The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum Reviews

The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 6
The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 7
  • Kerry

Kerry · Married on 06/23/2017

Amazing, amazing, amazing! If you're looking for a historic site or a garden or both then this is the place. Keeler is absolutely beautiful any time of year. It's private and intimate and is oozing with history and charm. Mary Ann was such a pleasure to work with. From the very first contact she was prompt in her responses and answered all of our questions. She requested we visit for a tour and spent an hour and a half taking us through all areas used for the wedding - the garden house, kitchen, the upper patio, and of course the beautiful and amazing garden. She even took us through the museum quickly so we could have a look around. The garden alone feels like you've stepped back into another time. Our wedding was in June and the roses were blooming, it's so pretty! The most perfect backdrop for the ceremony, no decor needed! We loved the garden house for it's smaller size to fit our smaller guest list. We had 55 people and it worked great with having a dance floor as well but not looking too empty a room. We loved that this venue is a 'blank canvas' and is completely customizable. We were able to craft the kind of wedding that was unique to us. While a caterer and all aspects of decorating needed to be hired/rented we still felt it was a good deal and we were able to make it work within our budget to have a beautiful day. Tip : Add on a tour of the historic tavern for your guests during cocktail hour, they will love it! (Photos by Rachel Black : Rowanberry + Lavender)

Sent on 07/12/2017
    The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 12
    The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 13
    The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 14

Jessica · Married on 06/17/2017

Keeler Tavern was the perfect setting for our wedding! The gardens looked beautiful on our wedding day and it made a picture perfect backdrop for our ceremony and reception. We wanted a space that felt genuine and not like a wedding factory, Keeler Tavern was the perfect choice. We loved how easy they were to work with and that they let you use any vendor you choose. Mary Ann was extremely responsive and answered all of my many questions throughout this process. We can't say enough about our experience here!

Sent on 07/29/2017

Alexandra · Married on 09/17/2016

We had our wedding reception at The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern, and it was the perfect location for us! The garden is absolutely beautiful, and the property created an intimate and fun setting for our guests. Our guests enjoyed tours of the museum during cocktail hour. The garden offered a gorgeous place to take photos, with so many different places to take a variety of photos. The team at Keeler is very responsive, thoughtful, and kind. I really enjoyed working with them throughout the planning process. We highly recommend The Garden House at Keeler Tavern for a venue!

Sent on 01/06/2017

Grace · Married on 09/03/2016

Perfect venue for a small, intimate wedding. My husband and I got married September 3rd, 2016 with the threat of Hurricane Hermine flying up the coast. This venue had both indoor and outdoor ammenitites- from the barn, tented terrance, garden room, brick patio, to outside garden- so I tried not to worry too much; there were back up plans! The wading pool is a knockout with lanterns at night. Upper terrace was perfect for cocktail hour, as there was a nice breeze, and a break from the hot sun during cocktail hour. The guests were able to roam around the property and arrive at the seated dinner in historic Garden Room. The only few drawbacks of the venue were small dance floor if you have a large crowd and a dated kitchen- we had to rent a cook tent, portable stove/oven, and tables for prep/set up. The chairs and tables they have available are not too wedding friendly- they are useable, but not if you are looking for a rustic, romantic feel. Make sure you ask a lot of questions- Mary Ann is SUPER helpful, friendly, and accommodating! She has a ton of recommendations and the contracts are very fair and feasible. Gardens are maintained beautifully . Great scenery 365 days a year! Growing up in Ridgefield, CT, it was a very special place to get married at. Perfect for anyone !!! Did not feel like we were on Main Street. It is a quiet location with such charm and appeal.

Sent on 09/08/2016
  • katie

katie · Married on 04/23/2016

My wedding could not have turned out any better. The staff was wonderful and it was so easy to work with them. The garden was beautiful for a spring day. The property is so unique and all my guests were raving about it. It turned out to be a beautiful day so the guests enjoyed walking and sitting in the garden when the sun was shining and continued to go outside when the garden was lit up in the dark. We had a little under 80 guests and it was perfect for the location. The room looked so classy with simple centerpieces. You don't need to do too much to the room as it is gorgeous on it's own. My wedding day couldn't have been any more perfect.

Sent on 04/27/2016

Jessica · Married on 07/18/2015

My husband and I were married on July 18th, 2015. I am a musician who has played for many many wedding ceremonies, so I have seen many venues and was very picky about choosing ours. The Keeler Tavern was the perfect place for our wedding. We had absolutely no complaints and loved every detail about it. It's a truly enchanting place! The venue was a great price, even with having to do our own rentals, catering, decorating, etc. It is the opposite of one of those 'wedding factory' venues, which allowed us to show who we are and make it very personal. Although the garden house has a tiny kitchen, our caterers did an excellent job utilizing it without having to set up a separate tent outside. Mary Ann was wonderful to work with and very accommodating, answering all our questions. The person on site during the day of, George, was also very helpful and kind. The garden was a stunning backdrop to our ceremony. It didn't need any decoration since it was so beautiful on its own. Besides the sound of the string quartet and the small reflecting pool/fountain, it was very quiet, with no noise coming in from the street. The cocktail hour was on the tented upper patio and down below. We had a jazz pianist play on a keyboard on the upper patio. During the hour we had the guided tours of the Keeler Tavern Museum as an option for our guests, which many took part of and enjoyed. Our reception was inside the Garden House where our 85 guests sat at 9 tables comfortably. The space was beautiful and elegant. It didn't feel too crowded, although many more than that number you might have to seat guests outside. We had a 5 piece swing band in the corner and moved 2 tables for more dancing room after dinner was finished and it was a great sized dance floor, especially since we did a lot of swing dancing! Having the bar and small tables immediately outside the garden house, and the garden itself, lit up beautifully in the dark, was a great place for guests to wander or have quieter space thro

Sent on 09/04/2015

Kerri · Married on 09/20/2014

My husband and I held our ceremony and reception at the Garden House with 50 of our closest family and friends on Sept. 20th, 2014. It was everything we wanted. The garden had beautiful flowers and greenery and despite being surrounded by homes, was very quiet and private. Inside is very simple but has beautiful period details that need very little dressing up. The staff is very responsive and will do anything to help make your day special.

Sent on 10/09/2014

We planned our daughter's wedding for an early spring day at the Keeler Tavern Museum. The wedding was on May 24 and the garden was lovely. We held the ceremony in the garden, the cocktail hour on the tented upper terrace, and the reception in the Garden House. The Garden House dresses up beautifully with flowers, and it is wonderfully light and airy with 3 walls of French doors. We heard compliments from many of our guests on this beautiful location. It is perfect for a smaller, more intimate wedding. We had 45 guests and plenty of room for a dance floor.

We also booked the private museum tours for our guests, for a touch of a little something out of the ordinary. The majority of our guests partook in these short tours, which they found interesting.

Mary Ann was a delight to work with when booking the venue and helping us throughout the planning. She was very accommodating and helpful, and just plain fun to plan with.

Sent on 05/31/2015
  • cet2112

Cyndi · Married on 04/28/2019

Beautiful and flexible venue

Keeler Tavern was a beautiful venue with a lot of flexibility and Mary Ann was such a pleasure to work with. We loved Keeler Tavern because we felt that both our plan A and our rain plan were a wonderful way to celebrate with our guests (as opposed to other places where our rain plan was less than desirable). The gardens are beautiful and Mary Ann made sure that it was taken care of the week before the wedding, along with the tent and any painting to get everything looking great before our wedding.
    The gardens were a beautiful place for photos, both during the day and at night. Our wedding day ended up being chilly and a little rainy, so we had our ceremony in the garden house, our cocktail hour under the tent/in the Museum, and our reception in the garden house. It was all such a pretty space and a blank slate for any theme or decor.
    We had a small wedding, but this space was great for that! It did not feel too empty or too full at any time, and we really loved having space for everything that we wanted to have inside.
    We needed to be flexible with other visitors to the Museum and other events going on, but the Museum was great about letting us use the space for our rehearsal and was very flexible about setup time. Our guests loved going through the Museum during cocktail hour and felt that it was a great experience. Our museum guides and the museum staff that were present for the wedding were so sweet, informative, and helpful. We are so appreciative of everything they did for us!

Sent on 05/11/2019
    The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 15
    The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 16
    The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 17
    The Garden House at the Keeler Tavern Museum 18

Jennifer · Married on 06/11/2011

3.0

I had my wedding ceremony and reception at Keeler Tavern. It is a beautiful site and everyone commented on how lovely it was. I had many people ask me how I even found it! (I grew up in Ridgefield) Everyone I worked with at Keeler was very responsive and helpful through the whole process. Roger, the caretaker of the grounds, does an impeccable job with the grounds.

The Keeler Tavern is a historic site so there are a lot of rules that come along with it. It is a little expensive to rent the house but since it is a non-profit I didn't have a problem with that. I gave a 3 rating on flexibility because of the rules - you are not permitted to put anything on lawn of the garden. When you see how beautiful and pristine it is kept you will understand why this rule is in place.

I was so happy with my choice to have my wedding at Keeler Tavern and would definitely recommend them to anyone that is looking for a venue that is beautiful, historic and intimate (max capacity is 90 people).

Sent on 06/14/2011

4.2

The Keeler Tavern was perfect for our small wedding, and absolutely gorgeous. The gardens are impeccably maintained. They have some restrictions such as music ending by 10pm, but we moved the party to the hotel bar at the end of the night and it turned out to be really fun. It is a bit pricey and I feel that for that price it would be nice to have a day-of coordinator included, but you do get managers overseeing and helping with parking which is nice. Mary Ann is so sweet and will try to meet your requests - they are flexible on certain terms in the contract; overall they just want you to respect the beautiful space, which is fair!

We were able to stay within our budget by bringing in our own caterer and alcohol (alcohol was a huge savings for us). You just have to be willing to do DIY and put a lot of pieces together such as rentals etc. But we thought it was completely worth it.

Thank you to the Keeler Tavern for helping us have an amazing wedding!

Sent on 10/09/2014

Christopher · Married on 09/30/2017

3.4
      3.5

This venue was a great setting for our wedding in late September. The foliage was just starting to change and the garden was spectacular. The staff was great the day of as well, although leading up to the big event, we would like to have had some more interaction from the staff as there were a few hiccups we needed to deal with and slow responses added stress and pressure to us and our suppliers to get the final details locked down. In the end it all worked out. It was a great venue and we had a great time,

Sent on 10/15/2017

Ali · Married on 06/09/2017

3.4
      2.5
      3.0

My husband and I had our ceremony and reception at the garden house and it was everything we had hoped for and more. This venue is absolutely stunning and so unique. Our wedding was in June so the flowers were in full bloom which I will say definitely helped with our floral budget! If I had to do it all over again I would have no doubt in my mind to choose this venue again just for it's beauty. We had our ceremony in the back garden, cocktail hour on the terrace and then dinner in the garden house. The venue is perfect for a smaller wedding, we had 75 guests and there was still room for dancing - anything over 80/85 I would say this venue is too small for.

The only reason I am not giving 5 stars is because we had an issue with our rehearsal which made it extremely uncomfortable. I was also expecting Mary Ann to be present on the day of our wedding as she was the person I was working with throughout the process but they brought in someone else to oversee the day, which would have been nice to know beforehand. I don't remember her name but she was rude to a few of my guests and family members. I understand the need to have someone there but that person should have stayed out of sight unless needed. By no means am I suggesting not to book this as your venue, it's beautiful, has a wonderful history, is reasonably priced and even has a plan B for the ceremony if it's raining. If we had not had the experience with the museum representative this would have been a 5 star review.

Sent on 07/13/2017