The Toledo Zoo Reviews

The Toledo Zoo 6
The Toledo Zoo 7

Kelly · Married on 01/19/2019

Perfect & unique!

Having our wedding at The Toledo Zoo was perfect and better than we even imagined- even if it happened in the middle of a snow storm! We had our first date here + were engaged here, so we picked to get married here! The aquarium was beautiful and worked out perfectly for us! Lexie was extremely professional, always responsive and made our day run smoothly from beginning to end. The zoo staff were helpful, kind and polite. The food was delicious, and the service was even better! I can’t recommend the zoo enough. All of the wedding venue options are beautiful and unique! If we had to redo our entire day over again, the zoo would still be our #1 choice!

Sent on 03/11/2019

The Toledo Zoo's reply:

Kelly we loved you and Alex and loved having the honor of planning your big day! Snow storm and all we had the most magical time. We know we will see you again soon at our Zoo!!

Maggie Mcpartland · Married on 01/07/2019

Lexie was so helpful and willing to work with us on our vision!

We couldn’t have asked for a better staff and wedding reception.

Sent on 02/07/2019

The Toledo Zoo's reply:

We had so much fun seeing your vision come to life! We wish you and DJ the absolute best. Your love for each other is what makes our jobs so worthwhile.

Bobbie-Jo D Newman-Buchanan · Married on 10/20/2018

friendly, helpful, ontime

Staff was helpful, the setup was great as well as clean up. I felt it could have been a little longer. As in, start at 5:45pm and end at 11pm. The Venue is gorgeous and its the one day that its all about the Bride and Groom.

The Toledo Zoo 12
    The Toledo Zoo 13
    The Toledo Zoo 14
    The Toledo Zoo 15

The Toledo Zoo's reply:

Thank you so much for your review Bobbie-Jo! We absolutely loved setting up your beautiful decorations and it was an honor to host you and Logan's big day. We wish we could party all night long with you guys :) Hope you have been well and congratulations again!
  • Kristi

Kristi Sulewski · Married on 10/06/2018

The Toledo Zoo took care of everything!

My husband and I love the Toledo Zoo and so it was the perfect place for us to get married at. We live in Texas now, so we needed a place that would take care of everything! The only thing my husband and I had to get outside of the zoo was our DJ, photographer, and officiant. We got married in front of the elephant exhibit and had the reception in the aquarium. All the guests loved the elephant that came out behind us during the ceremony and loved all the aquariums as a backdrop. Also, Lexie, one of the zoos wedding planners, was amazing!! She always responded to my emails in a timely manner and was patient with my busy teaching schedule, and a time zone difference, when I had to respond back. If you get the chance to get married at the Toledo Zoo, do it! I am so lucky to have been a stress-free bride and my husband and I both got to enjoy our wedding day.

The Toledo Zoo's reply:

Kristi thank you SO much for your kind words! It was an honor to host you and Ryan and all your guests. We had so much fun planning with you and watching your big day come to life! Congratulations once again to you both, we wish you well!

Molly · Married on 08/11/2018

The Toledo zoo exceeded our expectations. They made our wedding dream come true. The appetizers were amazing with the crab stuffed mushrooms and veggies. They decorated for us we just provided everything and gave instruction on what we wanted. Lexie was amazing and very responsive with emails through the whole planning process. Catie was our coordinator and did an amazing job as well. She helped us pack everything and ensured nothing was forgotten. The staff that was working was very nice and well dressed. Having our wedding at the Toledo zoo was our dream and it was 100% what we wanted and surpassed our expectation. Our guests were all amazed and loved the beauty of the formal garden for our ceremony. We went to the aquarium for the reception. Guests loved how close those two venues were together so they could walk and enjoy the scenery. <3

The Toledo Zoo's reply:

Molly we greatly appreciate all your thoughtful words about our Zoo! We are so thankful that your wedding was everything you dreamed for - this is our ultimate goal! Please come see us again soon. Congratulations to you and Brian, we wish you all the love in the world!

Katrina · Married on 08/26/2017

Absolutely fabulous! From the initial meeting to our last dance everything was smooth and perfect. The staff was personable and professional. They made planning easy and handled a lot of the finer details for us. The venue was beautiful in the aqua and the gardens we perfect for photos. Wish we could do it all over again just to work with the staff. It was a dream come true!

Morgan · Married on 07/08/2017

The price of the Toledo zoo is comparable with most other venues in the area, the benefit of choosing this venue (besides that it is totally awesome and unique) is that it is all inclusive! The staff at the Toledo zoo took care of every little detail leading up to and on our big day. Staff was on hand every moment to make sure that everything went to plan and headed any issues off without a hitch! Our guests are still raving about the awesome experience at our aquarium ceremony and cocktail hour in the African pavilion. Our reception was in the Nairobi pavillon and it wa absolutely gorgoues. The staff from start to finish was professional and fun and it seemed like they actually enjoyed their jobs! They took time to make sure that myself, my husband and our bridal party had every little thing we could need at every moment. Good was excellent, alcohol was great, great options for entertaining kids. If I had to do it all over again, I'd look no farther than the zoo.

Shanda · Married on 02/18/2017

This place was beautiful! We were very happy with them!!!

If you want a stress free wedding day, have your wedding at the Toledo Zoo! Jenni and Mic went above and beyond to make sure our day went seamlessly. The Gardens at the Zoo are beautiful and our guests were impressed with everything the zoo had to offer. I do not have a bad thing to say about our experience at the zoo. The Food was incredible and the catering staff was top notch. SO HAPPY we had our wedding here.

• Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 08/27/2016

The zoo was absolutely amazing! We had our ceremony and reception in the aquarium and everything was perfect! The staff was amazing, the coordinator Jen and her intern Lexie were amazing. The food was amazing. Our big day was truly a fairytale! Highly recommend. Completely worth every penny. They made the day go smoothly and having them set up and tear down was so nice! I loved everything about the zoo! Amazing venue.

Amy · Married on 05/09/2015

The event staff at the zoo made planning my wedding so easy. Bailey was amazing and responded to any questions I had during the planning process along with being there the day of. My wedding day was perfect and there were no issues at all. We had initially planned on getting married in the gardens, however the weather made that not an option so we used the back up plan in the indoor theater. Alicia was my onsite wedding coordinator and was available and helped me with any needs I had throughout the day. The staff throughout the entire zoo was amazing, especially all the staff in the Lodge for my reception. I can honestly say that I would not choose another site for my wedding or my reception. The zoo was fantastic and helped to ensure that the day was amazing for me and my now husband.
    I also used the Timberline Bakery for my cake and wedding favors. They were able to decorate the cake exactly the way I wanted it. Their cake flavor choices were amazing and so many different frosting choices along with it. The cake was amazing. I also had them do cut out cookies for all my guests as part of our favors. They were so adorable and tasted amazing.

My husband and I were married there on 5/8/15, and everything was simply amazing. We were the first couple to do so in the newly renovated aquarium. The details were all taken care of marvelously by Bailey Streib. She was the best. From making sure everyone was where they needed to be on time, to catering, to making sure the fussy flower girls stayed happy and scream-free through the ceremony; she handled it all with ease. There is a sound system available in the aquarium, which helped our officiant out. We only had 100 guests, but the main area could have easily sat 50 more. The grounds were kept pristine and the staff was extremely accommodating. The transition from ceremony to cocktail hour to reception runs smoothly, and is expedited at an appropriate pace to make sure guests have enough time to mingle, but don't get bored. The reception, which was in the Great Hall inside the Museum of Science, was flawless. You bring your decorations for everything the day before at the rehearsal (included in the cost of the event), specify how everything is to be set up, and the staff takes care of everything for you. It was especially wonderful for me. I walked into the reception hall and was just as stunned at the beauty of it all. The food was delicious, and the chefs had no problem catering to the guests with very specific dietary restrictions, from allergies, vegetarians, to a family with lactose-gluten-egg intolerance. The Zoo also handled the wedding cake and cupcake, which were delicious! Bailey and her assistant were also there to ensure my husband and I were on time for the major events in the reception (cake cutting, first dance, bouquet toss, etc). The entire staff was extremely efficient at clearing tables of unwanted (and sometimes wanted) plates and glasses. The whole event was well worth all of the money. My only recommendation would be to extend the bar time & have specific glasses for the wedding party that won't be taken away whilst you're out dancing.

Kelsey · Married on 08/16/2014

The Toledo Zoo was perfect for our wedding. We had our ceremony in the Formal Gardens, cocktail hour with the penguins, and our reception in the Great Hall. Everything was absolutely gorgeous and we got tons of compliments! Bailey, our coordinator, did such a great job helping us plan and also was a huge help the day of. All of the staff seemed super knowledgable and managed everything very well. It was very helpful to know that everything was all taken care of together and we didn't have separate vendors for rentals, caterer, cake and planner. The coordinators there set things up for us, so all we had to do was drop everything off the night before. That was great! Appetizers, dinner and cake were all delicious! I would definitely recommend anyone to get married at the zoo.

I had heard from a few different people that the Zoo offered a bakery wedding cake services. I was interested because their prices seemed to be very reasonable and did not know how the quality would be. My biggest concern when I had been contacting other bakeries was their response time. Working with people who are very responsive and take your phone calls and emails seriously was important to me. Working with Timberline was amazing. They double checked all information we emailed and corresponded on the phone several times. They were excellent to work with.

And now the actual cake. It was absolutely beautiful. We had a pink ombre four tier cake and it look incredible. I am not even sure how they make the ombre color work so perfect when we picked 4 different frostings for each tier but it look incredible. Everyone loved the cake it was fun because we had 4 different cake flavors and frosting flavors. We ordered a cake that fed 150 people and we only have 100 people at the wedding but we only have a slice or two left after the wedding. The cake was delicious. I was a huge fan of their frosting flavors my favorite was cinnamon sugar with the cake of snicker doodle. It was amazing.

Kathy · Married on 06/21/2014

We loved the whole concept of having my daughter's reception @ the Toledo Zoo. Colleen and Bailey were excellent to work with in planning her special day. The food was delicious! Service was exceptional! Everyone went out of their way to assist you in anything you may need. The Nairobi Pavilion located in the African Exhibit was so awesome! The Overlook was great for drinks/hors d'oeuvres! We paid to have the animals out during the cocktail hour which was so cool! All our guests loved it! Atmosphere was so different than any other reception I ever went too! We wanted something unique and we got it! I'll never forget that day! Thanks again!!!!

I cannot say enough about the helpful staff at the Toledo Zoo, but I will try. During the 18 months between booking the zoo and the wedding there were staff changes. Our original contact kept in contact with us up until the end to make sure we were feeling good, and our new contact was knowledgeable about the decisions we had already made and clearly did her homework.

Working with Bailey was such a great experience. I felt like I didn't have to worry about anything.

I also appreciate the helpful staff that was provided on the day of the wedding and at the rehearsal. They set up the tables perfectly, checked on me throughout the night, and helped pack up after the reception was over. They carried umbrellas around during pictures just in case it rained.

If you are looking for a unique venue that will make your life easier and your day very special, go with The Toledo Zoo. You will not regret it!

My experience with the zoo was fantastic. Colleen is great to work with, and our wedding coordinator made everything so easy for us. Everything went so smoothly! The food was delicious! Our guests complimented everything from the food, the friendly staff, the beautiful setting, etc. I definitely recommend the zoo for a ceremony or at least reception venue!

Michelle · Married on 09/14/2013

Colleen Tankoos and her event staff at The Toledo Zoo were absolutely fantastic to deal with from beginning to end. Colleen always made us feel as if we were her only priority-when I knew that she had many clients to deal with. She always had a smile on her face. She is a "can-do" type of person- the kind of person you want to deal with when spending a lot of time and money on a wedding. My daughter wanted a venue that was somewhat unique and fun and could accommodate 350 people. We booked the Zoo's Nairobe Pavilion for her reception and it was everything we could hope for and more. We had many requests that were over and above the basic wedding package- from the size of the dance floor to carpeting a portion of the facility to the chairs to the number of appetizers we would serve during cocktails. Colleen handled each request and was able to provide those services at a reasonable cost. Nancy Gold, the catering manager was excellent to work with and was on site the entire event to make sure everything was perfect. The wait and bar staff were friendly and accommodating and our "day-of" coordinator, Bailey handled everything beautifully. Even the animals were cooperative and accommodating - hanging around during cocktails for our guests to enjoy. It was a truly magical evening and I highly recommend The Toledo Zoo for any event large or small.

Kasey · Married on 09/14/2013

Working with Samantha was great! We used Timberline Bakery for our wedding at Toledo Botanical Gardens. They did a desert table and we got a ton of compliments on the cupcakes they made and how nicely the table was presented. So happy we went with Timberline!

Our day was wonderful! The whole team at the zoo made everything very unstressful. Everything was done the way we had discussed. The food was awesome and so was the cupcakes!!!

The Toledo Zoo was absolutely perfect- friendly and detail oriented staff, outdoor garden an huge pavilion for a reception of delicious food, unique decor and a fun dance floor! Plus African animals out for cocktail hour! Perfection!

Amazing. The zoo was so accommodating and had such a wonderful staff to help. They made wedding planning easy for me and were able to immediately answer any question I threw at them. The wedding was perfect, everyone did such an amazing job that night. If I could do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing.

My wedding at the Toledo Zoo turned out so much better than I had expected! My guests still talk about how awesome and fun it was. They loved the venue. The cost was unbelievable! ColleenTankoos and her staff were just fabulous through the entire process. Even my other vendors commented on how great the staff was at the zoo. Ladies, while you're looking & comparing venues do NOT overlook this gem!!!!!! My wedding was in April and yes it was cold but no snow thankfully. We had the reception in the Arctic Encounter and it was so stunning and beautiful inside I could not get over it. I planned my wedding in under 3 months so I had a lot of decisions as well as changing my mind a bit, Colleen was so wonderful and calming through all of it. She made it so easy and just outstanding! THANK YOU SO MUCH Colleen!!

Liz · Married on 06/02/2012

Colleen, Tiffany, and Michelle worked as a wonderful team to create my fairytale wedding. From the little extra touches during the ceremony, to the food, and linen everything was amazing! The formal gardens create a picture perfect backdrop to our garden wedding. The weather cooperated but if it hadn't there was always a rain space back up plan.

The food was delicious and the reception was fun! Having an appointed wedding planner made everything easier, Michelle really went above and beyond.