The Essex Room Reviews

74 | Essex, MA

74 Reviews for The Essex Room

Mark Nestor · Married on 10/13/2018

Great! Would use them again!

Awesome experience! Fun time! Essex Room was very accommodating and responsive to all our needs. Would use them again!

Ali Murray · Married on 09/15/2018

September Wedding

My husband and I had our wedding at Essex Room during September and it couldn’t have been a more amazing experience! Donna and Lauren walked us through the entire process and answered our hundreds of questions. They made sure the day was perfect! We had our after party in the Lobster Trap which added a unique touch. Guests loved it! The next day we hosted a lobster bake looking over the marsh, catered by Woodmans. All the food was amazing. It was truly a perfect weekend.

Sent on 12/13/2018

The Essex Room's reply:

Thanks Ali! It was our pleasure to host your wedding weekend events. You gave your guests a fun filled weekend and we had so much fun helping you plan it.

Danielle · Married on 06/09/2018

We had our ceremony on 06/09/18 outside in the small garden area overlooking the marsh with 24 guests, a family meal after the ceremony downstairs in the Lobster Trap Pub and then a cocktail reception for 130 guests in the upstairs function space that included passed & stationed hors d'oeuvres and desserts.
    One of the biggest draws for us to this space was that we could do everything in one location and not have to move the ceremony guests from place to place.

The upstairs was decorated beautifully with the mixed combination of pictures, flowers, centerpieces & candles that we brought in with the existing decor of the room.

Donna and Lauren coordinated and managed every detail, helped with decisions, made suggestions and were so helpful in ensuring that everything was perfect and stress free for us on our wedding day, it was clear we wouldn't have to worry about a single thing!
    All of the staff we encountered were incredible, so friendly, welcoming and accommodating. They also seemed to want to make sure our day was perfect for us.

THANK YOU Donna & Lauren for making me feel so special and catered too. You answered every email / question / or change to our plan politely and in a timely manner, shared your suggestions on how to achieve the feel we were hoping for and never made me feel I was asking too much.
    Your personal attention to every detail was reflected in how beautiful the day was and you made our day everything we could have hoped for and more!!

I would highly recommend Donna, Lauren, Chef Ned, Maureen and the entire team at The Essex Room!!
    You will not be disappointed by the level of experience, beautiful grounds, amazing food and outstanding high quality level of service you will receive from this group - they know what they are doing and it shows in the level of attention to detail that you will receive.

Sent on 12/04/2018

The Essex Room's reply:

Danielle, Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. It was a pleasure working with you on your wedding and a privileged to be a part of your day. Seeing you celebrate with your mom and daughters was amazing. Best Donna

Jill · Married on 11/04/2017

I loved the Essex Room from the minute we visited and tried their food. The prices were reasonable and staff was always available. Not to mention the dance floor is huge.

Sent on 12/06/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Jill, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with couples looking for a venue on the North Shore. Happy Holidays!

Sarah · Married on 09/23/2017

We are so glad that we chose The Essex Room for our wedding! To start, it is in a beautiful and convenient location with plenty of parking, set on the Essex River with lovely grounds for an outdoor ceremony. It is right in the heart of Essex, but set way back so it feels very private. The function room is beautiful with a big dance floor, a spacious bridal suite and a very cool bar and lounge. The food was exceptional and the guests were raving about it. As part of the wedding package, they also provide a wedding planner/coordinator to really help you work through all of the details, manage the menu, coordinate with the other vendors and work through the schedule which was so incredibly helpful. I would have been lost without them as they really worked hard to make sure my event was exactly how I envisioned and they succeeded - Everything was perfect. The Essex Room really offers a great value for the price and their entire staff is fantastic. I highly recommend The Essex Room to any couple looking for a wedding venue on the North Shore.

Sent on 10/16/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you Sarah for taking the time to write such a glowing review. It was a pleasure to work with you to create such a beautiful wedding and memorable day!

Jennie · Married on 09/09/2017

The Essex Room was an amazing choice. It completely exceeded our expectations. Everyone working there was kind and always willing to help with anything. Lauren and Donna were extremely personable and made our experience wonderful. The food was beyond good and the cook is an extremely friendly person. You will definitely not be disappointed if you choose the Essex Room as your venue and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Sent on 09/11/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you for your kind words, Jennie. It was our honor to be apart of your special day! Wishing you and Ryan best wishes as a newly married couple.

Brittany · Married on 08/26/2017

Working with the Essex Room was one of the best choices we made. We were so thankful to find an awesome venue that was actually in our budget. You'd think the views of the marsh would have been the biggest draw for this venue, instead it was the amazing team (The views were just a bonus!). Our wedding day was absolutely perfect and it was 100% because of the assistance, planning and coordination of the Essex Room team. We mostly worked with Donna and Lauren and they were delightful.

Also of note: Chef Ned and his food are absolutely outstanding. His dedication to his craft is evident and we got so many compliments on our choices. I honestly still dream about my wedding food and I don't foresee that ending anytime soon.

Sent on 09/12/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Brittany thank you for your kind words of appreciation. You and George were a wonderful couple to work with and we were honored to host your wedding. We all wish you the very best!

Samantha · Married on 07/22/2017

My experience at the Essex Room was amazing. They were extremely helpful the day of the even and they were always available to answer my questions beforehand. I could not have picked a better venue to throw my friends bridal shower at. I would do it again, at the Essex Room, in a heart beat! Thank you for an amazing day!

Sent on 08/01/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Samantha, Thank you choosing The Essex Room for the shower and taking the time to write such a glowing review. It was a pleasure to work with you and all the bride's maids. Best, Donna & All Of Us Here At THe Essex Room

Lauren · Married on 06/03/2017

We could not have imagined a more perfect day! The venue was amazing, the staff superb and the food out of this world. We have been told by all of our guests that it was the best wedding they had ever been too! We are so happy and thankful the the entire Essex Room staff for making our day everything we ever dreamed and more.

Sent on 08/09/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you for your kind words, Lauren. It was our pleasure to be apart of your special day, which it truly was special. Best wishes.

Nicolle · Married on 11/12/2016

Beautiful, friendly, incredible food, helpful, nothing but compliments from all my guests for our wedding

Mary · Married on 10/22/2016

The entire team at The Essex Room was outstanding to work with!! From our initial meeting with Faye, through the entire planning process with Donna and Lauren. We honestly could not have asked for more or dreamed of a more perfect reception. PS... the food was exceptional! Our guests are still talking about it.

Sent on 11/29/2016

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you Mary. We send you both happy holiday wishes as a married couple.

Kristin · Married on 10/15/2016

If you want great value plus really top-notch staff and extraordinary food, look no further than the Essex Room. We had a great experience and our guests are still raving about everything, and will for a very long time. We are thrilled we made this choice, and could not recommend the Essex Room with greater enthusiasm. Thank you for helping to put our wedding "over the top." We love you.

Amy · Married on 10/09/2016

We loved working with everyone at The Essex Room and the food was AMAZING!

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you Amy! We loved having you here and being part of such an important and personal event. We all wish you and Brian and happy holiday as a married couple.

Catherine · Married on 09/24/2016

Living in Texas and planning a New England wedding can be a bit of a challenge. I sent inquiries to multiple venues, all beautiful, We selected The Essex Room after a conversation with Maureen Woodman followed by a tour of the venue and the outside area. Maureen was the only person who actually called me within an hour (on a a Sunday, no less) to talk about my vision for the wedding. We first met with Faye Broderick which reinforced that we selected the right venue as I knew we were in great hands for making sure every detail was covered. In addition to Maureen and Faye, Donna Roy, Lauren Muise, Norman Lemcke and Chef Ned and the rest of the staff are INCREDIBLE. Donna was extremely responsive to my numerous e-mails and they were easy to work with to schedule to tours of the venue for a variety of vendors (florists, photographer, our officiant, etc.) for times that I was in Massachusetts. Donna and Lauren checked & double-checked all the details and coordinated / executed everything professionally and perfectly on our wedding day. They set everything up just the way we wanted with the centerpieces we brought in, didn't have to worry about anything. Norman is fun and personable and great with postings and updates on social media and a willing dog handler if you want to include your furry friend in your wedding ceremony. (Bear, our 135 lb. Mastiff, has few manners and drools on everybody so he did not participate in the ceremony, to my and Norman's dismay! ;-) This was the right decision by my husband, btw!) The ceremony on the manicured lawn was lovely, the bar service for cocktail hour and reception was terrific & the food was amazing. Our guests rave about every aspect: from apple cider donuts pre-ceremony to passed hor d'oeuvres & cheeses to clam chowder & mouth-watering filet / chicken / risotto served for the main course. Chef Ned is very talented in the kitchen and our guests LOVED talking to him about the cheeses and other menu items. Highest recommendation!

Magen · Married on 09/03/2016

My husband and I cannot praise The Essex Room enough! We planned our wedding in 90 days - 90. Days. And we could NOT have done it without the amazing team at The Essex Room.
    First of all, the food is made in house and is DELICIOUS (we are still hearing compliments from our guests 4 months later). Chef Ned accommodated all of our guests with dietary restrictions AND accommodated our desire for an off-beat dessert (ice cream sandwiches with homemade cookies... they were so so good!)
    Secondly, they were incredibly flexible with our meager budget. Some venues didn't even want to meet with us because of our budget, but The Essex Room made us feel valued and helped us have the wedding of our dreams without overspending!
    They also provided top-quality referrals for vendors, and honestly they just handled every single detail so we didn't have to! They went above and beyond with decorations - hand-crafted pinwheels and tassels in our colors, outdoor decor for our cocktail hour, etc. Our day went perfectly and we didn't need to stress about a single thing. We feel so blessed to have found The Essex Room - visit once and you'll feel the same way.

The Essex Room's reply:

Thanks Magen! We had such a great time working with you. Thank you for making us part of this very personal and special day. Enjoy your holiday as man and wife. Please send our best to your parents (Glo and Ed) and wish them a happy holiday from us. P.S. Tell Glo that Norman still talks about how much fun he had with her.

Colleen · Married on 08/27/2016

My husband and LOVED the Essex Room when we visited, not because they gave us food and lemonade, but because of the personal attention we received throughout our planning process and day of the wedding. We worked with most of the staff there: Lauren, Donna, Faye, Maureen, Norman, even Chef Ned and they were all fantastic. They even accommodated a request we made 5 days before the wedding. Everyone there had an eye for details, especially Lauren and Donna, who creatively used our decorations in a way I didn't even think of. We had our ceremony and cocktail hour outside and since the weather cooperated we had the most beautiful background, though the outside area is small, photographers know how to work the angles to make the parking lot disappear. From the food to service, everything was perfect, and our guests kept raving about the food! We can't thank the Essex Room enough for hosting our perfect day!

Sent on 11/07/2016

The Essex Room's reply:

Colleen, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us. It was truly a pleasure working with you and Michael. If you have any pictures that you would like to share we'd love to see them! Best Donna

Samantha · Married on 08/13/2016

Donna Roy and her staff were incredible. I asked for a few changed like moving of a swing and and archway and they did it without any questions asked. At one point during the evening my bustle fell down and a staff member was there to get it secured in place. There was never a time I felt like I couldn't call with a question or concern. I loved working with the Essex Room. They brought a family feel to our weeding that we wouldn't have been able to get anywhere else!

The Essex Room's reply:

Samantha, Thank you, it was such a pleasure being a part of your day! Happy Holidays and and best wishes for the New Year!
  • Samantha

Samantha · Married on 08/13/2016

The Essex Room was the first venue my husband and I visited. After visiting them, we compared every venue to the Essex Room. The staff was warm, welcoming, friendly and so flexible. Donna and her team handled anything that came up with incredible professionalism and Chef Ned (and his food) was amazing. They treated us like we were a part of the family. The staff at the Essex Room made our wedding day the best day of our lives.

Sent on 07/18/2017

The Essex Room's reply:

Thank you for the kind words Samantha. It was an absolute pleasure working with you and we were so honored to be part of such a special day.

Michelle · Married on 08/06/2016

I can't say enough good things about the people who work at the Essex Room. Donna, Norman, Lauren, Chef Ned, and others just made sure the day went perfectly. Weather was a major concern for me, and Donna went out of her way to help me feel comfortable if we had to do either option. She went out of her way to help me with various small details to plan for both, and was so great about being organized. The day went smoothly thanks to the team wrangling my friends and family, and EVERYONE is raving about the food - Chef Ned really out did himself! Everyone who worked there wants the day to feel personal to you, and was flexible about making that happen. The venue itself is BEAUTIFUL, and we got some great pictures. Overall, I am SO happy I went with the Essex Room, and am looking forward to booking another event there in the future!

Carol · Married on 08/06/2016

Be sure you are ok if weather does not cooperate!!!

Patricia · Married on 07/23/2016

My fiancée and I were looking for a relaxed but beautiful place to host our wedding, and after seeing the Essex Room and meeting with the staff, we knew it was the right place for our reception. Donna, Lauren, Chef Ned, Norman, and Maureen were all enthusiastic and a pleasure to work with. They kept us on schedule and on track so that none of the big or little details were missed. We had a beautiful and fun wedding that our guests enjoyed, and we knew we were in such good hands, we were able to relax and enjoy our reception. Thank you to everybody at the Essex Room that made our wedding a wonderful event!

Katie · Married on 06/18/2016

Our wedding date is soon approaching and we couldn't feel more at ease than with the Essex Room team. They have been simply great all along the way. The food options at our tasting confirm we will have the best food at any wedding. The entire team has been super friendly, accommodating, flexible, helpful with reception and ceremony ideas and overall welcoming. We truly feel that us and our wedding day matter to each of them and we aren't just another couple getting married at their venue. I read a review posted here in Wedding Wire when we were deciding on which venue and someone mentioned that the people of Essex Room is what made it so great, and I couldn't agree more! I can't wait to see how the entire day unfolds!!!

Pat · Married on 06/18/2016

Ned's choice for our dinner was excellent, and we didn't change a thing on the plate. Their quality of food was our initial reason for picking the Essex Room; however, the biggest draw of the Essex Room is the hospitality and commitment to you as people. Donna, Maureen, Norman, Ned, and their teams are exactly that, a team, and they take the time and effort to get to know you personally and work with you as a friend would. They get excited about your ideas; they share their honest opinions, and they engage with you in a personal way. Your experience with them feels lighthearted and fun, and from day one of meeting with them, you feel welcomed, like a guest at a bed and breakfast. We chose an off-site location to have our ceremony, one the staff have not worked with at the time; however, Maureen and Norman made it work wonderfully. Every guest commented on how beautiful the ceremony was. My wife and I couldn't have been happier, and we are very grateful for our decision to host our wedding ceremony and reception with the Essex Room. Many thanks and praise to all of them, from management to staff.

Ashley · Married on 06/11/2016

We visited quite a few venues after being engaged, which made us think a decision could be difficult. But a few visits in we met with Maureen at the Essex Room and the decision was made that day. We were greeted so pleasantly, given a tour and then served amazing appetizers on the spot. We then sat down and asked a million questions which were answered without hesitation. We knew right away that the Essex Room was the place for us. Not only is the location on the gorgeous Essex River a huge seller, but the price was so much more affordable than the other waterfront spots we checked out. And still we were granted the same level of service. Several meetings up front where we showed our family the venue and asked more questions. It's such an exciting time and the ER staff made us feel even more overjoyed. The intimate food tasting was unreal, a full 3 course serving with just the two of us. SO much different than other venues where you're forced to sit down with total strangers. I don't want to say I was a difficult bride, but I'm all about the little details AND I'm the most indecisive person on earth. But with all of my decor ideas and changes the Essex Room didn't miss a beat. They set up hundreds of candles and signage for me exactly how I had asked. I was able to enjoy getting ready the morning of without worrying about a thing. The weather didn't cooperate and we had to move the cocktail hour inside, but the guests didn't even know about the last minute change. So seamless. And the day of was absolutely perfect. Great service from Donna, Norman, Lauren and all of the servers there. The bar got a bit over-crowded which was our only minor issue with such a large crowd, but wasn't a bit deal. Would maybe just suggest utilizing their second bar to other large parties. And they dealt with out shenanigans on the dance floor from the moment our first dances took place. It was the BEST day of our lives and we still hear from family and friends that it was such a blast.

Sent on 12/07/2016

The Essex Room's reply:

Ashley- Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a heartfelt review. I will make sure to pass it on to our staff. It was our pleasure to host your and Eric's wedding here at The Essex Room. Enjoy your 1st Holiday Season as newlyweds!