Vanilla Bake Shop Reviews

Vanilla Bake Shop 3
Vanilla Bake Shop 4
Vanilla Bake Shop 5

Joe · Married on 06/13/2012

Expensive, but you get what you pay for! 7-tier wedding cake.. what a dream. Yuko is fabulous to work with! Ask for her by name!

Sent on 07/09/2012

Alecia · Married on 06/09/2012

The best cake ever! The Vanilla Bake Shop provided a wonderful display of yummy goodness for my wedding guests! Yuko and staff do a wonderful job from listening to your wants and delivering the taste!

Sent on 06/20/2012

Jessica · Married on 11/11/2011

We read mixed reviews on yelp... but decided to have a tasting anyway and had a wonderful experience!Our wedding cake was a three tiered square cake... it was stacked perfectly with sharp corners and totally straight sides... my husband and i are very detail oriented! Not only was it beautiful... but delicious!!! ALL OF OUR GUESTS LOVED IT!!! Definitely a great place to get your cake :)

Sent on 11/13/2011

Cara · Married on 06/10/2011

While Vanilla Bake Shop was more expensive then other bakeries, we got a great cake. The process was extremely smooth and they turned a simple drawing into a amazing beach themed cake

Sent on 06/22/2011

Peggy · Married on 03/05/2011

Our catering package from our venue provided cake from Vanilla Bake Shop. I was pretty excited to have them as our cake vendor because I've only heard great things about this place. When we went for the tasting, it might have been the batch we were trying because we were unimpressed with the cake. However, we were impressed with Stephanie from VBS. She was patient in going over cake designs with us and provided a wonderful drawing mockup - which she emailed to us. On the day of the wedding, our cake was absolutely beautiful and it was delicious. Many people came up to us and complimented us on our cake!

Sent on 03/30/2011

Patricia · Married on 05/13/2010

OMG, the cakes were absolutely delicious!! The sugar flowers weren't exactly what I was going for based on my inspiration (I wanted something closer to peonies, but got roses)...but I can't complain too much since they were so beautiful!

Sent on 06/04/2010

Brenda · Married on 05/08/2010

Yum, Yum, Yum! Vanilla Bake Shop is my favorite!!!! Our cake was included with the wedding package at Shutters, and I was floored to find out it Vanilla Bake Shop was an option. I was turned on to Amy's "baby cakes" years ago before the shop opened and was hooked. Our wedding cake was beautiful - they incorporated the detail design from my dress on the bottom layer as a last minute request. People are still talking about how amazing our cake was - my husband who is not a sweets guy has said more than once how amazing our cake tasted. That alone speaks volumes to me. Definitely recommend Vanilla Bake Shop!

Sent on 07/13/2010

Jane · Married on 04/03/2010

Amy Berman of Vanilla Bakery is just amazing. The cake was gorgeous and so delicious. Amy used the design of our invitations and wove the colours and paterns into the design. Awesome! I cannot rate this bakery highly enough.

Sent on 04/20/2010

Rachel · Married on 03/14/2010

We loved our cake from Vanilla Bake Shop. Everyone raved about how great it tasted (red velvet and mom's chocolate cake) and it turned out beautiful!

Sent on 03/27/2010

Molly · Married on 10/03/2009

YUM! That is the most important thing in bake shops, right???
    We had so many guests tell us that our cake was the best they had ever had:-)
    We didn't get very much because people ate seconds and thirds! And we were glad that we ordered extra!!! The designs of Vanilla Bake Shop are totally my taste - clean and beautiful. Amy was very sweet and although she is probably overworked, she does an amazing job and comes up with designs to suit you - very much about the client and not herself. I got a surprise groom's cake and she kept the communication a secret for about 4 months - he loved it! For our cake, we got two different kinds of cake, which she helped us to create. The yellow cake is so yummy and moist unlike many bakery shop cakes that are made in advance. The chocolate cake with caramel and sea salt is maybe the best cake I have ever eaten. Not too sweet, it is the perfect combination of flavors. Your mouth will literally water with amazement. They also do beautiful cupcakes - all with the perfect shape and icing. Everything looks almost machine made... Check them out - if not for wedding, for gifts or catering... So good!!!

Sent on 10/27/2009

Johannah · Married on 06/13/2009

My husband and I got 400 amazing mini cupcakes from Vanilla Bake Shop for our wedding! When we started planning our wedding I knew I wanted mini cupcakes and lots of them. I started looking around cupcake shops and Vanilla was my favorite. We got three kinds of cupcakes: Meyer Lemon Raspberry (My favorite), Banana Chocolate Chip (My husbands favorite), and Bittersweet Dark Chocolate (The only chocolate cupcake I have ever liked)! When I first went for a cake tasting Amy Berman brought out a nice big tray of cupcakes and explained what everything was and got us something to drink. It was the perfect way to spend an afternoon. Amy also helped us figure out which three were best to pair together. It was a wonderful experience! I often times pick up cupcakes when I am in the area to bring home as a surprise for my husband!

Sent on 07/08/2009

marjorie · Married on 08/01/2008

abolutely yummy and beautiful. amy and her staff made everything perfect.

Sent on 08/25/2008

Sarah · Married on 05/03/2008

The owner of the shop, Amy, was incredibly easy to work with. She obviously loves her job and gets excited with each bride. The cake was DIVINE - tasting and aesthetically.

Sent on 10/04/2008

Shana · Married on 05/30/2010

We decided to forgo the traditional wedding cake and went with an assorted dessert bar instead - Mini cupcakes, tarts, parfaits, cookies, etc. It was nothing short of both beautiful and delicious. We were told to count 2-3 items per guest, but would have been better off counting 4-5 (people wanted one of everything).

Sent on 06/06/2010

Carrie · Married on 09/19/2009

Vanilla Bakeshop's wedding cake (southern red velvet) and groom's cake (chocolate southern banana pudding) at our wedding tasted exactly as they did at the tasting. They were both absolutely delicious. My only complaint was that the groom's cake was supposed to have Nilla Wafers in the layers (with bananas, vanilla pudding and whip cream), but there were none that we could taste.

Sent on 12/20/2009

Charissa · Married on 08/16/2008

Yummy! Vanilla Bake Shop provided our wedding cupcakes and cake and it was delicious. People were eating two and three cupcakes and couldn't stop talking about how great they were. The cake was amazing. At first when I explained to my mother-in-law that we were doing cupcakes for the wedding so seemed a bit taken aback. After the wedding, she told me she had no idea I meant those kind of cupcakes. What is more amazing than the cake (imagine that) is the design and creativity that Amy puts in the creation of the cupcake tower. It looked unbelievable and fit in so well with the room and decor. It was so beautiful. Amy made a regular cake to top the cupcake tower for my husband and I to use for our cake cutting - we wanted to make some changes to the fillings and she was so flexible with it. Thanks Amy! Can't wait to come in and have some cupcakes.

Sent on 10/09/2008

3.0

Vanilla Bake Shop was the perfect place to order our cake. From the customized tasting to the day of delivery Kim Robinson was amazing. Our cake looked just like the picture and tasted amazing. Wedding cakes are just too expensive...that is the only reason why I gave 3 stars for value.

Sent on 11/02/2014

The cake was perfect and amazing and delicious! However our 2 macaroon towers were another story. The story we got was they were accidentally put in the fridge the night before with the cake, so they were hard as a rock and kept falling off the cone. We were fully refunded for the towers and given a gift card which was very thoughtful. Usually I wouldn't mind that much but with so many people from France at our wedding it was kind of a bummer for the grooms cake to be uneatable. But again, the cake was amazing!!

Sent on 03/09/2015

Nikki · Married on 06/02/2012

Our cake was provided by Vanilla Bake Shop as part of our wedding package with Shutters on the Beach, so we did not pay specifically for our cake. Therefore, I cannot truly say whether or not they are a good value. At any rate, we got to choose our cake from a list of about 4 vendors. We chose Vanilla Bake Shop after a visit to their adorable shop. It is very small, but so cute! We got to choose any flavors we wanted and were allowed to choose from a book of designs. We went with one of the designs that they customized to make it a little more "us." We were a little put off by the tasting, however, because it was conducted right in the middle of the very small shop. I thought they would have a back room or something for this. Customers coming in to buy cupcakes and other treats were basically standing right on top of us while we did our tasting. Anyway, the cake was delicious and looked even better than the initial design proposal sketch! I was simply floored by our cake when I saw it in the reception room. It looked better than I imagined. I would highly recommend Vanilla Bake Shop to brides in the Santa Monica/L.A. area.

Sent on 06/29/2012

Amy · Married on 01/22/2011

One day R proposed to A and she accepted. This of course meant that we would have a wedding and also that R and A would need a wedding cake. Oh what to do??? We thought about different cake options and eventually decided on cupcakes. We then looked at several bakeries Vanilla Bake Shop included. There was one or two that were cheaper and one that was about the same price... but there was none that was as delicious. We simply LOVED their cupcakes!!! They had multiple varieties of utter yumminess! We chose 5 (Meyer lemon raspberry, mint chocolate, birthday cake, strawberries & cream, black & white). Then for the coups de gras, our cake topper was a 7 layer chocolate and peanut butter… The Good Lord can come and get me now!
    It’s only been a few weeks, but we continue to receive compliments on both how beautiful the cupcake tower was, as well as how delicious the cupcakes were. We’ve also been told how much fun everyone had tasting them all.
    Thank you Vanilla Bake Shop for helping to make our wedding day just that much more amazing!
    As a ps...2 1/2 months later, we finished our cake top. We both agree it was still delicious despite the fact that we had not taken all precautions when freezing/storing it.

Sent on 02/23/2011

Ellen · Married on 11/20/2010

Vanilla Bakeshop did a spectacular job on our wedding cupcake tower. Kim was very friendly and accommodating during our cupcake tasting and was extremely responsive throughout the planning process. The tower was setup in a timely manner on the day-of. The cupcakes were delicious, and many of our guests complimented us on how beautiful and customized it looked. Our cake topper even matched the fabric we provided for the tower panels. The setup and delivery fee was non-negotiable, but they were flexible in allowing us to return the tower 2 days later.

Sent on 12/01/2010

devi · Married on 09/05/2010

OMG! The most delicious and beautiful cupcake tower ever. People are still talking about the cupcakes we had at our wedding. We chose VBS over other shops that were less expensive and literally up the street from the reception venue. Not only were the cupcakes delicious, the service was fantastic. This is what sold us. As my fiance put it, "I want love baked into our cake. I'm willing to pay more." It was worth it. The pain is having to buy your own material for the tower and returning the (very heavy) tower to the shop to avoid a steep pick up charge. The cake topper was beautiful and exactly what I had asked for in terms of theme.

Sent on 02/22/2011

Alice · Married on 09/20/2009

Mmm Vanilla Bake Shop makes the yummiest cupcake. Their cupcakes and wedding cake are adorable and delicious. They are also very responsive to emails and all our questions. The tasting was excellent and me and my fiance were completely stuffed after. The mini cupcakes are huge hit at the wedding! Thank you VBS

Sent on 10/16/2009

Krista · Married on 08/30/2008

Our cake was delicious and beautiful... what more could you ask for? Amy was super flexible with my last-minute changes to the cake - both in size and design. I am so happy with how it all turned out! And I wish I could dive into their red velvet cake every single night!! Thank you!

Sent on 10/15/2008

Kelly · Married on 07/02/2010

I came to Vanilla Bake Shop with a very specific design of how I wanted my wedding cake, and they executed it flawlessly. It was a difficult design, that could have ended in disaster, but they seemed confident from the beginning that they would be able to create my masterpiece... and they did! Everyone raved at the wedding about the amazing taste of the red velvet cake, and a few of our "engaged" friends have chosen to use Vanilla Bake Shop for their upcoming weddings.

We had a few issues scheduling our inital meeting with the company, and we felt like we were not given the best treatment. We considered not choosing the company because of this treatment. However, the situation was dealt with and apologized for very quickly after I brought it to the attention of my wedding coordinator.

The cake was beautiful, tasted great, and overall, I'm very, very happy with my experience with Vanilla Bake Shop.

Sent on 07/20/2010