The Refinery Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2020 Winner

• Christopher
    Christopher B. Getting married on 12/07/2021

Only 5 stars?!?!

The refinery is BEYOND a value. The venue, the service, the accommodations are all above and beyond what we expected. We shopped around to multiple venues. For a similar venue, we were looking at 2-3 times what we spent on the refinery. This is before mentioning the unparalleled service that Joy provided to us. If you are looking for a venue with rockstar service regardless of budget, The Refinery is your place.
    Benny W. Married on 09/05/2021

Such a beautiful venue!

Joy was absolutely incredible. The venue was beautiful and so perfect for our wedding. Joy was so easy to communicate with. She made our wedding day flow so smoothly and made sure everything was being taken care of. I cannot imagine how our wedding day would have gone without her. She truly cares about her clients and we can’t thank her enough for everything she did. Every single person at the wedding mentioned how beautiful the venue was. We would recommend The Refinery to anybody getting married!!!
  • Gabby
    Gabby S. Married on 05/22/2021

Absolutely amazing!

When touring venues we fell in love with the look, location, and atmosphere of The Refinery. We also loved the price of the venue as it was cheaper than others and we had access to the space the whole day. Then after booking the venue and dealing with Joy Orr we were even happier with out choice of venue. She was easy to get in contact with and always super helpful. She ensured our day went smooth starting from day 1 of booking. Her staff was also great the day of to keep things going smoothly. Joy and her team are the best. I would definitely recommend The Refinery!
    Ryan M. Married on 05/15/2021

1000/10 Stars

I don’t think I have enough space in this review to say all of the good things I have to say about the Refinery. From the start of the planning process, to the final moments in the night of our wedding, Joy and her team were amazing people to work with. Joy was very prompt in replying to any and every question we had. We went through our timeline with her months in advance and it put us at so much ease with the level of detail that she helped include. She helped shape our wedding day down to the minute. Even with the minor hiccups we had, her support staff , Gwen and Julie, helped us through it. Our wedding party was absolutely obsessed with Joy and how kind and professional she was. They were very supportive and empathetic as we planned our wedding around COVID and 2020. I feel like giving Joy and The Refinery a 10/10 would not do them justice. There is no scale high enough to truly convey their professionalism, work ethic, and our overall pleasure in how special they made our wedding day. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for all you did.
  • Nicole
    Nicole R. Married on 04/24/2021

Elopement Venue

Joy and team were absolutely wonderful and helped sort out all details for my elopement, so it went smoothly! Highly recommend!
  • Lisa
    Lisa Married on 04/17/2021

Amazing venue!

Joy and her team are so helpful. Trying to plan a wedding in the middle of a pandemic can be extremely frustrating. But Joy talked me off the ledge multiple times. I'm so glad that we decided to keep our date. Our wedding couldn't have been any more perfect. The Refinery's pricing is more than reasonable for the amount of work they put in for their brides. Absolutely recommend! If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a single thing. Joy and her team are the best!
  • Nmpivonka
    Norly M. Married on 12/12/2020

Best supplier we ever booked!

We fell in love with The Refinery as soon as we saw pictures online - it doesn’t lie. The venue is really beautiful and would really give you that instant romantic vibe! It’s spacious inside specially the upper level where we held our ceremony. The bare beauty of the venue is already instagrammable worthy! We had a lot of compliments on our wedding day saying how they loved the venue! Definitely worth the drive coming from Northern VA! The staff of the Refinery were also amazing! Joy was so easy to work with. She was very responsive to all my questions. She worked with us since day one until our big day. Planning a wedding specially during COVID is really emotionally draining but Joy really managed to ease most of our concerns and help us navigate our way. We love how organized and responsible she was, it was definitely one less thing we had to worry about the day of the wedding! Julie, the event manager was also a big help on the day of. She came in early at the venue to make sure everything is where it should be and always checking in to make sure we are doing good. Trust me, these people are the sweetest! We can’t really thank them enough! Best place to say I Do and best team to work with! We really wish The Refinery and team success and many more years of making every couple’s dream come true! 5 stars isn’t enough for good people like them!
  • Danielle
    Danielle C. Married on 11/14/2020

There are no words to explain how amazing the Refinery is

I can not even put into words how incredible both the venue and the entire staff is. From the very first moment I walked in I knew this venue was special. Joy answered my millions of questions and went out of her way to make the day special.

Our caterer never showed up. Joy and her entire team went ABOVE AND BEYOND to ensure My husband and I still had the perfect day. They went to the store and got food for cocktail hour and went quickly to pick up pizza for our guests. They served all of the food, cleaned up trash, and I mean seriously did it all. Without them the entire day would have been ruined.

I can’t recommend them enough for your special day. If you want to get married somewhere that you don’t have to worry about a thing, somewhere you will feel like royalty, and somewhere that is absolutely gorgeous, this is the place.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for saving our wedding day.
  • Shelby
    Shelby T. Married on 10/31/2020

Dream team!

Joy and her team at The Refinery single handedly made our entire wedding day as perfect as we had imagined. Not only is the venue meticulously and beautifully decorated, but Joy's communication with us in the year leading up to the wedding was top-notch, and she went out of her way to answer all of our questions. She helped us navigate through drastically decreasing the size of our wedding when Covid-19 hit, and reduced our stress levels.
    On the day of the wedding, her coordination team was a DREAM to work with. Everyone involved in the wedding, from vendors to our wedding party, remarked how kind and organized they were. We would absolutely recommend working with The Refinery for your wedding or special event. You will not regret it!
    Tanner M. Married on 08/16/2020

Great venue and even better coordinator

Clean venue, easy to decorate. The venue is very nice and requires very little decoration. Joy coordinated everything for our wedding and the day of was perfect with no hassle to us.
  • Lindsay
    Lindsay L. Married on 08/16/2020

Everything was perfect!

The only wedding venue we visited, because we knew it was going to be the best one for our wedding! Everything was easy from start to finish, despite COVID, because Joy handled everything wonderfully. From answering our silly questions patiently and helping us prepare for the day of, to coordinating everything flawlessly day of to create a great event, we can't say enough about how happy we were with our experience!
    Danielle M. Married on 07/24/2020

Wedding/Elopement

Joy was a dream to work with. Incredibly professional. Insanely flexible (especially during the times on Covid and weddings/events). She takes care of her clients, and works closely with them to deliver exactly what they want/need for their special day. The space is gorgeous and Joy and her team are always making updates. Easy process. Affordable. Amazing all-around!
  • Rob
    Rob E. Married on 03/28/2020

Perfect Wedding Venue

Joy, the owner of The Refinery, was the best thing that happened to us during our wedding planning process. Not only is the venue absolutely beautiful, but Joy goes above and beyond to ensure every little detail of your wedding day is planned and goes smoothly. Joy offers her day of coordinating in the pricing for the venue, along with many decorations that are complimentary. Our initial wedding date was postponed due to COVID, and Joy was flexible and accommodating. She immediately reached out to us and confirmed our new date. Due to restrictions because of COVID, our caterer could no longer serve our cocktail hour and buffet. When Joy heard about this, she immediately reached out to hire extra help at no cost to us, to ensure our day was exactly how we had initially planned. The Refinery is one of a kind, and Joy is top notch. We would highly recommend The Refinery to anyone looking for a beautiful and seamless wedding venue!

The Refinery's reply:

Thank you, Rob! You and Allison were such an amazing couple to work with. Thank you for being so flexible and understanding during such a strange time. Wishing you all the most amazing marriage full of GOOD luck and happiness!
    Ji Jeong Married on 03/14/2020

Beautiful venue with beautiful team

I always imagined myself having a barn wedding. However, when I first saw the Refinery, both my husband and I fell in love with this venue! My husband didn’t really comment on other venues that we looked at, but when he saw this venue, he said “wow”. We both loved the rustic and industrialized venue (and who doesn’t like green plants!). Being able to have both the ceremony and reception at the same place was a big plus!
    And I HAVE to mention the Refinery team and JOY! Joy is really the best. The moment I talked with her for the first time, I could easily tell that she is not only an easy going person, but also loves what she is does and cares for the couple. She answered all my questions, helped me with vendor choices, helped manage my expectations, and really helped me to bring my dream wedding into life!

There are so many things that Joy and her team did for me on the wedding day. They took care of little details that I forgot about. Because of them, my wedding went so smoothly and everyone had a great time. Joy and her team definitely took off a lot of stress and burden away from me. I can’t thank them enough. My husband and I had a great memorable day thanks to Joy and her team!
  • Stacy
    Stacy L. Married on 03/07/2020

An absolute dream brought to life!

Joy and the Refinery Team are dream makers! From the first time we met, I knew we were in perfect hands to bring our wedding day to life. She took interest in the vision that we had and helped us troubleshoot through the logistics to bring it to life. With planning from out of state, Joy was there every step of the way from answering any questions we had, giving us vendor recommendations, assisting with vendor communication to make sure the details we were planning with our vendors would successfully work within the venue and assuring us that we could just be present in every moment of our wedding day and she would run the show for us. The Refinery is gorgeous! It is the perfect balance of urban industrial and romantic charm and sets as the perfect backdrop to bring any vision and style to life. Whether you’re local to Culpeper or looking for a charming location to host you event, The Refinery is the PERFECT space to bring your dream day to life. We can’t think of anything we would have done differently on our wedding day. It was a dream full of so many memorable moments and we have Joy and her fabulous team at The Refinery to thank for that!
    Raquel P. Married on 12/31/2019

Wedding Wizard

The Refinery’s team worked to make sure that our night was seamless. I would recommend this venue for any event, a work dinner, birthday celebration and like us a wedding! From start to finish we had the best day ever. The day after I was told of hiccups (things out of anyone’s control) and I didn’t even notice any of them because of how incredible their team was!!
  • Lisa
    Lisa C. Married on 12/21/2019

Excellent Service

The Refinery Review.

It’s been a few months since our wedding celebration in October. With the pandemic going on we were contemplating cancelling the whole thing or downsizing to our immediate family. From the day I had my first meeting with Joy and walk about the venue I knew this was where my husband and I wanted to celebrate our marriage . Joy the owners knows her stuff and was willing to accommodate and answer any of my random questions . With the pandemic raging and some health concerns of my own we kept going back and forth on dates. When we stuck with the date all the pieces started falling into place Joy helped us in creating our vision plus an what if option in case we had to change things last minute .

We had meetings over FaceTime while I was in the hospital. She was patient dealing with a chronically ill bride and an undeceive one at that . Day of the wedding she served as my day of coordinator making sure every one was where they needed to be going far and beyond he contractual duties . Joy played a major roof in us keeping our date , staying under budget and also making sure we kept everyone covid safe. We are already planning on using the venue again very soon for another event . The Refinery , Joy and her staff are unmatched in what they do . So much so she is in our wedding album .

Eunice Married on 12/15/2019

Fantastic!

My experience with the refinery was excellent. They were flexible and willing to work with me to make my special day amazing!!
    Alexandra K. Married on 12/14/2019

Couldn’t ask for anything better!

Joy and her team were a dream to work with and our day went flawlessly. We would use Joy and The Refinery over and over. It really was the best day ever.
    Sarina Married on 11/03/2019

Absolutely Perfect!

From day one to weeks after the wedding, Joy and her team were amazing. Joy answered messages promptly and reassured me (as the bride) whenever panic would set in. Our DJ, photographer, and caterer were recommendations from Joy and they were all excellent. The venue is truly a gem tucked away in Downtown Culpeper. The photos do not do the venue justice. All of our guests were in awe of the venue and one even said they wanted to get married there for their wedding. I cannot recommend Joy and the entire Refinery Team enough. A lot of wedding vendors look at you as a cash cow, but not Joy. She truly wanted to make sure everything went according to my vision (that definitely changed a few times!). One of Joy's staff members (I think Sarah?) helped put the floral into our wedding cake as I was getting ready and couldn't do it myself. Everything was just perfect. If you are getting married, you have to visit the Refinery!!
    Ginger Married on 10/19/2019

Joey and Ginger Newcomer Wedding

We had an amazing experience with Joy at The Refinery. From the moment we walked into the venue and met Joy we knew this was where we wanted to celebrate our wedding day. The space was perfect both upstairs and down for us to host our ceremony and reception. All our guest had a wonderful time and raved how beautiful it was. Joy went above and beyond to communicate with us and she listened to my wants and needs. She is very professional and offered ideas and suggestions when I just had no clue or was overwhelmed. She assisted with the intimate details was wonderful with all my vendors and was a blessing coordinating all the day of festivities and helped with itinerary. Joy was like family that day and was such a blessing keeping me in check and making sure my day was all I wanted it to be. Well it was more than I could have dreamed of with all her help. Thank you Joy for bringing my wedding dreams come to fruition. My day was beautiful.
  • Carson
    Carson G. Married on 10/12/2019

Unforgettable Day

Our choice of The Refinery to host our event truly made the day memberable. From the planning that was aided by Joy to the warm feeling of the venue itself, everything went off without a hitch. Joy was sure to answer any, and all, questions no matter how trivial. The site offers an industrial feel that is also warm and welcoming at the same time. I would have no hesitation recommending The Refinery to anyone.
    Gina W. Married on 10/11/2019

Beautiful Venue and AMAZING Coordination from the Refinery Team

Joy has done an awesome job with this venue. It was such an amazing experience being able to have my November wedding here. Not only was it convenient because ceremony and reception location are the same, but the venue was beautifully decorated and the coordination that comes from Joy is seamless. Her and her team do a fantastic job of making you feel like you do not need to worry about everything the day of. The day went perfectly and I felt like I did not have to worry about a single thing that was going on behind the scenes. Joy has great suggestions for vendors to use in the area and anything else that you might have trouble with when planning your wedding. She is great and I would recommend her to anyone!
    Alliyah M. Married on 09/20/2019

Joy was amazing ! We couldn't have had any one better for this special experience!

I will reccomend this venue x10 ! We loved joy she was amazing, flexible, patient and SO sweet the price is wonderful for such a beautiful place! Don't wait, Book her now!
  • Chrissy
    Chrissy K. Married on 09/13/2019

The Most Perfect Day

Mid September, my husband and I were married in The Refinery. Oddly enough, we had walked into the venue the summer before, when there was hardly any fresh paint, or decor. But simply by seeing the space, meeting some new faces, we knew that’s exactly where we wanted to be married in the future. After he popped the (not-really-a-question) question we instantly thought of The Refinery and placed a deposit, not even seeing the completed space or doing a walk through, that’s how confident we were in the hands that made the place what it is.
    On our wedding day, I was blown away by the details and personal touches Joy and The Refinery team put into making our day so special. My family already wants to hire Joy to coordinate our family reunions. The space was absolutely stunning, the day was perfect. I can’t put into words how grateful we are to have found a place, accidentally, as special as this one is.
    If you’re thinking about booking The Refinery, you don’t need any more convincing. Just do it. You’ll be so glad you did.