Sweetwater Portraits Reviews

Sweetwater Portraits 6
Sweetwater Portraits 7

Susan Oman · Married on 12/29/2018

Outstanding

We cannot recommend Sweetwater Portraits enough! From the start, we knew we chose the perfect photographer. During our engagement photos, we were immediately grateful for Julie’s calm energy and attention to detail. So, we couldn’t wait to have both Julie and Dutch for the wedding day! Not only did Julie and Dutch produce beautiful photos, but they both were so wonderful to work with. They made our bridal party and us feel so at ease the day of the wedding, and were unfazed by the 9 flower girls and ring bearers under the age of 9! Aside from their amazing energy the day of, they were able to capture every moment perfectly! Julie and Dutch are true professionals, and there is no doubt, Sweetwater Portraits is the best of the best.

Sent on 03/08/2019
  • Alexandra

Alexandra · Married on 10/19/2018

Worth every photo.

Julie and Dutch honestly may have been one of our favorite parts of wedding planning.

We had that “instant friends” chemistry at our friends wedding and we knew they had to be on our team!
    They allowed us to feel comfortable and at ease with our day of plans so we could enjoy every moment of our big day. More so, they easily became a part of the family and we could feel that they genuinely enjoyed taking our photos and shared the joy that we had that day.

Icing on the cake of course is the magic that results any time either one of them has a camera in hand.

Best decision ever.

Sent on 08/09/2019

Anthony · Married on 09/22/2018

Julie and Dutch are the absolute best!!! Don’t even consider another photographer. Not only are they excellent photographers (really they are artists!) but they are amazing people, who we would want to hang out with anytime!

They have a great eye for shots, they don’t miss a moment, and they make you feel natural and comfortable the whole time.

The Super 8 video they make is so cool and unique.

You will never be disappointed with Julie and Dutch. They are the best!

Sent on 10/10/2018

Simran · Married on 08/26/2017

We feel so fortunate that Sweetwater photographed our engagement session and wedding. Choosing your wedding photographer is one of the most important wedding-related decisions one can make. The wedding day itself goes by so fast, but the photos really do last forever and help keep the memories of the day alive. We were especially drawn to Julie and Dutch's style of photography. None of their photos are too staged or unnatural. They are candid and truly reflect the subjects of the photos. And that's exactly how we feel about our wedding photos. They are literally perfect. I love looking at them and am so impressed with the quality of their work. Julie and Dutch were also wonderful to work with. You spend a lot of time with your photographer on your wedding day, so you want to make sure that you choose someone you like! They are just really nice people and so easy to be around. Our wedding party and families also commented on how impressed they were with them. We can't recommend them highly enough!

Sent on 10/19/2017

Alexis · Married on 07/01/2017

When I started to look for a photographer, I knew that I didn't want anyone typical or the usual "wedding look". I wanted someone who took candid, genuine shots and really captured emotion and thats exactly what I found with Sweetwater! I just received all of my engagement session photos back and they are AMAZING! Julie is so wonderful to work with and I can't wait for my wedding with them!

Sent on 06/22/2016
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 10/29/2016

I first met Julie when I had been a bridesmaid at my now Maid of Honor's wedding at the Union League back in 2014. I absolutely loved Julie's sweet and calming demeanor, and the photographs from my best friend's wedding were stunning. When Julie and Dutch were available for my recent October wedding, I was ecstatic and knew right away that they would do an amazing job. They didn't disappoint! Both Julie and Dutch worked so well with all members of our wedding party and guests, and our photo gallery is absolutely phenomenal. We've been receiving so many compliments on the sweet moments captured and the quality of the pictures. They are truly masters of their craft and love their work -- it's reflected in the end-product. We absolutely loved working with them and couldn't provide a higher recommendation.

Sent on 12/28/2016

Morgan · Married on 09/10/2016

We used one of Sweetwater's associate photographers, Tiffany, for our September 2016 wedding (this review is long overdue!), and we were very pleased with the experience! I spent a lot of time researching photographers and knew Sweetwater's photos would be nice, so what I really want to review is the above and beyond service that I received from Julie specifically. I was very picky about a lot of aspects of the wedding, and a lot of those aspects involved the photographers, and Julie listened to me patiently, made sure we were on the same page about a detailed plan, and she didn't make me feel crazy, even though I think I was a little bit crazy :) Even after the wedding, I still had more questions for Julie, and she took the time to answer everything. When my husband and I sent our thank you notes, we used 4 photos from the wedding for the card, and based on the thank you note, friends of ours who were engaged hired Sweetwater, too. Julie sent us a handwritten thank you note for the referral, and I mention that for two reasons, one, because the photos spoke for themselves, and two, just to underscore how professional, responsive, and committed Julie was before AND after our wedding. I highly recommend Julie and Sweetwater Portraits!!

Sent on 07/24/2018
    Sweetwater Portraits 15
    Sweetwater Portraits 16
    Sweetwater Portraits 17

Emily · Married on 08/20/2016

When I set out to find a photographer for my engagement photos and discovered Julie and Dutch's site, I was drawn to their work because none of the photos looked posed or unnatural; they exuded so much life and energy that I could almost imagine the sounds and conversations surrounding the moments they'd captured. I’m thrilled to say that I feel the same when looking through the photo gallery created for my fiancé and me—my fiancé, Ty, was especially happy about the nod-to-Wes-Anderson doorway shots! We truly love our photos and have already ordered several prints! Many thanks to Julie and Dutch for their wonderful work!

Sent on 06/21/2016

Jeri · Married on 07/16/2016

Julie and Dutch are the absolute best!! It's hard to put into words how much we enjoyed working with them for our wedding. Not only are they the best photographers, they are also the sweetest and nicest people. From the very first time we met Julie and Dutch we knew we wanted to work with them on our wedding day. They invited us into their home and showed us their wonderful work. They always responded to our questions quickly and made us feel so comfortable from the very beginning. We were looking for photographers that would capture the emotions of the day, and Julie and Dutch did this so perfectly. We are absolutely obsessed with every one of our pictures from our wedding day. Julie and Dutch went above and beyond to make our day the best and to capture the moments that were most important to us. Throughout the planning process they truly listened to what we were looking for. When we got the pictures back they took our breath away! We've looked at our pictures so many times and each time we find something new that we love about each of them. Julie and Dutch are amazing to work with leading up to the wedding and they helped make our wedding day so special! During the planning, they gave great suggestions that were so helpful to us. They are experts at what they do! Julie even did a site visit to our venue with us since they hadn't been there before for a wedding. This attention to detail and commitment to getting the absolute best pictures was just one example of Julie and Dutch going above and beyond! Julie also helped us create a wedding timeline that was extremely beneficial to us and our planning! We were so impressed with Julie and Dutch from day one and their willingness to go that extra mile was greatly appreciated. Every picture captured a moment of our wedding day, and it's almost like we are back in that moment each time we look at them! We couldn't be happier and we are forever thankful to Julie and Dutch for these incredible photographs!!!

Sent on 09/13/2016

Kate · Married on 06/04/2016

Julie and Dutch are phenomenal! They are masters of their craft. We felt so at-ease with them from the moment we first met them. We had a great time during our Engagement Shoot as well, during which they kept us laughing and totally comfortable. The shots turned out great.

On the day of the wedding, they were absolutely perfect. They hung out with us while we were getting ready, taking beautiful pictures, while getting to know the bridal party and our family. These relationships they built made everyone comfortable throughout, so that they could put together a fantastic collection of photos. During the ceremony and reception, we barely even noticed they were there, and yet they captured every candid moment.

They’re incredibly talented photographers, and we cannot recommend them highly enough.

Sent on 09/18/2016

Kathryn · Married on 11/14/2015

Sweetwater Portraits was AMAZING!!! It's difficult to adequately put into words how much we truly enjoyed working with them. Julie and Dutch are professional, inviting, and immensely talented. We looked at three other photographers, but from the moment we met with Julie and Dutch they made us feel at-ease and we knew they were the only people we wanted capturing our wedding. During the planning we really appreciated that they listened to what we wanted, made suggestions, and helped us create a schedule that allowed us to get great photographs while also enjoying ourselves. We decided to do an engagement shoot, wedding photography, and Super8 with Sweetwater. The day of our wedding they were fantastic, being there for every moment without really being seen. They made an effort to get to know the family and bridal party, making us feel like they were old friends enjoying every moment of the day with us. The photos are gorgeous and the video brings us to tears every time we watch it. Sweetwater couldn't capture the love, emotion, excitement, and fun of that day any better. We are so fortunate to be able to have the photos and video to remember our wedding day for years to come, and feel so lucky to have found Julie and Dutch and experience their wonderful talent.

Sent on 10/17/2016

Rosemary · Married on 10/03/2015

In a word, AWESOME. The pictures turned out beautifully- we couldn't have asked for anything better. Julie and Dutch captured every moment with grace, style and ease. They are true professionals, who will go above and beyond to make your wedding pictures perfect, literally. Hiring a photographer, in my opinion, is one of the most important decisions of the day because they're with you from start to finish. You want someone who won't intrude on those special moments between you and your partner (like the first look), but who can capture them at the same time. It's a delicate balancing act that Julie and Dutch have mastered. They were THE calming presence during those hectic hours leading up to the ceremony and reception. Beyond the wedding day, the process of actually reviewing/choosing the photos and receiving the albums couldn't have been easier. You will be in very good hands with Julie and Dutch- and chances are they'll probably become your friends! That's just the kind of people they are.

Sent on 09/13/2016

Our daughter and son-in-law (R&M) chose Julie and Dutch of Sweetwater (J&D) as they were paying for their wedding photography, so we didn't meet them until the wedding. We used Front & Palmer's vendor list for all of our vendors, a very wise choice. We had total confidence in R&M's choice, especially after R&M's first meeting and how excited they were to work with them (J&D). The engagement pix were perfect and beautiful, and my husband and I were so excited to meet J&D at the wedding. They brought Matt with them and he was terrific too. Not only were they warm, engaging, and attentive: they took the BEST pix! Now we have the task of choosing the best ones for our album, no easy job because there are so many great ones! Thanks guys for everything. Can't wait to see the super-8 video Dutch is producing! I sell wedding invitations, and as a wedding vendor I will be recommending Sweetwater to everyone who inquires!

Sent on 05/22/2016

Lauren · Married on 06/27/2015

From the first day we met with Julie and Dutch, we knew they were the ones we wanted by our side on our wedding day. They made us feel comfortable right from the start with the ease of conversation and how they described their style of photography. Their love of what they do was clear, along with how much they care about the couples they work with. They really took the time to get to know us, so when the big day came-- we felt like we were spending it with friends we had known for quite some time. They captured every moment in a natural and organic way. Their sweet nature made us feel comfortable and at ease-- even when it started storming on our wedding day. Julie described to me how beautiful the indoor location would be and she was absolutely right. When we received our photo gallery, we were so happy with all the emotions and moments they captured that day. I realized that it didn't matter that we weren't in the vineyard on a sunny day because they captured the genuine feelings of love we have for each other. Had we picked another photographer who only relies on a great backdrop for pictures, we surely would have been disappointed. What these two do is not just photography, it's art. We are so thankful to have had Julie and Dutch as part of our wedding day!

Sent on 08/11/2015

Lindsay · Married on 04/18/2015

I would recommend Sweetwater Portraits to any bride and groom. Julie and Dutch are such a blast to work with. They are a brilliant husband and wife team that truly know their art. Individually they bring their unique photography talents to the table but together they create masterpieces. Not only are they talented, but they are the sweetest people to work with. You go to their lovely home in South Philadelphia where they make you feel so warm and welcome for your consultation and meetings. They are not afraid to give their opinion if you ask them for honest feedback. Our friends, family and complete strangers are still continuing to stop us, 3 months after our wedding day, telling us that our photos look like they are right out of a bridal magazine. They are so talented! I plan on working with Julie and Dutch again for any future event we have! Thank you both for making our day so unforgettable and giving us the gift of relieving it whenever we look at our beautiful photos.

Sent on 07/19/2015

Lauren · Married on 12/20/2014

You can't get any better than Sweetwater Portraits. Julie and Dutch really make your day special. They took the time to get to know a little about my husband and I which reflected in our perfect photos! Love love love!

Sent on 01/13/2016

I found Julie and Dutch of Sweetwater Portraits by accident, searching for photos of the wedding venue my (now) husband and I had just booked. Their photos were beautiful, natural, and seemed to really reflect the distinct personalities of the bride and groom -- I was immediately captivated and thrilled when I learned they still had our date available. After we met Julie and Dutch in person, I figured out how they are able to consistently produce such high-quality work: they took the time to get know us as people.

Working with Julie and Dutch on our wedding day was one of the best decisions we made in the entire wedding planning process. They helped us come up with a shooting schedule that minimized stress and maximized the time we could spend with each other, showed incredible poise and expertise managing our enormous bridal party for group shoots and keeping us on schedule with the family portraits (no easy feat since we have huge families), and may actually be wizards because they basically appeared out of thin air when our maid of honor speech somehow happened too early, making sure they didn't that miss that special moment. Most importantly, we felt comfortable and at ease around them, and our photos reflect that. It took me months to decide which I wanted to frame, and even longer to make selections for our album, because there were simply so many photos that I absolutely loved. I can't recommend Julie and Dutch at Sweetwater Portraits enough, and I'm so grateful that we have these incredible images to commemorate the best day of our lives.

Sent on 11/11/2015

Julie and Dutch are the absolute best! Aside from being total professionals, they are both incredibly nice, laid back, and easy to be around, which are important qualities to find in a wedding photographer. They are unbelievably talented, which is obvious when you see their work. They both had a soft, easy way of giving direction, which in turn, created the most natural, beautiful photos… more beautiful than we could have ever hoped for. I truly cannot say enough great things about Julie and Dutch. We were so lucky to have them shoot our wedding, and would choose them all over again if given the opportunity!

Sent on 05/26/2015

My husband and I hired Julie and Dutch of Sweetwater Portraits for our wedding photographers and it was one of the best decisions we made throughout the planning process. I found their work online and was immediately enamored with their photography. It was some of the most beautiful wedding photography I had seen and we knew we had to meet with them. When we met with them, we were immediately at ease - having a cold drink on their roofdeck overlooking the Philly skyline - doesn't get much better. The next day, we met with a different photographer and left the meeting and immediately emailed and booked Julie and Dutch. We came to the realization that our photographer would be with us ALL day during the wedding and we would want someone that we liked to be around. Julie and Dutch were great to work with - fit right in with our family and friends and made us feel completely at ease having our picture taken a million times. They were extremely easy going - despite the fact that it was unusually hot and humid for September and despite the fact that my now father-in-law ran over a bag of camera lenses with his car prior to the wedding (!). My husband is not the most photogenic, but they were able to make it work and got so many great pictures of us. We have recently gotten all of our photographs and we are completely overwhelmed with how great they turned out. Everyone we show them to is so taken aback by how beautiful they look. We have no idea how we will narrow them down for our album and certainly not for choosing which to frame. Certainly a good problem to have. Julie and Dutch are seriously talented and a ton of fun to work with. You are making a mistake if you do not hire them for your wedding/engagement photos/baby photos or anything else. I (almost) cannot wait to have children so we can have Julie photograph them!

Sent on 10/16/2014

Rachel · Married on 08/23/2014

Julie and Dutch at Sweetwater Portraits were absolutely unbelievable to work with, leading up to the wedding and on the big day. Leading up to our wedding, Julie was available and quick to answer any questions that I had. On the day of our wedding, a lot of details were changed due to the weather. Even with all of the changes, they handled everything with ease and were able to capture the most amazing shots that truly represented the emotion of the day. They are so natural at what they do and their photos and super8 video speak for themselves. I would recommended their photography and super8 services to anyone looking to work with professional, flexible, down to earth, talented and creative people! I can't say enough about how lovely they are and we are over the moon about our photos and super8.

Sent on 11/07/2014

Nicole · Married on 05/31/2014

We can't recommend Julie and Dutch enough! They photographed our wedding this past May, and were such a pleasure to work with! They are lovely, easygoing people who really put you at ease from the moment you meet them. We were nervous about being photographed and looking awkward, but they really make you feel comfortable. I would also suggest booking an engagement shoot with Julie as well, we felt like it helped us get to know her a little better, making us feel even more comfortable on the actual day. (and the pictures were awesome!)

They are accessible and reliable, always answered our questions promptly. They're also organized--which was great as they helped us plan a timeline of the day.
    They captured all of the important moments of our day, and hundreds more, but did a great job blending in with the guests--not obtrusive in any way. Also, our bridal party loved hanging out with them (which I think says it all--spending hours getting photographed can be tiresome). Our proofbook arrived 4 weeks after the wedding and the pictures are BEAUTIFUL! We have received so many compliments on the photos so far, they are extremely talented.
    You absolutely can't go wrong booking Sweetwater Portraits, Julie and Dutch are incredible!

Sent on 08/24/2014

Alexa · Married on 04/26/2014

It was an absolute pleasure working with Julie and Dutch for our wedding on 4/26/14 at the Phoenixville Foundry. These two are just the best that is out there and I cannot recommend them enough. Their work is unbelievable - they have an incredibly artistic eye, but also have a wonderful way of capturing emotion with their photographs. Not only did they make us look amazing, but they got tons of photos of our friends and family having fun on our wedding day, which was exactly what we wanted. And they were fast in getting our photos to us! The photos are so great that we would have been happy to have waited longer for them, but we were glad to receive them as soon as we did. The other thing about Julie and Dutch is that they are just really nice, easygoing people. Several family members commented on this after the wedding, and it really made a difference to have photographers who made us feel comfortable and who we wanted to be around us on our wedding day. We had a wonderful experience with them and hope that our friends book them for their weddings so we will get to work with them again :)

Sent on 06/19/2014

Ellen · Married on 02/01/2014

Julie and Dutch of Sweetwater were incredible to work with. We met with Julie initially. I was really nervous about the idea of having a formal photographer. I'm a mature bride who was not doing a traditional white gown, etc. She put me at ease completely. My photos are amazing - with colors popping and some of the most fun candid shots I've ever seen. She made me and my husband look great!

Sent on 03/10/2014

Christine · Married on 09/28/2013

Working with Sweetwater Portraits was the best decision we made for our wedding! Julie and Dutch were so easy to work with and every photo was beautiful. My husband hates having his picture taken and he even commented on how much fun he had during our session. Dutch was an absolute champ as he entertained our little ring bearer who was reluctant to smile during our portraits. Julie and Dutch have an amazing eye for lighting and setting. They knew exactly where to place us for the perfect backdrop. Our pictures are so artistic and they really captured the moments. We will cherish these photos for the rest of our lives and we would highly recommend Sweetwater Portraits.

Sent on 01/26/2014

Liz · Married on 06/08/2013

My husband and I cannot say enough about Julie and Dutch. Amazing people with amazing talent! I met Julie before I was even dating my husband and knew that if I was ever to walk down the aisle, I would have to have Sweetwater Portraits there to capture it all. They were the first vendor we booked and we couldn't have been more thrilled with our engagement and wedding photos.

Sent on 09/08/2013