The Loft at Jacks Barn Reviews

48 | Oxford, NJ

48 Reviews for The Loft at Jacks Barn

Roxana · Married on 10/07/2017

I recently had my wedding at Jacks Barn this past September. The place is absolutely gorgeous! My guest are still talking about how beautiful it was. My wedding was nothing short then AMAZING! The staff was very helpful and accommodating since day 1! I worked primarily with Darren for almost the entire planning and he was so easy to deal with. I cannot thank him enough for helping me make my DREAM wedding become a reality. I totally recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a DIY style rustic venue. Also, use their preferred photographer Nick Speer!! He is the BEST and will capture all the special moments in his creative way.

Sent on 10/11/2017

Danielle · Married on 09/17/2017

I wish I could give more stars to this incredible venue. From our first meeting with Darren, my husband and I knew this was the perfect venue for our wedding day. Darren, Demi, and his whole team could not have been more helpful and accommodating. From their amazing vendor recommendations to their exceptionally quick response times on any and all questions, they helped make planning our wedding a smooth and painless process. We visited the barn on multiple occasions prior to the big day, and every time we did we felt at home. The amount of work Darren and his team put into making the space the absolute best it can be is nothing short of incredible. They are constantly thinking of their client's needs and adding/fixing things to better accommodate them. I can not say enough great things about this venue. We couldn't have imagined a more perfect day, and our guests continue to gush about how amazing everything was!! Thank you for everything you have done, Darren- you were a pleasure to work with and the Barn is a hidden gem!!

Sent on 09/19/2017

Pamela · Married on 09/08/2017

My husband and I had our wedding at Jack's recently. Darren, his daughter Demi, and the rest of the staff here are top notch! We had family come to NJ, mostly from South America, so we rented the Twenty Belvidere as well, which Darren also owns, for a two night stay and our rehearsal dinner.

As for Jack's, it's one of the most unique, beautiful places to have a wedding in the State of New Jersey. We had great weather, so we were able to marry on the expansive green lawn under the wooden arch right behind the barn. The town of Oxford and the venue make for an ideal, ethereal wedding experience. Our guests could not stop talking about how cool the setting and venue was! So different from most NJ wedding experiences.

If you're looking to do a rustic, bohemian-style wedding, this is the place to do it. We did a lot of things ourselves and we wanted creative control over the ambiance and decorations. The great thing about Jack's is that it's so simple and well decorated that you don't need to do much to make it look good.

Darren and his staff, as well the preferred vendors he works with are great and make the whole experience stress-free and worthwhile for the guests.

Have your wedding at Jack's - you will not be disappointed!

Sent on 09/14/2017

Maureen · Married on 09/02/2017

So, I used Jack's Barn for a Surprise birthday Party for my husband...and they were fabulous to work with! I couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Sent on 09/06/2017

Claudia · Married on 08/27/2017

Our Wedding Reception was at the Loft and we absolutely loved it!! And so did our guests who were very skeptical in the beginning when they found out our Reception was gonna take place at a Barn! Everybody had a great time and people kept asking me "Where did you find this place? This is amazing!"
    We fell in love with The Loft at Jack's Barn the minute we first stepped foot in there. It was love at first sight <3 :)
    And I'm sooo glad we took the 1 hour trip to check the Barn we had heard of because it was a very beautiful Reception just like we had imagined. It was very cozy and the lights oh so beautiful, make it a very romantic environment.

Sent on 09/14/2017

Holly · Married on 07/29/2017

I absolutely fell in love with this venue when we first went there and it's 100 times more amazing on the day of when it's fully decorated. It looked more amazing than I could have ever imagined and Darren helped to make the day as less stressful as possible. He was very accomodating and responsive to all of my questions and concerns and was always available to help when needed. It's also extremely helpful that he has a lot of items you can rent in which they set up for you day of. Darren is continually working on adding things and making the venue better and better day by day (even though it's already amazing as is). Thank you Darren for helping me to create a day I will never forget!

Sent on 08/01/2017

Jessica · Married on 04/01/2017

The moment my (now husband) and I stepped foot into Jack's Barn for a tour, we knew this was where we wanted to get married. The barn itself is truly magical and Darren was so awesome to work with. Our wedding was held on Saturday, April 1, 2017 and the day could not have gone any better. The Loft at Jack's Barn will forever hold a special place in our hearts. Thank you Darren, for allowing us to rent out your barn for our special day!

Sent on 04/05/2017

Kim · Married on 11/18/2016

My husband and I got married at The Loft at Jack's Barn on 11/18/16. I wish there were enough words to describe how amazing our experience was. First off....the space is literally the most beautiful that you will ever have seen. It was the first and last venue we looked at. Darren is a dream to work with, incredibly responsive and able to answer any questions that come up. The value for the venue is quite reasonable. The bridal suite is so incredible and certainly adds something to the big day. Our guests told us they have never seen a venue like this one, and it was so beautiful. Darren has also made a ton of updates, including adding central heat and a built in bar. Darren and Chris are certainly able to work with each couple to make it the day they were dreaming of. We are so happy we chose this venue for our wedding, and would highly recommend to other couples looking for an amazing venue with people they can trust.

Sent on 12/29/2016

Mary · Married on 06/03/2016

This place is gorgeous!!! If you want a lovely rustic feel, The Loft at Jack's Barn is for you. The owner Darren is so kind and accommodating, he makes the process so easy. It's also a steal compared to what other venues are charging in the NY/NJ area. BOOK IT!

Sent on 08/16/2016

Lauren · Married on 04/17/2016

We can't even begin to say enough about Jack's Barn. From the start of planning to the end of our big day Darren and his crew were awesome. We had open communication, we received impeccable service, it felt very personable, not commercial, and the day went off without a hitch! Everything we envisioned came to life. The shop downstairs had endless rental possibilities so that we weren't stuck with a whole bunch of things afterwards, and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Thank you again Darren and Chris!

Sent on 04/22/2016

Colleen · Married on 11/08/2015

Jack's barn was absolutely beautiful. most of our guests had never been to a barn wedding and they absolutely loved it. Darren and Chris are very nice and helpful, keeping communication open and answering all our questions. It was everything we hoped our wedding would be.

Sent on 11/25/2015

Jessica · Married on 09/28/2014

The Loft at Jack's Barn was everything we dreamed for the venue for our wedding. The look and the feeling of the Loft is eclectic and rustic there was so much there you didn't need any additional decorations. Darren and Chris were so great to work with... They help make sure everything worked smoothly.. We even rented out Twenty Belvedere for family to stay overnight and it was the perfect ending to our magical night. I would recommend this venue to anyone who wants and you would be lucky to have your wedding here.. We would do it all over again.!!

Sent on 10/20/2014

Shelby F. · Married on 11/17/2019

Friendly and accommodating

I did not actually get married at Jacks barn, but some outlying circumstances and the interactions I had with Darren definitely warrant a review! My fiancé and I are both in the Coast Guard and actually stationed on the west coast (him at sea with no reliable communication) but Darren was kind enough to hold a date for us while we worked through the government shut down and until we had heard back from my fiancé. His willingness to work with us and try to accommodate our needs was a huge relief in this trying time for us; he helped make planning a wedding fun and full of options rather than super stressful. Darren has vetted two caterers that I know would be amazing as long as you budgeted properly for them. I hope he eventually adds one or two more budget friendly caterers that meet his high standards. Lastly I found Darren to be easy to talk to, professional, and willing to candidly answer all of my questions. Definitely call Jacks Barn if you want enthusiastic and caring people taking care of you both before and on your wedding day!! :)

Sent on 01/30/2019
  • Emily

John I. · Married on 07/20/2019

Best venue ever. Take me back!

We could not have picked a better venue for our July wedding! The day my now-husband and I did our first walk-through, we both said, "we can see our friends and family having a ton of fun at a party here." The space allowed us to use some great vendors that were very familiar with the space (caterer, photographer, florist), but we weren't limited and could also bring some in that were new to Jack's (band, liquor, officiant). Darren & Demi were involved from the get-go and we can't imagine working with anyone else on what ended up being one of the most special days of our lives. And make sure you check out the Bridal Suite! It was the perfect place to spend the day getting ready with my best friends, and an even more perfect spot to catch a few private moments with my husband between the ceremony and the reception.

Sent on 10/02/2019

Liz · Married on 07/09/2016

The owners of the Loft are wonderful. They are easy to work with, help achieve your vision, are very helpful and flexible day of, and are available and at your service to ensure that you're day goes smoothly. The quality and dedication to the venue really shows and they were a really great, helpful team. I highly recommend this venue if you are looking for absolutely romantic rustic charm. The guest at my wedding were in awe and had a wonderful time.

Sent on 03/15/2017

Alexandra · Married on 10/02/2015

We LOVED Jack's Barn. We had been to see a few different "rustic" venues, but as soon as we saw the Loft, we knew this was the space for us. Chris and Darren were wonderful to work with from the beginning. Darren answered every email, text, phone call within a day. The bridal and grooms suites were incredible from the decor to the wood burning stoves, this place truly is magical. It is very DIY, so be prepared for that and the barn is not temperature controlled, however, you can bring in heaters (or fans) and it worked out perfectly! Our guests loved everything about it. The day of our wedding, it was a downpour the entire day without a break, Chris brought us to 20 Belvidere (an incredible mansion they renovated) to have our first look and bridal portraits done, it was amazing. We used two of their suggested vendors (Cake Fiction and The Cottage Gardener - they were both fantastic)! We highly recommend Jack's Barn and had the best time.

Sent on 10/27/2015

Kristina · Married on 10/15/2016

Jack's Barn was a wonderful place for our fall wedding. The space is perfect for couples looking for a venue with a rustic, intimate feel. It is full of beautiful furnishings, fun antiques, and great places to take pictures. The owner Darren was easy to work with throughout the planning process. All of our guests could not stop talking about how much they loved being in the barn. Darren provides a list of 3 caterers that you must use, and we loved ours (David's Country Inn). Other than that, you may use whichever vendors you'd like (florist, photographer, etc.). Another huge plus is you get to use the beautiful bridal suite to get ready in - my wedding party loved it! We highly recommend this place.

Sent on 10/27/2016

Emanuelle · Married on 08/02/2020

3.0

Venue visit

Darren is a delight! We ended up booking elsewhere, but The Loft is an awesome place! I love that they have an optional kosher caterer!

Sent on 10/02/2019

Nicole · Married on 07/16/2016

We were in awe of The Loft at Jack's Barn. My husband and I knew we wanted to say "I Do" here from the moment we walked through the door. Darren and Chris have put so much love and dedication into this venue and it shows; from the rentable furniture options to the renovated bar- everything is perfect! The team invited us to an open house after booking to see their many updates. This was extremely helpful as we planned all of our decorations and seating arrangements. We also met with the team throughout the planning process. Darren emailed us promptly when another planning milestone came (9 months, 6 months, 30 days), to plan our meeting.

My husband and I also rented their property 20 Belvidere! This mansion is absolutely stunning. We were able to have our entire family of 14 stay with us comfortably. Q Classic catered our rehearsal dinner and Darren and Chris were easily available to us during our stay. The mansion made the perfect backdrop for our first look and formal photos. We got married on July 16, 2016- one of the hottest days of the year! The staff at Jack's worked hard to make all of our guests comfortable. Darren promised upon booking that any issues that may come up on the day would be handled without stress on the bride and groom and he did exactly that! Their list of preferred vendors helped us chose our caterer- David's Country Inn. The two teams worked beautifully together to give us a PERFECT wedding day. Thank you, Darren and Chris!!!

Sent on 10/09/2016

Meg · Married on 05/09/2015

What a magical venue! It was the first venue my husband and I looked at and we cancelled all but one other venue appointment, even that one paled in comparison to Jack's Barn. We were going for a rustic, vintage, romantic vibe - almost a bit hipster like - and Jack's Barn was the perfect setting for our vision.
    Such a uniquely perfect place for an intimate wedding - we had 100 guests and not many more people could have fit in there comfortably.
    The owners Darren and Chris have a lot of pride in their venue and in the year since we have booked the place so many aspects have been renovated - bathrooms, parking lot, decorations etc. They are continually working to improve and update the amenities of the venue.
    I would say that this is definitely not the choice for a bride who wants to one stop shop. It's not like your typical catering hall where you can get your food, alcohol, flowers, cake etc all in one go. You have to identify the vendors that you want to bring in. Luckily Darren is building a very comprehensive preferred/suggested vendors list for future brides to refer to.
    The barn was the perfect canvas for all of the DIY I wanted to do and Darren collaborated with me on several ideas. It also was the perfect backdrop for all of our photography needs. The owners also own a mansion in town which we rented to do our first look at - gorgeous!
    It was a bit pricier than I originally was hoping for with my initial budget, but such a unique venue always comes with some constraints - the caterers have to set up a mobile kitchen since there is not one on-site. But the cost was worth it for the memories that were made.
    My family and friends cannot stop commenting on how unique and special our wedding day was. Many people have commented that they do not think they will ever go to a wedding quite like this one - and that's in large part to the character that Jack's Barn added to our day.
    Thanks for all your help Darren and Chris! We love Jack's Barn!

Sent on 06/02/2015
  • Cory

Cory H. · Married on 05/05/2019

4.2
      3.0

Rustic Beauty!

Demi and Darren were great to work with, during our wedding planning. They were fun, helpful and easy to work with during our planning.

Their venue is indeed that timeless and rustic atmosphere that one would look for within the barn venue arena.

Nearly everything we needed was included, and at the ready for our special day and they were always simply just a text away.

It was indeed a great place for what should be one of someone's most cherished of moments.

Sent on 09/23/2019

We chose Jack's Barn for the sheer beauty and uniqueness of the venue. Jack's is an old feed mill that is literally a restored barn. We loved that it had two floors (separated by a few steps) so that there was a more traditional reception and dance floor feel.

The barn is so beautiful at night and with a lot of DIY and some creative vision it became exactly what I wanted it to be.

In renting Jack's you have to understand that you are literally just renting the space. You or your team have to literally do everything down to sweeping the floors before the event. There is also a lot of red tape about what you can and cannot touch, use, move, etc. and I thought for what we paid some of that was punitive.

Sent on 11/18/2015

Jessica L. · Married on 11/01/2019

1.0
      1.0

Do Not Book

Building and grounds are beautiful. The owner is a nightmare to try to work with. He also is willing to break contract with you and steal from you.

Leading up to our wedding day at Jack’s Barn, the GM was wonderful to work with. Demi was accommodating, knowledgeable, and responded quickly. I wish that was the end of my experience and this review. But sadly, it is not.

The day of our wedding (11/19) there were issues that my husband and I overlooked, because nothing can be as perfectly envisioned for such an important event. However, in hindsight, not having the layout ready or decor available even after agreed upon previously is frustrating. Additionally, walking their dogs on the property to relieve themselves in sight of guests was unnecessary. And finally, rushing us out the doors even though the contract stipulates we have an hour to clean up and vacate the premises was awful. We left items behind unintentionally due to this and also could not say goodbye properly to guests.

However, all of that could have been forgiven if the owner, Darren, had not broken contract and unfairly withheld a quarter of our damage deposit even though, and Darren agrees, we did not break our end of the contract or damage the premises. Darren told us he was holding our money for himself because of presumed disrespect.

Apparently, signs that were on printed computer paper stating “no smoking” were removed, according to Darren. He stated that he found the sign, not on the wall of the groomsmen suite, but rather on the table inside the suite the next day. He said we intentionally took the sign down from the wall, which is disrespectful and so he withheld our money. We even asked him if it’s at all plausible that a sign fell down and someone placed it on the table instead of leaving it on the ground, but he said that’s impossible. He then added that the sign was removed in the bridal suite, which it was not. I was in there all day and no one moved any signage or decor.

My husband and I apologized for any perceived disrespect. We assured him that no damage was done, that we did not see anyone move the signs and we did not move them either, and that there was no cigar or cigarette smoking inside. Darren agreed with us, over the phone and in writing, that we did not break the contract and that no one smoked indoors or caused damage. He stated that he is the owner of this business and can run it as he sees fit. And so, he felt disrespected because a sign was moved, and so he decided to not give us our full damage deposit back.

If you don’t care about losing items, being rushed out of the venue even though you were working under the idea that you had clean up and packing time, and not receiving your full refund back of the deposit than book this venue.

Sent on 01/02/2020

The Loft at Jacks Barn's reply:

As the owners of The Loft at Jack’s Barn, we take great pride in what we do. We also take all of our reviews to heart, both good and bad. Without positive comments and constructive criticism, we could not continue to accentuate our positives and do our best to eliminate the negatives. Our ratings to date, after more than six years in business, have all been in the range of 4-5 stars; indicating that we do in fact take the time to help our clients have the best possible experience that we can provide. Hence, we were taken aback by the one-star rating by you Jessica, and your now husband, Joshua. First, we want to thank you for the positive reflections on the Barn and the grounds as we take great pride in our venue. Also, pointing out how Demi was accommodating was also appreciated as she does her best as House Manager to address the needs of our clients. Second, we’d like to address the main crux of your review; the small issues that may have arisen and the withholding of a portion of your damage deposit. Small issues that arose, as you stated, you were willing to overlook as it truly is impossible to achieve perfection as much as we all may try. Recalling your wedding day, you had a Wedding planner and his Business Partner on the premises, along with the Maître de from the Caterer, Demi our House Manager and also both owners…all on site. Therefore, we are having a hard time understanding why you didn’t reach out to any of the aforementioned personnel to assist you on the day of the wedding when “items and decor that were agreed upon along with the layout for seating was not provided.” Another comment you made was “Darren’s dogs were walked on the grounds and property to relieve themselves in sight and view of guests.” Fortunately for us, we own several acres next to, beside and behind the barn. If the dogs were on a part of the property in sight of your guests, we clearly apologize and will take that into consideration for future events. Regarding clean up. We can certainly appreciate that you were prepared to begin clean up after the wedding concluded at 10pm. It is unfortunate that you perceived our actions as us “immediately rushing you out the doors and that you could not say goodbye to guests properly or gather all of your belongings”. We have had many weddings at the Loft and know how to manage the time. If we do not guide the caterer and the client to adhere to a sensible time line (the one hour provided), the client would incur an overtime fee to cover our staff which no one wants to incur. Ultimately, what we believe led to this review being written was the withholding of the $100 (one quarter of the damage deposit) for the vaping that occurred in the suites. Our contract clearly states “the entire damage deposit will be returned within 30 business days of the event unless” … and the first point states ‘guests smoke indoors’. Nowhere in your one-star review do you state the clear reason why this portion of the deposit was not returned, instead, you belabored the point about the paper signs indicating ‘no vaping or smoking’ being removed as the point for the funds being withheld. In fact, your email to Demi on December 8, 2019 admitted that “There was vaping in the suite. However, vaping is not smoking and your contract that I signed does not amend for your own definition of it. Taking $100 is an arbitrary number. Zero cleanup is required.” On vaping, vaping is smoking; no need for clarification. If a person attempted to vape in a restaurant, a bar, a club, or anywhere indoors for that matter, they would be asked to stop or perhaps be removed from the premises. Regardless, the Loft is a privately owned entity and we are able to set our own rules for the safety of our clients, their guests, and our building and grounds and have these rules established in the form of a contract indicating such, to protect everyone. And yes, we thank you for alerting us as we modify the contract as to have no ambiguity, so that others in the future wouldn’t feel the need to challenge the meaning of ‘no smoking’. Please understand, transparency and communication are very important to us. We respect that you took the time to bring to our attention, albeit after the fact, the shortcomings that you perceived from our service and our personnel by writing reviews and posting them to Yelp, Google Reviews, Wedding Wire, The Knot, and perhaps others we have not yet read to date. We felt it necessary to respond bringing all the facts to the table so that potential future clients, reviewing any of these sites, have both sides of the story when reading these reviews and can put them into the proper perspective, when considering The Loft at Jack’s Barn for their special event. Christopher, Darren and Demi The Loft at Jack’s Barn