The Local Restaurant and Catering Reviews

The Local Restaurant and Catering 2
The Local Restaurant and Catering 3

Robert · Married on 06/08/2019

Amazing food

We used The Local for both our wedding and our rehearsal dinner, and were not disappointed! The food was amazing, and we got many compliments from our guests! Since we were using them for both events, they worked with us to ensure we had different choices for each. They were incredibly easy to work with and very organized. A special shout-out is definitely in order for Helen, our day-of-coordinator who was also our point person at The Local. She made sure everything went perfectly at the wedding! My parents and my in-laws could not say enough about how effortless she made everything seem, and about how easy she made everything. I would highly recommend The Local to anyone!

Sent on 07/07/2019
  • Stacy

Stacy Counterman · Married on 05/05/2019

LOVE The Local!

My husband and I cannot recommend The Local enough. From our very first e-mail conversation, their team was very responsive and a blast to work with. We chose our wedding planner through The Local as well, and working with Ashley Trone was amazing. She made every process a breeze, and I was so happy to have her with us on our wedding day. We had so many compliments on the food and service. We could not be happier. :)

Sent on 06/03/2019
  • alissa_carolynne

Alissa · Married on 05/04/2019

Best Wedding Food EVER

I had so many of my guests tell me that they had the best wedding food they'd ever been to.
    We did a charcuterie tray with local cheeses, honey, fruit & nuts ... and if that's all we had served our guests and myself would've been completely satisfied. It was the best damn goat cheese & strawberries I've ever eaten and my only wish was that I had gotten some of that to take home.
    We also did a raw bar -- scallops to die for... A pork loin and short ribs. I actually had the vegetarian option brought to me because it was just that damn good.
    You won't be disappointed.

Sent on 05/28/2019

Deneen C · Married on 10/28/2018

Wonderful Experience

My husband and I could not be happier with the The Local! We had the rehearsal dinner at the restaurant and catering for our daughters wedding at King Family Vineyard. The food was awesome! They serve hot, generous portions. We got many compliments on the food. Helen was our day of coordinator and did a fantastic job. We gave her a list of our vendors and the day ran like butter! Helen was awesome!!
    Most of the final plans came the last two months leading up to the wedding (The venue walk thru, final touches to menu, last minute additions). Helen worked her magic with her knowledge of the industry. My daughter and I are thankful we made the decision to choose The Local. We highly recommend Helen and The Local team!

Sent on 12/23/2018

Tamara Robinson · Married on 10/20/2018

Very satisfied!

Our experience was fantastic! Great staff, fabulous food, set up and clean up were seamless. You will have no worries on your wedding day, these folks are professionals!

Sent on 11/07/2018

Hillary · Married on 08/26/2018

My husband and I talked to 3-4 different caterers but once we met and did our tasting with the local we knew they were who we wanted to go with. We knew we wanted to do an upscale taco bar for our wedding and they really exceeded our expectations. Everyone loved the food and working with them was simply a breeze. The best part about the Local is they have day of coordinators on staff. We worked with Helen Osinga and I can not say enough good things about her. She worked so hard and always with a smile on her face. She was so organized and on top of all the logistics of the day that I was truly about to relax and enjoy our wedding day. Go with the Local, work with Helen and your wedding day will be perfect!

Sent on 09/09/2018

Katy · Married on 07/14/2018

Local Farm to Table Amazing Taste for Rustic Chic Barn Summer Wedding

Helen and the rest of the Local staff are amazing to work with, and the farm to table food is absolutely delicious! We had them cater our wedding back in July, including pre-ceremony drinks, cocktail hour passed appetizers, stationed appetizers (great selection to choose from), then plated salad, followed by Buffett entree (highly recommend the salmon and chicken with fingerling potatoes, and green beans). They were very accommodating for kids and family/friends (including myself) with food allergies or diet restrictions; they brought out fresh fruit during the salads, and macaroni and cheese with chicken tenders during the meal for the kids, and vegan dish for a couple guests. They ended up getting my husband and I drinks that we wanted, and making our plates then bringing it to our sweetheart table so we could continue to mingle with guests that kept coming up to us during the reception. We will definitely be stopping by their restaurant the next time we are back in C'ville! Couldn't of asked for a better catering company! The only thing I would suggest in the future, is when it's time to cut the cake, remember to ask them to cut small slices of the cake, as the slices were quite big and we ended up with hardly any pieces left that people wanted to take home with them.

Sent on 12/16/2018

Maya · Married on 04/22/2018

The Local was very helpful in providing us with a primarily vegetarian spread and adjusting their recipes to the garlic and spice loving tastes of our guests. Everything on our menu was delicious and we couldn't have been happier. The food at the wedding was just as delicious as the food at the tasting. We especially appreciated that we were able to provide our own alcohol. The Local was a good value compared to many area caterers as far as their flexibility, variety of food they are willing to provide and service relative to the cost. Many of the caterers we contacted just didn't seem to get that we wanted truly delicious food minus most of the meat to accommodate the majority vegetarian guest list but The Local really came through for us. Overall the communication was super easy and we felt like we were in organized, reliable hands with The Local.

Sent on 05/06/2018

Karen · Married on 12/31/2017

We recently had our Welcome Party/rehearsal dinner for 80 persons at The Local. We secured the entire top floor and used our winter/holiday decorations to compliment their homey/rustic feel. Nothing short of OUTSTANDING!. Food was way beyond the strong recommendations I had already heard. Staff - from planning to day of event execution were top notch. It was obvious they worked as a team and supported each other to ensure the highest level of service. They supported my "extras" including a slide show with music. So many compliments from our guests. I cant stop "bragging" about it! Thank you to the entire team at the Local!

Sent on 01/02/2018

Katie · Married on 11/04/2017

I highly recommend The Local for any wedding or event!! Throughout the planning process, Helen Osinga was incredible to work with. She was our day-of coordinator, but she went above and beyond as we worked through all the details with our other vendors. Her email responses were very thorough and she helped us make informed decisions we ended up loving at our wedding! The day of our wedding was where she really shined – she pulled everything together perfectly and was always around in case we needed her.
    The food and drinks were phenomenal. All of the plated meals were highly complimented, but specifically our tenderloins were HUGE and cooked perfectly. My bride and I weren’t able to eat much during the reception, and as an extra special touch Helen boxed up our meals to take back for later. We were initially planning to bring our own alcohol, but The Local allows flexibility and customization at a price that was on par with buying ourselves.
    The entire staff was friendly, accommodating and professional throughout the night. Sean and Molly in particular always made sure guests had what they needed, and were extra attentive to the bride and groom.
    We LOVE The Local for so many reasons – helping to make our wedding PERFECT is just the most recent!

Sent on 12/24/2017

Devon · Married on 10/14/2017

We used The Local Restaurant and Carering for our vineyard wedding and I could not say enought about how wonderful they were! The food was amazing! We received so many comments from guest about how good everything was. We had Helen be our day of coordinator as well and she was great to work with! She helped through the whole process with questions, other vendor recommendations and timing for everything. At the wedding I didn't have to worry about a thing, she had everything under control. She even packed us leftovers to eat later which was a nice added touch. Everything was perfect. Highly reccommend!

Sent on 10/17/2017

Kelsey · Married on 09/23/2017

Our venue required us to hire a day of coordinator, and while we already knew of the Local’s reputation for excellent food, we were thrilled to learn they also offered a wedding coordinating services in addition to catering team. The Local’s catering at our wedding was better than we could have imagined. Our friends and family raved about the taste and quality of the food. And if that wasn’t enough, Courtney was an incredible wedding coordinator, going above and beyond not just on our wedding day, but throughout our entire wedding planning process. Whenever we felt clueless, Courtney was there to answer our questions and make suggestions, including recommending great vendors. On our wedding day she made sure everyone was exactly where they needed to be, and kept us on time and everything running smoothly. She also set up all of the décor and with her eye for creativity and detail, it looked even better than we had envisioned. She even had the kitchen prepare a plate just for the groom’s dietary restrictions. The Local provided memorable food and working with Courtney gave us the peace of mind that our wedding would go smoothly (and it did).

Sent on 03/25/2018

Tracy · Married on 09/15/2017

Can't say enough good things about Courtney and The Local. We tried out a few catering companies for my daughter's wedding and The Local came out on top, not only was the food delicious, but having Courtney on our team was the icing on the cake! She helped us so much. Everyone at the wedding raved about the food. The Mac N Cheese is to die for! The open bar package was more than reasonable and they were super flexible with my daughter adding a signature drink 2 days before the wedding and one of my guests asking for some wine for their smore bar at the end of the night. Couldn't have been happier with our decision to use the The Local!

Sent on 09/21/2017

Kim · Married on 09/03/2017

We had our son and fiancée's rehearsal dinner here last weekend and were thoroughly impressed with the food and all the staff! I am still getting compliments on the dinner from friends and family that were in attendance!! Michelle was an amazing help in planning!! Kudo's to all there and we will be back!!

Kim

Sent on 09/09/2017

Tricia · Married on 05/27/2017

We had a fantastic pre-wedding welcome dinner at The Local for all our out-of-town wedding guests. Michelle was extremely responsive to all emails, and offered guidance along the way with menu and beverage choices, even offering ideas to help us stay within our budget. The day of the event, the staff was professional, friendly, and worked hard all night to make it a great evening for our friends and family. And they were accommodating and flexible, when our guest list expanded (by quite a bit) at the last minute. Bottom line - everyone had a fun and enjoyable evening with good food and drinks in great surroundings. Honestly, the evening couldn't have gone any better!

Sent on 06/06/2017
  • Mike

Mike · Married on 05/25/2017

We used our venue's preferred vendor list to select The Local. We were able to quickly schedule a tasting and the food was amazing! We set the menu immediately and worked with Courtney to make adjustments. She was very accommodating and open to our requests, even helping us locate/select local craft beers for our bar.
    The catering staff was fabulous on our big day. When the weather didn't cooperate, they set up both indoor and outdoor ceremony spaces and were able to quickly "flip" our space for the reception. The space looked amazing and completely put together. Everyone raved about the food! The bar staff was fantastic and our guests quickly asked if we could tip them for their services. We were provided with tons of "to-go" food (a blessing when you don't really get to eat!) and the staff completely tore down our space, boxing everything and putting it in our vehicles for us.

Sent on 06/06/2017

Brittany · Married on 04/08/2017

We used The Local for our rehearsal dinner, as well as our wedding catering, in April 2017. The food and service was top-notch! We received tons of compliments from our guests on both meals (and bar service).
    At the wedding (Courtney was our catering director and no detail was overlooked), several guests said they never typically like wedding food, but ours was incredible! There wasn't anything left on their plates! We chose the short ribs, crab cakes and stuffed squash options. We also had passed hors d'oeuvres and a cheese board at our cocktail hour. The bar package was great too. They have a craft beer selection in addition to the staples, which gave us good options (it was nice to have some local beers in the mix). Our cocktail hour ran long because our photos took a while, but the kitchen did not seem affected (at least that we saw, which is what counts!). Everything was still served hot and delicious.
    For our rehearsal dinner, we worked with Michelle (she's awesome and super responsive!) to create our own menu. We liked bits and pieces of the different menus we were provided, and we were able to combine them into a custom menu that worked best for our party. They even created a chocolate dessert for us that wasn't on any of the menus, per our request.
    The room we were in had a projector screen too, so we were able to show a slideshow with music. We brought our own computer and connector, but the audio/visual was great on the restaurant's end. Another huge plus: We had the option of turning our rehearsal dinner into a welcome party for our out-of-town guests, which we decided to do. It was perfect, and allowed our family and friends to mingle before the big day!
    I would highly recommend The Local for a rehearsal dinner and wedding catering! Your guests will be wined and dined and totally impressed.

Sent on 05/27/2017

Christine · Married on 04/01/2017

It is impossible to overstate just how incredible the Local was for our wedding. From the beginning, they were very responsive to emails – even preparing an entire customized menu and rental sheet without ever pressuring us to sign a contract. We were looking to do an upscale barbeque menu to fit the formality of our venue but also our budget, and they were spot on. The food was out of this world and by far one of the best things about our night! The truffled mac and cheese was the most delicious thing I have ever tasted and we still are getting comments about how much people enjoyed their meals. The Local’s coordinator, Helen, even made sure that we not only ate at our reception (something very few bride and grooms actually get to do), but sent us home with to-go boxes at the end of the night which we devoured after our reception. Which brings me to Helen – hiring her as our Day of Coordinator was by far the BEST decision we made during the entire planning process. She was instrumental in molding our vision and was always a great sounding board for our ideas. What she put together at the end was breathtaking and what made it even more special was that she truly felt like a friend. She put my Type A planner nature at ease – nothing was ever a problem for her, there was always a solution. She was with us every step of the way and we could not have done it without her. The set-up and catering staff were also top notch – extremely professional, friendly, and fun! One of our waitresses even got out on the dance floor to teach us some moves and the bartenders did a great job remembering individual guests’ drinks of choice. The Local truly made our wedding extraordinary – stop searching for caterers, book the Local!

Sent on 08/19/2017

Pat · Married on 12/10/2016

We used The Local as our rehearsal dinner caterer at Bold Rock Cidery and they were fantastic! Helen and her staff are top notch- from the first contact to the tasting session and the dinner itself, everything was delightful. We did a buffet and the variety was amazing! We got nothing but rave reviews from our guests. If you want your event to go smoothly with no worries and have a wonderful dining experience, give the Local a try!

Sent on 01/06/2017

Suzanne · Married on 10/08/2016

My daughter's wedding reception was held at The Local Restaurant this past weekend, and we could not have been more pleased with the service, the food and the fun atmosphere! Michelle Moshier was always responsive and helpful with all the planning aspects, and my daughter and her new husband had the wedding reception they hoped for--I've never seen them smile more or have more fun! We stayed within our budget, and the food and beverage selections could not have been any better! I would highly recommend The Local Restaurant as a special event venue!

Sent on 07/06/2017

Tonya · Married on 10/07/2016

The Local was our caterer for the day of the wedding and Courtney Hildebrand was also our day-of wedding coordinator. After talking to several caterers in the area, we were SO glad that we went with The Local. We loved the food and heard so many compliments about the service from the waitstaff and bartenders. The staff truly made sure that everyone, including the bridal party, were taken care of. I don't know what I would have done without Courtney! Our wedding ended up having to be inside and she did such a great job of making sure everything went smoothly. After spending months of talking about decorations, flowers, setup, I thought I had a picture of what everything would look like - but the setup truly blew me away. It was even more beautiful than I could have imagined. I can't say enough good things about this group of people, the service, and how helpful Courtney was throughout the entire planning process.

Sent on 10/21/2016

Sally · Married on 09/10/2016

We used The Local for both the catering for our wedding as well as for our rehearsal dinner. Courtney was a pleasure to work with during the lead up to the wedding and helped us coordinate the menu, the rentals, and the overall logistics of the venue setup. Chris was extremely helpful on the day of the wedding and worked with our day of coordinator to ensure everything stayed on track through the end of the night. The wait staff and bartenders were very professional and accommodating to our guests. All of the food was absolutely delicious and we received many compliments from our guests about not only the main courses but also the hors d'oeuvres during our cocktail hour (especially the mini grilled cheeses with tomato bisque which the groomsmen consumed by the tray!).

We also used The Local for our rehearsal dinner in their wine room. They helped us create a family style menu and provided great value for the money. Overall we would highly recommend using The Local for any upcoming weddings or nights out in Charlottesville!

Sent on 10/22/2016

Kate · Married on 09/03/2016

The food and service by the Local were above and beyond!! Their staff went out of their way to seek us out and ensure that we got to try all of the passed appetizers which were delicious! They were incredibly professional and managed to keep the desserts safe from our mischievous dog before the guests could try them. We highly recommend them!!

Sent on 09/05/2016

Alicia · Married on 09/03/2016

The Local catered our rehearsal dinner as well as our wedding. Rehearsal dinner was wonderful! We loved being able to offer various choices of entrees and appetizers to our guests, and staff was very attentive to our every need. I especially loved the dessert brownie ice cream sundae bar they were able to set up. The wedding dinner was also good, everything came out quickly, was hott, and had plenty of flavor. Highly recommend them!

Sent on 09/06/2016