The Wedding Dresser Reviews

63 | Brooklyn, NY

63 Reviews for The Wedding Dresser

63 The Wedding Dresser Reviews

Melissa · Getting married on 10/27/2018

Amazing! My dress came out gorgeous!!!! Susan and her team and professional and warm. I had a wonderful experience

• O

Olivia · Married on 10/06/2018

Susan did a beautiful job adjusting my dress. I came to her with a dress and topper that were several sizes too large and had a short amount of time. She was able to completely take apart the topper and put back together perfectly.
    The wedding dresser has very fair prices and provides a high quality and professional service. Highly recommend!

Joetta · Married on 08/12/2018

I wore my mom's dress from her wedding. The dress fit me pretty well, but after sitting in my mom's closet for more than 20 years, it needed some work. It was a bit wrinkled and needed a good cleaning. Some things needed to be fixed and there were some minor alterations it needed. After 3 fittings with Susan, the dress fit me perfect like it was made for me! the dry cleaning got out stains from 20 years ago, and all the wrinkles were gone.

The Wedding Dresser 1

Elysia · Married on 05/18/2018

After 6 months of dress shopping at EVERY boutique in the NYC area, I amazingly found my dream dress at David’s Bridal! That said, it LOOKED like a couture piece from a much higher end store (a trumpet shape with all over beading and lace and buttons and ruffles on the skirt), and when I had first asked the seamstress at DB about alterations, she cocked her head to the side and said she’d never done that dress and started suggesting the weirdest looking bustle. NOPE. I knew I had to look elsewhere for my alterations on this particular dress. I’m so glad I did my research because Susan was AMAZING. I was instantly drawn to the fact that she has a costuming/theatre background (I’m a performer myself and if a wedding dress isn’t a “costume” I don’t know what is!) and I knew I’d be in good hands with her work. I was able to make an appointment on relatively short notice about 6 weeks out with Susan who was sweet and extremely professional and has an amazing eye for detail. She double checked and even redid the work of some of her assistants to make sure it was just right (again, my dress was super complicated) and explained each alteration she would be making for financial transparency. At my first appointment I was a bit nervous with all of the pinning and whatnot on such a fancy dress (she even convinced me not to wear Spanx because it added an extra layer of fabric that the dress might gather on to make bulges… who knew?!), but when I came in for my second fitting IT FIT LIKE A GLOVE. I already looked like a million bucks and I didn’t want to take it off. We adjusted the hem and straps a little bit more and added some cups, and by the time I left my third appointment it was absolutely perfect. A huge shoutout to her hardworking team as apparently the skirt was a particular beast to hem (again, scalloped ruffles), but it was GORGEOUS and I am still getting compliments on the dress (and how amazing I looked IN IT). Thank you Susan and everyone at the Wedding Dresser!

The Wedding Dresser 2
  • Crystal

Crystal · Married on 03/30/2018

Lovvveeedddd the way my dress fit me! I was suppose to be married in Puerto Rico in November 2017, but didn't because of Hurricane Maria. I went for my first wedding fitting in September 2017, a few days after the hurricane. I didn't know if we were to still marry at that time. Susan was very understanding and said she would hold my dress until everything settle down. I ended up cancelling and rescheduling my wedding four months later in Brooklyn. Susan even gave me advice on where to look for a venue. She honored the prices from 2017 and still gave me my three dress fittings. I had lost 13 pounds and went down a few dress sizes. My dress was big on me and had to be taken in. Fast forward to my last fitting -My dress was perfect! I loved it. It fit me like a glove! Everyone at Wedding Dresser was professional and accommodating. I will have to come back and post my professional pictures and more details of my dress!

The Wedding Dresser 3

Jessica · Married on 03/24/2018

Susan and her team are amazing! From the minute I met her I knew I was in the right place. She listened to my ideas and offered her insight, ideas and suggestions and they were greatly appreciated and valued! Her entire team is amazing, professional and truly gifted at what they do! After our initial meeting- I had no doubts or concerns that I was in great hands and that my dress would be altered perfectly. Every appointment I went to was seamless and amazing and I was never rushed at any appointment. I am so glad to have found this amazing place and team... thank you!!!

Brynna · Married on 10/21/2017

Susan and her team did an amazing job modernizing my dress. It was my mother’s and she made me feel so comfortable and I knew the product would be great. She was able to update the dress while keeping it with the same major features. I could not be happier with the outcome!

Sent on 12/23/2017
    The Wedding Dresser 4

The Wedding Dresser's reply:

Thank you for the lovely review Brynna! Restyling your vintage wedding gown was a fun journey! I was so pleased with the results changing the lining from pink to ivory and happy that we found a lace so close to the original vintage lace.

Sarna · Married on 11/27/2016

Susan Ruddie came to us through Gabriella bridal salon where we purchased the dress. Susan was incredible to work with. Very precise, detail oriented and expert in her alterations. She also ended up altering my rehearsal dinner dress for me. I highly recommend her.

Megan · Married on 10/29/2016

Schuyler was amazing! He came to the venue and, while we were having our hair and makeup done, steamed my dress, veil, sash, and all of our shawls. My dress had undergone a car ride from the midwest to NYC and was significantly wrinkled up until the morning of the wedding. By the time he had finished up, the dress was perfect. He also tied my sash with a gorgeous bow and helped me put on my veil. Throughout the entire experience, Schuyler was warm, helpful, and incredibly detail-oriented. I am so happy he was there!

Caroline · Married on 10/15/2016

I decided to use Susan and her team based in part on online reviews, so let me advise the next round of brides: hire them! I had a lovely experience getting fitting and alterations here with a sample dress I bought online for 50% off. No pressure to do anything I didn't want, which can be a relief in the upselling world of wedding dress shopping. Susan, Schuyler, Tressa, and everyone else were friendly and relaxed. My wedding dress looked beautiful and felt comfortable-- you're in excellent hands with these guys.

Sarah · Married on 10/09/2016

I decided to try out Susan based on all the glowing reviews I'm so glad I did! Her space is a little bit unconventional - not a storefront, but inside a residential Brooklyn apartment building. That's part of its charm. When you walk in for your first fitting, you see the many accessories she has for sale along the wall - many pieces that have a vintage look. Her lovely assistant Tressa helps you get in and out of the gown, and Susan gives careful consideration to your dress and your needs. My dress has a chiffon overlay on top of beautiful lace, and she designed my bustle to allow the lace to peak through in the back - a really unique, personal touch that looked BEAUTIFUL. She made a video on how to fasten the bustle that was very helpful to my Maid of Honor on the Day-Of. One little snag I hit was that I left my wedding shoes at her apartment during my final fitting and I only realized the day before the wedding! Susan was kind enough to offer to courier the shoes to the hotel I was getting ready the next day. I was nervous, but when I got to the hotel, sure enough, they were there waiting for me with the concierge. Now THAT'S service!

Susan has a kind and gentle way that makes working with her really a pleasure. She did a flawless job on my couture gown, and I have to say, I'm sad I have no more excuses to go see her! One last note of recommendation - I opted for 2 hours of their "Dressing Service" on my wedding day, which was FANTASTIC. I originally booked it because I simply needed someone to steam my dress, but it turned out the person they sent was a professional Fashion Stylist named Stacie. Stacie arrived at my hotel to steam my dress, advise on where to fasten an heirloom broach to my dress; then she came with me to the venue to "fluff" me for the Pro photos. She and my photographer got along great, and I have to say they were really a dream team! So if you're on the fence about the Dressing Service - don't hesitate, it's worth it.

Amie · Married on 07/30/2016

An all-around great experience working with Susan and her team! I had purchased my wedding gown online and needed a few alterations. Booking appointments was easy and the fittings went smoothly. My dress was done in just 2 quick appointments about a month before my wedding day. Thank you for making the dress look as if it were made specifically for me!

Caprice · Married on 05/21/2016

I was sent to Susan two days before my wedding - the original seamstress missed something on my dress and was no longer available to fix it. In less than an hour, Susan and her team had completely fixed the issue. Additionally, Susan came up with another undergarment option for me, as my first one didn't seem to be working. So fast, so easy - wishing I had come to Susan from the start! Her whole team was so sweet. Thanks again, guys!!

Liane · Married on 05/14/2016

I purchased my dress at a sample sale, and there was A LOT of work to do. Susan and her team did a great job explaining everything that needed to be done, the complexity of it, but reassuring me I was in great hands. Each fitting was quick and professional, and my dress turned out perfectly! The pricing was extremely reasonable... no one's better than Susan and her team!

Karla · Married on 02/06/2016

If you have a vintage dress that needs some expert revamping with out losing it spirit, I would not hesitate to call on The Wedding Dresser. I believe that what ever you need in line for your dress they will do with care and precision.

I got my dress from Lovely. As they don't have in-house tailors, I needed to find someone to help with my dress -- and the vendors they recommended were both expensive and located in Manhattan. My mom did some additional research and found Susan. After reading the New York Times article about her, we decided she would likely be a good fit.

I was expecting to just be hiring a tailor, but in the end Susan also ended up supplying most of my accessories as well. She custom-made my cathedral-length veil with blusher (for half the price I was prepared to pay at Lovely); I also bought my hairpiece there, a pair of vintage crystal earrings, and, in a last-minute decision, a pair of long gloves. It was much more convenient to be able to pick out accessories with the dress, and overall her accessories were just as elegant, if not more so, than those at the fancy wedding boutiques at half the price.

My gown was form-fitting, so it required a lot of work in terms of alterations. Susan and her team did a great job in fitting it to my body and making some last-minute switches after some wedding-stress-related weight loss. She also set up the dress's bustle, and showed me how to walk in the dress (which was a challenge in itself!) Overall, it was great to work with Susan and I'd highly recommend her services.

Ana · Married on 09/26/2015

I just want to express my gratitude for the work you and your team did on my reception dress. I was extremely impressed with the efficiency that was used to complete my dress in three weeks time. The fact that you were able to turn a wedding dress into a comfortable and perfect fit, reception dress was amazing. Everyone was in love with the dress and I was able to dance the night away. If I have any future dress alterations, I will not hesitate to visit your boutique. I thank you once again and encourage anyone who has any alterations to be made to visit you pronto. Thank you for your great work and contributing to making my wedding day a memorable occasion.

Erika · Married on 09/18/2015

I can't stress enough what a GREAT experience I had working with Susan and the her team at The Wedding Dresser! I came in with a vintage dress from the 50's, that had a bit of dry rot, and she delicately restored the dress at a VERY REASONABLE price. Seriously, I had the loveliest time working with her and never felt like I was being price gouged, upsold, or any of the other things I've heard from brides dealing with alterations and such. I would--without a doubt!--recommend Susan and her team to anyone that needs work done on their wedding dress, especially those of the vintage variety. These folks are pros!

J · Married on 06/06/2015

Susan and her team are fantastic. She went above and beyond to fix my wedding dress as it was poorly constructed in its original condition. She made sure I was happy and was always accommodating my crazy schedule for our fittings. On my last fitting, the dress still needed a few tweaks and she/her team fixed it within a few hours - we went out to lunch and came back to a perfectly fitting dress!! Thank you so much Susan - you worked so hard to make me happy and the dress looked stunning on the day of my wedding!

ElizabetH · Married on 01/30/2015

Susan is so awesome. Thank you for making me look beautiful in my wedding dress. Had 3 fittings with Susan, she is all business though. Nice, but all business. My dress had a complicated train, but she was able to make my bussle look beautiful when it was time to party! Thanks again Susan!

Suzanne · Married on 01/18/2015

Even though I've given 5 star reviews to al of my vendors so far, The Wedding Dresser definitely deserves the high rating. I purchased a sample dress that was an awkward fit, as it was too big is some places and too small in others. Complicating the matter was that the seaming of my dress wasn't like most dresses (it created an S-shape along the torso), and the dress had a giant embellished shoulder piece with a stand-up collar. Moreover, my weight fluctuated the entire time I was in alterations: I lost weight, then gained weight, then lost even more weight, requiring two or three additional fittings. Susan and her staff handled it expertly. The complicated alterations were perfectly done, and everyone could not have been nicer or more professional. I attended most fittings by myself, and her staff was super helpful and honest about how the dress was fitting. Susan was also knowledgable and helpful in shopping for undergarments, sending me to the perfect place for me. Susan also dropped the dress off at the cleaners a couple days before the wedding, saving me an errand during an already jam-packed wedding week. By the wedding day, the dress looked perfect. It was unbelievably well-altered, so much so that multiple guests asked if it was custom made! Susan and her team are truly skilled magicians/seamstresses!

• Jessie

Jessie · Married on 09/26/2014

Susan was great and did an amazing job altering my wedding dress. She was easy to get a hold of and helped answer any questions I had. I will definitely go back to her the next time I need alterations.

Lauren · Married on 06/07/2014

Susan made my wedding dress absolutely perfect, exactly as we'd discussed and exactly as I'd envisioned it. She is the consummate professional, calm and even-keeled from the moment you meet her. She has tons of experience in the industry and I got the sense right off the bat that no mission was impossible! I would recommend her to anyone.

Jeniffer · Married on 11/30/2013

I needed some changes made to my wedding dress, I wanted to use my mother’s dress, but it needed a little bit of updating. I felt pretty hopeless that I was never going to be able to rework my mom’s dress into something fresh and fun, but The Wedding Dresser dream team came to the rescue. I am so glad I found them, my dress turned out amazing. More than amazing. Tears of joy!

Margaret · Married on 09/22/2013

The Wedding Dresser team was a pleasure to work with. I had several alterations on my dress, including taking the bust in, doing the hem and reworking a lace jacket. They did an amazing job, and my dress and jacket fit perfectly!