Top of the Bay Reviews

33 | Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

33 Reviews for Top of the Bay

3.5

Top of the Bay is a great venue. The team was very accommodating by assisting with set up, offering suites for the bridal party and setting up the wedding the exact way expected. The chef was on top of his game because the food was out of this world. The entire team was there to assist with all aspects of the wedding. The price was right for this venue and I would recommended them for any wedding. Our daughters and son-in laws wedding was an absolute success.

Sent on 06/18/2016

3.0

First let me say that my wedding turned out amazing and I would certainly recommend this venue. The only caveat is that if you are looking for somewhere that will hold your hand through the planning stages this is not the place for you. The responsiveness of the event coordinators was hit or miss prior to the wedding; there would be times that I would ask a question via email or voice-mail and would receive a response immediately, other times I wouldn't get a response at all. Despite the lack of responsiveness prior to the wedding, they were great on the day of.

Sent on 10/02/2014

Kim · Married on 09/08/2012

3.8
      3.0

If I had to do it all over again, I would still have my wedding at Top of the Bay.The people are nice, the building is beautiful inside (recently renovated) and out, and the venue is definitely your best bang for your buck, especially if you want to get married on the water. You pay a small (in comparison to other wedding venues) site fee and then pay per reasonably priced meal and per drink. With that being said:
    -The main contacts are busy. They didn't always call me back right away, but I always got in touch with them before I needed to and when I did talk to them they were super nice and helpful.
    -We did hear some people had complaints asabout cold food
    -There was some confusion with who ordered what and my main problem with this is that I heard comments about staff not knowing english well enough or being nice enough to work it out so the person settled for the wrong meal
    -I was told someone would be at the door to greet my guests and they ended up being "short staffed" so this did not happen and my guests didnt know where to go so when I arrived (in my wedding dress and everything!) there were many guests standing on the porch watching me walk in. This short staffing caused a few other problems as well, but the worst part is - no one ever came to me or my mom and said "we are short staffed please be understanding." we got nothing.
    -None of the tables clothes had been ironed
    -They were so far behind in setting up that when my photographer got there she couldnt take pictures of the empty room or a lot of the details b/c they werent out yet
    -We did have one guest that couldn't get on base b/c she forgot her ID. This is not Top of the Bays fault, just consider it before booking.

Again - my outdoor ceremony and indoor reception were beautiful. And I could not have had that many guests at a comparable venue for that price. And the staff really cares about your wedding. They just seem very busy. All the time.

Sent on 02/07/2013
  • Gabrielle

Gabrielle · Married on 08/01/2015

3.4
      2.5

Top of the Bay is a beautiful venue for a wedding reception. The view is gorgeous. Unfortunately, there were many headaches leading up to our wedding day. There were multiple mis-communications regarding what we were allowed to bring to the venue as well as inconsistency in what we were told. Our point of contact went back on his word multiple times and was not respectful of us as customers. The day-of was handled by Terri and she did a fantastic job in setting everything up and making things run smoothly. If Terri is working with you, we would recommend this venue.

Sent on 08/14/2015

2.8
      2.0

To be honest.. I had heard a ton of good things about top of the bay. It is definitely a beautiful venue overlooking the water! We fell in love with it as soon as we found it! However they were MANY hiccups that stressed me out the day of my wedding because of top of the bay. I had many guests complain that although the food was great it was served to them ice cold. I had many complaints that the bartenders were rude to my guests. I was told the fireplaces would be lit( and it says this in my contract) however when I got there they informed me they could not be lit. The worse part was that apparently the gates to get into this place are CLOSED on the weekends. They FAILED to inform me of this so that i could inform my guests. My guests arrived with the directions i had given them or by using their navigations. When arriving the gates were closed. No-one told my guests where to go and they were driving all over to find an alternate entrance. We actually had about 6 guests turn away and drive home after not being able to find the alternate entrance. I was pissed to say the least. I also provided many candles to light through my entire room. Besides my votives, they were candles with a great scent i wanted to go through the room. Not ONE of these candles were lit. They set the room up perfect which was a plus. They used all of my decor and did exactly what I wanted( besides not lighting my candles).Stephen was nice to work with and the pricing is great. There are no taxes! However, Tina who works there is very rude and unprofessional( do not work with her). I tried calling top of the bay the entire day of my wedding to make some last minute changes to my guest list and NOONE answered the phone at all from 10:00am to 6:00pm. I couldnt get in touch with anyone to make these changes.

Overall i would recommend the venue itself.. and Stephen... however, some aspects of the venue need lots of improving! If you are looking for the look for less go with this venue..

Sent on 12/02/2012

Joyce · Married on 09/08/2012

2.8
      2.5

My daughter had her wedding and reception at Top of the Bay on September 2012. Everything up until the day of the wedding seemed fine, but when the day came so did several issues. We can start with them being so far behind schedule that my florist could not set up as promised. Tablecloths looked like they were folded for 10 years before placing on the tables. We had not 1 person on staff to help us before or during the ceremony, and I mean no one. My guests had no one to direct them where to go. My florist, My Secret Garden and my DJ, icemanentertainment.com both saved the day, they told me when, where and how to line up and when to walk down the aisle, and I have pictures to prove it. No A/C upstairs, and not even a pitcher of water for the bridal party, or even a staff member to get us one. Stephen never showed his face to us! The reception hall was not ready after the ceremony, leaving my guests to stand with no drinks as my allotted time ticked away. I did see Stephen once guarding the door so no one would enter until they were ready. My guests were served lukewarm and even cold meals, each of them thought theirs was the only one. Many of the staff didn't speak of understand English. The bathroom had not 1 square of toilet paper in 1 stall, the one I chose! Maybe they were all like that?
    I gave Teri ample time, many months, to get back to me about these issues. She did not. I e-mailed her and gave her a 7 day deadline to contact me, again, nothing. If you want don't want any regrets on your wedding day, then go elsewhere. Stay away from the Top of the Bay. I can back up everything with pictures and will gladly show them to anyone!

Sent on 06/04/2013

Jen · Married on 04/19/2008

2.6
      2.0

TOTB was a great choice from the beginning for us due to the cost of the venue, working with Terry was great, BUT when it came to my ceremony and reception i was told a weeks before the Terry would not be there and she would have a fill in, needless to say not everything went as planned, we started the ceremony 20 minuets late, I was told the room that my guests would be walking through would be neat tidy and presentable, needless to say there were ugly bare banquet tables in the room and it was cluttered with left over seating. When it came to the reception the food was great, but myself, husband and bridal party couldn't see what they were eating due to a tripped backer to the lights on the stage where were were seated to eat. no one ever fixed it the entire night. the AC was never turned on and is was so hot my flowers died by the time dinner was served. we were told there would be a carving station, there never was, the drinks were watered down and more people drank more then normal due top the weak drinks causing our bar bill to be outrages!

Over all I feel the if Terry would have been there things would have been different. Nothing ruined my wedding day and everything that didn't go as planned wants noticed by my guests, besides the fact it was so warm in the reception hall.

Sent on 03/18/2009

Megan · Married on 06/27/2015

1.4
      0.5

Unfortunately, Top of the bay does NOT do tasting for the weddings. I was torn between two venues and asked to try the food and Richard told me that I would have to come during lunch hours which was only 11am-1:30 Mondays through Fridays. I am a teacher and it is difficult to get off work. I emailed him to tell him that I was able to get off work early one Friday to come and try the food. he said that was no problem. When I got there, they only had buffets set out and they said I could only try what was in the buffet. I said that I was planning on having a crab cake at the wedding and would like to try the crab cake. He said "well we only have that on certain days." I told him that I needed to make a decision within the next week and that I couldn't get off work for lunch on mondays through fridays. He had nothing to say, was rude and unwilling to work with me.....if he is unable to be flexible and accomidating now, what do you think he will be like for the wedding? That scared me and there is NO way I would ever recommend this venue to anyone while he is working there.

Sent on 10/21/2013