34 Reviews for The Lyman Estate

Clean Up (1)
Event Planning (1)
Set Up (1)
34 The Lyman Estate Reviews

The Lyman mansion and grounds are breathtaking and make a stunning backdrop for any wedding. My husband and I fell in love with the Lyman Estate and had an off-season reception there. Though we got unlucky with unseasonably cold weather, we were able to have an indoor reception in November for 129 people after our off-site ceremony. Our guests complimented our venue all night, and the "flipping" of the spaces was no trouble at all. We also loved the opportunity to get dressed and take pre-ceremony photos at Lyman. As a warning, the Greenhouse is unfortunately closed on holidays, so we missed out on those pictures.

Nicole was a joy to work with, and such a professional. We felt confident that our reception would run smoothly because of her, and it did. The day-of, Nicole made sure that we stayed on schedule and worked with the caterers to successfully execute our party. Leading up to the wedding, Nicole checked in to make sure our plans were good to go, and that we were all on the same page. My husband and I planned our wedding on our own and were so grateful for Nicole's expertise.

We love Lyman and so recommend it!

Photos
Profile Picture Paula, 11/10/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This place is a dream. We got married July 7th and couldnt have been happier with choosing the Lyman Estate. I was blown away by Nicole's welcome on the day we went to see the venue - she clearly loves her job, and she is VERY good at it. We felt so taken care of from the start. She was very professional and answered all of our questions promptly. We had planned our ceremony and dinner outside, but it rained the day of the wedding up until 30 minutes before the ceremony. The staff at Lyman (Melissa, Maura, and Nicole) were excellent at coordinating the last minute decision to hold the ceremony outdoors. Melissa and Maura were so attentive and kind, and Maura even carried my train until I reached the grass so that it wouldn't get muddy. Our dinner was indoors which was an absolutely gorgeous setting. Many of our guests commented on how amazing the venue was. This place truly is a gem and we are so happy we were married there. Thank you Lyman!

Profile Picture Nell, 7/7/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I got married at the Lyman Estate earlier this month. We were very happy with our venue choice! We had originally planned to get married in our friend’s magical garden in Maine, but had to change plans when our guest list landed around 80 people. We searched lots of Boston-area venues for a similar romantic secret garden feel. We selected Lyman because of its spacious and well-maintained outside space – a greenhouse, giant trees with soft sweeping branches, secluded forested spots with sunlight streaming in from above, brick walls coated with ivy. It was beautiful! Our ceremony was outside and we rented a tent for the reception. We personally didn’t want to use the inside of the Estate, but it’s also gorgeous and includes a study, ballroom, and several other rooms lined with floral wallpaper and old details. We did use two charming pink and blue rooms upstairs to put on our dresses and suits. Lyman included all of our white garden chairs and tables within their very reasonable price.
The onsite coordinator Nicole was an absolutely crucial part of our wedding day. She was incredibly responsive to emails (usually within just 10 minutes!) and never made me feel silly for asking a million questions. From the big coordination tasks to the smallest details she helped our wedding day run smoothly. If there were any problems with other vendors or guests I never knew, which helped me to fully celebrate the day!

Profile Picture Sadye, 7/2/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Clean Up, Event Planning, Bridal Suite, Set Up, Parking, Covered Outdoor, Uncovered Outdoor

Gorgeous venue! The cost was the best BY FAR than anything I had seen (I went to five or six places and was in contact with several others). Their function coordinator Nicole is funny, laid-back and extremely helpful. I feel lucky to have found this place.

Profile Picture User4880311, Recently Married, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Bridal Suite, Liability Insurance, Parking, Wheelchair Access

As one of the first choices to make in a wedding planning process, it was stressful to wade into the choices and to pick a venue that would set the stage for the rest of the celebration. When we visited the Lyman Estate, it really started to click together and it ended up being such a perfect place to get married. Weddings are expensive, but in our area this was one of the less expensive choices, and it felt good to be supporting a nonprofit through our wedding. The estate has so many great amenities; multiple bathrooms, AC and heat for all weather conditions, great choices for the ceremony, and so many beautiful spaces. We particularly enjoy the grumpy portraits and model ship. It was private; guests loved it and we set up games on the lawn for those that wanted to linger outside. We were a little worried about splitting guests up between several rooms for dinner, but it worked out very well. Nicole was very responsive and answered all questions at all hours leading up to the event. Melissa the day of was professional, kind and there whenever we needed her. Overall, a dream venue.

Profile Picture Keelin, 6/10/17, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We got married at the Lyman Estate in October 2016 and it was a fantastic experience! Nicole was the coordinator and she was beyond helpful and professional. I worked with Nicole for about a year planning the wedding and at every step of the way, she was knowledgeable, supportive, responsive, and answered all my questions. I felt very relaxed on the wedding day knowing that Nicole was taking care of every little detail! Our wedding went off flawlessly. It ended up being a rainy day so the wedding was all inside but the venue is so beautiful that it worked out great. There are so many spots to take amazing photographs on the grounds and inside the house. You really can't find a more beautiful location. I would highly recommend Lyman Estate and Nicole for a memorable wedding day!

Profile Picture Audrey, 10/22/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We have been working with the Lyman Estate for the last several months for our October 2016 wedding, and we could not be happier! The house is absolutely beautiful, and Nicole has been amazing as our coordinator -- she has answered every question we've thrown her way, including recommendations on our caterer, DJ and a salon for my hair and makeup on the big day. I had no idea what our ideal venue would be until we saw the Lyman -- it's perfection!

Profile Picture Grace, 10/7/16, 1 Review
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking, Wheelchair Access

We knew from the moment we visited the Lyman Estate that it would be perfect for our wedding in September 2015. The house and grounds are beautiful, and it meant a lot to us to have such a special and unique venue: a historic house whose event fees help keep it and the other historic properties of Historic New England going. Its layout was perfect for the kind of event we wanted, an elegant but laid-back cocktail-party type affair with passed hors d'oeuvres and small plates, rather than a sit down dinner. Our guests loved being able to wander the grounds, socialize in the various rooms and sit on the furniture, dance in the ballroom, and get some fresh air out on the veranda. We had gorgeous weather, so we were able to take advantage of the beautiful grounds for our ceremony and photos. Their trusted vendor list of fantastic vendors who know the place inside and out, as well their included tables and chairs, made everything so incredibly easy. We can't recommend the Lyman Estate enough.

Profile Picture Leeann, 9/27/15, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I got married at the Lyman Estate this past Friday, and I have to say, I would choose to get married there again 100 times over. Not only is the backyard garden and peach wall an absolutely perfect ceremony location, but the inside of the building is stunning as well – beautiful cheery wallpaper, HUGE windows, gorgeous hardwood floors and décor. It made for an amazing venue through and through. Even if it had rained, our ceremony would have been gorgeous indoors. You can’t beat it. The staff was a pleasure to work with throughout the planning process.

Profile Picture Lydia, 6/5/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Absolutely dream wedding venue - I fell in love with it the moment I saw it, and our guests were blown away by it. What I found especially helpful is that Lyman works with particular vendors (i.e. caterers) who are extensively familiar with the venue and how to make the most of it. We worked with Boston Catering & Events, who made a fantastic team with the Lyman staff. I learned that Lyman is used for all kinds of events - from quite small, to quite large as our wedding was - and I can see how it's a very flexible space for that range. Another tip: check out one of their tours on the weekend to learn about the history of the estate. It made me even more excited for my wedding to happen there.

Profile Picture Betty Jeanne, 5/24/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Lyman Estate is the perfect venue for a wedding. Our wedding was on a cold, rainy day, and the Lyman Estate was breathtaking in spite of the less-than-ideal weather. The ballroom is a beautiful spot for a ceremony (we had 85 guests...might have been a bit crowded with more than that). The library is such an awesome room, and it makes for a very classy bar. Some of our older guests enjoyed chatting in the library away from the noisy dance floor, and the young and young-at-heart danced the night away in the ballroom. Demi and Mike are very professional and make everything easy.

Profile Picture Dianne, 9/13/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our reception at the Lyman Estate and it was just lovely! The grounds and house are gorgeous and you do not need to worry about going crazy with decorations. Mike and Demi are two of the nicest people who were so helpful! The vendors they work with know them really well which means they were knowledgeable about every aspect of our wedding. The site was amazing but they people who work there made it that much more special

Profile Picture Courtney, 9/5/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Lyman Estate was a beautiful selection for our wedding. We had a 136 quests, and choose the location because we wanted to love where we were getting married even if it rained!

One element that we enjoyed about the Lyman Estate is that guests ate dinner in separate rooms. After dinner, this allowed guests to move through the house and find spaces to sit and talk together - or move to the ballroom if they wanted to dance. This isn't the ideal situation for everyone - but it was perfect for us!

Our contacts at the historic house were prompt and professional in their responses, clear with the policies of the house, but also flexible with allowing us to bring decorations (we created paper cranes which we hung up in the house). During the wedding, someone was on hand to help answer questions and make sure that the evening flowed smoothly.

Profile Picture Sarah, 8/2/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Demi and Michael, cannot thank you enough.

The Lyman Estate was a dream come true. Not only is this estate spectacularly beautiful, the staff and coordinators did nothing but absolutely exceed everything we could've wanted.

Demi and Michael were professional, courteous, and so caring, that planning never really felt like "planning." They were gracious and helpful, even helped us choose some of our other vendors. From the moment the bride and bridesmaids arrived, til the late night hours packing up with the other vendors, Michael and Demi were there for us. I know it mustn't be an easy task, but our wedding simply wouldn't have been the same without them.

Thank you Demi and Michael, for truly making a difference on our day.

Profile Picture Dave, 9/14/13, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My wedding was amazing. From the moment I met Demi the wedding coordinator, I felt comfortable. She was pleasant and knowledgeable. She recommended the caterers and the food was amazing. The setting is perfect for a wedding and reception. The grounds are beautiful and we were lucky to have a nice day, but the inside is gorgeous too. Guests have the luxury of gathering indoors and out. The veranda is the perfect setting for pictures and for all your toasts. I am so happy that I chose the Lyman Estate for our wedding.

Profile Picture Laura, 6/21/13, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The place was beautiful. Thank you so much for a wonderful experience.

Profile Picture Avi, 5/31/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Beautiful, intimate venue for a wedding. We had 75 people and it was wonderful to have people experience all the different rooms throughout the house. The grounds are amazingly well kept. We saved a ton of money on "decorations" because the house itself is so beautiful to be in. The whole wedding felt like we were all hanging out in someone's vacation home, which was exactly what I wanted. The staff was very helpful and responsive as well. Plus, the estate has tables and chairs that you can use for free or rent for 1/3 of the price of an outside vendor.

Profile Picture banana, 5/30/10, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I had the pleasure of working with Nicole at Lyman Estate. She was great. We already knew what we were looking for but needed some guidance to find the vendors. Literally everything Nicole suggested was on the money. She was there day of for everything we needed.
Lyman estate is such a beautiful place and our guest absolutely loved being able to enjoy all the rooms of the estate. It provided the perfect mix of a fun party to mingle but with the option of being social with the other guest at a table.

Profile Picture Jasmine , 4/30/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Bridal Suite, Parking, Uncovered Outdoor

Lyman Estate was the first venue that we looked at, and the last. We booked it on the spot, as we fell in love with the setting and mansion.

We had planned on an outdoor ceremony, but felt comfort in the fact that Lyman Estate has both outdoor and indoor space for use "in case." We ended up having a rain storm on our day, but in the end, were so happy that this occurred because we were able to use the inside of the mansion for both the ceremony and reception. This mansion is absolutely gorgeous, and filled with flowers and dressed up guests, has a timeless and classic feel. Not to mention our photos came out gorgeous with the mansion as the background. Our guests would not stop talking about how beautiful Lyman Estate was during our night, and we felt so comfortable in the mansion.

The Bridal suite is beautiful and offers plenty of space. My husband and his family used the room with the blue sofa, right next door, which worked out perfectly.

Demi and Michael were a pleasure to work with and were very helpful and accommodating.

Profile Picture Erica, 5/25/13, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

A really beautiful and unique venue, and their staff is wonderful to work with!

Profile Picture Rebecca, 5/26/12, 9 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The venue was amazing. A big plus was that you don't need a lot of extras (flowers etc.) to make it beautiful! Everyone loved the different rooms and we had more of a station wedding without assigned seating so everyone got to visit the different rooms. Demi was helpful and kind to work with. I did have to follow up a few times before booking, but once we did, it was fine. Also, my husband and I are excited to use our Historic New England membership!

Profile Picture Kelly, 4/26/14, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great location for a wedding. Very classic and intimate and the staff was very accommodating.

Profile Picture Marian, 5/8/10, 5 Reviews
4.7

We spent several months searching for the right venue that would give the feeling of throwing a fancy backyard party that would make the day feel special but still keep folks comfortable. Lyman was the last venue we looked at and as soon as we walked the grounds, we knew. It is a special place because of it’s convenient location that still manages to feel tucked away from the city and the property’s stunning grounds that surround the estate. When it is in full bloom in the spring/summer – amazing. The greenhouse on the property is another great feature and we did some of our portraits in there with our photographer which came out beautifully. Nicole served us well as our coordinator, working well with our caterer and making sure all of the details of making the day come together were covered. Unfortunately, the day of the wedding Nicole had to attend to some personal business that was understandably out of her control. She did her best to be there for us on the most important parts of the day and made sure everything went smoothly. The second half of the night, after first dances, we had to be without her and didn't feel quite as well taken care of with the support staff but were able to keep things moving with the help of our caterer and photographer. Overall we were really happy with our experience and our guests really enjoyed the property. We would definitely recommend Lyman Estate for your wedding, especially if you want someplace where you can have the ceremony and reception in the same place.

Profile Picture Amanda, 9/17/16, 8 Reviews
Services Used: Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor
4.7

This is a beautiful historic mansion and a great place to have a wedding. You can seat your guests in several dining rooms inside, or rent a tent to place on the grounds. The coordinator on-site is very professional and organized. Given the price and the proximity to Boston, this was both a gorgeous place to have a wedding and a good value compared to similar locations.

Profile Picture Anna, 9/14/14, 4 Reviews