30 Reviews for The Urban Event

Decor (1)
Parking (1)
Wheelchair Access (1)
30 The Urban Event Reviews

We held our wedding here in mid-March of 2018 in the first floor space and had an amazing time! For our space we did not have any issues except for a couple things not completely setup when we arrived. These were quickly fixed when we asked for assistance. There were three weddings in the building that evening but we were never bothered by the others, we really wouldn't have known they were there had we not seen them earlier in day while setting up. There was one elevator issue that evening but luckily it did not impact our family and friends, it sounded as if another group had overloaded the weight capacity. The owners were good to work with as long as you do not want someone to "hold your hand" so to speak throughout the entire process; if you need that, please have a wedding coordinator with this venue. The owners are much easier to get in contact with via phone than by email, which I appreciate. The price for our space for a 150 person wedding with all tables, chairs, linens, glassware, plates, etc. included could not be beat! The only downside was having to use their contracted bartending service but we were allowed to purchase our own alcohol to bring in. We were initially leery of the venue due to the reviews but we fell in love with the space and decided to take the gamble. I am so glad that we did. Our wedding here was everything we had envisioned it to be, very little stress, and the best value we could ask for. If you are on the fence about this venue, take the chance; especially if you want the first floor space. I would have no hesitations on having another event here.

Profile Picture Ashley, 3/16/18, 2 Reviews
0.5

Look beyond the View of this Historic Building...Just attended a New Years Wedding at this Venue and it was a disaster from the start. The elevator didn't work to to get guest to the lower level. The entire building was so cold and the thermostats were either shut off or locked at 64 degrees. The sleazy owner was present most of the time and when asked to turn up the heat he said "tell everyone to wear their coats". Pretty hard to celebrate with wearing your coat. The owner also turned off lights on guests sitting at tables and the staff never cleared the tables of dirty dishes and glasses nor did they tidy up the bathrooms the entire evening.

Profile Picture Lynn, 12/31/17, 1 Review
0.7

We did not have a good experience. Everything went south the week of the wedding. Nicholas called us on Monday telling us the elevator was broken. We called Christina to try to find out more details and start to make a new plan. The said they did not trust the elevator to take our 150 guests up to the 8th floor, that there was an elevator part on the way but would not come in for the wedding. Everything we had planned for 9 months was thrown in the trash. They told us we had to move to the first floor and basement. I never liked the first floor option because of the split level and having to organize 2 spaces, and here I was having to do just that a few days before the wedding. The were never apologetic or offered any help with making the new plans. I then had to spend extra money at the last minute with decorating the split level space; 2 bars, the DJ change floors, getting elderly guests to the basement without an elevator. The day of the wedding we found out on our own that the elevator was in working order and there was another wedding on the 8th floor. Our groom and bridal suites changed as well. When we arrived the morning of the wedding, there was no staff to help and the rooms were all very hot. Thanks to friends and family many guests never knew of all the disaster. As for the actual event, the photo booth that was promised in writing for the night was only open for 1 hr and then chained up. Guests water glasses were never refilled, most of the dirty dishes stayed on the tables, especially the head table. It had dinner plates until we left. We never got the rooftop views, pictures and ambiance we were promised. They told us we would get some sort of a refund, that never happened. Yes this place is still bad.

Profile Picture Emily, 10/7/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Definitely glad we had our wedding at the Urban Event. The thing about this venue is that it includes so many extras you won't find anywhere else without paying a lot more, or renting and bringing it in. All tables and chairs and the chairs are chiavari, floor length linens and napkins (variety of colors for napkins), actual silverware, water goblets and plates instead of plastic, and mirrors and vases you can use. Chris and Nick are nice and easy to work with, however you do have to contact them, they won't prompt you so make sure you stay on that. Only disappointment the day of was that we were supposed to get the photo booth for 2 hours of our reception, and it was never brought up. No one noticed and everything was still great, but bummed because it was supposed to be included.

Profile Picture Gina, 9/4/16, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Wheelchair Access, Indoor, Bridal Suite, Centerpieces, Chairs, Decor, Tables, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens
0.0

BE AWARE THIS COMPANY IS A CON.. THERE ARE MULTIPLE LAW SUITS UNDERWAY TAKING HIM TO COURT FOR NOT PROVIDING WHAT CLIENTS PAY FOR. FIND ANOTHER PLACE - DO NOT GIVE THIS MAN A DEPOSIT - AS YOU WILL NEVER GET IT BACK.. HE WON'T PERFORM WHAT HE PROMISES AND HE DOESN'T CARE IF YOU COMPLAIN. MANY WEDDINGS HAVE BEEN CANCELED DUE TO HORRIBLE EXPERINCES FROM RECENT CLIENTS. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE - IT'S A BEAUTIFUL PLACE - BUT HE HAS RUINED THE BUILDING AND THE BEAUTY OF THE SPACE. HE IS A CON - WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN.

Profile Picture ROSEMARIE, 6/11/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Lighting & Decor, Party Supplies, Rehearsal Dinner Location, Unique Services (Other), Wedding Planning

My husband and I had a great evening wedding. Chris and her staff did everthing so my family and friends didn't have to. She set up the wedding on the three floor and cock tail hour and reception on the eight floor with table cloths, napkins, and we even used her chargers so we didn't have to rent them. All of her suggestions we fantastic from the food to the DJ. I wish I could get married everyday.

Profile Picture User6290787, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We were very hesitant with booking with The Urban Event after reading many bad reviews but I absolutely fell in love with the venue the moment I walked it. I was so worried after reading the reviews that I toured close to 15 different venues. No others could even compare so we decided that we would "risk it" and book with the urban event. We could not be any happier that we did. The whole process leading up to the wedding went very smooth. Any questions that we had were answered quickly and they made sure that the set up was exactly what we wanted. The only hang up that we had was the elevator wouldn't open on some of the floors so we had to take the stairs. If I had to do it all over again, I would choose the urban event everytime. I would highly recommend the first floor/basement as our wedding couldn't be more perfect.

Profile Picture michelle, 12/5/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Urban Event turned out to be the best venue to meet all our needs for our daughter's wedding. Kris and Nick were extremely helpful the day of the wedding. While my daughter had a specific look she was going after and we brought all of our decorations, we did need a few things from Nick and Kris. They were very helpful in making sure we had what we needed and getting it where we needed it. The elevator worked perfectly throughout the day and evening making it VERY easy for our guests, caterers and other services to get where they needed to be. Kris and Nick were on site all day (the day of the event) and made sure not only my daughter and I had what we needed, but actually called a couple of our caterers to ensure they were running on time - this was an added bonus that helped the bride to not worry.
I would definitely use this venue again and recommend it to friends and family!!! As a matter of fact, I already have.
THANK YOU NICK AND KRIS for the beautiful venue and all your help!!!

Profile Picture User6053287, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Ceremony Music, Event Rentals & Photobooths
Services Used: Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Chairs, Tables, Bridal Suite, Lighting/Sound, Parking, Indoor
3.8

Absolutely gorgeous venue. I fell in love when Nick showed us! We had our reception on the 8th floor with access to the 3rd floor with the bride and groom suites. I love that they have open catering and open liquor vendors. Chris was straight forward on their offerings and pricing and is knowledgable about weddings. Be prepared to write everything down so you don't forget specifics. I do not believe use of the photo booth for 2 hours was in the contract but was included. They offer use of vases and other centerpiece options but don't show you any options so we went with providing our own centerpieces and our florist set them up. Chris would respond within a day or so via email for any random questions I had Up until about 3 months out. They provide servers but they only buss tables so you do need a caterer to handle food. I was worried that we wouldn't be able to use the rooftop that we were promised but Chris reassured me 3 months before that my wedding party and I would have access. I tried multiple times via email to set up a final walk through with no response so I would call if you get no response to not stress out. Make sure you are thorough and have all of the details written for the final walk through. You have to go through a separate company to gain access to the parking lot across the street and you have to pay so we opted out. The morning of the wedding the elevator was not working when the groomsmen were bringing up alcohol ( their service elevator does not work) so it was quite stressful for the groom. The bathroom was not clean enough along with other things that were out of place but Nick made sure that everything was done after some push from my family members. The elevator worked for the reception and it went off without any problems! We did have access to The rooftop. I had so many compliments! The venue is amazing but be very, very detailed with the owners and have a someone with a strong voice to ensure everything is correct the morning of!!!

Profile Picture Meredith, 10/3/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Chairs, Tables
1.0

The venue itself is beyond beautiful and I have no complaints about it. The service however was far below expectations. The owner was very friendly but his wife/co-owner was off-putting and abrasive and she was unfortunately my main point of contact. The elevator did not work most of the evening forcing our guests to walk up 8 flights of stairs after repeated assurance that it had been fixed and was in working order. The parking lot next to the building was promised to be open for guest parking and never was after being told all day it would be taken care of. I have called and emailed repeatedly to discuss these problems with them without a response back. It was truly a beautiful space but I would not recommend this venue to a friend due to the lack of service.

Profile Picture Jessica, 9/26/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Urban Event is a beautiful place to get married in. Their staff is amazing to work with and very attentive to the needs of the guests. You can't go wrong with the gorgeous venue and wonderful staff! Best night of our lives!

Profile Picture Amber, 8/8/15, 3 Reviews
2.7

So what I can say about the Venue is that the space is beautiful and so are the views. Thank goodness for artistic eyes and friends to make the day perfect. I would like to say that I don't have any complaints but I do. First, communication is lackadaisical. It takes days to get emails back and sometimes multiple emails for a response. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. You get one statement from the husband and another from the wife. It was somewhat of a cluster. The were major issues at the venue. From only having on person available for 3 floors, the space being dirty (esp. bathrooms), no running water in the men's room, water leaking from the ceiling, missing door handles and no way to get out of the catering room if the door closes. The biggest thing was the elevator breaking down, even though this was assured to be fixed and no problems with the elevator. It is a same that this had to put a damper on my day...good thing I didn't really know most of this was going on until the end of the night. I would recommend the venue again for the views and space only...if your willing to put up with the other potential issues.

Profile Picture Kathryn, 7/25/15, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We loved working with the staff at the Urban Event. Everything went smoothly and it was a beautiful space! Thank you so much!

Profile Picture User5302397, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

It was great working with Chris and Nicholas.
They wanted our daughter's wedding to go as planned. They were quick to deal with our questions and concerns prior to, during and after the wedding.
We would do another event with them!

Profile Picture Steven, 7/19/15, 1 Review
3.7

We fell in love with The Urban Event space immediately upon seeing it! The space is gorgeous and met our needs perfectly. Though the rental price was higher than comparable venues, because of the flexibility afforded us, it was perfect for our DIY wedding! We wanted a venue that would allow us to provide our own alcohol (rather than pay for an expensive bar package) and to arrange a caterer of our choosing (an acquaintance just getting on his catering feet), and The Urban Event facilitated this. We did encounter some frustration along the way (on more minor issues) - some offers were made verbally that weren't met in the end, and on the day of our wedding a number of little things were out of place and no staff was there to sort them out. However, we were willing to put up with these things because of the beauty of the space and the flexibility of the event staff, and I received a nice follow-up call from Jessica. I would recommend The Urban Event space!

Profile Picture Wendy, 6/28/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great to work with. Great place.

Profile Picture Nancy, 6/14/15, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

As with any large event there were a couple things missing at the beginning of the day, but Nick and Chris were quick to get us anything missing and rearrange things when necessary and were tireless in making sure our day went well. Nick himself went to go get an additional prop to make our wedding day photos and video that much more special.

All the items included in a wedding package make it easy to have a beautiful day, just add the final touches and it is guaranteed to look elegant.

Profile Picture Lauren, 6/7/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The venue is beautiful and we got a lot of compliments from our guests about how unique it was. We were on the first floor which had a lot of space and provided a different setting than a traditional reception venue because we had an upstairs and downstairs.
There is room for improvement on communication. At times throughout the planning process, I had a hard time of getting in contact with them. Also, there was difficulty on their side with managing when and what we paid, but we were able to work through it. Things did come together very well and we had a great party that our guests enjoyed. It's really nice that the venue provided the plates,
Glassware, linens and tables with chairs,
Photo booth and props. I think that you get a lot of value for the price you pay. It is also nice that you can bring in your liquor from a distributor and choose your caterer.

Profile Picture Emily, 6/6/15, 2 Reviews
3.5

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Urban Event. On the one hand, I loved our wedding. The space was beautiful and Chris was excellent and there the entire time the day of our wedding. The space is stunning, and I can't think of a better space for what we wanted. That said, we had a lot of challenges planning. I live out of town and let them know that I would be in town to do a walk-through of the venue with vendors 2 months before the wedding. We scheduled this well in advance and reminded them of them of the meeting the week of the meeting. When we arrived, Nick was showing the space to someone else and seemed to be trying to show us the space, as well. We told him we were here with our caterer to go over the floorplan, schedule, etc. He had no paper, no floorplan, nothing with him to take notes of anything we discussed. I happened to have printed out a floorplan that Chris had sent me, so the caterer took over and helped create the layout and walk through everything. I had to send this to Chris via email later in order to ensure that everything was conveyed correctly. Despite that stressor, everything was set up as planned the day of the wedding, and Chris was very helpful in arranging some logistics. It had been raining all week, and there were a few leaks from the roof. They placed buckets for these leaks. It did not bother me, but just FYI. The photobooth that they include for free is not high quality, but still fun for guests and a unique offering for a venue. I love the flexibility in who you can work with (we had Moxie Catering for both food and bartenders, and loved them). Everything is included in the cost, so none of those add-ons like other venues where your chair rentals, linens, dishes are all extra. This was a huge selling point. So the value of having the chairs/tables/linens/dishes/photobooth all included and the care that Chris went to on the day of the wedding was all wonderful. I only wish that the planning had been as clear.

Profile Picture Cara, 5/23/15, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Beautiful setting for a wedding reception. Guests were stunned by the views of the city. Chris was amazing the week leading up to and the day of the reception. We received so many compliments regarding the venue. Chris was very flexible, allowing us to set up at 8 am the day before the reception. Thank you for providing a beautiful space!!!

Profile Picture Derek, 5/8/15, 1 Review
1.0

I had my wedding here in April 2015. Everything they said they would provide was not provided. I was told I'd have a 3-tier dessert table and a 2-tier dessert table. I received 1 flat table for dessert.. so small, in fact, that when they set it up, half the plates were hanging off the edges..yes, multiple plates fell off thr table all night. The lady who owns the venue (Chris) I had been working with, DIDN'T EVEN SHOW UP AFTER PROMISING TO RUN THE WHOLE NIGHT. She didnt tell me she wouldnt be coming. I arrived at the reception so excited and then I realized, the first floor LOOKED HORRIBLE. Massive display table asking people to "call for viewing" was still up. Then I realized, she wasnt there. She sent her husband, and when I asked where she was, repeatedly, he said, "she doesnt come to every event." No explanation. No heads up. No remorse. MY BRIDESMAID WAS ELECTROCUTED BY THE "F" IN THEIR "FIRESTONE" SIGN. As if that isnt bad enough, INSTEAD OF ASKING IF SHE WAS OKAY OR SHOWING ANY CONCERN FOR WHAT HIS SIGN DID TO HER, NICK (CHRIS'S HUSBAND) WALKED OVER TO MY MOM AND TOLD HER SHE WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE LIGHT. He pulled her out of the reception multiple times telling her that he had gone "above and beyond" for us and that she owed him extra money for his effort. Chris gave me so much security prior to the big day assuring me by saying, "everything always goes within 5 minutes of how I plan it." Every vendor I had followed up and told me they had never seen anything run so unprofessionally. SHE HAS YET TO RETURN ANY OF OUR CALLS. EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY PUT DOWN THE 2K DOWN PAYMENT, I PROMISE YOU ARE BETTER OFF BEING OUT THE MONEY THAN HAVING YOUR WEDDING HERE. TAKE MY WORD.

Profile Picture Geony, 4/18/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Historic Firestone Building was a perfect venue for our big day! They provided so many things for us and made it so simple. They were definitely the best bang for our buck. We got use of their shuttle for photos, they already had linens and tables, set up everything. The decorations in the wedding room were already set up for us so we did not have to do much. The provided coffee, water, and tea, let us have the space from 9am until 12am, which many do not, and they had tons of vases we could use! We got to do the wedding in the building for no extra price and a rehearsal in it the night before as well. They provided the photo booth for no extra price, and of course the amazing view of Downtown Kansas City. Of course our day wasn't without a few hiccupps - the freight elevator wasn't working and the shuttle would not run at first (needed new battery) and then someone had knocked off the side mirror the night before so we could not drive it until it was fixed, but they fixed it so fast and we were able to use it for photos and everything worked out. The elevator also wasn't an issue because there was another elevator that we and all our vendors could use. Kris and Nicolas were just such amazing helpers with everything. Kris gave me excellent recommendations about vendors to use and also was my day of coordinator to make sure everything ran smoothly (which it did)! We also lost the keys to our car on Saturday night, and the staff helped work so hard to look and even called on Monday saying they still couldn't find them and asked if we had, which we had just found out we did, but it meant so much that they were still looking and trying to help us out. Overall these are great people to work with and I would highly recommend this event space to anyone!

Profile Picture Kelsey , 4/4/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue, Flowers, Wedding Cake, Wedding Planning

NOT YOUR TYPICAL REVIEW; We choose the 8th floor for our daughters wedding because of the spectacular view of downtown Kansas City MO. We did a run through the night before thinking everything was fine. However, a few hours prior to the wedding, we were told the wedding would have to be moved to the first floor. The bride was very dissapointed. With that being said, Chris and Nicholas did everything they could to make the night just as wonderful as they could. Sometimes it's what people do under pressure that shows their true character. They gave us a partial refund since we paid for the 8th floor. I would do bussiness with them again because I feel they treated us fair.

Profile Picture Janice, 3/27/15, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The owners were very easy to get along with. They made all of our ideas happen. The venue was beyond beautiful. We were able to have our ceremony and reception there. We received so many compliments from friends and family about how wonderful the venue was. Couldn't be happier with our choice!

Profile Picture Abby, 3/14/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Event Rentals & Photobooths, Wedding Planning

My reception at the Firestone was absolutely stunning. I still can't get over how breathtakingly beautiful it was. The tables were gorgeous, the atmosphere was stunning, the service was wonderful, the amenities like the rooftop were so unique and special. All of our guests had an amazing time and I was so pleased with how smoothly the reception went off. I felt like Chris really went out of her way to make sure the reception went off without a hitch. We had a few hiccups in plans a few days before the event and she was so flexible with me. I didn't have hardly any stress at all. Chris was very attentive during the entire planning process and never got annoyed (well at least that I was aware of :) ) with my many questions and emails. It was really an idyllic reception and I have no complaints about my experience. The day of was very special and Chris was there the whole time to make sure everything went well. Really, it was the perfect reception. I will note that as my husband and I were making arrangements with other vendors, a few vendors mentioned having had difficulties working with the Firestone in the past however we did not have any problems that I am aware of and we were extremely happy with the Firestone.

Profile Picture Mary T., 10/25/14, 7 Reviews