The Uptown Getdowns Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2018 Winner
    Bobby C. Married on 09/05/2021

Amazing and talented

A really incredible, talented band who are super professional and extremely easy to work with. They kept all our guests up dancing all night. No one EVER LEFT the dance floor. They made our special day amazing.
    Michael R. Married on 08/15/2021

Hands down, our favorite vendor!!

This is an incredibly good band that brings a ton of energy to the party. We saw them perform at another venue and were very interested in having them play at our wedding. Steve, the drummer/manager, was a joy to work with. He was very thorough in asking us our song preferences, managing the party's timing, and ensuring that everyone was sure to dance.

In addition, we were very impressed with the hora they played. Not only did they learn new songs that we requested, but they learned some of the Hebrew lyrics as well! And the horn section made it unforgettable. (We suggest getting the horn section even if you're not doing a hora).

10/10. We highly recommend The Uptown Getdowns!
    Randi F. Married on 07/11/2021

Best Wedding Band Ever

Having The Uptown Getdowns at my daughter and son-in-law's wedding was the best decision we made. They provided fantastic singing, quality sound, and so much positive energy that everyone had to get up and dance! Excellent from start to finish!
    Peter G. Married on 06/19/2021

Best wedding band ever!

Before booking the band, we saw them play at a few bars and other events, and each time they impressed us and played
    a really great variety of music. Once we booked them for the wedding, Steve and the rest of the band were so great to work with and learned songs for our wedding dances and other songs we requested. We received so many complements from our guests about the band, and they made the wedding go very smoothly and played incredibly well the entire time. We would love to book them in the future for other events, and will recommend them to all our friends getting married in the future!
    Louis C. Married on 06/19/2021

Best Wedding Band in NJ!

Could not have had a better experience with the Uptown Getdowns! From start to finish, the band was extremely responsive, easy to work with, and did I mention talented?!

There was not one single guest at our wedding that was not impressed by how well they sounded and interacted with guests on the dance floor. My wife and I decided to add the optional horn section, which was suggested by Steve the drummer. The decision couldn't have worked out better since the horn section was excellent and added a perfect touch to the already great-sounding band.

We could never understand why people opt for a DJ when you can have an 8 piece band play live music for all different eras. After hearing this band once, we will realize that you will never want to have a DJ at your wedding again.
  • Christine
    Christine Married on 05/30/2021

Cream of the crop!

From start to finish- the Uptown Getdowns were exceptionally accommodating, professional, talented & personable. Not only did they deliver an incredible performance at our wedding, they worked closely with us the entire process and remained flexible with our decision to post-pone due to Covid. Our guests really enjoyed the variety of music and the contagious energy they brought to the venue. Steve, in particular, really helped keep me calm and relaxed during the planning process! This band is made up of the best of the best, phenomenal musicians with big hearts, full of positive vibes and passion. Thanks for making our wedding day extra special & we look forward to seeing you perform locally.
  • Kelly
    Kelly V. Married on 09/27/2020

Amazing Music & Customer Service!!

I cannot say enough good things about the Uptown Getdowns! From our first contact, they were professional, responsive, and just genuinely good & fun people.

The day of, they were on time and ready to go! They set everything up in a timely manner; instruments, PA system, lighting, EVERYTHING. The music was phenomenal. They played a great mix of 70s/80s/90s/ and today's hits. I come from a family of musicians, and trust me when I say, all the musicians were flawless. They were also very willing to personalize anything and everything for me. I am a huge fan of 90's music and they did a special 90's block towards the end of the night for me!

I had so many people during the wedding, ask me "where did you find this band, they are amazing!" If you are considering booking the Uptown Getdowns, DO IT! You will not regret it!!!
  • Moira
    Moira G. Married on 08/22/2020

Best wedding band EVER!

We had the best time on our wedding day with the Uptown Getdowns! After reaching out through their website, we worked with Steve Dans, the band's drummer, who was very communicative and easy to work with. He helped us add a horn player to the group for the day, and lay out a timeline for our reception. The band learned 5 songs for us and everything on the wedding day was absolutely perfect! We received so many compliments from our guests that the band sounded great, brought an awesome energy, and kept everyone on the dance floor all night long! They made our reception such a fun party! It was exactly what we hoped it would be!
    Katie M. Married on 08/01/2020

Awesome band!

If you're anything like me, you take forever to make a decision. You read a million reviews, make a ton of phone calls and watch/listen to a bunch of songs or go see whatever band you're looking into. Let me just save you the trouble-book this band. I can't possibly say enough good things about them. Steve was my contact throughout and he could not have been more professional, friendly, and responsive, always answering my many questions and emails and adapting to changes in plans.

Their sound is the best part though- we had seen them in a bar and they sounded even better at our wedding. They learned our song weeks before the wedding and it was perfect. They had everyone up and dancing-even my 90-year-old grandma! They are true professionals and it shows-you can tell they've been playing together forever because their sound is absolutely flawless and their harmony is amazing. Not to mention their insane song repertoire! They really made our wedding so special and memorable. Book them-you won't be disappointed!
    Giulia Married on 09/28/2019

The best wedding band EVER

I can’t write enough good things about the Uptown Getdowns. So many of our wedding guests couldn’t stop raving about the music. The band is so talented, engaging, and know exactly what to play to have all guests, young and old, up on the dance floor having a great time. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone!!
    Kerri H. Married on 09/07/2019

Amazing- highly recommend

HIGHLY RECOMMEND. This band is awesome, they sound great, and have the best energy! If you want the have the best wedding ever, BOOK THEM
  • Sunny
    Sunny B. Married on 08/24/2019

Hiring Uptown Get Downs was the BEST decision we made!

Hired the band for our outdoor tented wedding on 8/24. Working with Steve was great; he was extremely flexible, attentive and always available. The band learned the 5 songs we requested and absolutely nailed them. They really made our wedding come to life. The groom and I are still in awe of their performance, as well as, all of our guests. A few people asked us after the wedding for their contact info to hire. Book them!! You will be so happy you did.

Thanks Uptown Getdowns for everything! You made our day the best.
  • Emily
    John I. Married on 07/20/2019

Best Wedding Band. Ever.

The Uptown Getdowns were hands down the best vendors we booked for our wedding! We'd seen them live before - both at a bar in Hoboken and at a friend's wedding - so we were confident going in that the quality of their performance would be excellent. But what we didn't anticipate was how incredibly communicative they were leading up to the wedding. Steve went above and beyond to get a sense of me and my husband, our guests, and the vibe we were trying to create. When our wedding day rolled around and it was 105 degrees, they still managed to get everyone on the dance floor. I cannot possibly recommend them enough!!
  • Jamie
    Jamie Married on 11/16/2018

You guys rock! Best band ever!

Hands down, the best band around. Not only are they all such great people, but they are such talented musicians! They brought such fun, joy and love to our special day and we were so lucky to have them there with us. Everyone danced all night long and shouted "Encore!" when they were done because no one wanted them to stop playing. Thank you guys for being so awesome and rocking our wedding!

The Uptown Getdowns's reply:

So glad you and Travis were pleased. It was a beautiful wedding and we were honored to be a part of your special day, thank you!
    Alex F. Married on 10/14/2018

Incredible band; made the day all the more special!

The band was absolutely amazing! Throughout the night multiple people from both my and my wife's family came up to us saying they loved the band. They were always responsive in the months leading up to our wedding, and were able to accommodate all of our requests. The ceremony music was just what we had hoped for, and they kept the party going for the entire reception! They also seemed to pick up on what sort of music we liked from our discussions with them and really ran with it. It was a perfect selection and a perfect night! We are definitely recommending them to others.

The Uptown Getdowns's reply:

Thanks Alex. It was a gorgeous wedding and we were honored to be a part of it. Best of luck to you and Pamela. Hope to see sometime at show!
    Mary S. Married on 08/11/2018

Unbelievably talented, Made our reception amazing

My husband and I wanted a live band but weren’t sure if we could afford it. My husband saw the band perform at a bar and got in touch. The band was super responsive and easy to work with. Their prices were within our budget. If it weren’t for their reasonable prices, we would be unable to have a live band! The Uptown Getdowns did not disappoint! They far surpassed our expectations. They offer an extensive and varied song list. They also offer to learn a variety of songs such as our first dance song and father/daughter dance. Our wedding had a wide variety of people, young and old, outgoing and shy, etc. The band was excellent catering to our varied guests and making sure everyone had fun. They followed any special instructions to a T. We can be awko tacos and they worked with us and made everything super easy and relaxed. They learned an important Irish song, The Parting Glass, for the last song of our reception. I will always remember that moment as one of my favorites ever. Thank you so much to the Uptown Getdowns. I would sincerely recommend them to anyone and would answer any questions about them.

-Ross and Mary
    Amanda Married on 04/07/2018

April wedding

This band was amazing!! So many of our guests were impressed and asked me for their information after the wedding.
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Married on 10/13/2017
    My husband and I are SO happy that we discovered this gem of a band to book for our wedding in October 2017. They sounded AWESOME and kept the energy going all night through everything from having horn players engaging throughout the dance floor, adding some funky personality to the songs, emceeing an anniversary song, and inspiring a gigantic conga line. It was SO much fun and all our guests keep raving about it.

The band was also great to work with. They learned songs for us (and did it well), locked down all our preferences, got a feel for how our personalities should translate to the entertainment, and they were very professional and on-point with all the set-up & logistics. Even when our reception timeline got messed up during the wedding, they were able to just naturally go with the flow and flexibly adjust on-the-fly to make sure all the important moments and songs were covered. Great people, great music, great decision to hire this band!
    Kelly Married on 06/23/2017
    The Uptown Getdowns were an absolute pleasure to work with. They had a huge library of songs to choose from and were extremely professional. They learned our requests with no problem. They looked great, sounded great and Pete did a wonderful job announcing and emceeing. They were fun and keep the party going all night!! Affordable and extremely talented. This is the wedding band you should go with. You will not be disappointed!!
    Christopher Married on 05/20/2017
    Book the Uptown Getdowns if you want to have a seriously rocking reception! My guests were up on their feet dancing the night away to a perfect mix of music from every decade from the 60s to current hits and a nice balance of slow and faster songs. Steve, their drummer, is the main contact for the band, and he was completely relaxed and responsive to every question. When I contacted him he was quick to reply, and we even got to have a nice phone chat to talk more about our vision before we decided to book them.

Their song list is extensive, but they are also super flexible when it comes to learn a few new songs that are special to you. I requested a few songs from their "extras" and "special requests" list, and they made sure to play them for me. They even got someone to play a custom song for our ceremony! Our mothers (gay wedding here) were a little slow on deciding what song they wanted to have a mother-son dance to, but they were quick to rehearse it when given a week's notice, and it was perfect. And personally, every band member I talked to was just a genuinely great person - nice, funny, quick-witted, professional, and knowledgeable about their craft. Mary, their main vocalist, has a unique talent to lend her voice to a wide variety of musical genres and sound great in all of them (just look at their song list on their website), and vocalist/pianist Peter was the perfect emcee for the night - funny, sentimental, and great at reading a crowd. And Steve - a top-notch ad-hoc manager for his band that knows how to deliver a great party at a reasonable price.

My guests couldn't stop raving about the band, and I'm still hearing from them today (the day after) about how awesome they are. One guest is even looking to book them for her own (non-wedding) event! As one guest said, "Can I book them to play my life?" They made a perfect soundtrack to a wonderful night, and because of them I still can't stop dancing even today.
    Leila Married on 03/25/2017
    Three Words: BOOK THEM NOW! I can't speak highly enough about how awesome The Uptown Getdowns are. Every single step of the planning process was handled so professionally and put me at ease. The band learned multiple songs for us and made our wedding so special. I wish I had recorded their entire performance so I could listen to it again and again. Every single person at my wedding came up to us to find out where we found the band. One month later and my friends and relatives are still talking about how awesome The Uptown Getdowns were. Make your planning process a piece of cake and look no further; we want to get married again just so we could have another private performance!

PS: Have them play "Reminiscing" at some point. It's seriously better than the original. Love them!!!!

The Uptown Getdowns's reply:

Thank you for those kind words, Leila. It was truly a pleasure to be part of your wedding. And what a lovely wedding it was! Hope to see you both again sometime. -UTGD
    Danielle Married on 02/18/2017
    Our wedding would not have been the same without the Uptown Getdowns. Almost a month later and every guest we talk to raves about how much fun they had at our wedding, largely in part to the GREAT band. We found them at Finnegan's in Hoboken, NJ and were instantly impressed. Should you want to elevate the experience - be sure to add the horn section. They interacted with the crowd and added a whole other element.

Planning with Steve was effortless - he was so easy to talk to and willing to collaborate for every part of the night.

Equipment and lighting was top notch and the band was professional and personable throughout the entire evening.

We would HIGHLY recommend them and couldn't have imagined our special day without them.
    Serafina Married on 08/29/2015
    My wedding is next weekend, and I have been in touch with this band for about 7 months now with respect to the wedding. So far, I cannot say enough great things about them. But let me try. First, my fiance and I went to hear their live show before hiring them, and we loved them. Their style, and their song list, was basically what we were looking for. They are a little on the mellower side, which we really liked. That said, they do provide a very wide range of music, so I think they will make all of our guests happy. Second, the contact at the band, Steve, has been just amazing. He is super responsive, really makes an effort to stay in touch throughout the whole planning process, and really makes an effort to not just provide music but really help with the coordination of the entire evening. Third, they charge about half the price. When my fiance and I attended a wedding of a friend a few years ago, they had a great band, and we decided if we get married we must have a band. But when I started looking into the prices, I was very discouraged. So I am really lucky to have found these guys! I am pretty certain one would not be able to find a band of equal quality for this price, and I am almost sure that one wouldn't be able to find a band of any quality for this price for a Manhattan wedding.

UPDATE: wedding was amazing, everyone loved the band! People were dancing all evening, only sat down briefly to eat. Even my husband, who really never dances, was on the dance floor, and not just with me - I caught him dancing with his friends as well, which I have never seen at any wedding or other event we've ever been to. They did a really great job MC'ing, everything went so smoothly, and they nailed the song for our first dance.
    Valerie Married on 10/11/2014
    The Uptown Getdowns just played my wedding on Saturday. They were ridiculously awesome. I actually probably neglected some of my bride duties because I could not keep myself off of the dance floor. My guests felt the same way and were there with me on the dance floor until the last song was played. The only time the dance floor wasn't packed was when the band took a break to hit the photobooth. These guys are seriously awesome and if I could hire them every weekend to follow me around to my friends houses and local bars, I would. They play a huge variety of music from motown, to funk, to 80s to 90s to more contemporary top 40 kind of hits. You will not be sorry if you hire the Uptown Getdowns. They are really the best.
    Melissa Married on 06/14/2014
    The Uptown Getdowns were so awesome! All of my guests had a great time! They got the party dancing instantly! They will learn up to 5 songs for your wedding! We had a blast !