57 Reviews for The Wedding Dresser

Mother of Bride (1)
Bridesmaids (1)
Jewelry (1)
57 The Wedding Dresser Reviews

Susan and her team did an amazing job modernizing my dress. It was my mother’s and she made me feel so comfortable and I knew the product would be great. She was able to update the dress while keeping it with the same major features. I could not be happier with the outcome!

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Brynna, 10/21/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Hair Accessories, Undergarments, Alterations

I found Susan via Yelp and I had a great experience with her. My wedding was on Sept. 2, but I was going to be traveling for six months leading up to the wedding and I needed my dress to be hemmed and altered. Luckily, Susan and her team were very accommodating and did a fantastic job. I only came in for one fitting in June and the next time I saw my dress was a few days before the wedding. It turned out wonderfully!

Profile Picture Nikki, 9/2/17, 6 Reviews
Services Used: Alterations, Appts. Only, Bride
4.7

I fell in love with a BHLDN dress online and snapped it up when it came back to their site in my size only - then I crossed my fingers. It arrived, as lovely as I imagined, but as a larger-busted bride, the delicate and fairly unsupportive dress needed some work to make it support and flatter my body. I was terrified that alterations would destroy a dress so gossamer and perfect I never tried on another, so I knew the wedding alterations team I chose would have to be a great one.

I did my research. LOTS OF IT. And again and again, Susan and her team were it. Susan’s theater experience, and decades of bridal expertise mean she knows any garment, any age, all body types, inside and out. This was a woman who would respect and understand a beautiful dress, and find a way to make it work. I went to her original space for my first fitting - a tulle, ostrich, rhinestone wonderland - and could tell immediately that my experience would go perfectly. She developed a plan to attach a detachable low-backed corset, brought the delicate tulle boatneck laid flat against my sternum, and tried on a few veil options with an antique crown I had boat. My next two appointments in her new Industry City space saw Susan expertly fit my gorgeous dress to me - as well as my mom’s, and my bridesmaid’s dresses - they each have different body types to mine, and had dresses that were long and covered in intricate beading and sequins. My mom was also able to purchase a few hairpins from her accessories line, which helped make the process even easier. I heard again and again how lovely and unusual my dress was, and it looks PERFECT in our photos.

I recommended her to two very different style and body type brides with very different dresses, and they had experiences that were just as positive as mine.

Profile Picture Eva, 5/6/17, 10 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)
Services Used: Hair Accessories, Undergarments, Veils, Bride, Bridesmaids, Mother of Bride, Alterations

Susan Ruddie came to us through Gabriella bridal salon where we purchased the dress. Susan was incredible to work with. Very precise, detail oriented and expert in her alterations. She also ended up altering my rehearsal dinner dress for me. I highly recommend her.

Profile Picture Sarna, 11/27/16, 10 Reviews
Services Used: Alterations, Appts. Only, Bride
4.7

I bought my dress online and had it custom sized, so I had done a pretty good job at getting it to fit well on my body. When I brought it here to get altered, I needed to take in the chest, add straps, and add a bustle. Susan and her team were very helpful and did a great job with my alterations. I had minimal work done to the dress, so bringing it in for the first time 12 weeks before the wedding during the off-season was plenty of time to get all the alterations done. Susan also suggested I rent a short fur shawl for the photos since the weather was cooler for my autumn wedding. I ended up spending more money on the alterations than I did on the dress, but I knew I would have a hard time finding a dress to fit my petite frame and larger chest, and Susan did a great job perfecting my dress.

Profile Picture Catherine, 11/12/16, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)

Schuyler was amazing! He came to the venue and, while we were having our hair and makeup done, steamed my dress, veil, sash, and all of our shawls. My dress had undergone a car ride from the midwest to NYC and was significantly wrinkled up until the morning of the wedding. By the time he had finished up, the dress was perfect. He also tied my sash with a gorgeous bow and helped me put on my veil. Throughout the entire experience, Schuyler was warm, helpful, and incredibly detail-oriented. I am so happy he was there!

Profile Picture Megan, 10/29/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)

I decided to use Susan and her team based in part on online reviews, so let me advise the next round of brides: hire them! I had a lovely experience getting fitting and alterations here with a sample dress I bought online for 50% off. No pressure to do anything I didn't want, which can be a relief in the upselling world of wedding dress shopping. Susan, Schuyler, Tressa, and everyone else were friendly and relaxed. My wedding dress looked beautiful and felt comfortable-- you're in excellent hands with these guys.

Profile Picture Caroline, 10/15/16, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Alterations

I decided to try out Susan based on all the glowing reviews I'm so glad I did! Her space is a little bit unconventional - not a storefront, but inside a residential Brooklyn apartment building. That's part of its charm. When you walk in for your first fitting, you see the many accessories she has for sale along the wall - many pieces that have a vintage look. Her lovely assistant Tressa helps you get in and out of the gown, and Susan gives careful consideration to your dress and your needs. My dress has a chiffon overlay on top of beautiful lace, and she designed my bustle to allow the lace to peak through in the back - a really unique, personal touch that looked BEAUTIFUL. She made a video on how to fasten the bustle that was very helpful to my Maid of Honor on the Day-Of. One little snag I hit was that I left my wedding shoes at her apartment during my final fitting and I only realized the day before the wedding! Susan was kind enough to offer to courier the shoes to the hotel I was getting ready the next day. I was nervous, but when I got to the hotel, sure enough, they were there waiting for me with the concierge. Now THAT'S service!

Susan has a kind and gentle way that makes working with her really a pleasure. She did a flawless job on my couture gown, and I have to say, I'm sad I have no more excuses to go see her! One last note of recommendation - I opted for 2 hours of their "Dressing Service" on my wedding day, which was FANTASTIC. I originally booked it because I simply needed someone to steam my dress, but it turned out the person they sent was a professional Fashion Stylist named Stacie. Stacie arrived at my hotel to steam my dress, advise on where to fasten an heirloom broach to my dress; then she came with me to the venue to "fluff" me for the Pro photos. She and my photographer got along great, and I have to say they were really a dream team! So if you're on the fence about the Dressing Service - don't hesitate, it's worth it.

Profile Picture Sarah, 10/9/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Alterations

The Wedding Dresser does impeccable work. My dress fit me like a glove and the workmanship was so quality. The Wedding Dresser's office is in an apartment in Flatbush, Brooklyn. It is cramped and very warm in the summer and not that easy to get to. However, the quality of the work more than made up for that inconvenience. Plus, they are planning to move to a more centrally located workspace in the near future. Definitely book your alterations ahead to avoid a time crunch because their schedule gets pretty full. Also, be prepared for a seamstress with a rather tough exterior - but, really, how tough can you be if weddings and love are your trade!? Full marks for The Wedding Dresser!

Profile Picture Judith, 10/8/16, 10 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)

An all-around great experience working with Susan and her team! I had purchased my wedding gown online and needed a few alterations. Booking appointments was easy and the fittings went smoothly. My dress was done in just 2 quick appointments about a month before my wedding day. Thank you for making the dress look as if it were made specifically for me!

Profile Picture User6163738, 1+ year ago, 11 Reviews
Services Used: Bride, Alterations, Appts. Only, Undergarments
4.7

I was introduced to Susan by my wedding planner. I wanted a dresser to help me get ready on the big day and to help my parents and my large bridal party with any wardrobe issues. This was one of the best wedding decisions I made because Susan gave me the wonderful Stacie as my stylist. I don’t know what I would have done without her. She prepped my dress, helped my parents and maids of honor get ready and she even helped place my dress during pictures (my photographer loved her!) We did a first look and photos before the actual ceremony and Stacie made sure we all looked just as fresh as we did earlier in the day. She was such a savior and I am so thankful to have had her with me on my big day.

Profile Picture User7217365, 1+ year ago, 14 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)

Great alteration shop located in an apartment building in Leffert's Garden, Brooklyn. Susan the shop owner is awesome--super friendly and gives you slot of attention when you are there. The people who work in her shop are great too, everyone makes you feel comfortable. Pricing was straight forward although a bit on the high side. I had multiple dresses altered and they all came out great. Susan was very detail oriented and able to fix very tricky dresses (Indian wedding dress) and make them all look great. They offer accessories as well so I picked out my wedding earrings here after being dissapointed with everything else I found online and in stores. Good price on the jewelry. Only thing to note is it is a bit hard to get to. Depending on where you live, you might want to take a cab to avoid carting your stuff on the subway and there is a fair bit of Brooklyn traffic in that area so give yourself plenty of time for travel.

Profile Picture User5104208, 1+ year ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)

I was sent to Susan two days before my wedding - the original seamstress missed something on my dress and was no longer available to fix it. In less than an hour, Susan and her team had completely fixed the issue. Additionally, Susan came up with another undergarment option for me, as my first one didn't seem to be working. So fast, so easy - wishing I had come to Susan from the start! Her whole team was so sweet. Thanks again, guys!!

Profile Picture Caprice, 5/21/16, 1 Review
Services Used: Undergarments, Bride, Alterations

I purchased my dress at a sample sale, and there was A LOT of work to do. Susan and her team did a great job explaining everything that needed to be done, the complexity of it, but reassuring me I was in great hands. Each fitting was quick and professional, and my dress turned out perfectly! The pricing was extremely reasonable... no one's better than Susan and her team!

Profile Picture Liane, 5/14/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)

If you have a vintage dress that needs some expert revamping with out losing it spirit, I would not hesitate to call on The Wedding Dresser. I believe that what ever you need in line for your dress they will do with care and precision.

Profile Picture Karla, 2/6/16, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

I got my dress from Lovely. As they don't have in-house tailors, I needed to find someone to help with my dress -- and the vendors they recommended were both expensive and located in Manhattan. My mom did some additional research and found Susan. After reading the New York Times article about her, we decided she would likely be a good fit.

I was expecting to just be hiring a tailor, but in the end Susan also ended up supplying most of my accessories as well. She custom-made my cathedral-length veil with blusher (for half the price I was prepared to pay at Lovely); I also bought my hairpiece there, a pair of vintage crystal earrings, and, in a last-minute decision, a pair of long gloves. It was much more convenient to be able to pick out accessories with the dress, and overall her accessories were just as elegant, if not more so, than those at the fancy wedding boutiques at half the price.

My gown was form-fitting, so it required a lot of work in terms of alterations. Susan and her team did a great job in fitting it to my body and making some last-minute switches after some wedding-stress-related weight loss. She also set up the dress's bustle, and showed me how to walk in the dress (which was a challenge in itself!) Overall, it was great to work with Susan and I'd highly recommend her services.

Profile Picture User6391712, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Jewelry
Services Used: Alterations, Bride, Hair Accessories, Jewelry, Veils

I just want to express my gratitude for the work you and your team did on my reception dress. I was extremely impressed with the efficiency that was used to complete my dress in three weeks time. The fact that you were able to turn a wedding dress into a comfortable and perfect fit, reception dress was amazing. Everyone was in love with the dress and I was able to dance the night away. If I have any future dress alterations, I will not hesitate to visit your boutique. I thank you once again and encourage anyone who has any alterations to be made to visit you pronto. Thank you for your great work and contributing to making my wedding day a memorable occasion.

Profile Picture Ana, 9/26/15, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

I can't stress enough what a GREAT experience I had working with Susan and the her team at The Wedding Dresser! I came in with a vintage dress from the 50's, that had a bit of dry rot, and she delicately restored the dress at a VERY REASONABLE price. Seriously, I had the loveliest time working with her and never felt like I was being price gouged, upsold, or any of the other things I've heard from brides dealing with alterations and such. I would--without a doubt!--recommend Susan and her team to anyone that needs work done on their wedding dress, especially those of the vintage variety. These folks are pros!

Profile Picture Erika, 9/18/15, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Susan and the team updated and revamped my mother's wedding dress from 1959. They worked tirelessly to get everything right and make the major alterations that the dress needed. The value was amazing, given the work they had to do.

Profile Picture Diane, 7/17/15, 5 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Susan and her team are fantastic. She went above and beyond to fix my wedding dress as it was poorly constructed in its original condition. She made sure I was happy and was always accommodating my crazy schedule for our fittings. On my last fitting, the dress still needed a few tweaks and she/her team fixed it within a few hours - we went out to lunch and came back to a perfectly fitting dress!! Thank you so much Susan - you worked so hard to make me happy and the dress looked stunning on the day of my wedding!

Profile Picture J, 6/6/15, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Nothing ever fits me right, but I don’t trust those big bridal shops and the small boutiques are just too snooty. The price was right and the time frame was perfect. Kind people who know their stuff. I’d trust them with any garment.

Profile Picture Syreeta, 3/6/15, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Susan is so awesome. Thank you for making me look beautiful in my wedding dress. Had 3 fittings with Susan, she is all business though. Nice, but all business. My dress had a complicated train, but she was able to make my bussle look beautiful when it was time to party! Thanks again Susan!

Profile Picture ElizabetH, 1/30/15, 1 Review
Category: Dress & Attire

Even though I've given 5 star reviews to al of my vendors so far, The Wedding Dresser definitely deserves the high rating. I purchased a sample dress that was an awkward fit, as it was too big is some places and too small in others. Complicating the matter was that the seaming of my dress wasn't like most dresses (it created an S-shape along the torso), and the dress had a giant embellished shoulder piece with a stand-up collar. Moreover, my weight fluctuated the entire time I was in alterations: I lost weight, then gained weight, then lost even more weight, requiring two or three additional fittings. Susan and her staff handled it expertly. The complicated alterations were perfectly done, and everyone could not have been nicer or more professional. I attended most fittings by myself, and her staff was super helpful and honest about how the dress was fitting. Susan was also knowledgable and helpful in shopping for undergarments, sending me to the perfect place for me. Susan also dropped the dress off at the cleaners a couple days before the wedding, saving me an errand during an already jam-packed wedding week. By the wedding day, the dress looked perfect. It was unbelievably well-altered, so much so that multiple guests asked if it was custom made! Susan and her team are truly skilled magicians/seamstresses!

Profile Picture Suzanne, 1/18/15, 6 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire

Susan was great and did an amazing job altering my wedding dress. She was easy to get a hold of and helped answer any questions I had. I will definitely go back to her the next time I need alterations.

Profile Picture Jessie, 9/26/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Dress & Attire, Unique Services (Other)

Susan made my wedding dress absolutely perfect, exactly as we'd discussed and exactly as I'd envisioned it. She is the consummate professional, calm and even-keeled from the moment you meet her. She has tons of experience in the industry and I got the sense right off the bat that no mission was impossible! I would recommend her to anyone.

Profile Picture Lauren, 6/7/14, 2 Reviews