The Caterist Reviews

The Caterist 5
The Caterist 6
The Caterist 7

Min · Getting married on 10/04/2019

Ana and The Caterist team did an exceptional job at the wedding I planned for two friends of mine. The whole process from the tasting to the wedding was seamless and Ana was always so responsive and professional. You can tell she truly cares for each of her clients because she paid so much attention to the little details and went above and beyond to make sure my friends' wedding day was the best day of their lives. With me being the planner and also in the wedding party, Ana was super accommodating of my schedule on the day of the wedding! Months before, she and I went over everything that I would not be able to handle such as deliveries, set ups, etc. and made me feel totally at ease leaving things in her hands. Her team also did such an amazing job - the service was impeccable and the level of professionalism was top notch.

The food was also absolutely delicious. Before the tasting, my friends had a hard time choosing what exactly they wanted to serve at their wedding because there were so many great options but Ana was great in helping them narrow it down based on their budget and taste. I had so many guests coming up to me complimenting the food and telling me this was the best meal they've had at a wedding. While we ended up outsourcing the majority of the desserts, Ana was so helpful with the logistics aspect of it such as how to serve it and even went so far as to create a custom gelato flavor for the bride and groom to add to their gelato offerings. She also packed breakfasts for the next morning for the bride, groom, and me and it's just those little things that make me so glad that I was able to work with her!

• Amy

Amy · Married on 11/10/2018

Amazing food and even better service

We were thrilled with our wedding catering experience with the Caterist from start to finish! Ana was amazing and always went above and beyond for us. They blew us away with the initial tasting—which was a perfectly styled, decadent feast where we were served every food item we were considering—and kept that standard of service throughout our time with them. After our initial meeting, there was no way we could even consider another caterer. Ana worked hard to find the best setup for our budget and tastes, and she worked closely with our venue coordinator to make sure the evening went off absolutely seamlessly. She was the most responsive and helpful vendor we worked with. And most importantly, the food and custom cocktails were amazing and our guests loved it! Ana and her team were so incredibly thoughtful about every detail from beginning to end—at the end of the night, they even gave us breakfast boxes for the next morning. Our only regret is that we, as the bride and groom trying to talk to all our family and friends, didn't get to enjoy the food as much as our guests did! I would absolutely recommend the Caterist to any other couple planning their wedding, and would not hesitate to use them again.

• Kathleen

Kathleen Mcgarrigle · Married on 09/29/2018

Free Flowing Reception & Amazing Food

The Caterest is on the recommended caterer list for the venue we selected for our September wedding. From the first tasting, we realized the food would not only be creatively served and displayed but absolutely delicious. Ana stuck with us as we added to or changed the menu and the rental items. (A few times!) My husband is Jewish and so were many of our guests, which required creativity with menu items and how things needed to be served which the Chef accommodated without a problem. Our guests loved everything from the passed hor d’oeuvres to the chef stations with complimenting salads. Our vision of a free flowing reception was realized. The final touches of the sweets and coffee table to the late night snack; our guests will be talking about our wedding, specifically the amazing food, service and venue, for quite some time!

The Caterist 8

Natalie · Married on 07/20/2018

We did a tasting with The Caterist in December and our wedding was the following July. We had already put a down-payment with another caterer, which we were not happy with so we were on the search for a new one. The Caterist worked with us on what we wanted which aligned with our budget. Not over budget, but within budget, as a lot of caterers try to sell you on more and up-charge for everything. At the tasting, we were absolutely blown away! The food is more than amazing and the set up and care they take to make the tasting special is above nothing else. They set it up to show you what you would see and experience at your wedding. My fiance at the time, was not going to go, as he was tired of doing wedding stuff. He was blown away with the food and said he would have missed out. Ana and Cristina are very accommodating, professional, patient and organized. They know what they are doing 100%. Our day had some hitches with our wedding coordinator, but Ana and Cristina had a back up plan and were on top of everything. I cannot speak highly enough about The Caterist. We have received so many compliments about the food, decor and waitstaff since our wedding. We aimed for amazing food, a great bar and a unique venue and we got it all. The food, decor, service, professionalism was all top notch. I would definitely use them again for another life event. A big Thank you to The Caterist. They are truly amazing.

The Caterist 9
    The Caterist 17
    The Caterist 18
  • Joshua

Joshua · Married on 05/26/2018

Extraordinary food, service, and attention! Working with Erin was a pleasure. She helped craft a custom menu to bring in elements from Chicago to make our wedding extra special. Erin was super responsive, gave us a TON of excellent recommendations to ensure our cocktail hour and reception went smoothly, and helped come up with a few new custom elements. Also, great work making our special signature drink a HUGE hit. We loved working with Erin and the team at Caterist.

The Caterist 19

heather · Married on 05/19/2018

We had an amazing experience working with The Caterist. From our very first interactions until last call on our wedding night, Ana and The Caterist team were supportive, professional and very accommodating. We live in California, so planning an out of state wedding was not easy, but Ana took the lead and gave us great advice on food choices, catering styles and even timeline decisions to keep our guests happy and well taken care of throughout the night. We did not have a wedding planner, so Ana was incredibly helpful in the planning process. She gave us tons of advice on ordering quantities, rentals choices and even floor plan. We were able to relax on our wedding day, because we felt confident that they would do a wonderful job making our vision come true. The food was delicious and the catering staff and bartender took excellent care of us, our friends and our family.

Jackie · Married on 02/02/2018

I contacted the Caterist to pick up an event for 200 people after another caterer fell through at the last minute. It was a stroke of luck. Cristina was extremely professional and quickly arranged my buffet event. The food was delicious, salad extremely fresh and desserts were fantastic. Not your typical catered meal. Everything arrived on time, perfect temperature. I could not have been happier and highly recommend the Caterist.

diane · Married on 07/01/2017

ana and her team were top notch. we are super high maintenance and have been in client service all our lives and she and her staff exceeded EVERY expectation. they were wise, caring, and helpful throughout the entire process but especially when despite all our best efforts things got so so busy at the end. they dealt with last minute issues so gracefully and fully that we never even knew they happened until well after the event. now that is awesome service. also, i am gluten intolerant and they made every single thing GF and adjusted/accommodated beautifully for our guests who had other food allergies. and chris their awesome chef made a new recipe, from scratch for GF CHURROS, yes churros, with hot chocolate sauce or caramle sauce that were literally out of this world yummy and we live in san francisco and foodie ridiculousness folks so we know our stuff if you will. and those churros were literally the best thing desert wise i've ever had. my mouth is watering typing this. even my nephew who doesnt really care about food said 3x how good they were and ate like 8 of them. made me so happy to see such joy from a little thing. and it felt so so nice to be cared for that way. and they just really helped the whole party (we had our weekend events in a tent in a friend's backyard) look and feel great. they are truly wonderful wonderful party planners and peeps. you'll have a great event in their hands!!

• Rebecca

Rebecca · Married on 04/29/2017

We used the Caterist for our wedding reception and we're SO glad we did. We had rave reviews of the food from our guests and the quality was so fresh! The Caterist provided passed hors d'ouevres during cocktail hour and plated dinners for our reception. They were responsible for turning our event space from the wedding ceremony into the reception and they completed that very smoothly. All the staff were very professional and made sure everyone received what they ordered. We had some guests with dietary restrictions and they were well looked after. We worked with Erin who was great at communicating especially closer to the wedding when the details were sorted out. She responded very quickly to our emails with questions. She is very flexible and has a lot of experience but the highlight of this company is the food and service. We still have people telling us how much they liked the food and that was one thing that was very important to me! Highly recommend this catering company for any event!

Stacy · Married on 10/22/2016

Starting with the initial process of trying to find a caterer was overwhelming, but Erin was a standout amongst the rest. While some caterers I had to chase down and some were downright rude to me (after I requested a quote from one caterer he wrote this long winded response and then asked if I still wanted my quote - wait what?) Erin kept following up. I shared with her the pricing we'd received from someone else who didn't have servers but we were hoping to have everything taken care of at one company. Erin did her best to match what we had price wise and food wise, and we actually feel like we walked away with a much better deal. And that was only the beginning!

We knew the less vendors we had to be in charge of the less stressful our day will be (our venue we have to provide everything) so we were interested in using The Caterist's recommended bartending group. Another caterer we had considered gave a discount for using their bartender, so I thought doesn't hurt to ask. Erin was on it, getting a couple quotes from their bartender they recommended. While waiting for a second quote from them, she found another bartender that was cheaper. Before I could reply she found another that not only was even cheaper, but that would create us a signature drink. How cool is that? I can't say enough great things about Erin going above and beyond hunting down the best deal for us.

Erin hooked us up with tickets to an amazing indie bridal show and also made sure we came to their winter open house tasting event. In general once Erin learned what our theme was she would throw any ideas she had out there for us, once again going above and beyond.

The final product was fantastic, we got so many compliments on our food. One of my friends told me "my husband never eats the food at weddings and he cleaned his plate." My only wish was that I got to see our fabulous popcorn bar from cocktail hour, we missed it because we were taking pictures. Thank you Caterist!!!

Sara · Married on 09/04/2016

We used The Caterist for our 2016 wedding. They are the BEST. We worked mostly with Erin and Cristina..but the entire team was just as amazing. They are so professional and really make you feel like your wedding is the only wedding they are catering. Erin went out of her way to send photos of examples/ideas and would always check in. I was searching for rustic "dish towel" type napkins and could not find them at any rental place...Erin joined the search and found some for me.

We really enjoyed our tasting and all of the details that went into it. I am a photographer .. so they made sure to have photography props.

We wanted a unique menu (taco bar, grilled cheese/slider bar, pies for dessert) and they worked with us to come up with an awesome menu.

They even set up a tray of our hors d'oeuvre /a cocktail of our choosing after our ceremony so we could scarf down some food before heading to cocktail hour.

The food was amazing...all of our wedding guests could not say enough about it and all said it was the best wedding food they had ever had.

The team worked so hard during our wedding..setting up and doing room flips/food service..but at the same time it did not seem chaotic.

If you want a hard working team, great food, people who pay attention to detail, creative, artistic, awesome...then use The Caterist.

menu:

Pass arounds:
    chicken and waffles
    lamb kabobs
    melon/prosciutto
    hummus/tabouli

Dinner:
    Pasta bar - pesto pasta, parmesan crusted chicken, rolls with herb butter

Taco bar - chicken/steak tacos with all the fixings

Slider bar - prosciutto grilled cheese, hamburger sliders, pulled pork sliders, broccoli slaw, mini corn on the cob

Dessert - S'more bar, baklava, assortment of pies, cake to cut into

marc · Married on 08/27/2016

The Caterist was amazing. The crew that handled our wedding was absolutely spectacular; they did a magnificent job with the food, set-up, break-down, serving, and much more. Truly professional and would highly recommend!

• Emilee

Emilee · Married on 07/02/2016

The Caterist did an absolutely outstanding job for our wedding! I had guests and other vendors coming up to me throughout my reception asking who catered it and wanting contact info. The food was amazing, so delicious and beautifully displayed. I worked with Erin who obviously paid close attention to my initial email, our first meeting, and caught every detail throughout the planning and ramp up. She had great ideas, took my budget seriously, but also somehow managed to present me with the most customized and on point menu from the start. I really can't say enough about The Caterist, they even gave us a boxed breakfast to take away since they knew we were flying out on your honeymoon the next morning. They're the best!

Molly · Married on 07/02/2016

Ana and The Caterist were absolutely the best! Our venue was one they had never worked at before and they went above and beyond to make sure everything ran smoothly. They offered to help the venue create a floor plan which was a huge help to all of us. They worked with us to create a menu that we loved and the presentation was phenomenal.

The entire staff was friendly and accommodating the night of the wedding. I couldn't be happier with our catering choice. Thank you Ana!!

Lindsey · Married on 06/25/2016

I really cannot say enough amazing things about The Caterist. Erin and Cristina are the ones we have to thank for truly making our wedding the most amazing day ever. They are professional, personable and have an amazing staff!

Julie · Married on 08/22/2015

I have a million amazing things I want to say about The Caterist and everyone there - They are absolutely THE BEST! We hired them for our August 2015 wedding with 170 guests, and we couldn't have made a better choice.

We did unconventional small passed plates instead of a traditional sit-down dinner, and they nailed it. Erin was really great in the planning process and helping us complete our vision of how we wanted the night to go. She was great with following up on questions, sending us information on how everything would look and feel, and was very organized with everything.

Cristina was our catering fairy - SHE. IS. AMAZING. She was in charge of running the show on our wedding day, making sure everything was set up exactly how we wanted it. Her staff was amazing and helpful, and she checked in every so often to make sure we were doing okay.

They were truly amazing and helped to make our wedding day unforgettable. We would (and will!) highly recommend The Caterist for any event.

Liz · Married on 03/28/2015

Cristina and her crew are amazing! Cristina catered our wedding last month and I do not have one complaint! We had food stations instead of a sit down meal and Chef Shawn's food were creative, fun and delicious. It is a month later and I am still get texts, emails and phone calls telling me how great the food was! Cristina will work with your budget, she also helps with day of set up and break down. Cristina is one of the most kind, humble vendors we worked with. My husband and I keep saying if it was not for her our wedding would not have been as great as it was. I did not have one complaint or ounce of anxiety on my wedding day, thanks to her and her crew!

Kim · Married on 08/09/2014

I can not give Cristina and the Caterist enough stars! They are absolutely amazing and the reason our wedding went so smoothly. Cristina is so accommodating and works with you in whatever way she possibly can. Our guests were raving about our food all night. BUT it doesn't stop there, not only does Cristina provide great food her service is impeccable. She helped my mother-in-law set up our candy table, all our other tables, and she even gave me advice on what would look better for table clothes, etc. Then to top off everything else she did she sent us home with little breakfast boxes for the morning. Her attention to deal is like nothing I've ever seen.

Honestly, do yourself a favor and chose the Caterist.

Brandi · Married on 08/02/2014

There are not enough stars on the rating scale to properly rate The Caterist! I need at least 10 more stars. I don't even know where to start, they have helped me in so many ways to pull off a fantastic wedding!!! First I wasn't sure what vendor I was choosing, but they still invited me out to a huge wedding vendor show which helped me find other vendors and meet my main point of contact, Erin, in person and try their amazing s'more bar! Then I showed them a menu and they created it for me and added extra touches to pump it up... Then for my tasting they created a mini sample table of how my wedding would look! I was SOLD we were treated so amazing I couldn't see myself trusting anyone else but The Caterist. Then I had concerns about pricing with rentals and I found something cheaper and they worked with my vendor and even offered me a payment plan because they understood all the stresses of paying all your vendors simultaneously! Freaking amazing and so accommodating! Erin and Cristina from The Caterist were the sweetest people to work with and I just felt absolutely comfortable having them as my "ringleaders" for the entire wedding - AMAZING - COMFORTABLE - TRUSTWORTHY - FANTASTIC - DEPENDABLE - PROFESSIONAL - AFFORDABLE those are the words I think about when I think about The Caterist! Thank you to the Caterist Staff for EVERYTHING!!!

Katie · Married on 05/17/2014

Cristina was a pleasure to work with. She was always professional and was easy to get in touch with whenever we needed to. She definitely knows her stuff and she made sure we had every detail covered, even meeting with us multiple times at the venue to go over everything to ensure she had it right. She went above and beyond for us and we completely appreciate that, from making us a timeline of the day and helping with seating arrangements to being in charge of contacting our other vendors in case they were late. She definitely made the day much easier on both my husband and me. Everything from the appetizers down to the dinner was delicious and fresh. She was able to stick wiithin our budget and people had more than enough to eat. They also made sure the presentation and service was perfect! They have such a variety of foods that its not just your ordinary wedding plates. She had even boxed us up a breakfast snack to have the following day which truly made us feel special. I would recommend the Caterist to any of my friends that will be marrying in the future, they did a wonderful job!

KK · event on: 04/01/2017

The Caterist Chicago has been catering an annual event I've planned for seven years now. Crisitna and her staff are incredibly proffesional. With a variety of menu selectons they only use fresh "real" ingredients which always results with a delishes meal. My event is somewhat difficult to cater because we do not have a kitchen at the venue. Cristina & her staff set up a make-shift kitchen and it works beautifully.

Tina · Married on 10/19/2013

The Caterist saved our wedding! We needed a caterer for our wedding that would fit our budget - not easy to find in Chicago. A wedding planner recommended we call The Caterist. Not only did we get that, but the food was delicious and the service at the wedding was wonderful. The staff at the Caterist really went out of their way to meet our every request (even those inevitable last-minute ones) and make us feel special. Thank you to Cristina and everyone at the Caterist!

Alyce · Married on 06/06/2015

We were married June 6, 2015, and hired The Caterist of Evanston to do a buffet dinner reception for about 70 family members and close friends at the Evanston Ecology Center. We're vegans, and vegan catering in Chicago was not only expensive, some of the menu items were kind of odd. I thought for months about catering the wedding myself, because I'm a good cook with good recipes, but when I looked into what it would actually entail, it quickly became clear I wouldn't be able to rent refrigerated space, that I didn't have enough helpers, and that if anything went wrong it could ruin our big day. I contacted the Caterist and told them my situation, and they began searching for recipes. Hiring a caterer was really intimidating for me, I've run into snooty chefs and was afraid they'd look down their noses at me, but Cristina Gustafson was wonderful, she handled my nervousness with grace and patience. She put together an amazing list of menu choices at a reasonable price. During our tasting (which was elegant and fun), it was hard to make the final choices because everything was so good, I literally couldn't stop eating the Tuscan Panzanella Salad. (The other salad option was a strawberry coconut salad that was amazing, it was really hard to choose.) We went with vegetarian main dishes, salad and sides, and vegan hors d'oeuvres and dessert and coffee/tea. (Wine, beer and soft drinks were supplied by Schaefer's.) The Pesto Spinach Lasagna was so good. The Parmesan Polenta Cakes were fantastic; some guests didn't know what polenta is. One of the hors d'oeuvres was disappointing, the Samosa Sope, and many hors d'oeuvres were left over, possibly because they were labeled as vegan, a word that I've noticed puts people off even though they eat vegan dishes all the time without thinking about it. But it's also possible that our mostly health-conscious guests were watching calories. The dessert, Salted Caramel Cheesecake Bites, tasted good but didn't stand up to the heat.