuality, and fluidity with which the staff conducted cocktail hour, dinner, and dessert, and the bar. Furthermore, and most importantly, many of my guests commented on how KIND and friendly all of the servers were. Rachel and Kailin, along with the rest of the PPHG staff, made my guests feel welcome and guaranteed they would have a good time (which is what was most important to me as a bride) and they made my wedding day an absolute dream. I'm sure that there may have been snafus somewhere (like all weddings), but I certainly never heard of any, and that is a direct reflection of the quality of the personnel and the hospitality with which this company conducts its work. If you are looking to get married in the Charleston Area, look no further than WAH and Patrick Properties - it really will be the best day of your life.

Sent on 11/15/2019

James F. · Married on 12/02/2018

LOVE THEM. 15 out of 10!

The venue, the staff, the management team are AMAZING. They put on one hell of a wedding. Food is delicious!

Sent on 12/03/2018

Veronica · Married on 08/30/2018

Kailin and Rachel were awesome! They were very flexible, accommodating and professional for my daughter's wedding. Our guests could not stop talking about how wonderful and beautiful the ambiance of the venue. The food was superb, the cake was not only gorgeous, it tasted sooooo good! Jessica, our pastry chef is the best! Thanks to everyone at WAH for part of a team to help me make my daughter's dream wedding come true.

Sent on 09/08/2018

Heather · Married on 05/27/2018

We recently got married at The William Aiken House, a Patrick Properties Hospitality Group property. The venue and PPHG team were an absolute dream to work with. The historic home and property were absolutely stunning and well maintained by PPHG. While getting married in Charleston, SC was a destination wedding for us, the team at PPHG worked with our travel schedule to best accommodate us for tastings and tours. In specific, Carly and Jackie from PPHG were incredibly friendly and professional, answering all of our questions leading up to the wedding, and were on hand all day during the wedding day to assist in any way possible. With some last minute rain on our wedding day, Carly was able to work with our wedding planners to quickly adjust our ceremony and reception layout to ensure our guests were kept dry throughout a gorgeous evening. In addition, the catering provided by PPHG was phenomenal. One of the biggest compliments we have heard from our guests was how much they enjoyed our station-style southern menu. From appetizers, main courses and late night food, PPHG delivered unforgettable food that far surpassed our expectations. I would certainly recommend PPHG and The William Aiken House to any bride looking to get married in Charleston!

Sent on 07/05/2018

Jennifer · Married on 04/14/2017

I've loved this building as long as I can remember and there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to get married here. The grounds are pristine and the inside is colorful and stunning.

We got so many complements about our venue from guests.

Sent on 05/04/2017
  • Hayley

Hayley · Married on 02/25/2017

We booked our wedding with William Aiken House and we couldn't be happier we did! We fell in love with the property from the moment we had our first tour with Jackie, and her accommodations throughout the entire process, and our event manager Abigail could not have been more responsive, helpful, and over-all awesome. Our guests LOVED the uniqueness and location of the venue. The layout was so perfect and made for a fun and memorable night. The food was phenomenal!! We have received so many compliments on the food, and one of my husband and I's favorite memories from our engagement was doing the tasting for the wedding because the food is incredible!! You will not regret having your wedding here!! They will work with your budget and ensure that you have the best wedding you could ever imagine!

Sent on 03/28/2017

Kimberly · Married on 05/22/2016

Thank you to Amber, Tabitha, and the entire staff at the William Aiken House for giving me the fairytale wedding of my dreams!

My husband and I are from Detroit and had a destination wedding in Charleston this May. From the moment I saw the William Aiken House it was love at first site. The WAH had EVERYTHING I was looking for in a wedding venue for 150 guests: a fabulous location in the historic district close to our hotel, space for an outdoor ceremony on a beautifully manicured lawn and indoor ballrooms for dinner and mingling that rivaled any historic mansion I'd ever seen.

From the moment my wedding planners and I started working with Amber and Tabitha, we knew we were in good hands. They were so organized and responsive and most importantly sweet! As an out-of-town bride there was so much to coordinate including numerous rentals for the venue, but the WAH ladies put me at ease and helped me stay within my budget.

Beyond the sheer beauty of the house and grounds and the impeccable southern hospitality the staff provides, book this venue if you want the most delicious wedding catering you've ever tasted! I'm not joking when I say that the tasting was my husband's favorite part of the whole process. The food at our wedding and farewell brunch (at Patrick Property's Fish Restaurant) was absolutely divine. Our guests are still raving about it! The best part is that the chefs work with you to build custom dishes if you desire, which included chocolate chip cookie sandwiches with homemade cookie dough ice cream for me.

Also, if the Carriage Suites are available the night of your wedding, consider renting them for lodging! The suites are large and gorgeously decorated and it was so special to stay on the WAH grounds where we were married.

If you are lucky enough to book a date at this 5-star venue, you will not regret it for a minute. It's truly one of the most exquisite wedding venues in the country.

Sent on 09/21/2016

Jordan · Married on 10/22/2015

Dream wedding! One of the best venues in Charleston.

Sent on 11/17/2015

Katie · Married on 09/19/2015

There is a reason that WAH is one of the most well-known wedding venues in Charleston. Patrick Properties Group went above and beyond to ensure that every part of our wedding day went off without a hitch. I still get comments from friends and family that our wedding food from Fish was some of the best they've ever had, and Rachel (our coordinator) was so helpful with last-minute changes.

Sent on 10/26/2015

Sara · Married on 05/15/2015

The William Aiken House provided the perfect venue for our marriage! It was absolutely perfect and the staff was amazing and accommodating. I got more compliments on the food at my wedding than I could have imagined...it really was delicious! I highly recommend the William Aiken House to anyone looking to get married in downtown Charleston.

Sent on 06/01/2015

Amy · Married on 02/28/2015

My husband and I were looking for a unique wedding venue beyond the usual ballroom and golf course weddings we had been accustomed to for our destination wedding. After visiting several wedding venues in and around Charleston and being underwhelmed with the choices we fell in love with the William Aiken House shortly after walking in. The inside of the house provided a perfect backdrop for our cocktail hour and dinner portion while the outdoor space was perfect for a reception even in late February. The food was outstanding and the service was top notch. Tabitha and the event staff made everything very easy and were a pleasure to work with. For anyone thinking about getting married in Charleston we would highly recommend the William Aiken House and Patrick Properties

Sent on 07/25/2015

We knew from the moment we first stepped foot on the property that we were going to have our wedding at the William Aiken House. The ceremony and reception were above and beyond our admittedly very high expectations. Dealing with Patrick Properties was wonderful; they made the full process from the first visit through the tasting to the "day of" coordination a breeze. Some of the highlights:
    - Excellent organization of the tasting and site visit.
    - The pastry chef did a wonderful job with the cake, and delivered exactly what we were looking for.
    - The food at the wedding was amazing. Not "amazing for wedding food", but amazing even by the high standards of the surrounding restaurants in Charleston.

Overall,this venue could not have been more perfect; both the William Aiken House and Patrick Properties are highly recommended.

Sent on 01/25/2015

Jillian · Married on 05/24/2014

Sarah and Margaret at the William Aiken House were an amazing team to work with! The venue is beautiful and exactly what we were looking for for our Charleston wedding. We knew we wanted to be downtown and wanted a venue that embodied the formal Charleston style with our relaxed vibe. Going with Patrick Properties we knew any event would be phenomenal. The William Aiken House gave us a beautiful historic home, walking distance from hotels with a large outdoor area that would offer us a party under the stars. It was everything we dreamed of and more. The venue exceeded my expectations and offered us a blank canvas that we could design as we wished. There are so many wonderful ways to use that venue that you can truly personalize your day!

The food, drinks and service were exceptional. Margaret, our event manager, was there the entire evening and made sure that my guests and I had everything we could have needed. Trusting my event to her and Patrick Properties allowed me to enjoy every second of my wedding which I did! Go check out the venue, you won't be able to leave without booking!

Sent on 07/08/2014

Allison · Married on 05/23/2014

I could not have imagined a more perfect place to get married! The William Aiken House and the staff at Patrick Properties were absolutely amazing. Every photo taken at the romantic William Aiken House was stunning because of the way the rooms are all decorated. My bridal party and I got ready upstairs while my husband and his groomsmen waited downstairs. The best part about this venue is the versatility. You could get married in front of the carriage house (like I did) or under the pergola in front of the pond, etc. Whatever your vision, you will be able to create it at The William Aiken House. The staff at Patrick Properties, specifically Jackie Willis and Sarah Copeland were a pleasure to work with. They were both extremely attentive and professional and made everything very easy. I would also highly recommend staying in the carriage house the night before and of the wedding. It is a beautiful condo that makes the whole experience that much better. I truly don't have enough positive things to say about this Venue - it made all my wedding dreams come true!

Sent on 06/17/2014
  • Collin

Collin · Married on 10/12/2013

My husband and I were so pleased with our wedding at The William Aiken House. Our sales manager was Amber Cote, and she was fabulous. Everyone at WA is so great, and helpful. Not to mention the venue is amazing! The house itself is breathtaking, and the outdoor spaces are absolutely beautiful. We opted for food stations, rather than a sit down dinner, as we had 200 guests. With stations you can only do 50% seating, but it worked perfectly because they open for two hours (and most of our friends wanted to stay at cocktail hour longer anyways). The stations were a hit, and the food was beyond amazing. The chef can prepare ANY type of food you can imagine. They provide about a 4 page list of food ideas, and then you pick some options for the tasting. They can also customize food, which was great for us because some people in our families have food allergies. We received endless compliments on how delicious the food was. We got married under the big oak tree - beautiful backdrop! Everything at WA flows really nicely... it's a spacious venue but also feels very intimate. LOVE.

We also chose to rent out the two carriage houses - one for my girls and I to get ready & to use as the "honeymoon suite" and then for the other one, we had babysitters come and watch kids (we didn't have kids at the wedding reception). The carriage houses are stunning!

Another note is that although it is right on King Street (which initially I didn't like), you don't hear traffic or people on the street. If you're partying down like we were, it's Charleston that will be hearing you ;) The location was great for choosing downtown hotels, as most guests were able to walk to/from the venue or take rickshaws. Plus, if you or your guests want to go out afterwards, you're right in the center of downtown! Definitely check out The William Aiken House! We also used The Burlap Elephant for our event coordinator and our band was Ben Fagan & The Charleston Groove Factory - both amazing!

Sent on 12/12/2013

Anand · Married on 02/24/2013

We already knew we were getting our dream venue in William Aiken House, but on our wedding day we were still surprised by the beauty of the William Aiken House and all the little touches.

Why did we pick it? Location, functionality, and beauty. It is in the heart of Charleston and walking distance from hotels. With use of the mansion and the grounds, we could set up four venues in one: the outdoor ceremony area, the open DJ tent, the lounge in front of the carriage house, and the inside of the mansion itself. When you walk in off the street, you forget you're in the downtown area. Stunning.

Part of the deal is that if you use the William Aiken House, you have to use their caterer. This is a very, very good thing. The food blew our guests away...the Indian food station using my Mom's recipes was really well done (the eggplant dish was sooo spicy...excellent!)...other food highlights included the late night chicken on a biscuit, the pimiento cheese (better than Magnolia's), and the beef carving station. As a bonus, we had no idea the delicious s'mores station would have a fire pit!

We heard oohs and ahhs from friends and family all night. Most telling, the moms no longer seemed to care that the ceremony wasn't at a church.

Our main contact, Amber Cote, was a pro throughout the whole process. When she said something or gave your opinion on what we should do, we could take it to the bank. She knew what we wanted before we did!

To make a long story longer, it was the best wedding venue we've ever been to and the best wedding food we've ever eaten -- by far.

Sent on 03/11/2013

The William Aiken House was a historically magical site for our wedding reception!

Sent on 09/09/2013

Tamra · Married on 10/12/2012

I would give them more stars if I could. Beautiful venue, delicious food and impeccable service. My daughter's wedding far exceeded my expectations.

Sent on 10/19/2012

Jennifer · Married on 08/04/2012

Most beautiful venue in Charleston! Meghan Trotter and her team were very responsive to emails and very helpful with menu selection and changes. The house and grounds provided a gorgeous backdrop for the wedding photographs. All our guests remarked that it was one of the most beautiful venues that they had ever been to for a wedding!

Sent on 08/08/2012

Rowena · Married on 07/21/2012

I could go on and on about how beautiful the William Aiken House is, but you already knew that from looking at the pictures. I could also tell you that the house and grounds are even more stunning when you see it in person, but you could probably figure that out too.

So why don’t I tell you about the amazing people, the ridiculously yummy food and the excellent level of service that I received throughout my wedding planning process.

I lucked out in having a wedding for July in Charleston because WAH was doing a summer promotion with 50% off the location fee. So, a big bonus to start. And sure, in order to book at WAH, you have to use their in-house caterer Fish Restaurant. But that is a WONDERFUL thing. Not only will you have one less vendor to worry about, the food is incredible. We did the Lowcountry Buffet and it was simply perfection. It’s been 2 weeks since my wedding and my guests are still raving about how amazing everything tasted.

Sarah and Margaret, and everyone behind the scenes at WAH made the whole process just so easy. From choosing the date to the proposal/contract to the tasting to finalizing the wedding day details, they were always just on top of it all, and super fun to work with. We booked the Carriage House suite for the day/night of the wedding – and it was (as expected) beautifully appointed and exactly what we needed. The William Aiken House is a spectacular location for a Charleston wedding, and the people behind the scenes made it a dream wedding for me.

Sent on 08/05/2012

Emily · Married on 07/14/2012

This place is stunning! It is hard not to fall in love with it! We were married and had our reception here. They were very easy to work with. The food was incredible! They were also very responsive to all of my questions. Highly recommend!

Sent on 07/31/2012
  • User2069640 · 2+ years ago

We had a jaw-droppingly breathtaking, traditional Southern wedding. The William Aiken House had us at hello. I fell in love with it at first sight on the website and knew it was the place we would have our wedding reception, but seeing it in person was just beyond...it's a huge venue yet feels very intimate. It's exceptionally dynamic, as you have a flow between indoor and outdoors spaces, from grand ballrooms to courtyards and labyrinths. It's like a hybrid of Italy (where I had lived previously) and the deep South in terms of atmosphere.

The staff, including Sarah Copeland and Margaret Roberts, are absolutely consummate professionals, and they are committed to total perfection on your wedding day. They were a joy to work with from our first tour to the wonderfully fun tasting to our delightful, joyous reception.

I looked at several venues even though I had my heart set on WAH, and although there were certainly less expensive/less exclusive options in the Charleston area, nothing compares to the beauty of the William Aiken House.

Our reception was structured as follows:

- An outdoor reception in the front courtyard with succulent hors d'oevres
    - A seated dinner indoors, using the grand ballroom, green room and verandah
    - A cake cutting in the downstairs blue room
    - Dancing under a tent in the oyster tabby area
    - Drinks/lounge in front of the carriage house

It was the most beautiful day of my life, and the girls at WAH made it an absolute pleasure. Encore! I'm ready to renew my vows and book this venue again!!!

Sent on 07/05/2012

Tori · Married on 06/03/2012

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! You cannot beat the location and how amazing this house is. Perfect venue for a wedding with a wonderful and helpful staff! Would book this venue again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 07/03/2012

Joanie · Married on 02/11/2012

Our daughter’s recent wedding at the William Aiken House exceeded all of our expectations. The home and grounds were beautiful, the food was delicious, and we could not be happier with the venue for the wedding and reception. The “team” at the William Aiken House is amazing; easy to work with, talented, creative, enthusiastic, and flexible. The location on King Street is perfect; our numerous out of town guests all stayed in hotels within an easy walk. The rehearsal dinner was held at Fish Restaurant; the food was outstanding and the servers were attentive and did a great job. The Saturday evening ceremony took place in front of the Carriage House on the property, and that area easily held our 95 guests. The two suites in the Carriage House were rented by our family and the groom's family, and both suites were beautiful and roomy. It was great being able to stay right on the grounds. (They are roomier than they appear the website, and they look great on the website.) When our daughter and son-in-law said that they loved their wedding, and it far exceeded their expectations….well, what more could a parent ask for? We highly recommend the William Aiken House.

Sent on 02/18/2012