The Homestead Reviews

The Homestead 4
The Homestead 5

Marissa Blumenthal · Married on 10/19/2019

Amazing Venue to have your Wedding

Phenomenal wedding venue!!! They had a day of coordinator built in without any extra fee, which made a huge difference between me being really stressed and taking my stress away. It was so nice to have our rooms all in the same place, a bar there, restaurants, etc for the weekend. They answered any and all questions I had and their staff made us feel so welcome and special on our day. They made things easy for us by having things mostly included! We recommend to have your wedding here hands down! We will be coming back to the Homestead hopefully every year, it’s that beautiful and we were treated that well!

Sent on 11/04/2019
  • Justin

Justin Hart · Married on 10/11/2019

Perfect Wedding

The homestead was great working with us as we planned long distance through phone and email. Our coordinator, Sandy, was amazing and had everything set the way we wanted. She worked with us through every step from initial planning all the way through the reception. Even with poor weather on the day of our wedding she quickly adapted and suggested an alternate ceremony site that was beautiful.

Sent on 10/20/2019
  • Jason

Jason Anderson · Married on 05/31/2019

Best wedding experience we could ask for

We had our wedding ceremony here and it couldn't have been better. Our coordinator from the group sales team was selfless and extremely helpful, she did whatever it took to make our stay, ceremony, and reception the best it could be! To give some examples, we exchanged over 20 emails leading up to our ceremony to coordinate minor details, they were extremely flexible to the elements allowing us to choose a ceremony site a couple days before the big day, and they helped us save in decoration costs by personally moving some of our ceremony site decorations to the reception site. We had a small, intimate ceremony so that lended itself well to being flexible, but I feel the staff here went above and beyond to give us a phenomenal experience. My wife and I highly recommend this venue for a beautiful, northern Michigan ceremony!

Sent on 06/04/2019

Savannah · Married on 06/09/2018

All I can say about The Homestead is WOW. My wedding day was absolutely perfect, thanks to Lynize, Connar and the rest of the crew. Their attention to all the details big and small was impeccable. From the time we met them in July to book our wedding, to the clean up, they went above and beyond to make this the event of my lifetime. I had no stress or worries, and was fully able to enjoy my time with my new husband and our guests. Lynzie was there for an entire year, helping us with everything and always answering questions. Connar took charge of our vendors, and helped us the entire week of our wedding. She even got on her knees to help us wrap up extra flowers the morning after. Even the wait staff took care of us and our guests so fantastically. Especially Hillary. She anticipated everything we could ever need or want, and had it delivered to our table before we even asked. Our guests have been raving about their time at the resort. Most wished they could have stayed longer. We can't thank everyone at The Homestead enough. If you are looking for a perfect wedding in Northern Michigan, look no further than The Homestead Resort.

Sent on 06/19/2016

Heather · Married on 12/31/2017

Wedding weekend was a winter wonderland. Homestead had white powdery snow that made our winter New Year's Eve wedding perfect. Staff was superb and my wedding coordinator Lynzie Gotshall made everything stressless for me. It was amazing

The Homestead 6
    The Homestead 7
    The Homestead 8
    Sent on 01/15/2018

Nicole · Married on 05/27/2017

Our wedding at The Homestead was truly incredible. My husband and I feel so lucky to have found this venue. Our coordinator, Lynzie, was so helpful, organized, and responsive throughout the entire planning process. I felt very comfortable relaxing on our wedding day because I knew things were under control. The staff at The Homestead were so prepared with every detail of our day that things moved flawlessly. The food and drink service was fantastic – so quick and friendly. It’s like they anticipated everything we would need and would have it to us before we could ask for it. Our guests loved The Homestead, too. They raved about both the resort and our wedding. So many people thanked us for inviting them because it provided them with a weekend getaway at such a beautiful place. I highly recommend this venue!!!

Sent on 06/15/2017

Kristen · Married on 09/10/2016

The team at The Homestead, led by our wedding coordinator Barb Ellis, was beyond spectacular. From the moment we booked the venue, to the morning after our wedding when we had to take everything home, they were attentive, helpful, sweet, kind, quick, and thoughtful. We couldn't have asked for a better venue, inclusive of all the bells and whistles! Even on the worst possible weather day, when our outdoor wedding rained out, they did everything in their power to make sure the day was beyond our wildest expectations. We wish we could do it all over again!

The staff was incredible - a group of people genuinely excited to be there and make sure that our entire day was perfect. We are beyond lucky to have chosen The Homestead for our wedding! Our guests had an incredible vacation weekend away, and all fell in love with Northern Michigan (as we knew they would)! Thanks again to the Homestead for our dream wedding!

Sent on 11/09/2016

Anne · Married on 09/07/2016

My original thank you letter to the Homestead team and Wedding Sales Associate, Lynzie Gotshall was three pages long. Because this review box is not long enough to express all of the gratitude I have for this team and the incredible weekend they helped to create for us, I will have to summarize the highlights. Bottom line, Lynzie was a lifesaver. My husband and I decided not to use a wedding coordinator due to budget restrictions and I know now that without Lynzie our dream wedding never would have happened. We chose The Homestead as our ceremony (top of bay mountain) and reception (mountain flowers lodge) sites in early October 2015 and Lynzie helped guide us through every decision there was to make regarding planning not only our wedding day but entire wedding weekend. She even included potential vendors!! Lynzie is an invaluable resource on the Homestead team and made our 10-month journey of planning and facilitating our dream weekend wedding an absolute blast and stress-free.
    While Lynzie was such an important part of our positive experience with the Homestead, it is also important to acknowledge our gratitude for the front desk staff and wait staff present during our cocktail hour, reception and farewell brunch. During an obviously busy time at the front desk, the staff welcomed my chaotic family in arranging welcome bags for all of our guests and any adjustment in accommodations were easily and hospitably addressed. The wait staff at Mountain Flowers Lodge made us feel as though we were attending a black-tie affair. From greeting my groom and I right off of the chairlift with champagne on a silver platter to always making sure our glasses were full, many of our guests stated they felt they had their own personal servers that evening.
    Overall an incredible job well done to each person that had a hand in making our wedding weekend possible. One week later and everyone is still talking about the event of the summer. THANK YOU!!!!

Sent on 09/29/2016

Carrie · Married on 10/05/2014

I have been photographing weddings here for over 5 years now. Every wedding that I have shot has been very well organized and beautifully decorated. The Homestead has several amazing spots for photos, no matter what time of year! The staff really make sure all guest are fully enjoying their experience and are very accommodating. I highly recommend the Homestead to make your wedding day an experience you will never forget.

Sent on 05/21/2015

Erin · Married on 09/27/2014

Our wedding was a fabulous stress free event and I can contribute all the of the wedding's success to Elizabeth Curlew and all the staff at The Homestead. We are from the metro Detroit area but even with the 5 hour distance it was a breeze planning a wedding at The Homestead. Any time I had a question or a concern I would email Elizabeth Curlew (our wedding coordinator) and she would respond asap (I'm sure I emailed her a bajillion times).

First, you can not overlook how gorgeous the property is. Everything is so well maintained, you could not ask for a better venue. We had our ceremony and reception at the Camp Firefly venue, it was gorgeous! I love how secluded it felt, it was like we had the whole property to ourselves.

Anything you can dream of The Homestead staff will make possible. We had a fall wedding and it had also been a dream of mine to have mini donuts and cider at our fall wedding, Elizabeth made it happen. I wanted to set up my ceremony completely different that they normally do, Elizabeth made that happen. And it wasn't just Elizabeth (who I can not stop singing her praises) it was everyone else. My guests loved how our bartender remembered their exact drink order and how friendly everyone was. You can tell they take pride in what they do. You are not just another wedding to them. If you are looking to get married in Northern Michigan, no need to look any further than The Homestead! My husband and I can not wait to go back up and visit!

Sent on 10/24/2014

Jennifer · Married on 09/06/2014

My husband Brian & I were married at The Homestead in September 2014. From Day 1 the service we experienced was superior. Our Event Coordinator, Elizabeth walked us through each step of the wedding planning process and kept in constant communication with us the entire time. The resort was gorgeous, well-maintained and everyone from housekeeping to the management staff were friendly and helpful. Each and every person that assisted us on our Wedding Day at The Homestead provided us with a lifetime of memories. We not only built memories, but friendships with the staff there. We cannot wait for many more trips and a limetime of memories!

Sent on 10/13/2014

What a beautiful place to make many lasting memories! My daughter's destination wedding at the Homestead was wonderful. Many of our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to! Planning the wedding from such a great distance (we live on the west coast) was much easier with the vendor lists provided by the Homestead. We worked for a year with Elizabeth answering our questions, and helping with planning. Lynzie was our event coordinator and set up and assisted with each of our events: rehearsal dinner, welcome reception, wedding, and goodbye brunch. She made each of our venues look beautiful. As the mother of the bride I was able to relax and enjoy a wonderful wedding weekend and spend time with our guest.

Sent on 10/24/2014

Jason · Married on 08/09/2014

Elizabeth and Emily were absolutely awesome, they took care of everything. The Homestead is such a beautiful place....we couldn't have asked for a better venue. Everything is on premise and our guests were able to enjoy a beautiful day at the beach.

The bar manager at Beppi's was great during out rehersal party. Actually after the wedding my sister left her shoes outside and her son, which works at Nona's restaurant on premise, brought the shoes to our room.

Everything was perfect and we had such a great time. I would recommend this venue to anyone. #Awesomeness

Sent on 09/17/2014

The Homestead is hands down the best venue in Michigan. Everything from the venue to food to staff to lodging was absolutely perfect. Having everyone so close to each other was a huge plus. No one had to drive to get anywhere and we were all able to hang out all day. Our coordinators kept everything running smoothly all day without any hiccups. You must check out The Homestead for your wedding!

Sent on 06/24/2014

Samantha · Married on 06/01/2013

You cannot beat the setting and scenery at The Homestead. I looked all over Michigan trying to find the perfect venue for our wedding and there is no comparison to The Homestead.

The food was excellent. My guests all commented on how much they enjoyed our wedding because the resort is so relaxing and beautiful. There were a couple hiccups with vendors outside of The Homestead but the staff (especially Barb) made sure that I was ok, my guests were happy and things continued to run smoothly.

The set up and tear down of all our decor could not have been easier. I met with Stephanie for about 10 minutes to tell her how I wanted everything set up. She took notes and it looked beautiful on our wedding day!

Sent on 07/10/2013

Heather · Married on 10/22/2016

We recently got married at The Homestead and were very happy with our experience. It is a beautiful location and our guests enjoyed the quiet, up-north village setting. It is a resort, but it is not cheesy or gimmicky at all. They provided us with a wedding organizer document, which was basically a giant checklist to ensure that we had all of our bases covered, and also served as a communication document between us and our wedding coordinator, Lynzie Gotshall. Lynzie was incredibly helpful and responsive during wedding planning, and with the Homestead team, helped to execute what seemed like a flawless wedding day! The reservations manager (I believe his name is Tobias) stepped in to assist when there was a room availability issue with an out-of-state member of our bridal party, and went above and beyond to accommodate him and his family. The servers for our cocktail hour and reception were professional and ensured that everyone had what they needed. Last but not least, the food was incredible, both at Nonna's and at our wedding reception. The reason for taking off a partial star on the review was the difficulty that a few wedding guests had when booking - the reservations system had crashed over the summer and they were unable to take future reservations for about a week while the system was restored, and some guests had to call back a few times if they did not receive a return phone call. That being said, Lynzie kept us informed about the issue and made sure that everyone was taken care of once the system was back up and running. Thank you for a beautiful, memorable, and fun wedding day!

Sent on 01/01/2017

Michele · Married on 07/19/2014

The Homestead Resort made planning our wedding from out of state effortless and stress free. Their coordinator was professional and organized. She really listened to what we wanted and made sure that our day was exactly what we envisioned. The service from our first visit to our check out day was amazing. We truly felt as though we were the only people on the resort even though it was their busy season. There were other weddings the same day and they made sure that our paths didn't intersect. The only reason I gave a 4/5 rating on service was because some of our guests experienced poor service at the pool/bar area by the beach. It was un-related to our wedding but I felt it was worth the note. My husband and I would both HIGHLY recommend The Homestead for your wedding day. I can't stress enough how amazing they all were.

Sent on 10/08/2014

Callista · Married on 09/07/2013

My husband and I couldn't be happier with how beautiful our beach wedding was at The Homestead. Even though it is expensive to get married in Northern Michigan in general, it was well worth the money we spent. We choose the smallest venue (maximum of 35 guests) which happened to be on the beach overlooking the Manitou islands and Sleeping Bear Point. The reception was upstairs at Nonna's Loft. Our guests loved the ceremony venue and loved the food at Nonna's. Lynzie was an excellent Wedding Sales Associate and Day-Of Coordinator. If you're thinking about having your wedding at The Homestead, do it!

Sent on 08/24/2017

Rachel · Married on 08/25/2017

Where do I start? EVERYONE from The Homestead was helpful, courteous, kind, sweet and supportive. Lynzie made everything easy and had the most excellent suggestions to make life easy for us and all of our family. Our wedding was very small wedding and it was PERFECT! We had a rehearsal dinner at CQs BBQ, the food was SO delicious! Our bartender, Liz, was just so lovely! We had a beach ceremony. Audrey was our day of coordinator-her demeanor was so easy going it helped calm me immensely. Our reception dinner was at Nonna’s and the food was the most amazing spread-we had a made to order menu that was over the top. We also included a farewell breakfast, again at Nonna’s and the spread was just UNBELIEVABLE! Everything from an omelet station and mimosas to lunch service. Just incredible. Once again, we had had the privilege of Liz as our bartender. Also, the ladies had manis and pedis done the day before the wedding at LilyJade-Erica and Nicole made us all feel comfy and beautiful at the salon. Last but certainly not least: JESSICA made my hair look so AMAZING!

Sent on 09/24/2017

Laura · Married on 09/17/2010

Great location!

Sent on 12/29/2010

3.0

Our wedding is at The Homestead in May and so far we have loved working with them and the property is absolutely breathtaking! We are so excited to continue working with the fabulous staff and to have our wedding! We are having both the rehearsal dinner and wedding on the property and have recommended that our guests make a weekend out of it so they spend more time up there.

Sent on 12/12/2014

3.5

Amazing staff, beautiful beach wedding location, perfect for bridal party and guests.

Sent on 01/15/2015

The Homestead's reply:

Thank you for your recent review. We are pleased that you chose The Homestead and hope to see you again soon.

Lauren · Married on 09/04/2011

From the moment we visited the ceremony site atop Bay Mountain and reception site at Mountain Flowers Lodge, we knew The Homestead was where we wanted to get married and, looking back, we could not be happier with our decision. Though it was a little pricier than we were looking to spend, it was worth every penny. Barb and her team were great to work with, very professional and they know what they're doing! Even with a little mid-afternoon rain, they did everything in their power to get our guests up the mountain to hold our ceremony where we had originally planned. Everyone kept commenting all weekend that I was the least stressed bride they had ever seen, and I owe a lot of that to Barb and her team. They kept me organized the month or so prior and we were able to meet 3 days before the wedding to go over final details and drop off all the decorations and I didn't have to think about a thing after that...was able to just enjoy the days leading up to the wedding with family and friends. All of our guests loved the resort and Glen Arbor and are already talking about when they can go back next. They also all commented that the food was some of the best they had ever had at a wedding!

If I had to change anything about our experience, it'd be to get earlier check-in times for our guests and to have the on-site restaurants/bars open more and later.

I would definitely recommend The Homestead to any bride-to-be!

Sent on 09/20/2011

Leigh · Married on 07/17/2010

The staff was polite and so helpful. Everything was taken care of wonderfully--my family and I had a great experience. It really made our day perfect!

Sent on 12/29/2010

Michelle · Married on 06/19/2015

4.2
      3.5

Our wedding was at the Homestead Resort on June 19, 2015 and I couldn't have asked for a more picturesque day and venue. I was a little nervous going into the week of our wedding as we found out that our catering manager that we worked with the past 10 months had left the resort for other opportunities. The director of Group Sales, Barb Ellis, stepped up to the plate and was able to calm all of my nerves and make sure all my expectations were met and exceeded. She went above and beyond to make sure that all the promises that were made were executed. I got married on top of Bay Mountain and the reception followed in The Mountain Flowers Lodge. Barb and Lennox were there every step of the way to assure we had the perfect day and constantly checked in on me and my husband and made sure everything was going well and to see what else they could do to create the best experience for us and our guests. Dinner, Bar, Late Night Snack and S'mores all went according to the timeline and schedule I set and without a hitch. It was the most perfect day!!! I just wish the DJ was allowed to play past 11pm, as none of my guests were ready to leave the party!

Sent on 07/01/2015