The Sutherland Reviews

The Sutherland 5
The Sutherland 6
The Sutherland 7

Maddy Ward · Getting married on 01/04/2020

The perfect place for the wedding of your dreams!

The Sutherland made the wedding planning process a hundred times easier. Christy was so organized and made sure that everything was done. She was so great at giving advice and really listening to Sid and I! The Sutherland is a perfect backdrop for a wedding and all of the vendors associated make it the perfect venue. My wedding was the best day of my life, I cannot recommend the Sutherland enough!

Sent on 05/07/2019
    The Sutherland 8

Sandy Jeffreys · Getting married on 07/20/2019

Beautiful and unforgettable Wedding

Stunning and beautiful The Sutherland was a wonderful and unforgettable location for my daughter’s wedding. Our event planner Christy was there to organize and keep everything and everyone together every step on the day. A beautiful memory in an exceptional location- what more could you ask for!

Sent on 04/16/2019

Morgan Parker · Married on 03/17/2019

Best decision

By far the best decision in my wedding planning process was choosing The Sutherland as our venue! Christy Ethridge was kind, talented, encouraging, and extremely organized. I can't imagine pulling all the details together for our day without her help and guidance. The mix of indoor and outdoor settings for the ceremony and reception was perfect for our early Spring wedding; the house and gardens are so naturally pretty that it's a great venue for any season of the year. I cannot recommend this venue enough!

Sent on 03/27/2019
    The Sutherland 9
    The Sutherland 10

Katie Miller · Married on 12/08/2018

Miller Wedding

We had our wedding at The Sutherland on December 8, 2018. We cannot say enough great things about The Sutherland. From the first meeting until the last, we knew they truly cared for us and wanted to make sure we had the perfect wedding day. Our wedding planner, Christy, was the absolute best! She truly cared about what we wanted and did everything possible to make sure we had the perfect day. She is just awesome and you will never have to stress over your day with her as a planner. The venue itself is so beautiful and the staff is amazing. We had the most perfect wedding and we would choose The Sutherland again and again!

Sent on 01/05/2019
    The Sutherland 11
  • Tammie

Tammie Webb · Married on 12/08/2018

The Sutherland Estate and Gardens

We made the right choice by selecting The Sutherland Estate and Gardens as the venue for our daughter's wedding. Every detail was taken care of with professionalism. The house is gorgeous with plenty of southern charm and provides a wonderful background for the bridal portrait as well as the grounds surrounding the property. I was able to enjoy the day with Katie and her attendants and not worry about anything. Christy Ethridge was absolutely wonderful and was by our side during the entire planning process and I can't thank her enough for all the help and attention to detail she provided. Her efforts did not go unnoticed and we received many compliments from our guest. We were so pleased with the outcome on the day of the ceremony and highly recommend this venue to any bride looking for a venue. You will not be disappointed.

Sent on 01/09/2019

Carrie Pingree Crank · Married on 12/01/2018

Perfect day!!

The Sutherland was an amazing venue! The staff was so helpful during our entire planning process and on the day of our wedding everything went so smoothly! I could not have asked for a more perfect wedding day! I loved the pavilion and even with some rain and a tent, the wall garden was so pretty for our ceremony! I would highly recommend The Sutherland to anyone!

Sent on 02/18/2019

Hayle · Married on 11/03/2018

The most perfect day...

Wow! All I can say is Wow!! The Sutherland Estate and Gardens was the perfect venue for my November 2018 wedding. The grounds are breathtaking... from the walled garden to where our ceremony was held, the side of the house and oak tree for cocktail hour and the indoor pavilion for the reception with market lights! Not to mention how much fun it was to get ready inside the house with my bridesmaids!! The Sutherland staff and Christy Ethridge were fantastic to work with. Christy was our day of coordinator but helped us out frequently in the last few months leading up to the wedding. They think of every detail so EVERYTHING goes perfect and smooth on your wedding day. I felt 100% confident with Christy and the staff to help us pull off a flawless wedding day and all I can say is that I don't think I could have dreamed of a more beautiful day. Thank you to Christy, The Sutherland and the rest of the staff for their support leading up to the wedding and all their hard work on our wedding day!! I actually kind of miss talking to Christy on a weekly basis :) Thank you!!

Sent on 11/14/2018

Kathryn · Married on 08/18/2018

My husband and I worked with Christy Ethridge at The Sutherland and she was OUTSTANDING! I planned a good bit of the wedding from out of state and Christy was incredibly accommodating to me. She even took a few hours to give my mom a separate tour after we booked at The Sutherland so that she could walk through it again and feel more comfortable. The whole team at The Sutherland are rockstars. They made our wedding day so incredibly seamless. If there were any problems or if anything went wrong, I had no idea! And that made it such a relaxing, wonderful day for us and our families.
    - Also I want to note that the forecast had scheduled for rain to start at the beginning of our outdoor ceremony and Christy did everything she could to keep our vision of an outdoor wedding. She truly went above and beyond to make our day perfect! My husband and I could not be any happier! :)

Sent on 10/03/2018

Ashley Loewen · Married on 07/27/2018

Nothing short of amazing!!

Christy from The Sutherland was wonderful! She was extremely professional, and made sure that everything was being done in a timely manner. She created a timeline and was very organized, so I wasn’t stressed. I also loved having her work with me because she knows all the ins and outs of the wedding world! She was able to help me think outside of the box when it came to decorations, because I was a bride on a budget. All in all, my experience with Christy and the Sutherland was wonderful! 10/10 recommend!

Sent on 02/15/2019

Bays · Married on 07/21/2018

We had an incredible experience with our recent summer wedding at The Sutherland. Christy's guidance through weather "concerns" was invaluable and we ended up having a gorgeous evening to enjoy an outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour! I am thrilled with our decision to choose this venue and we are still receiving compliments weeks after!

Sent on 08/22/2018
    The Sutherland 12
  • Emily

Emily · Married on 06/02/2018

Our wedding was amazing because of the help of Christy and the Sutherland staff! I chose this venue because it is seriously GORGEOUS and also the package comes with a planner and day of coordination. Our wedding day could not have been better without the help of Christy and everyone else there. Christy is sweet, down to earth, and such a wonderful planner!!

Sent on 07/07/2018
  • Brooke

Brooke Hirsch · Married on 05/05/2018

Beautiful May 2018 Wedding

We had the most amazing experience working with The Sutherland to plan the wedding of our dreams. Christy and the rest of the Sutherland team worked tirelessly to ensure every detail was perfectly executed which allowed us to relax and enjoy our special day with our friends and family! Our vision came to life and we can't thank the Sutherland enough for the beautiful memories that we will cherish forever.
    -Brooke & Eric Hirsch

The Sutherland 24
    The Sutherland 25
    The Sutherland 26

Kathryn · Married on 02/16/2018

My Daughter held her wedding reception at The Southerland in February of 2017. I live in Raleigh and my Daughter lives in DC. My Daughter had very distinct ideas of what she wanted for her wedding and Christy executed everything seamlessly. There was no issue with planning from out of town. All of the vendors were coordinated perfectly and the change in plans due to rain had no negative effect on our perception of the day. Thanks to Christy and The Southerland staff my Daughters wedding was "the best day of her life"!

Sent on 03/01/2018

Langley · Married on 02/16/2018

My husband and I were married at the Sutherland last month. From start to finish, working with the Sutherland team was absolutely perfect. The venue is beautiful and our planner, Christy, was incredible. I truly cannot imagine doing it without her. If you are looking for the perfect venue, with a responsive, professional and talented team, look no further!

Sent on 03/09/2018

Caitlin · Married on 11/18/2017

Christy was my wedding planner at the Sutherland. She is very timely, helps whenever help is needed, and makes sure that everything that needs to be done to ensure a carefree time at your wedding!

Sent on 01/09/2018

Jaconna · Married on 07/22/2017

I could not have asked for a better place to have my daughter's wedding. Christy was amazing to work with. She not only helped with the day of planning but carried it out to a tee. The Sutherland was beautiful and their staff did a great job.

Sent on 07/25/2017

Lisa · Married on 05/22/2016

From the second we stepped foot on The Sutherland property during our tour a year ago, we knew it was everything we wanted for our wedding. We had always envisioned a wedding that embraced a sense of history and nature, and that's The Sutherland. From the minute that Donna opened the door to the porch out to the walled garden, letting us know that would be the entrance to the ceremony, we knew that it was the place for us. It is such a grand entrance for a bride, the big moment that I was looking for.
    The house is stunning and the grounds are incredible - so much so that very little decor is needed to bring out the natural beauty. We had our ceremony in the walled garden, cocktail hour on the terrace, and reception in the pavillion. Each location has its own unique feel, but all with that southern chic that we were looking for.
    Getting ready at The Sutherland is an amazing experience! The brides suite is beautiful! It is such a comfortable and elegant setting, it looks great in photos and makes you feel so classy. My husband enjoyed getting ready in the settlers house - he and his groomsmen liked the masculine decor and felt right at home sipping their bourbon while waiting for the girls to finally be ready.
    Finally, one of the best things about The Sutherland is their incredible staff - specifically Donna. We don't live in the area, and planning a wedding from out of state adds a new level of stress - but Donna helped ease that stress immensely. From the time we booked until after the wedding - Donna took the time to keep in touch with us, checking on our planning, offering guidance, and assuring us that everything would be perfect. Our wedding day was everything we had ever dreamed of, and it would have not been that way without her hard work.

Sent on 08/07/2016
  • W

Whitney · Married on 04/22/2016

I love the Sutherland! It was the absolute perfect venue to get married and we got the most beautiful wedding pictures with the house and pavilion as a backdrop. We planned to get married in the garden but it poured down rain on our wedding day. They seamlessly moved the ceremony to the pavilion and it turned out amazing. I think it was even more perfect for us than Plan A, so I am unbelievably happy with the work The Sutherland's team can do. Ashlee answered all of my wedding questions, helped set up meetings with other vendors, had meetings with me and my husband to tell us what to work on next, etc. And they just take care of everything for you so you don't have to think about timeline and all the minor details and logistics that would be so hard to figure out yourself. AND, to top it off, we just opened our gifts and found two Sutherland wine glasses and a bottle of Chardonnay from our wedding. Already enjoyed that :) LOVE The Sutherland and I would recommend to any and every bride. Oh and our guests had the best time!

Sent on 05/05/2016

Katie · Married on 04/16/2016

I'm so glad I chose to have my wedding at the Sutherland! Donna was fantastic and helped me every step of the way. The entire process was as stress-free as possible, and the day of went smoothly! So thankful for this beautiful venue and their exceptional team.

Sent on 08/03/2016

Alexandra · Married on 10/25/2015

Every girl has a 'vision' for her wedding day - our wedding at The Sutherland three weeks ago far surpassed our dreams. Immediately following our Christmas engagement, we started visiting venues and as soon as we arrived at The Sutherland we KNEW we found the perfect backdrop for our special day.

We continue to receive compliments about the wedding and reception, and everyone comments that The Sutherland is the ideal venue for a classic, Southern wedding. The historic house was perfect for the bridal party as we gathered to get ready for the ceremony, and guests enjoyed touring the house during the reception. The Settler's House was the site for our wedding, and was ideal for our intimate ceremony. The grounds are breathtaking, and fortunately Mother Nature blessed us with sunshine and perfect Fall temperatures. Countless guests who live in the area said they had never heard of The Sutherland, and everyone said it is The Triangle's best kept wedding venue secret.

Donna and her team worked tirelessly behind the scenes - subtly directing every detail of the day. We never thought about what was coming next - our vision was executed to perfection. Booking our wedding at The Sutherland was the BEST decision - the planning process leading up to the wedding had minimal stress as Donna gently navigated us through decisions. She made sure she had a clear vision of our expectations for the day and just before rehearsal she said "Now, let us do our job, it's time for you to enjoy your day, and celebrate with your family and friends." The Sutherland has an outstanding list of vendors who have experience with the venue, and without exception every vendor raved about how wonderful it is to partner with The Sutherland team.
    Thanks Donna for coordinating the memory of a lifetime!!
    Best Day Ever!!!!
    Alexandra and Adam Williams

Sent on 11/12/2015

Stacy · Married on 07/12/2015

Our planner/coordinator at The Sutherland was Donna Burnette. In one word....PERFECT! The venue speaks for itsel....beautiful mansion,gardens, pavilion,etc. but the best is Donna and her staff. She was so very kind, professional, polite, CALMING,and responsive to our every need. Her staff the day of the wedding were equally as great! We could not have pulled off such a beautiful day without her help. We were truly blessed to have found Donna and The Sutherland!

Sent on 07/14/2015

Destiny · Married on 06/12/2015

Ashlee takes all the stress out of wedding planning! AWESOME doesn't even begin to describe her! Every worry, every dream, she took care of and made it happen. She alone is worth having tour wedding here... But the house and grounds are magical! And the bridal suite is the perfect place to spend the day getting ready :)

Sent on 06/19/2015

Sam · Married on 06/21/2014

Getting married at the Sutherland was a dream come true! The classic and historic white house was breath taking! The grounds were bright green and well kept with adorable brick pathways and lantern post lights. Everything about the Sutherland was charming!

We kept getting compliments all night long on how beautiful it was. Also, they just built a nice pavilion on the property. It was a great place to party the night away after such a lovely ceremony in the Sutherland's garden. I would recommend this venue to anyone! I absolutely loved it!

Sent on 06/26/2014

Anna · Married on 06/07/2014

The Sutherland is a dream wedding venue. The staff is friendly, helpful, polite, flexible. Our wedding day ran smoothly thanks to Ashlee's awesome ability to coordinate, manage, and oversee every detail.

Sent on 06/09/2014

Jayme · Married on 06/01/2014

Having our wedding here was truly a dream. Everything was effortless. Ashlee is a joy to work with. HAVE YOUR WEDDING HERE. It is incredible.

Sent on 06/09/2014