The Harlow Reviews

41 | Kansas City, MO

41 Reviews for The Harlow

My husband and I immediately fell in love with The Berg's urban chic (yet classic) style when we walked in. The freight elevator was an amazing addition to doing our grand entrance, and Jillian (the event coordinator) was always very responsive to our questions and concerns. The Berg feels cozy, yet is spacious enough to have your guests up on the dance floor while having more relaxed spots near the back of the venue. The venue was one of the components of the wedding that my husband and I were willing to spend a little bit more money on, because it is so incredibly memorable, and we were not disappointed. I do wish that we could have brought in our own alcohol instead of using theirs, but that is fairly rare with venues anymore. I also wish that we could have dropped off reception decorations the day before, but having a day-of coordinator made set-up a breeze. I would highly recommend The Berg to anyone with a classic urban chic taste and wanting a terrific coordination team!!

Sent on 06/02/2015

The Harlow's reply:

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so glad we could be a part of your day!

We do offer early decor drop off with the purchase of one of our coordination packages.
  • W

Whitney · Married on 11/15/2014

I looked at probably 40 event spaces in town before deciding on one. Now that the wedding is over I am thrilled with the choice I made- the Berg was perfect! Not only were Jillian and Emily great to work with over the year+ of planning but the individuals they hire were also great. From the security officer they provided to the bartenders everyone was super nice, professional and fun to be around. As I was planning the wedding and meeting with other vendors they would ask where the wedding was- when I said the Berg, the reply back was always, “They are great, we love having events at the Berg.” I took it as a good sign that vendors from various industries all love working with the Berg staff and in the space. Jillian and Emily were wonderful helping me find other vendors when I needed some suggestions and helping with ideas to ensure the event was executed properly (I had both the ceremony and reception there). They were always very responsive to my emails and calls. The Berg is not the cheapest date in town but they do not nickel and dime you nor do they add on additional expenses after signing the contract that you were never told about. When you factor in the fact that they take care of tips for anyone they hire to work your event (i.e. bartenders and security guard) their price is probably very competitive to like competition. On the wedding day itself everything went so smoothly, they helped my caterer plan the execution of appetizers for cocktail hour and food stations for the reception. I was never bothered with questions or made aware of any issues that may have arisen the day of the wedding- they handled everything like seasoned pros. Plus the space is cool and unique- the pictures we took in the Berg turned out great!

Sent on 12/10/2014

The Harlow's reply:

Thanks for the amazing review Whitney! Yes, we like to have all of our pricing up front: on our website and in your contract. That way there are no budgetary surprises in the weeks leading up to your event!

Kristina · Married on 08/23/2014

My husband and I had a wonderful wedding ceremony and reception at Berg Event Space this summer. Emily and Justina were a pleasure to work with and so professional. All of my emails were returned promptly and my questions were answered thoroughly. We decided to have day-of coordination and it was a lifesaver! Emily organized everything with our vendors and made the day completely stress-free, which was appreciated by everyone in our families and bridal party.

The space is unique and modern and perfect for our wedding size of 130 people. The windows make the space feel generous and airy and the brick and wood floors keep it contemporary and fresh. Nearly everyone commented on what a cool space it was and how much they enjoyed the atmosphere. It is unique and special--a great place for a wedding!

Sent on 08/27/2014

The Harlow's reply:

Thanks Kristina! We loved working with you from across the globe to coordinate all the details of your big day!
  • Q

Quiana · Married on 05/24/2013

Loved the space. Gave the urban city look I desired! Was upset that wedding pictures were not posted on their Facebook and all other weddings leading up to mine were. Hmmmm

Sent on 03/24/2015

The Harlow's reply:

Thanks for the review, Quiana! We loved your Jayhawk themed reception!
    We post images we receive from photographers and it doesn't look like yours gave us access to your images. If you could get them over to use we'd love to have them in our promotional image archive!

Scarlett · Married on 09/16/2011

Wonderful venue! Very artsy location and made for a beautiful ceremony and reception. The staff was very helpful and made sure everything went very smoothly!

Sent on 01/16/2012

Monica · Married on 09/13/2014

The Berg Event Space is a unique venue and it was definitely a look my husband and I wanted for our reception. Jillian and Emily were very professional and I appreciate them for being so accommodating and flexible with our large guest list. I was getting stressed out during the week of the wedding and kept emailing and calling both of them so I really appreciate them for being patient with me.
    I do want to give future brides a heads up: make sure you really understand your contract!! Ask questions if something doesn't make sense. My husband and I payed for the venue and were slapped in the face with a $2,000 bill for soft drinks…that's where they really get their money. I'm pretty sure our guests didn't drink $10 worth of drinks. I think that's a bit too much for drinks. Other than that, I had a good experience with the Berg. If you're wiling to spend the money I recommend them to future brides.

Sent on 11/09/2014

The Harlow's reply:

Thanks for the review Monica! All beverage packages not only include unlimited drinks of your choosing, but also your glass barware, two bartenders and two dishwashers for your event. Most other venues charge an additional fee per bar tender per hour.

3.5

The Berg was everything I had dreamt of for our reception. Very urban, lofty feel, but still very usable for a big event. They were great to work with and handled a lot of the day-of details- Jillian even fixed my bustle when my bridesmaids couldn't figure it out! We only had one miscommunication working between the two contacts which resulted in not getting the passed champagne toast we had planned on adding to our alcohol package, but it didn't really take much away from anything especially since the bar was open during dinner. They are very up front about restrictions and rules, but I appreciate that vs getting surprised later.

Sent on 07/08/2014

My husband and I had our ceremony and reception at the Berg Event Space. I loved the space the minute I walked in there. The best part of the Berg was Emily. My wedding would have not have happened without her. She took care of everything. I had a problem with our initial caterer and she gave me great suggestions on other places to go with. I can't say enough good things about the Berg. Our wedding was everything we wanted. Thanks again Emily!

Sent on 12/23/2013

Kristin · Married on 10/12/2013

Unique space. Was great to work with Emily and Jillian - they ensured that the event was executed as planned. A little pricier than other venues but well worth the cost.

Sent on 12/27/2013

Sadie · Married on 09/10/2011

The Berg was a pleasure to work with! Very helpful when it came to meeting our needs leading up to the weekend and during the night of the event. Appreciated the quick responses and all the coordination since we were out of town - that helped tremendously knowing that we were in good hands the day of. The venue is just spectacular and speaks for itself- had no complaints there. The perfect combo of rustic chic - and right in the heart of the city close to all the action. All the furniture was set up just the way we wanted and the event staff was a huge help the night of with the mics and technical elements. Everything it was just perfect for our BBQ rehearsal dinner!

Sent on 11/01/2011

Libby · Married on 10/31/2009

4.2
      3.5

We had an amazing reception and loved the event space. They were very flexible on most things, however, some venues allow for a more flexible bar. I would highly recommend this place for a great wedding reception/party!

Sent on 02/01/2011
  • W

Whitney · Married on 10/29/2011

4.2
      2.0

The only thing we were frustrated about was the flexibility of the Berg. We paid $3000 + several other fees to have our reception there on a Saturday evening. We were only able to begin decorating the space 4 consecutive hours prior to our event. Because we only held our reception at the Berg, we could begin decorating at 2pm and that is what time our wedding began and we didn't want to ask any family/friends to miss our wedding in order to setup the reception site. We had very limited time to decorate the space and had to ask many people to help setup so that we could finish in time. We were offered more time at $150 per hour, I believe, so that was not an option as we were on a budget. We did, however, appreciate that the tables and chairs were all setup by Berg staff before our decorations crew arrived and they allowed us to store our decorations in their basement overnight the day before. I rated Value 4 stars because you get very few perks included in the cost of the space. Bartender fees, disposable cups, catering, parking fees, security fees, etc. all cost extra and several are required.

The customer service and response time we received was excellent. All our questions were answered and we appreciated the 'consultation' appointment to discuss the layout and what not. The Berg representative whom we met with gave us some great suggestions and we appreciated her help!

The night of the reception was excellent! In our opinion, everything ran very smoothly. The Berg representative was very helpful with our entrance via the freight elevator and answering our last minute questions. Other than that, she didn't bother us with other questions/issues or make herself noticeable in our crowd of guests - which we very much appreciated! We gave a check to our coordinator and asked that the Berg representative get with our coordinator at the end of the night to have our final balance paid and that went very well.

We had approximately 150 guests and they all fit very well.

Sent on 12/02/2011

The Harlow's reply:

Thank you for the review Whitney!
    Beginning in 2013 we've moved to an all-inclusive pricing structure to make our costs more clear to brides and grooms. We also have a Total Cost Worksheet available to download on our website www.bergeventspace.com

2.5
      3.0

The venue is a beautiful blank canvas in an urban setting. The cost of the venue and all of the fees included make it rather expensive. We blew way past our budget because of little additional fees we were not fully aware of here and there (from all of our vendors, not just The Berg). The staff is very friendly and helpful, but you do have to pay them extra to go above and beyond with planning. As I mentioned, it is a blank canvas. You can use this space to create any sort of mood you would like, if you have the money to do so. The dressing rooms are really beautiful, however you don't have a ton of time in them to get ready unless you want to pay extra. You also cannot have your rehearsal here unless you want to pay an additional ceremony fee ($700ish, I believe) to book a single hour for the night before. I would recommend this place to ANYONE because of it's uniqueness, urban feel, beauty, and location. However, I would encourage people thinking of this venue to read into the fine details of all contracts and to carefully consider their budget before booking.

Sent on 01/02/2014
  • Jenni

Jenni · Married on 10/23/2010

3.0

BEAUTIFUL VENUE. This was hands down the best place for our wedding. It was beautiful without having to put too much time into decorating, the staff was friendly and it was exactly what we wanted for our urban/city wedding. The only negative I had was that the floors were filthy, and I was no aware of it. They looked clean, but within 10 minutes I had black marks all over the bottom of my gown. To the point that they could not be cleaned out. With brides walking around in expensive gowns it would be nice if they would have someone come in and clean the floors.

Sent on 01/11/2011

The Harlow's reply:

Thank you for your compliments Jenni!
    We do have our floors swept, vacuumed and mopped for each event. However, our floors are original 1909 wood floors and just don't clean up like concrete or tile. We hope that the beauty of the floors in your photos out weighs the scuff marks :)

Amanda · Married on 01/17/2009

3.4
      3.0

Great event space. Many guests commented afterward how much they liked our venue, and were happy we had our event there. Sandy was helpful in getting the event planned and was around all night to make sure things ran smoothly. I'd recommend this space to any bride looking for a fun loft venue in downtown KC.

Sent on 01/20/2009

1.5
      3.0

I will start out by saying the Berg Event Space is a gorgeous, modern loft style and when I look back at the pictures and the video I will be reminded of a wonderful day.

That said I have several complaints. Let me start with the bar package. Only the groomsmen are permitted beers before the ceremony. My father (groom's father) was denied a beer during this time. My groomsmen complained that it was still very difficult to get a beer even though they were supposed to be permitted. I was a bit embarrassed that the open bar I purchased had so many restrictions. I found out there were no shots allowed when all the groomsmen gathered up to take a celebratory shot. There were no shots allowed even though I bought a package that included liquor. Again, I was left embarrassed in front of my guests.

The Berg is not flexible, and they do not care if their lack of flexibility will cost you big time. Reading through old reviews it appears that once upon a time the Berg allowed you to store items in their basement overnight. I am here to tell you that option no longer exists. With all of the rentals involved in a wedding, this creates a nightmare situation. Our vendors all acted like leaving things at the venue was a given, but when we talked to the Berg, they were nonnegotiable - even when we explained that this would turn a $200 chair rental into $700 because of overtime wages and same-day pickup.

Underlying all of these complaints is the feeling that we were not valued by the Berg staff. The price of this venue is on par with other venues in KC, and I believe you should be treated with respect as such a paying client. We were not. Our other vendors were so friendly and treated us as if they were happy we chose them to be a part of our wedding. KC has a lot of beautiful, modern venues. If I were choosing all over again, I don’t know that I could say I’d choose Berg Event Space.

Sent on 06/10/2014

The Harlow's reply:

Bar service is contracted for 4.5 hours to begin following the ceremony. Complimentary champagne and beers are provided in the Groom's Room and Bridal Suite prior to the ceremony, but are not meant to be unlimited during the 4 hours of set up time. We will happily arrange an open bar for additional hours when requested, for an additional charge. Our contract states that we do not serve shots. We practice responsible alcohol service outlined by the state of Missouri, the issuer of our liquor license.

All clients with outdoor ceremonies are responsible for renting outdoor chairs to be delivered and picked up same day. Unfortunately, we do not, nor have we ever, had the storage space to store 150 chairs in our basement. I feel we are very up front with clients on all of our policies. Our main goal is to provide excellent service and make your wedding day as stress free and smoothly run as possible with direct, prompt and honest planning strategies in the months leading up to your event.

We are disappointed you feel that you and your wife were not valued throughout your planning process! We had extensive communication with your wife throughout her year long planning and feel that we were always prompt, courteous and helpful when responding to emails, retuning phone calls and meeting in person. I am glad to see that you have given other vendors, many of our favorites, such high marks. I'm only sorry we were not able to impress you in the same way.