The Grove Redfield Estate Reviews

171 | Glenview, IL

171 Reviews for The Grove Redfield Estate

Michael · Married on 10/14/2017

3.5

The venue area for the ceremony was outstanding in terms of elegance and class. The grounds were well kept, neat and tidy. The house itself was very clean and orderly. We had no problems with setup for the ceremony and everything went as smooth as possible considering it was a very rainy day. All of the staff on grounds that day were extremely helpful and courtious. If there is one item that could have been improved it would be the coordinating staff prior to the actual wedding day. There was not a specific instance and no harsh words were exchanged but it seemed like everytime the bride and I had a request the coordinating staff responded in a very black and white straight foward answer which was not very welcoming. When we did book the venue which was for a Saturday we were not informed that the Friday night before the wedding was already booked, so our rehersal walkthrough had to be performed on the wednesday the week before. This was something that made logistics and coordination more difficult and would have been nice to know when we booked the venue. All in all the venue was great and the groundscrew and help the day of the wedding were all amazing but I would suggest having a wedding planner or a list of pre thought out requirements prior to booking the event to ensure all questions are answered appropriately.

Sent on 10/23/2017
  • monica

monica · Married on 07/18/2015

4.2

Overall the Grove staff were helpful and professional. During my visit for figuring out the layout Carol was very nice and helped me with any questions I had. I always received very prompt responses to my emails from Shelley or Carol which I very much appreciated during the stressful time of planning! The venue is beautiful and the staff on site are very nice and helpful with anything you may need. The Grove is a beautiful outdoor venue and I would recommend this place for any wedding!

Sent on 08/02/2015

3.5

The Grove is a WONDERFUL venue for any special event. The grounds are impeccably kept, and it is lovely any time of year. There is obviously great pride and ownership by those who run and maintain the estate. While we really just kept the event to the Pavilion, there are a number of lovely spots throughout the estate that could accommadate a variety of visual styles and tastes. My only two points of realistic drawbacks would be 1) it's a bit pricey--once you add in caterers, lighting, etc, it's quite pricey vs hosting the event at a hotel, where hall rental is not a separate charge; 2) there's unfortunately a max capacity of 125 for outdoor, 100 for indoor. It was a little stressful for us when we were inviting guests and confirming RSVPs.

Sent on 07/07/2014

Alexa · Married on 10/14/2016

4.2

It was absolutely beautiful! We had the perfect ceremony!

Sent on 11/17/2016

3.0

In general I was very pleased with THE GROVE. It is a beautiful place adding unique atmosphere to my wedding.
    I had some questions but couldn't find anyone to talk to during my event . At the end I came across some man attending the Redfield Estate (didn't catch his name) but he was kind of grumpy so I didn't bother asking any questions....
    Everything else was great and I would do it again.

Sent on 07/08/2014

Jennifer · Married on 09/22/2007

3.0

It was the perfect place to be creative in what you want to do. It provided a quality ceremony site just steps away (but far enough to make you feel that is was seperate) from a breathtaking reception area. They wre very flexible to what you want to do and who you would like to bring in as your other vendors. I would recomment anyone to host their wedding there.

Sent on 04/07/2008
  • Avalon

Avalon · Married on 05/04/2019

Great Communication/Rushed Ceremony

I mainly worked with Debbie R. when planning our morning ceremony here. Our booking experience was great. We met with Mary to tour the grounds and when booking we were offered a 50% discount due our date being so close to the off-season. Communication was excellent. Debbie was very responsive to our e-mails, and it was fun to get updates on the grounds leading up to our event (deer sightings, floral news, etc.). During our rehearsal, Debbie was available for questions, although it seemed her and my father butted heads a little bit on decor discussion. The day of, the grounds were beautiful and everything seemed to be going according to plan, until Debbie began telling us that were very late and needed to hurry. Yes, we were behind schedule by 15 min, but in the grand scheme of things I don't feel that this was reason for the venue management to step-in and create stress where there was none. There were other instances of being told which button to button and how to hold the bouquet, as well as when to walk. This led to some of our bridal party walking before they were supposed to and walking to the wrong songs, which in turn led to my father having to run up the violinist mid-ceremony to alert him that he needed to play the bridal song. Following the ceremony, clean-up was quick and efficient, and we were able to utilize the grounds for photographs, which were beautiful. As we were finishing up our photos, Debbie reminded us of the time again, telling us that we needed to have everything out of the bridal suite by a certain time as she has a tour of the estate. Slightly flabbergasted that there would be a tour scheduled on a day when there were two weddings going on, we quickly went inside to clean up.

Any bride can tell you, on their wedding day things are amplified and finding a moment of peace is at a premium. I felt rushed and stressed directly due to being told how late we were multiple times. In the future, I suggest the venue not schedule consecutive grounds viewings at exactly the time a wedding ceremony is supposed to end, as, with any event, things may run over.

All in all, this was a beautiful venue with many amazing photo opportunities and a wealth of history. The negatives are things that only I will notice. But, if I can give some advice to the venue. Please, keep in mind that although you have a schedule to keep and this is just another event to you, this is one of the most important days in a woman's life. Weddings are stressful enough without being hounded by venue staff about every detail or time constraint. Show some compassion, and let your brides have a little less stress, even if they are a few minutes late ;)

Of Note: We left on time

Sent on 06/04/2019

The Grove Redfield Estate's reply:

We truly appreciate your feedback and glad that you appreciated the reduced rate and great communication. Very surprised and
    sorry to hear that you felt rushed and stressed. It is always our goal to do our best to assist in making such a special occasion run as smoothly as possible and meet all of your expectations. Your event was very important to us!! We will reflect on your comments and work toward improvements to provide the best customer service and care that we can. We wish you all the best as you start your lives together and thank you again for choosing our beautiful Grove Redfield Estate for your ceremony location.

A User · Married on 01/01/2018

2.0

Beautiful and well equipped venue with too many rules

The Redfield Estate is an absolutely beautiful mansion with expansive well maintained and very picturesque grounds. There is a great space for an outdoor ceremony at a gazebo, an indoor ceremony in a hall, an indoor reception in said hall, or an outdoor reception at a pavilion. All are beautiful, well lit, offer heating or fans for the reception, and can fit about 100-120 people. The price for the beauty and location is great. However, there are just way too many rules and this made the planning and even many things day of very stressful. There's a short list of "preferred" caterers, all of which are expensive and (after tasting a couple of their offerings) not as good as cheaper alternative caterers that I found. There are rules on what drinks can be served and how they can be served (no shots? no beers on tap?) There are very tight timelines on when you can load in, even if the space is vacant for hours before your event. There are rules about diy things like bringing a special treat you've planned for your guests. There is pressure put on to keep the guest count substantially lower than they list the venue can hold. There is pressure against bands even when you're clearly going for an aesthetic wedding and therefore would prefer a band. Many of the rules come with some fine or additional fee if you break them. Some rules are good, but the way they implement their rules adds unnecessary stress, strains relationship with otherwise pleasant venue managers, and makes the venue more expensive than it initially seems if you want to do things like use a trusted professional caterer who isn't on their short list.

Sent on 12/17/2018

The Grove Redfield Estate's reply:

We appreciate your feedback on your experience. Since this review is anonymous and this is the first we are hearing these comments we will do our best to address your remarks. We are grateful that you chose to host your wedding at our beautiful location! Our site includes a historic home and is located in a National Historic Landmark & Nature Preserve so yes, we are careful to protect the site as well as you and your guests to ensure you have an incredible experience. Weddings can be stressful to plan and we strive to help in any way we can! Our time frames afford plenty of time needed and some days we can also offer extra hours if requested. We offer a list of caterers rather than one exclusive to give you more options and their pricing is considered average in the industry standards for the delicious menu options and full service they provide. These caterers have earned our trust over years of working events here and that gives us confidence to have you work with them. In order to meet food safety standards we do discourage any home made foods and let the professionals handle the menu. Guests enjoy drinks served by the trained bartenders but kegs/ shots are certainly discouraged.
    Each event is unique so we discuss the guest count based on what you are planning however we do have a limit of 125 for any event since in very inclement weather you may need to be under cover of the pavilion or even inside the house. We always advise that 100 or less is most comfortable.
    Live music is not only allowed but often chosen for both ceremony and receptions. In fact we offer a list of musicians who have experience performing here. The size of the band just needs to work with the plan and the venue.
    Our rental fees are available on our website and any potential extra fees are clearly discussed ahead of time so you can make an educated decision for such an important event.
    We look forward to each and every upcoming celebration at The Grove and stand ready to help make each one amazing!

2.0

This venue is very beautiful, and I thoroughly enjoyed my wedding here. The only complaints I had were that the bridal suite was infested with carpenter ants. My photographer and bridesmaids were constantly stepping on them and removing them from my wedding dress. They had to have been 100 of them at least. The other issue I had was that my mother wanted to have the groom and the groomsman get ready in an empty upstairs room (she wanted to put food in the room they normally put the men in) and there was a comment made by the venue that there are antique mirrors in that room and that my groom and groomsman were going to be "too disorderly" to be in there...that was really disrespectful and hurtful to us. My groom and groomsman were not drinking at all before the wedding and they are upstanding citizens. This is a beautiful venue. I hope they can get rid of the ants and put customer service as a top priority.

Sent on 08/11/2015

The Grove Redfield Estate's reply:

We appreciate the feedback and customer service is certainly our main focus. We want to make sure everyone knows that the issue with the ants was a one time freak thing to happen and has been taken care of. We are in a natural area and are not inclined to spray pesticides on the property. The other negative comment about staff comments is difficult to understand and if that is what was perceived we are certainly sorry about that. We want all of our guests to feel relaxed and enjoy their events.

3.5

Beautiful historic home set in scenic outdoor setting that is ideal for smaller weddings. Staff is very helpful with event planning. Start and end times were somewhat limited and included set up and clean up, so things were a bit rushed.

Sent on 10/28/2013

3.0

Wonderful space we were very lucky to have it outside with no rain. It looks magical at night

Sent on 10/29/2013
  • Alexandra

Alexandra · Married on 05/15/2009

We had booked the Grove for our Friday afternoon ceremony and I had hoped for an outdoor wedding at the gazebo in the woods. Mother Nature didn't cooperate, so everything was moved indoors to the Redfield Estate. It wound up being the perfect setting for our wedding after all. The rooms were GORGEOUS and made for the perfect place for photos.

I would highly recommend this place for the bride looking for a Friday/weekday wedding. The weekend costs are outrageous - but we only paid $300 for a fabulous setting for the wedding. Plus, they provided all the chairs we needed.

You'll need to bring your own PA system and microphone stand, however.

Sent on 07/01/2009

3.5

Carol was great! Incredibly helpful!

Sent on 07/09/2012

Christine · Married on 09/26/2014

3.0

Our dealings with management were fantastic. Our dealings with the grounds people on our wedding day lacked cooperation. They acted as though they were being put out when asked for fans and heaters.

Sent on 12/15/2014
  • Karen

Karen · Married on 10/12/2013

3.0

Gorgeous venue. Carol and Mary are wonderful to work with. Other staff somewhat gruff and inflexible however. One of four rented propane heaters never functioned during my event. Otherwise very satisfied with venue.

Sent on 10/20/2013

Mrs. · Married on 09/08/2012

3.0

We used the Redfield Estate for our ceremony and I instantly fell in love with it. It was the first out of 30 different venues we VISITED, yes visited... I was very determined to find a special place. Its a bit pricey, but it was everything I wanted. I just wish they would provide services within that price to set up chairs etc. having to outsource those can get a bit pricey. All in all very beautiful place and nice to have use of the house also. They should think of expanding the house so more people can be there - 100 is limit... I would have had my reception there if more people could/ more was included in price.

Sent on 01/30/2013

Michael · Married on 10/14/2017

3.6
      3.5

The venue area for the ceremony was outstanding in terms of elegance and class. The grounds were well kept, neat and tidy. The house itself was very clean and orderly. We had no problems with setup for the ceremony and everything went as smooth as possible considering it was a very rainy day. All of the staff on grounds that day were extremely helpful and courtious. If there is one item that could have been improved it would be the coordinating staff prior to the actual wedding day. There was not a specific instance and no harsh words were exchanged but it seemed like everytime the bride and I had a request the coordinating staff responded in a very black and white straight forward answer which was not very welcoming. When we did book the venue, which was for a Saturday we were not informed that the Friday night before the wedding was already booked, so our rehearsal walk-through had to be performed on the Wednesday the week before. This was something that made logistics and coordination more difficult and would have been nice to know when we booked the venue. All in all the venue was great and the grounds crew that helped the day of the wedding were all amazing but I would suggest having a wedding planner or a list of pre-thought out requirements prior to booking the event to ensure all questions are answered appropriately.

Sent on 01/07/2018

3.0

Venue is beautiful! Service was average.

Sent on 03/22/2014

Jennifer · Married on 07/19/2008

3.0

Beautiful for outdoor weddings! Absolutely gorgeous. Point person (Carol) was very helpful before the wedding with questions, etc. The night of, the caretaker was somewhat rude to my guests towards the end of the night because our transportation was running late.

Sent on 08/12/2008

3.5

This place has so much beauty. I loved everything about it except for one thing. I had a bad experience with a woman named Shelly, who worked there. She had a very bad attitude towards myself and my bridesmaids. She didn't once come out of her office to see if we needed anything while we were decorating. She also seemed very annoyed when we asked to borrow tape/scissors. She never seemed to smile. My husband and I spent a pretty penny to have our wedding there and i was very disappointed with her lack of professionalism. As for Carol, she was wonderful. She helped with so much and acted like she truly cared to make our day special. In the end, I didn't let anything ruin our lovely wedding day.

Sent on 08/10/2016

The Grove Redfield Estate's reply:

Just wanted to respond and say that we are sorry you felt that you were not treated as well as you would have liked. It is always our goal to make every bride, groom and all their guests feel welcome and cared for. Shelley and I both work hard to provide friendly and professional service and we regret that you felt otherwise. We are very grateful that you chose to hold your wedding at our venue and we appreciate your feedback.

Christina · Married on 07/03/2017

2.6
      2.5

Make sure that your liquor and anything else that gets delivered is accounted for!! Also, make sure to let your quests know that they can go into the Redfield Estate. You pay for the place, make sure that it is getting used and that the A/C is on. And remember, it is your day... Not The Groves or the caterers!

Sent on 07/23/2017

The Grove Redfield Estate's reply:

You are so right! It is your day and we are sorry that you have chosen to write a review with negative comments. Our goal is always to work toward a wonderful event and that your experience is a great one. The beautiful home is always open and available for all guests during every event and hopefully your plan for the day includes use of it. Temperature will gladly be adjusted if you like it cooler or warmer as our staff are onsite and eager to assist to make you comfortable. We offer storage space for deliveries as a courtesy and it was my understanding that the caterer and beverage provider corrected the problem immediately. In any case we hope you find that your overall experience was a good one as you look back at this special day.