The Henry Clay Reviews

22 | Louisville, KY

22 Reviews for The Henry Clay

The Ballroom and South Room are 2 of the prettiest rooms in Louisville! Everything was perfect and we couldn't thank Leigh at The Henry Clay and everyone at The Silver Spoon enough for making our daughter's Wedding "the best day of our lives!"

Kyle · Married on 08/31/2013

My only complaint was that the bar staff really needs to do a better job of ensuring that underage drinkers dont have access to the alcohol. I understand that someone else could get it for them, but there were times where I saw people underage approach the bar and get served.

Otherwise everything else was excellent!

Michelle · Married on 08/31/2013

The Henry Clay was so wonderful to work with! Our wedding was on the second floor Grand Ballroom, with our cocktail hour in the South Room on the same floor. It was so nice to have everything on one floor, and it was easily accessible. On a Saturday, street parking was easy to come by for our guests.
    You have to use the Silver Spoon (Henry Clay’s exclusive caterer) and WOW they do not disappoint.
    Overall spectacular, beautiful space and a great time!

Lauren · Married on 08/10/2013

This was absolutely the PERFECT space for our wedding and reception! I truly believe it wouldn't have been the same if it weren't on the 4th floor of the Henry Clay. The flow of the space was great and each room was so beautiful. We received so many compliments and comments on how cool the space was. Jessica was so easy to work with and was so flexible for anything we needed. Love the Henry Clay!

I used The Henry Clay for my reception only.

Beverly · Married on 06/29/2013

Could not have been happier wth The Henry Clay for our wedding. The whole process was a wonderful experience due to The Henry Clay's wonderful staff and delicious food. All of our guests were very complimentary of our wonderful venue choice. Dina handled everything beautifully and was always very easy to get in touch with to answer all our questions. Several of our friends are going to look at The Henry Clay if and when their children get married. Thank you again for a great memory.

Paula · Married on 06/08/2013

We could not have been more pleased. EVERYTHING at the Henry Clay was perfect. It is an absolutely beautiful venue for a wedding and reception. The staff was amazing! (Mother of the bride)

Susan · Married on 06/01/2013

Everyone we worked with was helpful and made sure we had what we needed to make my daughters wedding a once in a lifetime event.

Elizabeth · Married on 09/01/2012

The Henry Clay is a stunning building. If you are looking for a dramatic venue with an old world flair -- look no further! I received so many compliments from guests about the building. We rented the Beaux Arts Ballroom for the reception and its foyer for the cocktail hour. There is a very charming terrace off the foyer, which has Italian lights and a lot of seating. Sarah B. was very responsive to emails, easy to work with, and extremely accommodating given the fact that I live 500 miles away. The cost of rental was comparable to other event spaces in Louisville, but the Henry Clay's location can't be beat.

Peggie · Married on 09/10/2011

Our wedding ceremony and reception were on the 4th floor of The Henry Clay and it was the perfect backdrop for the fairytale wedding our daughter had always dreamed of!
    Sarah was our first contact and she was very professional, courteous, helpful and patient with us!
    We rented the entire 4th floor and had a lovely event! It was elegant, beautiful, and the perfect size for our wedding of approximately 140 guests.
    The Henry Clay is a perfect choice for a dream wedding and reception and we recommend it without any reservations at all! Every person we dealt with was professional and helpful. It is a wonderful wedding venue!

3.5

Most gorgeous venue in Louisville!

Henry Clay was a place I had dreamed of getting married at since I was a little girl growing up in Louisville, KY. The venue was spectacular!

• Katherine

Katherine · Married on 06/01/2013

The Henry Clay was great. We loved the building and got so many compliments! Everyone was very helpful and the staff was great!

Megan · Married on 10/04/2008

We held our reception at the Henry Clay in the grand ball room, and it was amazing. The room had a great stage for a band, and we rented the Atrium outside of the grand ball room to have a cocktail hour before the reception.

Linette · Married on 09/08/2007

My wedding and reception were held at the Henry Clay, an old renovated 1920's building in the heart of downtown Louisville, Kentucky. It was the most perfect setting for my wedding. The decor of each of the rooms our party used was the perfect backdrop for photos and the 'experience' of the event. It created a romantic, classic, and chic setting.

I used the bridal suite on the 4th floor of the building. I it includes a generous space including a kitchenette, open living/dining area, a bedroom with large windows, and a vanity/bathroom with bathtub. It was tastefully decorated and provided a good backdrop to many of my bridal photos. This room was directly across from the reception room- the Beaux Arts room. All I had to do to take prewedding photos was head across the hall!

We held our wedding in the center of the downstairs lobby. The room is open to the second floor. The ceilings are vast and there was a grand piano available for the use of our string quartet, which they utilized during the pre- and post- wedding music. The setting was beautiful and tastefully restored without being over the top. I entered the room from the elevator which is near the front doors to the building. They supplied a beautiful deep red carpet that extended the length of the aisle. They supplied soft gold chairs that we added sheer gold bows to the back of on the first two family rows. We hung tobacco canvas from the 2nd floor to create an altar. The room didn't need many flowers because of the sheer beauty of the space. I believe we only used 2 oversized planters filled with flowers.

After the wedding we had a cocktail hour as a prelude to dinner and dancing. We had this in the promenade on the 4th floor- a vast hallway in which we setup gift tables, an open bar (very tastefully done), and the servers brought around classy appetizers. It was beautiful. We did this for about 30-40 minutes.

The wedding started at 6:00pm and the reception started around 7. Almost as soon as we sat down the servers (for our 20 tables at 6 people each) began taking drink orders. They promptly brought dinner about 5 minutes after we were seated. The space we used for the reception included: (again the entire 4th floor- using the bridal suite, Beaux arts Room, Promenade, and terrace (good outdoor space for smokers and once again decorated classically). It was very flexible and beautiful. The Beaux Arts room has 2-story ceilings topped with beautiful gold and green stained glass skylights. I believe they allow candlelight although we did not use it. And at the front of the room there are large, large floor to ceiling columns that provide the backdrop to the deep red carpeted stage- we used this to place the cake in the middle. It looked very grand! :)

I hope this is helpful! I loved the spaces at this venue! No complaints!

Krystal · Married on 09/09/2011

3.5

They were great to work with and flexible with our odd schedule. We were both living out of town and had to do a lot of the work over the phon eor via email, but they were willing to accomodate drop offs and office visits. Beautiful location, everyone that came agreed.

3.5

The Henry Clay was great! We mostly worked with Sarah and she was so sweet and answered any questions we had right away. We did have some struggles getting ahold of Jessica, I am not sure why.

• User3972034 · 2+ years ago

2.6
      2.5
      3.0

As far as the beauty of the facility, it definitely exceeds the standard. We had our wedding on the fourth floor with the cocktail hour in the South room and the reception in the Grand Ballroom, and the space is fantastic. City Soultions and Sarah were as wonderful as the facility itself. In booking the Henry Clay, you must use their catering service, and that was where our qualms fell. We did find it rather difficult to work with Silver Spoon and Michelle. Although they were very good at responding in the beginning before the contract was signed, we soon found it impossible to hear back from them. We had also discussed with them bringing in our own appetizers due to a mixed culture/vegetarian cuisine, however they would not allow this and instead said we could not have the dishes we wanted because they were not able to make them. Somehow, it feels that there could have been a more happy medium reached, however there were not many concessions made on their part to make this happen.

1.4
      1.0
      0.5

The Henry Clay as a building is a wonderful historic site and has many things to offer but the service isn't welcoming or responsive. We had to call several times to get anything answered or resolved. The guests were sweating and the room couldn't be cooled enough. They didn't seem to care. We had to clean the hall before set up could take place. These are things I would've thought the amount of money we paid for 4 hours would have been checked and taken care of. Since the original coordinator left our experience wasn't pleasant nor professional. I wish I could recommend but I can't.

Jackie · Married on 05/14/2010

1.2
      1.5
      1.0
      3.0
      0.5

We had our daughter's wedding reception at The Henry Clay in May 2010. The staff at The Silver Spoon refused to meet with my daughter and now son-in-law to taste test food to be served at reception (saying they had already meet with our wedding planner (Ellen Fox) and us-we had no taste test) and was hard to have them tell us our appetizers that they would serve during cocktail hour. The City Destinations Group that manages The Henry Clay was very difficult to work with. Ms Baker was very rude and talked down to wedding planners and decorators, not allowing us to place a pots of roses at base of stairs and place a nice calligraphy sign directing guests to second floor. Instead she had a 8x10 piece of computer paper taped to wall (which I just realized was not supposed to be allowed there). We were hoping to brighten entrance a bit- but The City Destinations was very difficult to work with. The Silver Spoon was also very hard to work with- not receptive to arranging tables,etc, differently than they had in past. We spent $$$$ and now in hindsight may have chosen The Brown or The Seelbach instead.

Sent on 09/13/2010

The Henry Clay's reply:

We are sorry this client felt after the fact that they had a bad experience. The event was beautiful and everyone seemed happy and enjoying the evening. The lobby of the Henry Clay is a neutral space and we had mutliple events going on that night. We told the client this area had to remain neutral and could not have their monogram in it, in respect to the other event. Our staff strives to be polite and courteous at all times, and we feel this is an unfair and inaccurate review.

Katy · Married on 06/01/2015

0.4
      0.5

We had two adult men, who are tenants of the Henry Clay, join our wedding celebration. Not only did they help themselves to drinks at our open bar and who knows what else, but they are in about 50 of our wedding photos. We had gifts stolen from our gift table which we can’t pin on anyone, as we don’t have the proof but it is a bit unsettling to know that we signed a contract with the understanding that no outsiders could gain entry to our event and all it took was an elevator ride down to the second floor for these men. What is even more disturbing is the way the Henry Clay has chosen to handle the situation.

We reached out to the Henry Clay to confront the issue of their tenants helping themselves to our entertainment and drinks. Along with my email, I attached the photo of the two men, holding drinks from the venue. I was expecting to receive an email apologizing profusely for the lack of holding up their end of the contract. What I got instead, was an email protecting the tenants. I am appalled by the responses from the Henry Clay, the Silver Spoon and the City Properties Group, that manages the tenants of The Henry Clay. They lied to us, they protected two men that poorly represented themselves and not once were we offered a sincere apology that acknowledged the mistakes on their end.

So, from one bride to another, DO NOT BOOK YOUR WEDDING WITH THE HENRY CLAY. You may have a solid headcount of 200 people for your wedding but that’s not including the tenants of the Henry Clay that can come on down and join the party and rest assured, the staff will take zero responsibility for the unwanted guests attendance.