The Maxwell House Reviews

The Maxwell House View more information

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2018 Winner

• Claire
    Claire S. Married on 07/25/2021

An absolute gem of a venue

Like many other couples, we had to reschedule our 2020 wedding plans. Thankfully we had already booked the Maxwell House – it turned out to be one of our best decisions!

For one thing, Rae and her team are true experts, and they're committed to making your experience seamless. There was not a single moment during the planning process that they were anything but prepared, helpful, and friendly. They also went above and beyond to accommodate our changing needs, moving our date twice and then adjusting for a smaller micro wedding with a brunch reception.

For another thing: It's a drop-dead gorgeous location on a quiet residential street. It has some incredible Old Hollywood vibes, and there are so many romantic spots both inside the house and outside on the patios. Rae and her team gave great recommendations for our timeline and floor plan, and on the wedding day, they guided all of our vendors through setup without a single hitch.

The cherry on top? This venue is run by a non-profit, which means that your money goes directly to supporting something good.

There's literally no downside to hiring the Maxwell House. Do yourself a favor and check them out!
  • Neilou
    Neilou H. Married on 09/05/2020

Incredible Venue!

My husband and I toured numerous wedding venues and landed on The Maxwell House for multiple reasons: (1) The historic charm - each room tells a story, (2) The mission - Maxwell House houses Western Justice Center which offers impactful community programming, (3) Affordability (enough said), and (4) The ability to choose your own vendors.

My husband and I had to postpone our wedding due to COVID-19 and Maxwell House worked with us to re-book for the following year. Their support and flexibility was hugely appreciated and helped ease the stress of re-planning a wedding. Additionally, Maxwell House is the perfect event space for people of diverse backgrounds. When my husband and I were touring venues, every single one had limitations on the food you could serve, the DJ you could hire, etc. As an Iranian-American, I was really disappointed that I wouldn't be able to hire vendors that reflected my culture and identity. Thank you Maxwell House for being the inclusive and understanding venue that you are!
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa Married on 11/09/2019

Beautiful, Intimate & Affordable Venue

Maxwell House was perfect for our budget mindful DIY wedding. It allowed us the flexibility we needed to pull off our dream wedding. Reid Lee, the director of operations and events is the most fabulous and supportive venue contact you could want. We met with plenty of not so nice venue managers before him, so Reid was a breath of fresh air, and we were so grateful to work with him.

Maxwell House only does one event per weekend so you have the option to do a 4 hour set-up and rehearsal the Friday before. They give you the freedom to bring in and choose whichever vendors you like, a big plus! We also had the option to do our own bar, our own planning, and we had a family member run sound instead of using a DJ or band. This saved us 1000’s.

Aside from the freedom, flexibility and affordability of Maxwell House, the venue is GORGEOUS! When we first walked in the foyer, the floor to ceiling west windows and dramatic staircase took my breath away. Its stand alone beauty will save you a lot of money, energy and time as the space simply doesn't need a lot added. It’s a vintage stunner.

Another amazing thing is that Maxwell House offers outdoor and indoor space on one property. They also offer free parking in a lot across the street!

If you want to have all your guests seated for dinner in one room, I would recommend having 75 people or fewer. We were told that Maxwell House could accommodate seating for 120 guests so we over invited. Fortunately only 93 came because I honestly don’t know where the others would have fit - it was tight, but very happy! Ooh, also, Maxwell House provides tables and chairs for dinner seating and ceremony seating, too. They set it up in time for your rehearsal!

There’s a noise curfew for amplified sound outside, and they have a built in dance floor inside, so it's definitely in your favor to do a DJ/band/sound indoors, if that is something you want.

If you have vendors and rentals that cannot be picked up the day/night of the ceremony, they will have the option to pick up their items as late as the Monday following the event. However, if you do your own decor, props, etc, you have to have it out by 11PM the night of your event. Yes, that means after you are married and eat and drink and dance and you’re exhausted, you and whoever is willing to help will have to round up every single thing you brought in and load it out by 11PM. This was the only downside of our wedding. I wish we could have afforded to pay for someone to load out for us.

Overall, we LOVED Maxwell House - I highly, highly recommend it! Even though we were in this mansion we could never afford to live in, it felt like being home, celebrating with our most favorite people. It was classic, elegant but somehow cozy, too. It will forever be one of my most favorite days with so many favorite memories largely due to Maxwell House and the array of possibilities it gave us.

Thank you Maxwell House and Reid - we have so much love for you!!
  • Sarah
    Sarah Married on 07/27/2019

Amazing Experience

Every aspect of the Maxwell House was amazing. Reid and Melissa made our wedding perfect! They were so helpful throughout the entire process. The Maxwell House is such an elegant venue that comes with so much for the cost. My favorite part is that the money goes to teaching tolerance education programs instead of the wedding industry. The venue is beautiful and unique. We loved everything about the Maxwell House and we hope others seriously consider this location for their perfect wedding.

The Maxwell House's reply:

Thank you so much Sarah! We were so happy to host your wedding and wish you all the best as newlyweds!
  • Daron
    Daron Married on 04/13/2019

Beautiful location at an amazing value!

The Maxwell House was the perfect location for our wedding. Incredibly affordable for all the that they supply, and in an amazingly beautiful area in Pasadena. The event coordinator, Reid, was always so quick to respond to any email I sent and helped us in any way possible. The space inside and outside the venue is so unique for a wedding, which gave our guests the ability to go from one room to another and mingle and socialize. All rooms are filled with beautiful antique furniture, and the venue provides all the folding tables and chairs you would need. The history of the building is also interesting, and the fact that the proceeds went to a non-profit made us feel good as well. All our guests were amazed by the space and surprised by how inexpensive it all was. I would recommend The Maxwell House for any event in a heartbeat!

The Maxwell House's reply:

Thank you so much Daron! You gentlemen were a dream to work with, and we were thrilled to be a part of your special day!
  • Juliet
    Juliet Married on 02/16/2019

Amazing Venue

Maxwell House was the third venue we toured. And we instantly fell in love with the venue. Actually, my husband was the one who loved it first. But I'm glad we chose Maxwell House to host our reception. We got married this year on February 16, 2019. I know my review is way over due but I wanted to save the best for last. :) The event coordinator, Reid, was very responsive and professional and easy to work with. He was amazing and always there to answer any questions or concerns we have. And trust me we had a lot of concerns. But in the end, it all worked out and we could have not picked a better venue to celebrate the happiest day of our lives.

It was raining all week until Friday night, the night before our wedding. Thankfully that week, we went to see Reid and he came to our rescue and helped ease our worries ... He helped us with developing a new seating plan which we called PLAN D. We opted to put everyone inside the venue instead of some outside. And ended up putting the buffet and the bar outside. But low and behold, on the day of our wedding, the sun was out and it was a beautiful day. We had a beautiful venue that made our special day perfect.

Furthermore, we couldn't believe how affordable it was. The price included everything you need for a wedding (tables, chairs, cake stand, speakers, etc) and its all for a set price. So we did not have to spend too much on renting tables and chairs. In addition, all the proceeds goes to a non-profit organization which I thought was extraordinary. Good to know the money is going to a good cause. And you can bring your own vendors and alcohol. FANTASTIC! This was a huge help and saved us a lot of money. Granted, they must be liscensed and such of course. But it was still affordable. Also, they only book one wedding a weekend which was unbelievable and a huge lifesaver because we had a 4 hour window on Friday to decorate and setup. We got so many compliments on how beautiful the venue was.

THANK YOU TO THE MAXWELL HOUSE AND THE STAFF, ESPECIALLY REID, FOR MAKING THE DAY SPECIAL!

OUR WEDDING WAS ABSOLUTELY A MEMORY OF A LIFETIME.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS VENUE!

Love,
    Juliet and Roderick
  • Kathryn
    Kate Married on 11/03/2018

Stunning inside and out!

The Maxwell House was the only venue I toured after months of online research. Instantly, I knew I wanted to get married there. I loved having the ability to hire my own vendors because we were doing an interfaith/multicultural ceremony and had some specific requirements for food, etc. I was really worried about finding an event space that could accommodate all our logistical and personal wants and needs.

The space is stunning! We had our ceremony outside and it had a garden/backyard feel to it, as well as an elegant Los Angeles-in-the-30’s look. Inside, you really don’t need any additional décor besides some floral arrangements since the art is so stunning. My only concern was that it was a little dim and we were getting married in November. I met with their preferred lighting vendor, GoGo Sprockets, and we created a false ceiling in the foyer with lanterns strung from the balcony, which was so gorgeous. Also, our photographer, Michael Farmer, specializes in low lighting photography and our pictures turned out great.

On a personal note, I was really happy to have my wedding here because of it’s mission. My best friends/bridesmaids are queer women. My family is Korean and Irish Catholic and my husband’s family is Pakistani and Muslim. Getting married in a beautiful, welcome space was a must for us.

Lastly, Reid is the best! My husband took over wedding planning and definitely needed help. Reid's professionalism and guidance saved us a ton of stress, especially since we were struggling towards the end. We really can't thank him enough!

• Asad
    Asad S. Married on 11/03/2018

Beautiful location for the best day of your life!

Wow, talk about a gorgeous wedding venue, with an amazingly helpful and kind staff to match. We love the Maxwell House and Reid is a champ at being responsive, thorough, and making sure your special day really ends up being the best day of your life!

My wife and I had been shopping around for wedding venues for about six months. We didn't really have a budget in mind so were open to anything. What we really loved about the Maxwell House is that it had the backyard wedding feel we wanted, but most of all you can choose whoever you want to be your wedding vendors (so long as they're properly licensed and such).

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT! For you grooms out there, or anyone who doesn't really know how wedding spaces work, it's rare to find places that let you choose your own vendor. What a novel concept!

Anyways we visited a few open houses and were set on the Maxwell House. When we requested a quote for pricing, I couldn't believe how affordable it was. Now, I understand that this is relative to your wedding budget, but I'll tell you if your trying to have a 80-100 person wedding in a beautiful location, this place is such a deal. LA's hidden wedding venue gem.

Anyways, we picked a date and put in our deposit. They have a very easy payment portal so you don't have to send a check or anything inconvenient like that. Also, the staff is amazing! Especially Reid! I think I'd call him 3-4 times a month leading up to our wedding, making sure everything worked, floorpan questions, etc... Anyways he never made me feel like I was being a burden. Also the day before when we were setting up, Reid went above and beyond to make some arrangements that made our wedding so much more beautiful!

Highly recommend the Maxwell House and everything about it. Also Pasadena is gorgeous!

The Maxwell House's reply:

Thank you SO much Asad! You were a great client and I'm so glad we were able to help you have an incredible wedding! Wishing you all the best!
  • Kysha
    Kysha Married on 10/27/2018

Amazing Venue

Maxwell House is located on Grand Ave in Pasadena. The area is historic and beautiful and also conveniently located near the Colorado Bridge. Reid and his team are amazing and they were soooo helpful with setting up the venue. Maxwell House allows you to hire an insured caterer and bartender so you’re not as restricted by catering requirements that other venue require. The venue is beautiful & spacious. It easily accommodated our 78 people + vendors. I highly recommend this venue.

The Maxwell House's reply:

OMG Kysha! You're wedding was gorgeous and we were so happy to be a small part of it! We wish you all the best in your lives together!
  • Laci
    Laci Married on 03/10/2018
    We had guests coming up to us throughout the evening of our wedding giving compliments to this venue. I’m so glad that I found the Maxwell House. It was a beautiful venue that supports a good cause! What more could you want? It made my heart smile knowing that my money was going to The Western Justice Center rather than just some big hotel chain.
    Reid was amazing and super quick to respond to every email I sent. We had the wedding ceremony in the foyer (I was able to have an amazing grand entrance because of this), dinner in the living room, bar in the library, buffet in the dining room, and dance floor in the back of the foyer. This provided a lot of space for people to dance, mingle, and have a great time. My wedding was a full week ago, but I’m still getting calls and texts letting me know that it was one of the best weddings they’ve ever been to.
    Thank you, Maxwell House, for such a memorable day and evening.

The Maxwell House's reply:

Laci it was such a pleasure to help you have your wedding here! You were a gorgeous bride and had such a beautiful wedding. We were honored to be small part of your special day! Thank you for showing us these gorgeous photos! Come visit any time!
    Sincerely,
    ~Reid
    Tatev Married on 12/16/2017
    Thank you for great service! Couldn't ask for easier communication
    Mark Married on 10/21/2017
    Let me start this by saying, our wedding would not have been as incredible as it was, were it not for the Maxwell House and their incredible staff. Lori, Lisa and Kevin did there very best to make sure every detail of our day was attended to. They worked with our budget, they were easy to communicate with through the preparation process and even stepped in to help us problem solve at the last minute - above and beyond what we could have imagined and hoped for. On the day of, their staff was quietly helpful, making sure any needs were met without disrupting guests. Everyone commented on what a special space the Maxwell House is and how personal our big day felt. We cannot recommend this venue enough. Thank you Maxwell House, Lori, Lisa and Kevin for making our day the most memorable of our lives. -Mark and Kyle
    Diana Event on: 10/19/2017
    My one tip for next time would be to have an after-hours phone number to call if there is an emergency. We had the fire alarm go off when some toast burned in the oven. It would have been helpful to have someone to contact immediately on how to turn off the alarm so that we all didn’t wait with ears plugged for the fire department to show. : ) It made for an eventful evening nonetheless!
    Erica Event on: 10/19/2017
    We hosted a Breast Cancer Awareness fundraiser at the Maxwell House in Pasadena, and it turned out wonderful! The staff at the Maxwell House was very professional, friendly, and accommodating to our needs. The space is absolutely gorgeous with many different options, which allowed us to separate the eves of the evening with ease. We look forward to working with the Maxwell House again next year!
    Jim Married on 10/13/2017
    As the Director of Development for a local organization, I've had events at many different venues. The Maxwell House was a superb location for our annual major donor dinner. Our 80 guests fit perfectly for dinner and a speaking program in the main room, and enjoyed a cocktail reception on the back patio with the lovely globe light strings overhead and dessert reception in the grand foyer following dinner. We used the large dining room table for a double-sided buffet service, which worked great for quick dinner service. The ambience of the Maxwell House is elegant yet not pretentious. The flexibility of having various spaces to use created an event with a easy flow from beginning to end, and if we had a larger turn out for the event, there would have been numerous ways to design the event and event flow. The staff were all gracious and accommodating, a pleasure to work with from beginning to end. I look forward to our next event there!
    Michelle Married on 05/27/2017
    Great venue with an excellent price and beautiful location!
    Corlis Married on 04/10/2017
    Nicole and Lisa are great, personable,friendly and stayed in touch. They responded to every phone call and email.
    Melina Married on 04/08/2017
    This place is amazing! It's absolutely stunning inside and out! I'm so excited I found this hidden gem in April. Check this place out - it will not disappoint!!!
    Julie Married on 03/25/2017
    The customer service was exceptional! The venue exquisite! Will definitely be letting my friends all know about The Maxwell House!
    Jesse Married on 02/10/2017
    I used this facility to do some filming a couple days ago. Their staff are fantastic and easy to work with. The spaces are grand and overwhelmingly beautiful. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to have a wedding here. I strongly recommend any happy couple to use this space for their special day.
    Kelly Married on 08/23/2014
    They were wonderful and affordable. My guests loved the venue and we had such a good time. They were great to work with.
  • User1775454 2+ years ago
    Beautiful place!! My guest love the place. Would do it all over it again! oxoxox
    Allyson Married on 06/14/2014
    We chose The Maxwell House as our reception venue (the ceremony was at a church). The Maxwell House was unique in that it only schedules one wedding per weekend which means you don't have to compete with other weddings for time. It's a beautiful house and was so accommodating. We were able to decorate on Friday which saved a lot of time the day-of. The vendors were also able to drop off rentals on Friday and pick up on Monday which was convenient for them and decreased the delivery charges. The Maxwell House itself is a very cozy and intimate venue. We were only planning for 80 guests which was the perfect size for the house, though I feel like it could have held 100 comfortably. Any more would feel a bit cramped. We had our dinner inside which holds around 100 people, so 80 felt nice and spread out. Our wedding was in the middle of June and had perfect weather, especially at night, so the patio got a lot of use as a lounge and drink area. We put our dance floor right next to the large doors leading out onto the patio so guests could easily go between the lounge areas and the dance floor. The different rooms make it possible for groups to split off and rest while talking to each other and sipping drinks. The venue can be dressed up or dressed down to fit whatever wedding theme you choose. We wanted ours to feel like a relaxed yet classy house party that was comfortable and unpretentious. The people who wanted to dance did, and those who wanted to relax had the areas required to do so. It was the perfect venue for us and a great alternative to the one room conventional wedding setup. I highly recommend this venue and encourage you to take a tour.
    Poy Married on 10/05/2013
    Camille at the Maxwell house is like an angel. The Venue and location is superb.
    All of the staff cannot be anymore accommodate. The place is so beautiful!
    Karen Married on 10/20/2012
    Everything was beautiful at the site, and it was $2600 for the entire day (11am-11pm), which was awesome. They also let you bring your own caterer and alcohol, which saves a TON of money. I was able to have my dream wedding for under $15,000 thanks to the affordability of this site, and I was able to play with a cool vintage theme because the house was built in the twenties. We got married outside on the patio and had the reception inside. They also let us host the rehearsal dinner there as part of the $2600. We looked at a LOT of affordable venues and it was the best we found. But be warned - you can't fit over 100 people!