The Local Restaurant and Catering Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2014 Winner

• Cathy
    Cathy T. Getting married on 11/10/2021

Loved The Local

Our guests at my daughter’s wedding loved the food from the Local. They were responsive to questions ahead of our event and helped plan our schedule and layouts for the venue spaces. The staff at the event helped make our guests feel welcome and were attentive to their needs. Bottom line great food with great service. Highly recommend.
    Julia O. Married on 08/20/2021

I love the Local's Food! Helen is the best coordinator!

My guests loved their dinner. I had many people tell me that the food was excellent and that it went above and beyond normal wedding food. I would recommend this catering company!
    Even more so, Helen is the best coordinator in the Charlottesville area. She really was everywhere that night, and handled everything that came her way. Hire Helen as your planner and you can't go wrong!
    Lauren P. Married on 08/07/2021

Perfect Reception Venue!

We highly recommend The Local as a wedding reception location. The Local is our favorite restaurant in Charlottesville so it was an easy decision to hold our reception here! The entire team was so accommodating and easy to work with! Michelle worked with us throughout the entire planning process and helped us with all the details and last minute changes. John and the rest of the team at The Local made sure every detail was accounted for during the reception and made it so easy on us! On top of a great team to work with, the food was amazing and we have gotten so many compliments from guests. Thanks to the entire team our reception was perfect and we would highly recommend anyone to work with The Local!
  • Eliza
    Eliza C. Married on 07/09/2021

Stop what you're doing and hire The Local now!

I can't say enough good things about The Local. My husband and I would go there for special occasions when were students at UVA so we already loved their food (and our meals on the wedding day were even better than what we had at our tasting which was already amazing to begin with). But what really made our experience working with them so wonderful was their team. We hired The Local for partial planning and worked with three different individuals from their team to book, plan our April 2021 wedding, and then ultimately execute our postponed July 2021 celebration. Everyone we worked with was kind, professional, communicative, and flexible. They made hard things easier (whether it was deciding to postpone or picking out our rentals), were always reliable, and made the wedding planning process more enjoyable. I have to give a special shoutout to Kelly who executed our wedding day to perfection. I felt so at ease the entire wedding and didn't have to worry about a single thing thanks to her. I knew we were in good hands with Kelly and that's true of anyone at The Local. Picking a caterer and coordinator is one of the most important vendor decisions you'll make and my husband and I can't recommend The Local highly enough.
  • Eric
    Eric B. Married on 07/01/2021

Excellent Service

The Local provided excellent service to our guest at our wedding. They catered to our every need, even before we realized what we needed! The servers were very friendly and accommodating to several of our guests’ dietary restrictions. The food was so flavorful, and the portions were filling.
    The communication between us and the staff at The Local was on-point and attentive. They also did a wonderful job of setting each and every table with the appropriate number of silverwares, plates, and glasses. The Local helped our wedding day go off without a hitch, while getting hitched!
    Amy G. Married on 06/04/2021

Amazing Team

The Local Restaurant / Catering was so amazing to work with! Wedding planning, in general, is stressful but trying to plan everything during the pandemic was even harder. The whole staff at The Local were incredible from start to finish and really made the process so easy for me. They were there anytime I had questions and got back to me quickly with answers. The process itself was so seamless. The food was also amazing. We have many friends and family coming up to us to say how much they enjoyed it. I highly recommend The Local Restaurant and Catering!!
  • Heddy
    Heddy H. Married on 05/29/2021

More Than Just a Caterer

The Local catered my wedding the past weekend (05/29/2021) and they went beyond and above our expectations. For being a destination wedding (we live another in another state) they were extremely accommodating to fit our schedule when we happened to be in town for tastings, walk throughs or finalizing details. Our guests raved about the food, the caesar salad and Virginia chicken main dish in particular. The bartenders were friendly and extremely organized. Helen is amazing, not only was she great about communicating but she actually bustled my dress during the reception and made it so I could have a great time out on the dance floor. We're looking forward to coming back and enjoying dinner at the restaurant in the near future.
  • Katie
    Katie Married on 04/09/2021

Perfect Wedding Dinner

We would highly recommend to anyone looking for a place to hold a wedding reception to choose The Local. Not only was the food amazing, the staff was phenomenal. Michelle was great to deal with, she was knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt to answer any and all of our questions. There were only a couple of dates my husband and I could meet with Michelle together and she made it work. That meant so much to us that we could both be present. Michelle worked with us when we had last minute changes to our bar selection and decided to provide our guests with a late night food option. The three men that worked our party went above and beyond to provide for us. When we realized, after dinner was served, that one of our guests was a vegan, they did not hesitate to rush to the kitchen and within ten minutes our guest had an entire vegan meal. He was so grateful and could not stop talking about how delicious it was. We were able to bring in our own wedding cake and our plan was to have one of our guests do the serving. When one of the staff members noticed what was happening he did not hesitate to take over so our guest could enjoy the party. After dinner they moved tables out of the area so we could have a dance floor. They were so efficient I do not recall that even happening. Thanks to Michelle, the three spectacular men, and The Local our wedding reception was perfect. We could not have found a more professional, efficient, and fun group of people anywhere else.
  • Diana
    Diana L. Married on 03/27/2021

Excellent!

We chose the Local Catering for our catering and day of coordinator services for our wedding in March 2021. The food was a hit and we received compliments regarding the food and also about our day of coordinator Helen all night. The day wouldn't have gone as smooth as it did without Helen there every step of the way. She is extremely organized, attentive, and flexible. I highly recommend Helen as a day of wedding coordinator and the Local Catering overall for their professionalism and awesome food! Thank you all so much for being a big part of our big day!
    Kristin B. Married on 02/10/2021

We had the time of our lives! Everyone told me it was a WONDERFUL celebration!

The Local Catering was delicious and fairly priced. Everything went smoothly because our wedding coordinator, Emily Holter from The Local, knew exactly what she was doing! She was easy to communicate with, new how to answer my zillions of questions and did so with patience and professionalism. I would do the wedding ALL OVER AGAIN!
  • Melinda
    Melinda K. Married on 12/19/2020

A Dream Wedding!

The Local did a fabulous job creating our dream wedding! Emily was on top of all of the details leading up to our wedding day, and each member of The Local staff executed everything beautifully! Our guests could not stop talking about how beautiful the day turned out to be! We would definitely recommend The Local to anyone planning a wedding in the VA area!
  • Kayla
    Kayla C. Married on 12/09/2020

Incredible Food and Service

We used The Local as the catering company for our September wedding. We would highly recommend The Local because of their food and quality of service. Specifically, Ashley Trone from The Local went above and beyond to help my husband and I plan and execute our wedding. Ashley was responsive to our (many) emails and phone calls. She helped us make adjustments to our original plan to help ensure that all guests felt safe at our wedding. She attended our walkthrough and created a floor plan that matched our vision. In addition, she also handled all of our rentals through MS Events. Ashely was so knowledgable and able to help give her own opinion when my husband and I were stuck.
    The food was also delicious! Our guests could not stop commenting about how delicious the bacon wrapped meatloaf was! As a vegan bride, The Local was able to provide me with a DELICIOUS vegan meal as well as vegan/gluten free friendly items as apps. The staff who worked our event, from the servers to the bartenders, were extremely professional. If you're on the fence about a caterer, this is it!
    Alison E. Married on 11/07/2020

Amazing caterer and THE BEST coordinator

I can’t say enough good things about our coordinator Helen. She was AMAZING. So professional and knowledgeable and her ability to fix mini disasters on the fly is like no other. It is so worth it to get the coordination services! The food came out perfectly. Our guests were raving about it. The catering staff was awesome and super attentive throughout the day. They took such good care of us. Definitely a great experience.
    Taelor M. Married on 09/12/2020

Best choice we made

The local was absolutely perfect. Helen and the team at The Local catered and coordinated everything beautifully. We had no worries and everyone loved the food - guests kept mentioning how delicious everything was. The entire day was seamless and we couldn't have asked for anything more. I highly recommend.
  • Michael
    Michael A. Married on 09/06/2020

Amazing caterers and wedding-day coordinator!

The local did an amazing job! Through all the uncertainty and changed due to Covid-19, their team was on top of it and still made our wedding day incredibly special while keeping everyone safe. Helen, our wedding coordinator, did an amazing job keeping all the vendors on their timelines, organizing everything, and she even did the decorations! I would absolutely and 100% recommend them to anyone for their wedding or other big events. I would not have had the amazing wedding day I did without them.
  • Allison
    Allison F. Married on 07/11/2020

The perfect caterer.

The Local's team was so accommodating with our summer 2020 wedding! They were great to work with, did a beautiful job helping set-up, and the food was amazing.
    Candace Married on 07/11/2020

Cannot recommend them enough!

The folks at The Local are INCREDIBLE! Let may say that again in case you are still undecided, the staff, food, drinks, atmosphere, and experience at The Local are INCREDIBLE!

When my husband and I needed to adapt our plans in light of COVID-19, Michelle and her team were incredibly kind, responsive, and flexible. We changed our plans one month out to host our rehearsal dinner at The Local to having a socially distant 50 person dinner after our wedding ceremony. They made what was a stressful time much easier for us. Our guests are STILL raving about the food and drinks as well as how well the venue navigated safety in light of the virus. Many have said that it was the best food they have ever had at a wedding and we could not agree more.
  • Elisa
    Elisa Married on 05/01/2020

Superb Service!

Our experience with The Local was honestly flawless. We were so impressed from the beginning, especially in the midst of a global pandemic (COVID-19). They were flexible, caring, and did everything to make this day perfect.
  • Emily
    Emily B. Married on 11/08/2019

The Local & Emily Holter- Amazing team!!

WOW! I cannot express how wonderful The Local was with catering our wedding, along with their wedding planner, Emily Holter! The Local was so accommodating with setting up two food tastings for us during the planning process and helping to answer all of our questions in the beginning. They have a huge food selection so you can really curate your own menu and make it unique to you. The Local staff during our wedding were the nicest and most attentive group- our guests kept complimenting how wonderful they were! Our guests raved about the food and specialty drinks (Moscow Mules & Old Fashioneds). Our planner from The Local was Emily Holter- I cannot say enough good things about her!! During the entire planning process Emily was organized, professional, positive, listened to my ideas, and helped me see the big picture. Anytime we had a meeting or phone call I could not wait to talk things through with her! She made the process efficient and fun at the same time. On our wedding day Emily kept the day so organized and everything was perfect :) Emily has such a strong vision of what needs to happen and makes everything work! The Local- fantastic food, drinks, & team!!
    Jordan Married on 11/02/2019

Perfect caterer

We would highly recommend The Local to any couple looking for wedding catering. We primarily worked with Ashley, who was wonderful. Every step of the process was easy, the food was amazing, and the servers at our wedding were very friendly and responsive. Since our wedding, we have received many compliments from guests on how delicious the food was, with many of them pointing out that you usually don't notice the food at weddings, but that the food from the Local was exceptional! Our guests also raved about the signature cocktails :)
  • Emily
    Emily V. Married on 10/26/2019

Highly Recommend for Food & Planning Help!

As soon as we did our tasting we knew we made the best decision for catering by choosing The Local! Not only did we love the food but our guests did as well! The staff was also extremely professional and friendly - one of the waiters during cocktail hour even made sure to come up to my husband and I to make sure we got the appetizers we wanted! We also used The Local for wedding coordination and worked with Ashley who was incredibly helpful throughout the planning process. Not having to worry about the vendor coordination and details on my wedding day was truly a gift and we are so thankful for Ashley's support and keeping everything moving smoothly! We are so excited to go back to The Local for dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary for years to come!
  • Shannon
    Shannon M. Married on 10/04/2019

I'm biased- but best wedding food I've ever had!

Ok, so I know I'm biased because this was MY wedding- but this is the best wedding food I've ever had. And the whole experience with the Local team was perfect from start to finish. At the tasting, we were able to bring my husband's parents with us at no charge. We had a private dining experience and were able to leave with the leftovers from our meal, huge hunks of brisket and pork. The food was absolutely to die for and they worked with us to create a cohesive menu. I was worried that it may not be as good when prepared in large quantities but it was somehow better at the wedding itself. Guests were returning for seconds and talking about how good the food was. The Local also takes pride in their presentation. Instead of the tired old chaffing dishes used by most companies, the food was displayed in cast iron pots, giving it a more styled feel. The Local made a plate for my husband and I to make sure we got a chance to eat. We also purchased the bar package from the Local which was extremely reasonably priced compared to other vendors and offered top shelf selections. I was also surprised to see how involved the Local was with all aspects of the day. They essentially served as a second planner, ensuring that our day ran smoothly and everything was perfectly coordinated with other vendors. They were nice enough to set up and replenish cookies and pizza I got from outside vendors. This was a stand-up team that my day delicious! I will certainly be making it a tradition to drive to Charlottesville to get some of their incredible food and thank them again for helping me have the most perfect wedding day!
    Anna Z. Married on 10/04/2019

Extremely helpful, friendly, and went above and beyond

When I first began planning our wedding I contacted two catering companies in the Charlottesville area and from the get go, just by exchanging emails and a few phone calls, I knew I had made the right decision working with the Local Catering company. They were very prompt in their responses when I had a million little questions. In the beginning we worked closely with Emily who was great and helped us create a menu we loved and that fit within our budget. As the wedding approached we worked closely with Helen who was amazing and went above and beyond. For example; I was trying to keep things easy and simple, mainly for my own sanity, and had decided on plain white linens and plain dishes. Helen reached out and asked if I wanted different color table linens that would be the same price, she offered to send me pictures, and even recommended some colors because she had worked numerous events at our venue. The final results were gorgeous! The local offers planning services as well so they did call and ask about the timeline, vendors, etc. and even provided me with a google doc form to edit and add information into along the way so we all were on the same page. Unfortunately, my wedding planner was unprepared and thank goodness I had the Local catering team to assist. During the walk through Helen made the whole process feel effortless and really put us at ease.
    Unfortunately she had a family event the weekend of our wedding and was unable to attend, but I am so thankful that the local was there to help due to the lack of support and direction provided by my wedding planner. During the wedding they even made sure we had everything we needed in regards to food and drinks. They helped to make the day amazing and everyone raved about the food, especially the scalloped potatoes :) Thank you all soo much!! I would highly recommend working the Local Catering Company!!
    Jenna F. Married on 08/17/2019

Stop Looking. Hire The Local.

We got married at King Family Vineyards this past August and were given a pretty extensive list of approved caterers to work with. We took the time to contact each and every one of them, and ultimately decided to go with The Local. When we originally contact them, Emily responded at lightning speed and provided several different quotations at our request. Once we had sort of finalized the direction in which we wanted to go, we were assigned to Ashley as our final POC. My family is Greek and loud, and Ashley was so patient with us throughout the entire process. We deemed my dad as "Dadzilla" during our year of planning, and Ashley was always able to stay a beat ahead of him (and his obsession with cocktail shrimp!). Our tasting was great, and our guests continue to rave about our wedding dinner. We ended up going with three stations and it really was such an easy process for everyone. Our rentals were also through MS Events and it was so wonderful that Ashley handled all of that, too. The Local works hand in hand with them and the setup with rentals is entirely taken care of. We highly recommend The Local, regardless of where you're getting married/having an event. The food is superb, and we still visit the restaurant when we're in the Charlottesville area!
  • Patrick
    Patrick H. Married on 07/13/2019

Can't say enough about the incredible job the Local did!

Our guests could not stop telling us how amazing the food was all night (especially the cheesy scalloped potatoes). The Local could not have been better to work with throughout the entire planning process. We decided to put an emphasis on dinner at our wedding and provide a multi-course menu with wine pairings from the venue. We were concerned that the abnormal-extended service with a mix of plated and family style along with wine pairings for each course would stress the caterers, but the Local could not have handled the dinner service better! The staff was seriously incredible and we attribute a huge amount of the day to them.

The Local also coordinated with MS Events for all rentals (Tables, flatware, glassware, decorations, etc.) which really helped bring everything together and ensure that they had everything they needed for themselves and our guests.

The Local came highly recommended to us and we are gladly passing the recommendation on to anybody getting married or hosting an event in the Cville area!