Toast & Jam Reviews

Toast & Jam 3
Toast & Jam 4
Toast & Jam 5

Clara · Married on 09/08/2012

MY HUSBAND AND I LOVED TOAST & JAM! We'd definitely recommend them to anyone and everyone! Kristen Marks was our DJ and she not only rocked our wedding but also the entire prepping process. When you are planning your wedding, you know how frustrating it is to work with unprofessional vendors who just never get back to you. But Kristin and Toast & Jam were nothing but professional AND fun!

We ended up asking Kristin to stay for an extra 1.5 hrs because our guests absolutely loved her and people literally couldn't stop dancing. We also have friends who were guests at our wedding that ended up hiring Toast & Jam for their own wedding. Thank you again for making our wedding reception so awesome & memorable.

Sent on 09/25/2013

Amanda · Married on 09/02/2012

Our DJ for the wedding was Jennefa from Toast & Jam. From our very first meeting (via Skype! We loved that she was willing to do that for us as we were out of country), we knew we would have a great time with her. She was very responsive to our musical choices and everyone at the reception had a blast - including Jennefa!

Sent on 09/25/2012

Tanya · Married on 08/12/2012

Toast and Jam was awesome. No cheesy wedding music, no cheesy wedding DJ's, these gals were awesome and they were able to calibrate the music according to my tastes and the guests' energy. Our guests commented all night on how great the music was. Toast and Jam were also able to accommodate the mikes and sound-check for the musician and singers for our first dance. Everything worked out perfectly.

Sent on 11/05/2012

Shara · Married on 08/05/2012

I was married on August 5, 2012 at Salvage One in Chicago and one of the highlights was having Kate from Toast and Jam DJ our reception. She really went above and beyond to not only ensure people stayed on the dance floor but she also was our MC ensuring the schedule stayed on track and that people were where they needed to be without us having to worry on our special day. I hadn't planned for how important it would be to also have a DJ who helped everyone know when they had to give a toast or what order they needed to enter the reception. Kate worked with us for months before the wedding making sure she understood our music tastes and really made sure that we just had to sit back and enjoy the party. We had a full dance floor from when the music started and everyone told us how much fun they had. She also was just so darn cool and nice and she genuinely made us feel like a friend. I highly recommend choosing Toast and Jam as your DJ Company, it was such a special part of the day to have everyone enjoying themselves on the dance floor!

Sent on 11/04/2012

Ashley · Married on 07/07/2012

Laura from Toast & Jam did an amazing job at my July wedding at the Ivy Room! My fiancé and I knew when booking our DJ that Toast & Jam was the way to go from their glowing reviews on Yelp and many wedding sites. Laura put us at ease from our very first meeting. We let her choose all of the music and put no restrictions on her as far as must-play or never-play lists. She was even patient with me and my indecision regarding first dance songs, providing recommendations and suggestions to help us narrow it down. At the wedding, everyone was on the dance floor the whole night, from my 80 year old aunt to my 15 year old cousin. Everyone talked the next day about how much they danced and how great the music was. I highly recommend Laura and Toast & Jam to any future brides!

Sent on 08/29/2012

Mark · Married on 07/07/2012

DJ Carrie Weston from Toast & Jam did a fantastic job at our civil union ceremony! She kept the dance floor crowded for 3 hours! She is great at being an emcee and making everything run smoothly. She was fun to work with, arrived early, and asked all the right questions to get on the same page as us. Picking Toast & Jam was one of the best choices we made, we couldn't recommend them more.

Sent on 02/07/2013

Toast & Jam DJs did an absolutely phenomenal job at our wedding!

Logistics: TnJ DJ Rachel Hinsdale provided the music for our ceremony and reception with the same table and speakers since they were both in Cathedral Hall at the University Club of Chicago. She also provided the music for our cocktail reception in a separate room via a portable ipod player and speakers.

Planning: A breeze! We don't live in Chicago, but she was happy to meet with us via Skype whenever we had questions or concerns.

Execution: I think my wife and I only said two words to our DJ all night because she made sure everything was perfect. From the sequence of ceremony songs to the dance music at midnight. It was exactly what we asked for and even what we wanted but didn't know to ask for.

Bottom line: As advertised. They provide high quality music and equipment with care and expertise. Great music and no electric slide

Sent on 09/04/2012

Rachel · Married on 06/30/2012

Toast and Jam is amazing, and our DJ, Jennefa, rocked the house all night long at our wedding. As a company, they are a pleasure to work with. At first, we were on the waiting list for a couple weeks. Then at the wedding show, I ran into the owner Mary and asked her what my chances were for getting a spot. Within a few days, she had contacted me saying she had checked thought the list again and now they had an opening for us. Their office, located in Bucktown, is also welcoming and organized.

There, we met our DJ Jennefa, who guided us though the whole process. She is extremely friendly and professional. She had answers we didn't even know we had questions about! She was also really open to us putting in some musical suggestions not included on their extensive list.

The day of our wedding was flawless. Jennefa is truly an awesome DJ. The ceremony music and sound was perfect, and everything she played was spot-on from start to finish. She also did an excellent job making announcements and introductions. For the dancing portion, Jennefa had most of our guests up shaking their groove thangs the whole time. I was also impressed by her dance moves...every time I looked over, Jennefa was jamming out with us from the DJ table.

Jennefa, and Toast & Jam, was an absolute pleasure to work with. I would highly recommend them for any special occasion or wedding!

Sent on 09/26/2013

Heather · Married on 05/27/2012

The music for our reception was one the most important details to my husband and I, and since my husband is crazy about researching and reading tons of reviews, I let him make this decision all on his own. We couldn’t have been happier with our DJ! We contracted with Toast and Jam because we knew we were going to have a wide range of age groups at the wedding, and that because we lived out of state we weren’t going to have a ton of ‘young fun people’, so we wanted a DJ who could get everyone on the dance floor and keep them there. We knew T&J was perfect for us when we saw their list of “stale” music that they wouldn’t play unless the bride and groom specifically requested it! After our video chat with Kate since we were out of state, we loved her personality and how she listened to what we wanted for our wedding. Leading up to the wedding, she made sure she had my timeline, was able to get any of the songs we wanted that she didn’t already have, and set all our nerves at ease. The day of, she rolled with the punches, kept everyone on schedule and kept EVERYONE on the dance floor, and looked like she really loved her job all night. I have never seen so many empty seats at a reception, or had such a great mix of songs that there was never a good time to step off the dance floor to freshen up!

In case you’re like me and have a very conservative family and are a little nervous about how some of the reviews consider Toast and Jam edgy, don’t be worried! All of our experiences with them were professional and even my grandparents were on the floor raving about how it was the most fun reception they’ve ever been to!

Sent on 06/28/2012

Stacey · Married on 05/19/2012

Your DJ is not something you want to mess around with for your wedding. They bring the "fun". This is why we scoured Yelp and other sources for recommendations and kept hearing good things about Toast and Jam. They're not cheap, but at the end of the night, you'll know why. Well worth the premium, and again, you don't want to mess around with the "fun".

DJ Karin Fjellman was our wedding DJ and honestly the best wedding DJ we've ever experienced. Sure, it's fair to think that we're biased because we met with her twice before the event to discuss music preferences, so she ended up playing a lot of our favorites, but we only really gave her 1 or 2 "must plays". We figure she's the professional, so we wanted her to feel comfortable doing her thing. She picked up on our taste in music right away and effortlessly touched on all of our favorites, seamlessly worked in some of our goofier/quirkier requests, all while still pleasing the older folks in the crowd. Again, yes, we're admittedly biased, but when the large majority of our guests stayed through the last song and began chanting "One more song! One more song!" we easily feel comfortable saying that Karin is as good as it gets.

Outside of Karin keeping the dance floor packed, she was totally sweet. She deftly handled both good and bad requests, although because she was already nailing it, we don't think she got too many requests. Outside of the actual event, Karin was super responsive to email and made herself available to any thoughts/questions we had.

Do yourself a favor and go with T&J DJs and cross your fingers that Karin is available for your wedding.

Sent on 06/05/2012
  • chris

chris · Married on 05/19/2012

My husband and I want to get married again just to hire Kristin from Toast & Jam – she is AMAZEBALLS~!! She kept a +200 party of all different ages & backgrounds glued to the dance floor with the best mix-up of songs and crazy amounts of good energy. One of my favorite memories from the night was looking up at the DJ booth and seeing her smile and dancing around with the rest of our guests – she really carried the party on all night. We didn’t have an extensive list of “must haves” or “do not play” songs but nonetheless, Kristin really took the time to understand the feel we were going for and the planning process could not have been easier – she is professional, organized and completely easy going. In addition, we were married the weekend of the NATO summit and I really appreciated Kristin’s flexibility – she was early to arrive/set-up and really gave us the greatest of confidence that we could trust her to keep the flow of night smooth. We strongly strongly recommend the amazing talents of Kristin!!

Sent on 06/08/2012

Kyle · Married on 03/16/2012

We worked with Dena, who was an awesome DJ that kept the party crescendoing until the end. She was extremely friendly and professional and went out of her way to make sure she answered all of our questions and that we were comfortable. She guided us through the planning process from start to finish with patience and experience. You can tell that Dena took personal pride in making sure that everyone was having a blast and we wouldn't hesitate to work with her again in the future.

Sent on 04/28/2012

Beth · Married on 03/10/2012

Unbelievable. I didn't even have time to go to the bathroom - they played one great song after another. Everyone at the wedding said they had never danced that much at any wedding EVER! They completely understood the feel of the wedding - they did the ceremony as well - PERFECT. They were professional, fun, easy - I simply can't say enough great things! Thank you SO much for making our night so magical and special. Can't wait to have another party and hire you again!! LOVED every minute!

Sent on 03/16/2012

Lynn · Married on 03/03/2012

We had Dena at Toast and Jam as a DJ for our wedding reception. She communicated with us very well and gave us good advice. She was open to our song choices and edited them as requested. She learned all the pronounciations of our names and announced them perfectly! She had all ages up and dancing, then appropriately turned to younger music later in the night. She was dancing and jamming to the music herself, awesome!

Sent on 03/15/2012

Sarah · Married on 01/29/2012

We truly cannot say enough good things about our experience with Toast and Jams. They were an absolute blast to work with. My husband and I are music snobs, and they were open to us designing our own playlist for the dinner and selecting specific songs we wanted to hear during the reception. By the end of the night most of our guests had kicked off their shoes and were dancing ...to the point where when the music stopped (our venue gave us a hard stop time of 11:30), our guests were shouting for an encore...seriously. They also did a great job helping us stay organized throughout the night (i.e. organizing the line for introducing the wedding party, keeping us on schedule, etc). I would HIGHLY recommend Toast and Jams to anyone looking for a DJ for their wedding.

Sent on 04/15/2012

Lauren · Married on 01/07/2012

I had DJs Rachel and Kate, and they were incredible!! Toast & Jam was the first vendor we booked because we knew after one look at their website that we wanted to work with these ladies. They don't play any obnoxious, overdone wedding music, and are willing to work with you on your personal style and how you want the night to feel. Rachel and Kate did an amazing job of reading the crowd - just when you thought the dance floor was emptying out, they would play something to bring everyone back. Our guests were dancing for four or five hours straight - they said it was one of the longest dance sets they've ever played. Toast & Jam will keep your dance floor packed all night long with fantastic, non-cliche music - it was a non-stop party!!

Sent on 01/24/2012

Leslie · Married on 11/05/2011

Toast and Jam Rocks. We had DJ Emily and she was a total pleasure to work with. I could not believe how many of our friends and family stayed until the very end of the reception and the dance floor was packed. Emily met with us and had phone conversations with us multiple times to make sure that she understood the style of music we wanted for cocktail hour, dinner and reception. And she hit the nail right on the head. She did not play one song that I didn't like, and I can't think of any songs that I would rather have had played. Toast and Jam is a phenomenal group to work with. Bravo, ladies!

Sent on 11/22/2011

Karen · Married on 10/29/2011

Dena was our DJ for our wedding on 10/29 - and she was awesome! We had people dancing the whole time and received feedback from several of our guests (of varying ages) that Dena did a great job and they had a great time. Everyone loved the music and loved that Dena was having a great time dancing in her DJ area along with us!

Dena was really easy to work with before the wedding - we met beforehand and gave some background information about ourselves and the type of music that we like and what we were looking for in our DJ. We met a few weeks before the wedding to finalize everything and to go over what songs were "must plays" and a few additoinal "please don't play" songs on top of the Stale list :). However, we left most of the choices up to Dena and she really picked songs that were perfect for our crowd! When she asked what kind of music we like, we said Stevie Wonder (me) and Rancid (my husband) so it's kinda hard to work with that....but she did!

I would definitely recommend Toast and Jam and Dena specifically for future events.

Working with Dena was the least stressful of all the people we worked with and I was confident that everything was being handled and I didn't have to worry about anything.

Sent on 12/04/2011

Valerie · Married on 10/08/2011

Sarah was amazing!! Not only did she play exactly what we wanted, but she kept everyone dancing the entire time. I felt so bad that she had to deal with a few unruly guests who kept requesting songs on my “do not play” list. She listened to me and did not let my crazy aunts take over the wedding music. I loved her and highly recommend her.

Sent on 10/12/2011

Kailin · Married on 10/01/2011

I can't stress how much I loved working with Toast & Jam. Not only was my DJ responsive, approachable, and professional, but she rocked the house! Two years later, people are still talking about the dance party at our wedding, and I don't think it would have been the same if we had not had such a savvy person behind the speakers. For the quality of work you get, the cost was amazingly reasonable and I still recommend them every time I'm asked.

Sent on 09/25/2013
  • Ben

Ben · Married on 09/24/2011

Dustin from Toast and Jam kept us partying all night long! He had great music choices and kept the crowd rocking all the way until the end. We really enjoyed working with him and his company. Thanks!

Sent on 01/22/2012

Roxanne · Married on 09/16/2011

Why does Toast and Jam have a gazillion 5 star reviews? Because they’re excellent!
    Kristin was the DJ at our wedding and she is extremely fun to work with. During both of our pre wedding meetings she showed up with so much energy and was extremely fun and nice to work with.
    At our wedding she was so nice to our guests, lined everyone up and was great making announcements and coordinating. I’m Filipino so just imagine what kinds of names she had to pronounce but she confirmed with everyone beforehand and pronounced everyone’s named perfectly. From the cocktail hour up until open dance she coordinated everything and made sure it all ran smoothly. During the dance session she kept all of our requests coming and the dance floor was never empty. When I would look over at Kristin she was also dancing up a store. We absolutely loved her energy.
    We would recommend Toast and Jam to anyone. They’re super fun to work with, play great music, and provide an overall excellent service.

Sent on 10/20/2011

Jennifer · Married on 09/04/2011

Erica was the best DJ. She was helpful and kept us dancing until almost midnight!

Sent on 01/09/2012

Michelle · Married on 08/27/2011

Dustin is awesome! He kept all of our guests on the dance floor until the reception was over. The music selection was great -- nothing stale, nothing cheesy. Dustin is very professional, was able to improvise and move parts of the evening around when the schedule was thrown off without guests noticing. We can tell that he loves what he does.

Music was a really big deal to us, so we were glad we booked Toast & Jam a year in advance. When we went to Indie Wed in January, we found out that already had a waiting list for all weekends in August!

Sent on 08/29/2011

Jessica · Married on 08/20/2011

OMG Kristin was just so awesome - rockin' out and just made our party such a fantastic celebration! We East Coast style danced through our courses and it was the best decision ever - we just couldn't stop dancing, in fact, hardly anyone used the photo booth because they were jamming the whole night. She is seriously the best, most fun DJ ever!

Sent on 11/13/2012