Whitehall Estate Reviews

205 Reviews for Whitehall Estate

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

205 Whitehall Estate Reviews

Kallie · Getting married on 11/10/2018

I stumbled upon Whitehall Manor after recommendation from a photographer. To say I was blown away by this site is a huge understatement. I immediately contacted Douglas and set up a visit.

That same day we visited multiple site, but nothing compared to Whitehall. I called my parents that afternoon and asked their permission to book the venue. Since we were not able to sign a contract that day, I asked Douglas if we could set up another date for my parents to come out and he had no problem holding our date until that time.

We booked Whitehall for our wedding and the planning took off from there. The venue gives such inspiration and is so beautiful that I knew there wouldn't be too much to do because of the already existing beauty of the property.

I attended my first tasting in 2009. The food was amazing! I sat there with my brother and ran through the entire menu, but we could not make our selection because we really did love everything. During the tasting Douglas came over multiple times to see if we had any questions and to just check in on us. Even during a group tasting, I still felt that I was given personal attention...which I loved.

Since we were unable to decide on our menu, we went to another tasting in the months leading up to the wedding. This time I had my mother, brother and husband with me. Their faces and comments were priceless during the tasting. They were all amazed with the food and the presentation. At the end of the tasting we were able to pick out most of the menu and also decide on table linens.

In the few weeks leading up to the wedding I spoke with Douglas quite often. He was always very responsive to my emails and phone calls and I always felt comfortable making decisions.

The venue the day of my wedding was PERFECT! Thankfully the weather cooperated and we were able to have our ceremony outside. With the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background, the blooming flowers, and the beautiful mansion behind us; it was picture perfect.

From the ceremony to the cocktail hour to the reception, everything went perfectly. The staff was really on top of it and made all of my guests happy.

I still recieve compliments about the Whitehall and how beautiful of a venue it was for the wedding. All of our family and friends from out of town could not believe that such a place existed. It felt like it was right out of a story book, and I am thankful that I can look back on my wedding and picture myself getting married on the lawn of Whitehall Manor. Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.

Thank you to everyone from Whitehall for making my wedding day perfect. I could not have asked for a better venue and more beautiful location. AWESOME!

Karen · Married on 10/06/2018

I'll start by saying that I initially emailed Douglas for information at about 7:30pm and he emailed me back in about 30 minutes. Douglas is very responsive, a straight shooter, and accommodating to our vision. He and his chef helped us prepare a completely custom menu for our wedding- we are big foodies- and it was amazing!!! Our guests were very complementary of the food. Their waitstaff was also purely incredible- we were offered drinks and food immediately after the ceremony, they served everyone efficiently, and filled water glasses all evening- which is greatly needed when dancing the night away. We had our ceremony outside at the gazebo, which was beautiful, and had a indoor/outdoor cocktail hour. The fire pit was going during the reception and several people went to chill outside. Everything was fantastic and we cannot recommend Whitehall enough.

Susie · Married on 06/23/2018

We chose to get married at Whitehall because it is absolutely stunning, the views are amazing, and the catering is on site! Everyone was raving all night about how amazing the food was and how beautiful the venue was! I couldn't have asked for more! Douglas was very easy to communicate with and work with throughout the planning process. Highly recommend Whitehall for any brides looking to get married and feel completely comfortable in the venue. They even have an upstairs room for the groomsmen and groom and a bridal suite area for the bride and bridesmaids! Loved everything about the venue. On the day of, Francisco was ABSOLUTELY amazing!!! He was so attentive and was paying attention to everything going on around him. We were so thankful to have such an awesome, accomodating staff working there!!

Kathryn · Married on 05/05/2018

We had the most perfect wedding day imaginable at Whitehall Estate. Our guests have told us repeatedly that this was the best wedding they have ever attended. Douglas and the staff were incredible - the food was delicious, we never saw a line at the bar, and everything was timed perfectly to keep the evening moving along at a fun pace. The staff even made sure that we actually got to taste our hors d'oeuvres and drinks at the cocktail hour. Despite weather challenges (it poured rain), we wouldn't have changed a thing. Douglas kept us informed while making a decision on the weather, and we were so pleased with how it worked out - having the ceremony indoors was beautiful and the breakdown was so quick between ceremony and reception. Our wedding planning process was also completely stress-free from start to finish. Whitehall handles everything - catering, tables, linens, and even did an ice cream sundae bar for us in lieu of wedding cake! We would 100% recommend Whitehall to anyone who is looking for a gorgeous, scenic, relaxed wedding with amazing food and a great party.

Theresa · Married on 04/21/2018

Douglas and his team are amazing! The wedding venue is outstanding. Whitehall Estate is surrounded by a beautiful landscape. It is really breathtaking. The reception hall contains these great floor to ceiling windows. Above the dance floor there are hanging twinkle lights. There is a separate but connected room for cutting the cake, the bar area, and where guests enter to grab their table cards. In the main part of the Estate is where the bride and groom get ready on separate floors. The staff were very attentive the whole day, even during the family photos in which they served us cocktails and appetizers. The staff were nice, dressed appropriately, and very friendly. The food was amazing! The dinner choices we selected for our guest to choose from were filet mignon, chicken with a madeira wine sauce, crab cakes, and quinoa with mediterranean vegetables for those that have specific dietary needs. We also had a selection of appetizers. I have an intolerance to MSG so Douglas and the chefs checked all of the ingredients to ensure I wasn't going to get ill. I really appreciated that. There are wonderful vineyards and breweries in the area for your guests to go to. Lots of hotels, house rentals, and B&Bs within 10 to 20 minutes away. We are so grateful for a wonderful day. Thank you Douglas and team!

Emily · Married on 10/28/2017

I cannot say enough good things about Doug and his team at Whitehall! They were some of my favorite vendors from my wedding in October and they made everything so special! The property at Whitehall is exquisitely maintained and has a grand feel to it without being stuffy. The new ballroom where we held our dinner reception has big windows that allow a lot of natural light and keep a romantic atmosphere (as opposed to a claustrophobic ballroom environment you would get from a hotel). We easily fit 150 guests at a mixture of round tables and farm tables and everyone complimented us on the amazing food! We created our own appetizer- a Southern inspired biscuit with a piece of fried chicken and drizzled with honey- but my favorite was the fig and brie tart!
    The outdoor space is what sold Whitehall for us- we had an outdoor cocktail hour with fire pits, outdoor games like cornhole, and passed hors d'oeuvres and drinks but they have this old historic caboose where we shot a lot of our group pictures. The setting is bucolic and ideal- we loved being shaded by the giant hickory trees but having the freedom to take pictures by the horse fences and fields all while capturing the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background! We loved that the whole estate is open- our guests explored the historic house and played card games or sat and had actual conversations while others were out on the dance floor in the new addition. It provided a lot of flexibility for our guests!
    I also loved that they don't nickel and dime you- a lot of his fees are waived or included in the base price so you won't end up shelling out a lot of money at the end. Whitehall was amazing- from start to finish!

Whitehall Estate 1
    Whitehall Estate 6
    Whitehall Estate 7
    Whitehall Estate 8

Catelyn · Married on 09/09/2017

Whitehall Estate is a BEAUTIFUL venue! If you like the updated-historic-home look, this is your venue. Both the building and the grounds are great for a wedding in the 100-150 guest range. The house has several 'rooms' which works well for appearing to have multiple event spaces, getting ready before the ceremony, and a quiet place for older guests to relax (if needed). Doug is the event manager and is super proactive, responsive and accommodating. Once we visited Whitehall, we knew we were done shopping for venues. One thing to note that due to the location, hotels are about 20-30 minutes away (so we opted to offer bus transportation for our guests), but there is a lot of parking available at the venue.

Whitehall Estate 9
    Whitehall Estate 10

Arley · Married on 08/04/2017

We originally choose Whitehall because it was our favorite venue that was pretty all-inclusive (includes catering, mixers for the bar - you bring your own alcohol, linens, silverware, china, wait staff, and set up/tear down help) and also had the best rain plan for our desired outdoor ceremony. But every interaction since then made us love Whitehall even more! The food at the tasting was great, Douglas was INCREDIBLY helpful with our tons of questions and inquiries. He went out of his way to get us quick responses to all our questions, and try as we might, we couldn’t seem to find any question he couldn’t answer. Douglas is a consummate professional and he/his team can tackle anything! We brought in our own wedding arch and they were totally accommodating. And the space is BEAUTIFUL…

Then we got to our wedding day and we were completely BLOWN AWAY. A bridesmaid and a few of our guests are gluten free and so the Whitehall staff CONSTANTLY made sure there was food they could eat all throughout. They really went above and beyond! The staff was amazing and constantly offering help or beverages to guests (bonus points - they took awesome care of the bride and groom when we decided to have dinner early). We had signature cocktails and they had them ready and waiting, on trays for delivery, as soon as the ceremony was over— the wedding party and our guests loved it! Then there was the actual food during the wedding— IT WAS BETTER THAN AT OUR TASTING. People are still raving to me about the food weeks later, and these are people that I know and love for being serious food snobs. Seriously, Whitehall helped make me the most stress-free bride ever. We used a lot of their preferred vendors (they provide recommendations for seemingly every part of the wedding, and their recommended vendors work at Whitehall often) and I loved every single one of them. Everything was so seamless and perfect. I hope to never get married again— but I would return to Whitehall in heartbeat.

Jessica · Married on 07/03/2017

This place and its staff is the whole package. From the food to the venue to the staff, everything is just perfect. They are very attentive and accommodating to the guest and especially to the bridal party/ bride and groom. Francisco was fabulous and helped organize everything the day of and the whole catering staff was on point.
    There was a small inside window that one of our guests accidentally cracked while getting a little too crazy on the dance floor. The staff took care of it without telling my husband or I (I didn't even find out until the next day when my friend texted me an apology) and they did not charge us either! Douglas was so great to work with in planning the day. It really could not have gone better. Highly recommend!

Kerry · Married on 07/02/2017

Whitehall was the perfect place for my July wedding. The trees provide cooling shade for outdoor ceremonies, and the food was to die for. Very professional staff, extremely courteous and attentive. Highly recommend!

pamela · Married on 06/11/2017

We just had our wedding at Whitehall and all our guests were raving about what a great venue it was and how beautiful it was. We chose Whitehall because it had the whole package- good food, great indoor and outdoor space, and most importantly was a private venue. Douglas is great to work with and very responsive. Our guests loved the food and no one went hungry! They only do weddings there and you can tell they know their stuff. Awesome experience and I would highly recommend the venue!

Jennifer · Married on 06/03/2017

I cannot say enough about Whitehall and how amazing a venue it was! When looking for a venue last year, I saw Whitehall and decided to make an appointment right away. As soon as we got there and saw how stunning it was and spoke with Douglas, who is just amazing, I was set and didn't want to look any further. The venue is beyond picturesque and fortunately we had great weather, but even if you don't, their reception hall can double into a ceremony hall and it's beautiful. The food is outstanding and the service was impeccable. Douglas is super responsive and there for every question and will get back to you in lightning speed. This place only does weddings so you can be assured that everything there will be just about flawless and it runs like a well-oiled machine. We seriously had the most perfect day, and people couldn't stop commenting on how good the food, venue, staff were at Whitehall. Highly recommend!!

ALLISON · Married on 05/29/2017

If you're looking for an amazing all-inclusive wedding venue with an amazing team of caterers and house managers, look no further! Whitehall is amazing, and Douglas (the venue manager and point-person) is so responsive and kind. He is so focused on making sure you have an amazing experience and that every part of your wedding is how you want it to be. He'll do what it takes to make your vision happen, even if that vision is a little unusual. We wanted a brunch wedding that incorporated both mine and my husband's cultures. He worked with us to make sure the menu and drinks reflected our vision. And OMG. The food. The food is SO GOOD. Celebrations Catering, their in-house catering team, really knocked it out of the park with our brunch food. We still have people coming up to us telling us how much they enjoyed the food (Douglas, if you're reading this, pleeeeease share that amazing veggie crêpe recipe! It's to die for!). Anyway, have your wedding at Whitehall. You won't regret it.

• Jessica

Jessica · Married on 05/19/2017

Whitehall Estate was an absolute D R E A M venue for our wedding. Of course, the grounds are spectacular with so many beautiful spots to capture photos but, even beyond that, this place just knows how to do weddings. I was really able to take off my wedding planning hat and float through the evening with a smile plastered on my face because everything was so perfect. First of all everyone raves about the food because it is SO GOOD - if you want your guests to keep talking about the food at your wedding years from now, choose Whitehall/Celebrations. The chef and his staff are just incredible. The event staff were always catering to mine and my husbands needs. I always had a glass of champagne near me and a plate of food. They were so beyond kind and I want to go back and hug every single person that helped make our day perfect because I am so grateful! If there was any little detail overlooked their team swept into action to fix it and make it perfect. From the first meeting to the last, Douglas was fantastic to work with. His responsiveness to emails and suggestions/ideas was so quick and thoughtful. He surprised me with a few details that I didn't think were possible and I am still over the moon with how he helped my vision come to life. Additionally, he works so well with all of our vendors and I appreciate that so much. Thank you Douglas, and to your amazing team at Whitehall for giving us the day of our dreams. We are so grateful and can't recommend Whitehall/Celebrations more. Choose them - you will be in great hands!!!

Jordan · Married on 05/06/2017

Amazing!! Whitehall was the first place we looked at and we are so happy we went with them! Doug was so amazing to work with. He was quick to respond to all of our emails and requests. He has a way of being able to calm people down. When there was a weather related issue that arose 3 hours before our ceremony, Doug took me outside personally and walked me through all of our options. In terms of food, we got nothing but compliments on the food, especially the appetizers. And the staff were awesome to work with. They were so quick and they did a great job of providing food and drinks to the bridal party immediately after the ceremony. Moreover, it is an absolutely beautiful venue. There are no bad views at Whitehall. Definitely check it out!!

Jessica · Married on 12/31/2016

Whitehall Estate was a perfect venue for our New Year's Eve wedding. It was everything that I could have dreamed of and the staff was nothing short of amazing. As the newly wed couple, you do not have time to eat and get drinks, but the staff made sure we got to enjoy the appetizers and drinks just as much as our guests. Although it was cold outside and we were not able to have the beautiful scenery, the indoor space suited our black-tie event. Lastly, I cannot forget the catering. We received compliments throughout the night that the filet was something you would find in a 5-star restaurant.

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience with Whitehall and would highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to get married. I would book quick!

• Brenda

Brenda · Married on 11/19/2016

Amazing venue with outstanding food and exemplary service. Douglas knows this business like no other and makes the planning process seem effortless. He is very quick to respond to emails and was awesome to work with. His staff is friendly and very efficient and voiced how much like loved working for Douglas. I felt like a queen on the day of the wedding as they delivered champagne and snacks to the bridal suite and made sure we were taking care of all night. The venue itself is gorgeous and I loved the location. I wish they had a restaurant so we could go back and have dinner there because the food is soooo good and it is so beautiful!!

Alison · Married on 11/12/2016

From our very first visit, we knew that Whitehall was the perfect venue for our wedding. The property is gorgeous, and I can't say enough good things about Douglas and the staff at Whitehall. They are true professionals. From the very start of planning process, Douglas was responsive and helpful. All of our questions were answered. Our wedding day went by without a hitch, and it is all thanks to Whitehall. Our guests absolutely loved the venue, and raved about the food! We couldn't ask for a better venue, Whitehall is truly the best in NoVA!

Kristi · Married on 10/28/2016

The day of our wedding, Whitehall came through for us 100%. There was not a single problem that I am aware of, everything ran smoothly, and the food was even better than at the tasting! The whole room was set up exactly how we planned and we did not even hire a wedding day coordinator. The venue is one of the pricier venues at about $100 a person when it is all said and done, but I would do it all over again. I got the most amazing compliments about the lighting, food and service and you can't beat the scenery. I could not have planned for the day to go any better. Douglas is a fantastic guy and is great to work with! The month before your wedding he is very attentive to every detail and makes sure he has all of his notes to reflect exactly what you want. Douglas was unfortunately out of town for our wedding but the communication with our event captain was perfect. Huge thanks to Whitehall!

Suzy · Married on 10/22/2016

Douglas and his team at Whitehall was nothing but excellent. We had a ton of little, specific things and Douglas accommodated them all. His flexibility and planning up to the wedding was impressive, but his entire staff was so friendly and on top of on our actual wedding day. We had numerous guests tell us how friendly the staff was. Before the ceremony, the staff made sure the entire bridal party was taken care of and brought us whatever we needed. If you're looking for a beautiful venue who's staff is easy to work with then look no farther.

I had my wedding Sept 16th, and I have nothing but AMAZING things to say about Whitehall Manor. Douglas was amazing to work with!!!! From being responsive to answering all questions and providing suggestions on anything I wasn't sure about. The food for our wedding was a fusion of Italian American and Latin food and it was amazing! We are still getting compliments from our guests. The customer service was exceptional and the staff even helped me out with personalized items more items that I brought in for the event. I had actually forgotten to tell them what to do w/ some of the items and come the night of, everything was set and done to perfection. WH staff truly read my mind! This of course is due to the many years of experience they have doing weddings. I also have to say Francisco, who was in charge of making sure everything was going according to plan was exceptional!!! His customer service together w/ all Whitehall staff exceeded my expectations tenfold!!
    Take it one an OCD Project Manager bride, now wife; if you want a stress free wedding day, Whitehall is the only way to go!!!
    Thank WH team for all that you did!! My wedding would not have been the same w/out you.

Jennifer · Married on 09/04/2016

The venue is absolutely gorgeous, and it was the perfect wedding day for the ceremony and reception! The staff is incredibly professional, friendly, and attentive... and the servers were so well-dressed for our wedding reception. I've had nothing but wonderful feedback from all of the wedding guests on the venue and the staff. Some are even now planning to have their own wedding there! Douglas was so quick to respond and answer all questions thoroughly throughout our entire wedding planning process, and offered great feedback. He was very flexible to accommodate all of our special requests, and worked with us to ensure that we had the perfect day, staying within our budget. Several things we had that other venues wouldn't allow were rose petals, candles, sparklers, and we were able to provide our own alcohol for the bar. If you decide to choose Whitehall for your special day, I recommend sticking to their list of preferred vendors if possible. I went with a cake vendor that wasn't on the list and that is my only regret from my wedding day. If you're looking for a wedding cake baker, absolutely avoid Edibles Incredible (Reston, VA).

Maria · Married on 08/20/2016

We got married here last summer and absolutely loved it. Douglas and Jose were very helpful, accommodating, and just great to work with! We had lots of questions and concerns, particularly about incorporating our Pakistani traditions and menu flavors into the event, and they nailed it. Our guests really loved the venue, enjoyed exploring the different rooms, and complimented the staff on their professionalism. I highly recommend Whitehall Estate!

Rachel · Married on 08/13/2016

As a planner I have seen venues run the gamut between barely functioning to top notch. Whitehall manor, Douglas, Francisco and their team are the perfect example of everything a wedding venue should be!

First, starting with the beautiful manor house with all of it's historic, yet classically and beautifully done features is a fantastically lovely and comforting space for the bridal party and guests alike. Several rooms are available for either side of the wedding party to get ready on the day of that are well appointed with plenty of AC on a hot day, comfortable places to rest and the staff has delicious food prepared so they can enjoy and relax.

The grounds are meticulously maintained and are absolutely stunning for an outdoor ceremony or cocktail hour. Tucked into the rolling hills of Bluemont, it is an ideal location for anyone looking to getaway but still be close to civilization!

The staff is really what makes Bluemont the incredible place that it is. With most of the staff members being there for several years and Francisco, the lead on everything being there for 20 years you are certain to be in capable hands! I've experienced brides signing on to a venue only to find their venue coordinator left later that year and they were dumped with a new one! This isn't something that you have to worry about at Whitehall! They have a system that is so efficient it puts all other systems to shame, even Chik-Fil-As famous assembly line service can't touch what Francisco and his team manage to do.

Overall, I think Whitehall is an ideal venue for anyone looking to get married, come for the beautiful architecture and book for the incredible service!