The Brookwood Community Reviews

69 | Brookshire, TX

69 Reviews for The Brookwood Community

Vivian · Married on 11/20/2010

My daughter had her wedding and reception at The Brookwood Community Chapel and Garden Ballroom and it was TOTALLY AMAZING. That night FAR exceeded our expectations and I am still receiving notes from our friends that it was the "BEST wedding they have ever attended". "THE FOUR SEASONS on STEROIDS" was what one friend said and I have to agree. My daughter decided on a formal wedding and elegant reception however, in the process of planning, the staff had some great ideas about a more casual affair with a "TEXAS" theme. The red carpet that was used as they left for the night, lighted with lanterns and candles, was one of the most memorable parts of the evening. She wanted an avocado bar with "all the frills" and they accommodated that (even when avocados weren't in season). We had a dessert bar with "tasters" on individual spoons filled with all the unbelievable desserts that are served at Brookwood. It was a 10 star wedding with a 4 star price tag....and our money was used to help support this wonderful Community for adults with special needs. A truly unique experience with an "over the top" menu with the most incredible staff that you would ever want to work with. It was a "black tie" affair with passed appetizers on silver trays (included in the price of dinner). I can only imagine how awesome a garden wedding would be. We did not have to spend hardly anything on flowers because Brookwood has so many blooming plants that it set the stage for and "affair to remember". They had candles in the garden lighting the paths and outlining the waterfall. Go see Brookwood....you will be inspired on many levels. We had our wedding favors custom made by the citizens of Brookwood. That was one of the most amazing parts...they made custom crosses for us to give our guests. We also made a donation to the Community and had a sign at the sign in table that said "The Elliott Family has made a donation in your honor to the Brookwood Community". I have received several comments saying how meaningful that was. I could go on and on....just check it out!

Sent on 06/08/2011

Ashley · Married on 11/20/2010

I attended a wedding at Brookwood last November and I am still talking about it with my friends!! It was one of the most AMAZING weddings I have ever been to!! The atmosphere was great, the food was wonderful, and the place was just beautiful. My friend that was married there talked about how easy the Brookwood staff was to work with and helped to accommodate her every wish! It was definitely a night to remember!

Sent on 06/29/2011

Mylea · Married on 11/13/2010

My husband and I were blessed to have our wedding at The Brookwood Community on November 13, 2010! We cannot say enough about the wonderful people we worked with and the absolutely beautiful venue. I didn't worry at all on the day of my wedding because there were so many people attending to every detail. The Chapel has gorgeous stained glass throughout that provides an intimate feeling. The atmosphere at the Garden Ballroom was elegant while the food and service exceeded all expectations. I still have people commenting about how beautiful the overall wedding was and I have Brookwood to thank!

The ultimate decision maker for us choosing to have our wedding at Brookwood was the purpose behind Brookwood- to provide functionally disabled adults a place to lead productive lives. It's a great feeling knowing that we helped contribute to this :-)

Mylea & Noah Johnson

Sent on 06/02/2011

Melanie · Married on 08/30/2014

Brookwood is a wonderful place for a wedding ceremony and reception. The Chapel is absolutely beautiful and needs very little added decor. It was very important to my daughter and son-in-law to have the ceremony performed in a church setting, and Brookwood definitely met that requirement. The Cafe is delightful, the food wonderful and Chef Laura will provide multiple options to choose from. During our selection process, we had lunch at the cafe and Jerri, the Brookwood wedding coordinator, made sure we selected several different entrees so that we could sample a variety of selections. They were all WONDERFUL, including the dessert. Jerri joined us and walked us through the entire planning process and options Brookwood offered. We were surprised when we went to pay our bill that the account was already settled. That kind of personal service and kindness won our business. The added benefit of knowing that all proceeds benefits the special needs adults who live on site was the special touch sealed the deal for us! In addition to suggesting several vendors who are familiar with Brookwood, Jerri coordinated the arrival and set-up with all of our vendors. The ceremony was absolutely beautiful, the dinner reception was spectacular and our 160 guests raved about the delicious food and beverages. Brookwood was the perfect venue for the wedding and we are still receiving comments and congratulations from our guests saying it was the best wedding they've ever attended. Thanks to Brookwood for making the event "perfect." Brookwood was the perfect venue for our wedding and reception.

Sent on 09/14/2014

This is a great venue, a lovely place filled with wonderful people. The service and food were fantastic and we received many comments from our guests about it being the best wedding food they had ever had. We felt that they cared about us and our event, and not that we were just another event for profit, like at some other venues we visited. We could (as many of our guests also commented) feel the love there. Every little detail was handled so well. Also felt good that profits go to support a faith-centered, and very meaningful cause.

Sent on 12/07/2013

Theresa · Married on 04/21/2012

I can't speak highly enough of the Brookwood Community as a vendor for our daughter's April, 2012 wedding. The chapel is lovely and perfectly suited to pretty much any size wedding. We had about 150 guests and even though we didn't come close to filling the chapel seating, we didn't feel like we were 'rattling around.' The arrangement of the pews lends and intimacy to the setting that was very nice.

The two wedding coordinators that Kari and I worked with were excellent. Our initial meeting was with Elise Ashey who did an excellent job of presenting our options and explaining about what to expect with regard to weddings at Brookwood. Later we were privileged to work with Jerri Sadowski who, at that time was relatively new in the position. You would never have known it however, with her attention to detail and her commitment to seeing that we had the best event possible.

With some humor, I noted that some of the younger folks in the wedding party were a little taken aback at what they called her 'drill sargent' approach to making sure that things ran smoothly. That said, some of those same young people sought me out to tell me how smoothly things ran from the beginning of the ceremony to the end of the reception. I can tell you, that as the mother of the bride, I appreciated her willingness to go the extra mile to make sure our ceremony and reception went off without a hitch.

Would I recommend Brookwood for a major event? Absolutely. It is a beautiful facility, the staff and service is top notch, and value for the dollar is excellent. I checked several other venues both online and in person, and I felt like we got a heck of a bargain at Brookwood.

Sent on 11/12/2013

Melissa · Married on 03/10/2012

I just want to say that my wedding looked ten times more expensive than it really was, thanks to everyone at Brookwood! They were extremely accommodating and easy to work with. The place is SO beautiful and the chapel is every girls dream, with a red carpet going down the aisle! Before seeing Brookwood, i had never wanted to get married in a chapel, but the first time i walked in, i was speechless. Then the food was amazing! Honestly, everyone at my wedding told me they had never been to a wedding like mine and my mom said after my husband and i left everyone wanted to stay because the reception hall was so beautiful and comfortable. It's definitely worth looking at! You'd also be helping out everyone who lives there which is a major bonus!

Sent on 03/27/2012

Laura · Married on 07/02/2011

We were married about a month ago at the gorgeous Brookwood worship center and celebrated at their reception facilities just down the road. Trust me when I say that you CANNOT go wrong. The entire staff WILL take care of you, especially Mrs. Elise Ashey, the wedding coordinator. In addition, their cause (providing homes and careers for adults with special needs and giving them a sense of pride) makes it a whole lot easier to put all your savings toward one day! My overall expenses at Brookwood for the wedding and reception were around 8K, not including all of the things I purchased myself (cake, decorations, linens, etc) for about 120 guests. They can accommodate many more guests as well!

PLANNING: Incredibly flexible with all aspects; Elise makes sure to ask you about everything that you have not specified to ensure a truly perfect day. There was not one detail that was executed wrong! The only difficult part may be getting the date and time that you want. Their first priority is serving the residents, so holidays and Sundays during their regular church service are usually not possible, as well as during the time when their cafe is open for business (a main source of income for the residents). You gotta respect that! Being flexible on your end, however, is the way to go if there's a conflict.

WORSHIP CENTER: The most amazingly beautiful sanctuary; please see photos at: http://robmilton.blogspot.com/2011/02/beauty-is-light-in-heart-kahlil-gibran.html . It may be a little pricey depending on how much you spend at the reception, but well worth the money.
    -wonderful acoustics
    -pin on microphone for pastor
    -sound system with hook up for ipod
    -room for live musicians
    -flexible for rehearsal times

-OUTSIDE: very green lawn and beautiful trees, perfect for photos, plenty of parking
    -ENTRANCE: Gorgeous bible verse on the wall, stained glass
    -BRIDAL CHANGING ROOM: not huge, but perfect size for me and 5 bridesmaids, mom, and photographer. LOTS of mirrors!
    -GROOMSMEN'S CHANGING AREA: separate and away from bridal area
    -grand piano (I believe.. maybe it was a baby grand)

RECEPTION:

-FOOD: I had multiple guests come up to me and say, "This is the best wedding food I've EVER had"--no joke, it was delicious. My husband and I were even served food in our seat. Told you they take care of you : ). To make your selections, simply go in for a free tasting with a friend or two and ENJOY!

-LINENS: you have to get these on your own, except the buffet/tea tables.

-CHAIRS: Beautiful mahogany chiavari chairs! no need for covers.
    -TABLES: 60" round

-DANCE FLOOR: portable; optional and I believe you can make it small if you want.

-OUTSIDE: Behind the reception building (the cafe/gift shop), is their plant shop/garden with little lights along the paths to offer guests a peaceful escape.

-RED CARPET: they laid out a red carpet for our departure!

-TABLE SIGNS: they let me borrow some frames for the table names.

FUN FACT: They let you borrow anything and everything that they might have : ). Many guests donate supplies after their weddings, and they just pass them along for future use!

COMPLAINTS: None. Any little detail that I might complain about is a) too hard to remember, and b) definitely not worth complaining about. The staff is reasonable, friendly, flexible, and ready and willing to do anything is terms of planning and executing. As with anyone, do it with a please and thank you, and you should have the most amazing wedding experience you could have hoped for : )

-Mr. and Mrs. Meeks

Sent on 08/01/2011

We had a wonderful wedding at Brookwood! Katie was personable, responsive, and flexible. The chapel was beautiful, especially with the candlelight for an evening ceremony. The cocktail hour space was gorgeous and a big hit with our guests. The reception space fit our 100 guests nicely and had a lovely backdrop of the garden lit up with string lights (an extra package we paid for). Several people told us that the food served, Thai chicken kebabs as a main course, was the best wedding food they had ever had. Brookwood's mission was also a huge highlight of our experience, as our wedding fees helped to support Brookwood Community citizens.

One small note to keep in mind with all wedding vendors is to make sure you're aware of what is in your contract. There was a staff change at Brookwood during our planning process, and because we read our contract carefully, we were able to easily verify all invoices even with the changes happening at Brookwood. Katie was awesome at making sure we got what we were supposed to.

It's a little off the beaten path, but Brookwood is a great venue for both ceremony and reception!

Sent on 06/03/2015

Rebecca · Married on 12/13/2014

Absolutely beautiful chapel! Perfect ceremony location!

Sent on 12/21/2014

Karen · Married on 03/02/2013

Everything was perfect! Elise was very helpful.

Sent on 10/30/2013

Amy · Married on 06/16/2012

Our wedding day at Brookwood was simply a dream come true. The wedding coordinator worked tirelessly to accommodate our special requests and was very organized. She understood our vision for the big day and I felt very comfortable on the wedding day placing all of the logistics into her capable hands. She also provided recommendations for local vendors, which all turned out to be outstanding.

The Brookwood campus is beautiful and perfect for bridal portraits and day-of wedding party shots. The Brookwood staff is incredibly friendly and a pleasure to work with. And the food is delicious!! It's nothing like typical "wedding food" - all of our guests were very pleasantly surprised by the food quality.

I highly recommend considering Brookwood for your wedding and reception venue. You will not be disappointed! Brookwood really strives to make your wedding day a special day - mine was one I will never forget.

Sent on 03/28/2013

Kaydee · Married on 11/22/2014

The staff at Brookwood made our wedding more than I could have ever wished for. Katie was organized and efficient. She would listen to our ideas and run with them to make our night the most memorable ever. Katie helped us to enjoy our wedding by taking the stress off of us and overseeing the vendors. My husband and I, our families, and our friends were treated like royalty by the Brookwood staff. They took care of our every need. There is no place else I would rather have had our wedding!

Sent on 04/07/2015
  • Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 10/19/2013

Brookwood provided the wedding of my dreams. The venue was warm and inviting, the food excellent, the service responsive and the value great for what was included. The wedding coordinator, Jerri was very helpful with suggestions and quick to help with our needs. The serving staff was professional and courteous. They did, however, pick up the charger plates too soon. That was minor but I would have liked the chargers on the table for the entire meal as we rented them.

The chapel is a beautiful place for the service and the campus has huge live oak trees that add to the photos. Just a wonderful place for a wedding.

Sent on 10/23/2013

Lisa · Married on 04/28/2012

The Brookwood team came together and made my wedding a beautiful event. The staff member that i was working with quit and no one bothered to pick up my wedding or contact me with the changes. There were a few rough weeks without hearing from anyone and setting up the last 6 weeks before my wedding. Overall I was happy with the experience.

Sent on 11/07/2012

Trakena · Married on 08/30/2014

3.0

We couldn't have picked a better venue to host our dream wedding than at The Brookwood Community. For my husband and I, having a wedding meant celebrating with our loved ones, of course, but we were very much aware of the cost associated with such an event. Hosting our wedding at a place where we knew the money would go towards a great cause and not just towards lining someone's pockets was a great joy to us. And the fact that the venue was beautiful and the food was magnificent was icing on top of our cake.

Jerri was amazing and made sure that everything was in order. She was a bit late responding to some of my correspondence, but always made sure that everything was done correctly and beautifully. I knew that between Jerri, my mom and my husband that I could relax and that everything would be beautiful.

AND THE FOOD! All of our family loved the appetizers, salad, and the That's Amore chicken that was served. I wish I could package the parmesan risotto and take it to go!

All in all, it was the perfect day, with the perfect food, at the perfect place, with my perfect (for me) groom. You'll definitely want to check out Brookwood for hosting your special day!

Sent on 09/30/2014

3.5

Brookwood is a fantastic place to consider having a wedding. Ours turned out beautifully.

Brookwood boasts flexibility, personal touches, and a heavy emphasis on quality customer service. All these things are true, but the flexibility is harder to come by. It's very obvious that there is a way they they prefer - and if you stray, you're the black sheep.

Overall, great location, great venue.

Sent on 03/28/2014

3.8
      3.5

The chapel was beautiful. Fairly well priced however the buffet food was cold.

Sent on 04/22/2014

1.0

If I could give less than a star on some of these I would. If you want to kick your shoes off and have a good time both literally and figuratively, this isn't the venue for you. The lack of organization is astounding. We didn't even know what time we had to be at the wedding until the rehearsal and I was in the wedding. The coordinator Katie had no clue and had little to no communication with the rest of the vendors ie photographer and DJ in terms of timing and event detail (the photographer almost missed the cake cutting because she never told them when it was happening!). The exit was poorly timed and horribly planned and my mother, the mother of the bride mind you, was asked to put her shoes back on after she took them off to be more comfortable dancing. I could go on and on but suffice to say they need to step up their game and find a more professional staff.

Sent on 04/13/2015