The Gardens at Heather Farm Reviews

29 | Walnut Creek, CA

29 Reviews for The Gardens at Heather Farm

Kelly · Married on 10/20/2018

Elegant and Affordable: A dream venue

This place is a fairy tale and the absolute best venue to have your wedding. From their incredible staff (Rebecca is amazing) to the stunning garden full of every flower imagable, to the stunning backdrop, this is the perfect place to start the rest of your lives together. We didn’t live in Walnut Creek when we booked the venue and Rebecca spoke to us on the phone for about an hour easing any concern and answering every question we had with kindness and care. She was so on top of communication and every detail we hadn’t considered. She even recommended a phenomenal florist for us (Sweetness and Light), based on my personality, who we simply adored.. The Gardens at Heather Farms is one of the most stunning places I have ever seen, with an exceptional staff, and a gorgeous venue, this is hands down one of the best affordable and elegant Bay Area finds. Book now, while there is still space available.

• Alison

Alison · Married on 11/18/2017

Such a beautiful venue and the staff was very accommodating (allowing us to use the library and classroom downstairs as prep areas). They were communicative throughout the planning process, especially when discussing a rain option given my wedding was in November. I was so pleased with the gazebo and surrounding foliage. It was the perfect wedding venue!

Margo · Married on 10/07/2017

This was the perfect venue for our wedding and is such a beautiful spot. We first visited in February and even though all the rose bushes were trimmed back, we liked the layout of the gardens, and could tell that it would be really stunning when everything was in bloom. We worked with Kelly from the start, and she was super helpful answering our questions, showing us photos from different seasons, and suggesting vendors. Both she and Rebecca were extremely prompt answering emails and made the whole process much easier. We picked a lot of vendors from their suggested list and I'd definitely recommend doing the same; the caterer, DJ, and decoration company knew the venue so well and worked seamlessly together.

The gazebo and rose garden are really lovely for the ceremony and photos, and it was wonderful having a cocktail hour on the patio before moving up to dinner in the reception room. The room looks a little bland on it's own, but I couldn't believe how it transformed once all the tables and decorations were set up. It's sort of like a blank canvas, so you can dress the room up however you like.

Planning a wedding can be stressful, but I feel like ours was much easier than it could have been, in large part thanks to the venue we chose.

• F

Fatemah · Married on 08/20/2016

We loved our venue. We had our ceremony at the garden gazebo area and reception a short walk away. Tons of greenery and beautiful flowers. Our guest constantly complimented our wedding venue. We wanted a venue where our guest didn't have to drive around. The Marriott Hotel gave free shuttle rides to and from the venue to the hotel for our guest. This was important since we had an open bar. No complaints :)

Melissa · Married on 11/13/2015

My November wedding was beautiful and amazing. After looking at several outdoor venues and being displeased with the sites my husband and I knew this was the place for us the second we parked the car. Its so romantic and fun and gorgeous. Our wedding guests were so impressed with this venue. The staff are very professional and accomidating. If you are looking for an amazing venue then this would be it.

Kaitlin · Married on 09/26/2015

This Venue is beautiful!! Had my wedding here and they were so accommodating to my every need. Not one thing went wrong. Would recommend this venue to anyone and you cant beat the price either!

H · Married on 05/03/2015

I got married here on May 3 2015. It was absolutely the perfect venue for us: gorgeous, affordable, great amenities, and they were fine with my dog being in the ceremony. We really lucked out in the timing of our wedding; it was a beautiful sunny day and all the flowers were just amazing....even the roses on the gazebo were in full bloom. That said, we visited the venue at several times of year while planning our wedding and it was always gorgeous, so even if you can't do spring it would still be a great venue. We had our ceremony at the gazebo, our cocktail hour at the pavilion, and our reception in the Camellia room. The Camellia room is set up with absolutely everything you could ever need for a wedding reception (yes the reception chairs are not exactly gorgeous, but we didn't care about that--the ceremony chairs were very nice, though). In addition to the gorgeous setting and fabulous facilities, the people that work in the office there are amazing. I would e-mail them with the most inane and random questions and they always got back to me immediately and they were always super friendly and professional. They do have a list that you have to choose from for caterers, but we didn't find that to be a negative, that means your caterer (we chose Elegant Occasions, highly recommended) will be familiar with the venue which is a great bonus. I highly recommend this venue, I can't think of a single negative thing to say!

Stephanie · Married on 08/02/2014

I loved this venue! The ceremony needed no extra flowers because it was gorgeous all on its own! We walked through a rose garden into a gazebo. It was perfect. The cocktail area was shaded and had a big bar area. The reception area had gorgeous windows and high ceilings. It easily fit our 109 guests and had enough dance floor space for EVERYONE to dance! It was a perfect place to get married :)

Michelle · Married on 04/19/2014

Amazing Venue for both ceremony and reception, they also include tables and chairs with your rental! Stunning amount of roses.

• Ashley R.

Ashley · Married on 08/04/2012

I absolutely postively loved my venue!!! Gardens at Heather Farms is an absolutely beautiful venue to get married at. The staff was accommodating and prompt in their responses. We booked the Camilla Room (main reception hall), the Pavillion Room (outdoor patio area) and the Gazebo (ceremony area) and it was absolutely perfect. The flowers were blooming, the sun was shining and it was quiet and serene. And while it there were people adjacent to the Gazebo (since it is near a park) they were respectful of the fact that a wedding was taking place! My wedding was absolutely perfect and the staff helped make my day one of the most memorable!

Kenneth · Married on 09/04/2009

The Gardens at Heather Farm is such a beautiful and affordable wedding venue. We looked at many different sites as a possibility for the venue of our wedding. The ironic thing about it all is that the Gardens at Heather Farm was our favorite, and least expensive, out of all the venues we looked at! We highly recommend renting the gazebo for a ceremony since the gardens are absolutely beautiful. We had our wedding in early September and all of the roses were perfectly blossomed, the weather was perfect, and we had a great time. We couldn't have asked for anything more.

June · Married on 09/14/2008

Our wedding was perfect, the gardens were beautiful, the staff professional and most helpful for our special needs — all-in-all a superb location for our wedding. The wedding service was held in the gazebo/rose garden. It was a warm afternoon and the staff thoughtfully provided an awning for our guests for shade. The reception and celebration was held in the patio which beautifully accommodated our sixty guests with tables, sun umbrellas for guests, caterers and musicians. I can't recommend The Gardens at Heather Farm more highly as a wedding venue and can assure you that your wedding will go as smoothly as ours...

Beth · Married on 08/16/2014

Great venue; the gardens are incredible. The staff was very friendly and easy to get in touch with during our planning. We highly recommend this location!

• User3647338 · Recently married

3.5

The Garden was beautiful! The venue was amazingly convenient in that the ceremony took place right outside the area we were holding the reception. People could walk the grounds while we got beautiful pictures taken. Best part is that we didn't have a need to pay for flowers since it was such a well maintained garden and in bloom in October!

• Emily

Emily · Married on 08/13/2011

Just two weeks ago I had my wedding reception at The Gardens at Heather Farm, and I would highly recommend this venue. We found it to be the most affordable site in the East Bay, especially for all you get--10 hours of rental time, access to the reception hall, and ability to roam throughout their entire beautiful garden (a great spot for all of those photos)! Our guests loved exploring the rose garden, gazebo, and sensory garden before the reception began, and after sunset dancing in the moonlight on the patio. Their staff was extremely responsive and easy to work with. I appreciated their patience with all of my questions. It was also a bonus to us that they are a non-profit organization, hosting many students and horticulture lovers throughout the year. Not only was our money spent well but it went to support great cause!

Sarah · Married on 10/02/2010

The Gardens are beautiful and the roses gorgeous. The water fountains and rock garden were perfect for pictures. Everything in the gazebo and garden was amazing. The Camilla room is a little dated looking and small. If you have a good imagination you can really spruce up the room like I did. I had to bring in other vendors for lighting, covering up one of the walls with a curtain, linens, etc. etc.. I would recommend this place for someone who wants a small and intimate wedding day. You do have to watch out for extra fees like using non preffered caterers and such. I also wish you could rent the venue past twelve o'clock, but you can't. All in all the outside location is beautiful, the inside needs a bit of work, and watch out for little kids riding their scooters past you during your ceremony! It is a public park!

Sent on 10/12/2010

The Gardens at Heather Farm's reply:

Thank you Sarah for the great review. I just wanted to mention that we now have a beautiful new floor with a wood-grain pattern in our banquet room. We have received many compliments on the room since then.

Another clarification is that we are not a public park, although we are adjacent to one. We block off the entrances from the park to our grounds during weddings. If anyone is causing a distraction before or during your ceremony (this very rarely happens), our building attendants are available to speak with them.

Jeanette · Married on 04/25/2009

3.5

They were amazing- I would definitely recommend this vendor. They provided lists for preferred catering, florists, officiants, dj, photography, you name it. It is a stunningly beautiful site and for the price is unbeatable! The people working there are nice and welcoming and easy to work with.

Denise Barker · Getting married on 11/09/2019

3.0

The Gardens at Heather Farms

The event coordinator was amazing over the phone, and incredibly detailed in her discussion of the venue. She was also very helpful with outside vendors!

• F

Fiona · Married on 10/29/2016

We searched high and low for our perfect venue and we found it at Heather Farms. If you are looking here and have a date in mind during the wedding season, GO EARLY! We were there a year out and got the very last Saturday in October, and we almost missed it!! The staff were very responsive and accommodating, they allowed us to visit and scout the place out many times after booking, and were always on top of responding to my questions. The venue is beautiful and the gazebo is an excellent place for the ceremony. There is a rain option to move the ceremony into the reception hall at no cost (very important for someone looking in October/November). There was potential for rain on our day, but Kelly didn't stress me out about it by waiting to call until the day before to ask how we wanted to proceed. Luckily, we had no rain and were able to enjoy all of the beautiful expanse of the gardens.

Heidi · Married on 09/14/2013

Choosing a wedding venue is the first and one of the hardest things to do when you start planning a wedding. After viewing a few other venues within similar price ranges, we checked out the Gardens at Heather Farms as it is near where both my husband and I grew up. We signed up for a tour that was very informative! They do have some rules (as any venue will have) like no throwing rice and choosing a caterer off a preferred vendor list. But, the beauty of the garden and reception hall completely make you forget about that! We were able to plan and have the wedding of our dreams!! I had an easy time working with the staff and when I lost my wedding bag, they opened their arms and hearts to me and helped look everywhere for it. I would definitely recommend using this facility for a wedding or any large event!!

• Z

Melanie · Married on 06/30/2007

Great location for a summer wedding! There is a beautiful rose garden that surrounds a gazebo where our ceremony was held. In summertime, the garden is in full bloom, there are many shade trees, and a beautiful lagoon nearby that has many birds frequenting it. There is a small staff that is employed by the Garden, and they are very helpful and professional, and made everything run smoothly. They will set up chairs at the gazebo for you as part of the rental fee. I rented the gazebo for an early afternoon wedding and then used the Heather Farm Community Center (across the lagoon, run by the city of Walnut Creek and not the Garden). Garden also has a reception hall but it is more costly than the Community Center.

• Donna

Donna · Married on 04/30/2011

We just had our April wedding at The Gardens at Heather Farm, and our guests raved about how beautiful it was! The Gazebo ceremony site is beautiful, you don't even need flowers! The reception room is fairly plain and bland, but you can really spice it up and make it your own. The big windows and exposed beams provide for a beautiful canvas!

The Pros-
    - Price! For the Bay Area this is an amazing value for a venue. You have a lot of flexibility with vendors on their lists, and it is really a bare canvas.
    - Location- easily accessible, lots of parking, easy enough to find.
    - Scenery- gorgeous garden setting.
    - Staff is easy to communicate with and very responsive. I never had any problem getting ahold of either Tracey or Tyler.
    - they provide and set up any tables you might need, as well as chairs (if you want to use their ugly ones- see con below).

Cons:
    - They are very particular and have their rules. The one I was frustrated with is that you can't use the white folding chairs used for the ceremony for the reception, because they won't allow them to be around food. The chairs they provided for the reception are hideous conference chairs that look like they're straight out of the '80s, so we had to pay $500 to rent the exact same chairs they provided us for the ceremony to use at the reception. You also can't use birdseed, flower petals, etc, which is frustrating to some, but it seems like most outdoor venues have these rules.

Overall I would definitely recommend this venue! Our wedding was 2 weeks ago and we already got our deposit back in the mail.

Maura · Married on 10/11/2008

3.0

The staff were very friendly and easy to work with. Beautiful location, and eco-friendly/non-profit.

Leah · Married on 05/11/2013

4.2

The venue was absolutely amazing! So beautiful! Everyone was so helpful! I just didn't like that we had to be out at an exact time. But I also didn't want my day to ever end! Thank you Heather Farms for making my day so beautiful!

Sanda · Married on 08/23/2008

4.2

The garden was beautiful, all my guest love it...