The Uptown Getdowns Reviews

18 | Oak Ridge, NJ

18 Reviews for The Uptown Getdowns

Giulia · Married on 09/28/2019

The best wedding band EVER

I can’t write enough good things about the Uptown Getdowns. So many of our wedding guests couldn’t stop raving about the music. The band is so talented, engaging, and know exactly what to play to have all guests, young and old, up on the dance floor having a great time. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone!!

Sent on 10/28/2019

Kerri Hickey · Married on 09/07/2019

Amazing- highly recommend

HIGHLY RECOMMEND. This band is awesome, they sound great, and have the best energy! If you want the have the best wedding ever, BOOK THEM

Sent on 09/20/2019
  • Sunny

sunny brower · Married on 08/24/2019

Hiring Uptown Get Downs was the BEST decision we made!

Hired the band for our outdoor tented wedding on 8/24. Working with Steve was great; he was extremely flexible, attentive and always available. The band learned the 5 songs we requested and absolutely nailed them. They really made our wedding come to life. The groom and I are still in awe of their performance, as well as, all of our guests. A few people asked us after the wedding for their contact info to hire. Book them!! You will be so happy you did.

Thanks Uptown Getdowns for everything! You made our day the best.

Sent on 09/06/2019
  • Emily

John Infante · Married on 07/20/2019

Best Wedding Band. Ever.

The Uptown Getdowns were hands down the best vendors we booked for our wedding! We'd seen them live before - both at a bar in Hoboken and at a friend's wedding - so we were confident going in that the quality of their performance would be excellent. But what we didn't anticipate was how incredibly communicative they were leading up to the wedding. Steve went above and beyond to get a sense of me and my husband, our guests, and the vibe we were trying to create. When our wedding day rolled around and it was 105 degrees, they still managed to get everyone on the dance floor. I cannot possibly recommend them enough!!

Sent on 08/03/2019
  • Jamie

Jamie · Married on 11/16/2018

You guys rock! Best band ever!

Hands down, the best band around. Not only are they all such great people, but they are such talented musicians! They brought such fun, joy and love to our special day and we were so lucky to have them there with us. Everyone danced all night long and shouted "Encore!" when they were done because no one wanted them to stop playing. Thank you guys for being so awesome and rocking our wedding!

Sent on 12/06/2018

The Uptown Getdowns's reply:

So glad you and Travis were pleased. It was a beautiful wedding and we were honored to be a part of your special day, thank you!

Alex Franchuk · Married on 10/14/2018

Incredible band; made the day all the more special!

The band was absolutely amazing! Throughout the night multiple people from both my and my wife's family came up to us saying they loved the band. They were always responsive in the months leading up to our wedding, and were able to accommodate all of our requests. The ceremony music was just what we had hoped for, and they kept the party going for the entire reception! They also seemed to pick up on what sort of music we liked from our discussions with them and really ran with it. It was a perfect selection and a perfect night! We are definitely recommending them to others.

Sent on 10/28/2018

The Uptown Getdowns's reply:

Thanks Alex. It was a gorgeous wedding and we were honored to be a part of it. Best of luck to you and Pamela. Hope to see sometime at show!

Mary Sanderson · Married on 08/11/2018

Unbelievably talented, Made our reception amazing

My husband and I wanted a live band but weren’t sure if we could afford it. My husband saw the band perform at a bar and got in touch. The band was super responsive and easy to work with. Their prices were within our budget. If it weren’t for their reasonable prices, we would be unable to have a live band! The Uptown Getdowns did not disappoint! They far surpassed our expectations. They offer an extensive and varied song list. They also offer to learn a variety of songs such as our first dance song and father/daughter dance. Our wedding had a wide variety of people, young and old, outgoing and shy, etc. The band was excellent catering to our varied guests and making sure everyone had fun. They followed any special instructions to a T. We can be awko tacos and they worked with us and made everything super easy and relaxed. They learned an important Irish song, The Parting Glass, for the last song of our reception. I will always remember that moment as one of my favorites ever. Thank you so much to the Uptown Getdowns. I would sincerely recommend them to anyone and would answer any questions about them.

-Ross and Mary

Sent on 07/10/2019

Amanda · Married on 04/07/2018

April wedding

This band was amazing!! So many of our guests were impressed and asked me for their information after the wedding.

Sent on 12/01/2018
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth · Married on 10/13/2017

My husband and I are SO happy that we discovered this gem of a band to book for our wedding in October 2017. They sounded AWESOME and kept the energy going all night through everything from having horn players engaging throughout the dance floor, adding some funky personality to the songs, emceeing an anniversary song, and inspiring a gigantic conga line. It was SO much fun and all our guests keep raving about it.

The band was also great to work with. They learned songs for us (and did it well), locked down all our preferences, got a feel for how our personalities should translate to the entertainment, and they were very professional and on-point with all the set-up & logistics. Even when our reception timeline got messed up during the wedding, they were able to just naturally go with the flow and flexibly adjust on-the-fly to make sure all the important moments and songs were covered. Great people, great music, great decision to hire this band!

Sent on 11/05/2017

Kelly · Married on 06/23/2017

The Uptown Getdowns were an absolute pleasure to work with. They had a huge library of songs to choose from and were extremely professional. They learned our requests with no problem. They looked great, sounded great and Pete did a wonderful job announcing and emceeing. They were fun and keep the party going all night!! Affordable and extremely talented. This is the wedding band you should go with. You will not be disappointed!!

Sent on 07/25/2017

Christopher · Married on 05/20/2017

Book the Uptown Getdowns if you want to have a seriously rocking reception! My guests were up on their feet dancing the night away to a perfect mix of music from every decade from the 60s to current hits and a nice balance of slow and faster songs. Steve, their drummer, is the main contact for the band, and he was completely relaxed and responsive to every question. When I contacted him he was quick to reply, and we even got to have a nice phone chat to talk more about our vision before we decided to book them.

Their song list is extensive, but they are also super flexible when it comes to learn a few new songs that are special to you. I requested a few songs from their "extras" and "special requests" list, and they made sure to play them for me. They even got someone to play a custom song for our ceremony! Our mothers (gay wedding here) were a little slow on deciding what song they wanted to have a mother-son dance to, but they were quick to rehearse it when given a week's notice, and it was perfect. And personally, every band member I talked to was just a genuinely great person - nice, funny, quick-witted, professional, and knowledgeable about their craft. Mary, their main vocalist, has a unique talent to lend her voice to a wide variety of musical genres and sound great in all of them (just look at their song list on their website), and vocalist/pianist Peter was the perfect emcee for the night - funny, sentimental, and great at reading a crowd. And Steve - a top-notch ad-hoc manager for his band that knows how to deliver a great party at a reasonable price.

My guests couldn't stop raving about the band, and I'm still hearing from them today (the day after) about how awesome they are. One guest is even looking to book them for her own (non-wedding) event! As one guest said, "Can I book them to play my life?" They made a perfect soundtrack to a wonderful night, and because of them I still can't stop dancing even today.

Sent on 05/21/2017

Leila · Married on 03/25/2017

Three Words: BOOK THEM NOW! I can't speak highly enough about how awesome The Uptown Getdowns are. Every single step of the planning process was handled so professionally and put me at ease. The band learned multiple songs for us and made our wedding so special. I wish I had recorded their entire performance so I could listen to it again and again. Every single person at my wedding came up to us to find out where we found the band. One month later and my friends and relatives are still talking about how awesome The Uptown Getdowns were. Make your planning process a piece of cake and look no further; we want to get married again just so we could have another private performance!

PS: Have them play "Reminiscing" at some point. It's seriously better than the original. Love them!!!!

Sent on 04/19/2017

The Uptown Getdowns's reply:

Thank you for those kind words, Leila. It was truly a pleasure to be part of your wedding. And what a lovely wedding it was! Hope to see you both again sometime. -UTGD

Danielle · Married on 02/18/2017

Our wedding would not have been the same without the Uptown Getdowns. Almost a month later and every guest we talk to raves about how much fun they had at our wedding, largely in part to the GREAT band. We found them at Finnegan's in Hoboken, NJ and were instantly impressed. Should you want to elevate the experience - be sure to add the horn section. They interacted with the crowd and added a whole other element.

Planning with Steve was effortless - he was so easy to talk to and willing to collaborate for every part of the night.

Equipment and lighting was top notch and the band was professional and personable throughout the entire evening.

We would HIGHLY recommend them and couldn't have imagined our special day without them.

Sent on 03/21/2017

Serafina · Married on 08/29/2015

My wedding is next weekend, and I have been in touch with this band for about 7 months now with respect to the wedding. So far, I cannot say enough great things about them. But let me try. First, my fiance and I went to hear their live show before hiring them, and we loved them. Their style, and their song list, was basically what we were looking for. They are a little on the mellower side, which we really liked. That said, they do provide a very wide range of music, so I think they will make all of our guests happy. Second, the contact at the band, Steve, has been just amazing. He is super responsive, really makes an effort to stay in touch throughout the whole planning process, and really makes an effort to not just provide music but really help with the coordination of the entire evening. Third, they charge about half the price. When my fiance and I attended a wedding of a friend a few years ago, they had a great band, and we decided if we get married we must have a band. But when I started looking into the prices, I was very discouraged. So I am really lucky to have found these guys! I am pretty certain one would not be able to find a band of equal quality for this price, and I am almost sure that one wouldn't be able to find a band of any quality for this price for a Manhattan wedding.

UPDATE: wedding was amazing, everyone loved the band! People were dancing all evening, only sat down briefly to eat. Even my husband, who really never dances, was on the dance floor, and not just with me - I caught him dancing with his friends as well, which I have never seen at any wedding or other event we've ever been to. They did a really great job MC'ing, everything went so smoothly, and they nailed the song for our first dance.

Sent on 08/20/2015

Valerie · Married on 10/11/2014

The Uptown Getdowns just played my wedding on Saturday. They were ridiculously awesome. I actually probably neglected some of my bride duties because I could not keep myself off of the dance floor. My guests felt the same way and were there with me on the dance floor until the last song was played. The only time the dance floor wasn't packed was when the band took a break to hit the photobooth. These guys are seriously awesome and if I could hire them every weekend to follow me around to my friends houses and local bars, I would. They play a huge variety of music from motown, to funk, to 80s to 90s to more contemporary top 40 kind of hits. You will not be sorry if you hire the Uptown Getdowns. They are really the best.

Sent on 10/16/2014

Melissa · Married on 06/14/2014

The Uptown Getdowns were so awesome! All of my guests had a great time! They got the party dancing instantly! They will learn up to 5 songs for your wedding! We had a blast !

Sent on 06/30/2014

Renee · Married on 07/24/2011

More than any other professionals we hired, I wish I could give our band, The Uptown Getdowns, SIX out of five stars. They were absolutely amazing. Steve was the point-person--what a great guy! So down-to-earth, organized, professional, and friendly. Their website was very helpful too. I wanted to surprise my husband by singing a song to him and I wanted to perform it with the band. The band was totally down! They even let me drop in during one of their rehearsals to practice the song with them. And they were so friendly and supportive during the rehearsal; I really appreciated it.
    On the day of the reception, they were at the venue hours beforehand, set up and ready to go. They looked great and they were calm, cheerful, and confident.
    I've recommended this band to four of my friends already. They made the party vibe exactly what we wanted. You won't be disappointed!

Sent on 12/29/2011

Catherine · Married on 06/11/2011

If you want excellent music at an afordable price for your wedding The Uptown Getdowns are the way to go. They made my wedding awesome. People who don't dance on a regular basis were up dancing at my wedding. They are very accomadating with learning new songs. Honestly they will make your wedding day so rememberable and fun!!!!

Sent on 08/26/2011