Sweetwater Cuisine Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2012 Winner
  • Cayleen
    Cayleen Married on 04/17/2021

The BEST wedding food

OMG. Our family and friends cannot stop talking about the delicious food Sweetwater made for our wedding. We didn’t want a traditional menu and Jodi and AJ helped us create an epic menu that reflected our personality. I’m still thinking about the tuna tacos, beef tenderloin, and Mac and cheese bar 🥰 We will definitely be ordering our wedding menu on our one year anniversary.
  • Ashley
    Ashley F. Married on 02/02/2019

Amazing!

One of the best decisions that we made was to choose Sweetwater Cuisine as our wedding caterer! We knew the second that we tasted their food during restaurant week that this was the perfect fit for us. They went above and beyond from the minute we first met with them. They helped with developing our timeline, choosing colors and themes, and planning our layout. They made a custom plated tapas menu for our special day that included all of our favorites. The food was out of this world and our guests are still raving about how delicious everything was. Sweetwater made sure to have separate plated options for all of our vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free guests as well. I really cannot say enough good things about Sweetwater Cuisine and know that you will love them as much as we did. Make sure that you try their famous bread pudding!
    Carolyn Married on 09/22/2018
    This company is much more than a caterer or restaurant! We used them to cater our wedding. During the planning process, we had a vendor with which we had some minor disagreements about vision. We felt boxed in until Sweetwater stepped in and happily helped us execute in so many ways. I first met Jodi and Alyssa when we visited them for a tasting (my wife had been talking with them for months at this point); both of them were detail-oriented, had a wealth of experience, and were willing to work with our vision, add to it, and execute it. It felt like the Sweetwater staff took up our cause – they offered us their rentals, which were of higher quality and had more character than the typical wedding rentals. It felt as if Jodi and crew were personally invested in the success of our event – and that is worth its weight in gold. When it came to the day of, my wife and I had no idea of the additional things they were going to do for us. Sweetwater made a gorgeous display for our cocktail hour, they chose beautiful colors for our linens, and upgraded glassware and plates for us based on their inventory availability. They executed the catering with precision – including finding my wife and me during pictures and delivering some food directly to us, to make sure we had something to eat before mixing it up with all of our guests. In short, if you’re reading this and want a touch of the South in your event, you have to call Sweetwater. Oh yeah, and we have gotten dozens of rave reviews about the southern honey pecan fried chicken since the wedding; people LOVED the food and presentation
    Charles Married on 03/31/2018
    This is the caterer you will want for all of your special events in Virginia Beach. A very nice venue, lots of room for dinner and dancing as well as a very comfortable environment. After we met and discussed use of the venue, price and a plan for out fantastic cocktail hour, dinner menu and special request for the best key lime pie in Virginia Beach, we were set. The venue was opened up early to allow our wedding planners to setup all of our personal décor as well as any final touches on the arrangements. This is a very accommodating venue/ caterer, very personable and pleasant to work with. If you are looking for a terrific venue to hold any kind of special event and want to truly enjoy every aspect of it, this is your place. The food and ambiance were fantastic. Highly recommended!
    Alyssa Married on 01/21/2018
    Sweetwater catered my wedding in January and everything was perfect! Their new venue space was so beautiful and helped create the perfect place for my cocktail style wedding reception. The food was beyond fantastic and we enjoyed every minute of working with them. If you are looking to create a unique menu and experience, Sweetwater is the best place for it!
    Steve Married on 08/12/2017
    The food was simply amazing. Jodi was there from the beginning to help Emily and I select the food for our wedding. Our guests kept talking about how good the food was and that they left stuffed. Thank you again for your amazing food and staff!
    Danielle Married on 09/17/2016
    We LOVED sweetwater! The food was amazing and the staff was so accommodating and sweet! We could not be happier that we chose them! And when I say the staff was sweet, that is an understatement! They went above and beyond to help make our night memorable from taking Polaroid pictures to cleaning up messes that weren't even from them! We can not say enough good things about this business and their delicious food!
    Michelle Married on 06/16/2016
    Sweetwater is amazing! We love the food. It really is the best for weddings because it doesn't taste like bland wedding food. Their fried oysters were amazing. My husband doesn't usually like oysters but loves theirs. The meat was perfect, not over cooked from being on the buffet. Everyone kept raving on how good the food was. We were so happy to hear that because Sweetwater is our favorite restaurant in Hampton Roads. Even locals who have lived here all their lives haven't heard of them but loved their food. Asking when they were open because they wanted to go there and eat. That made us feel good and extremely happy we went with them. Kendall really put everything together nicely and the catering staff was excellent. They really took care of the bride and groom making sure we had water and food in the craziness of everything. Which we really appreciated.
    Alexa Married on 06/04/2016
    We had a Sunday Morning Brunch wedding! Sweetwater not only proposed us a great menu, but the food was to die for! Our guests could not get enough of the food! We could not have asked for better catering. If you're looking for good southern food I would highly suggest going with Sweetwater.
  • User2312174 2+ years ago
    We have met with Sweetwater Cuisine on several occasions to discuss our reception menu. Amie was so understanding and accomodating as we kept changing our menu vision. We finally decided on a menu, and are so happy with the yumminess of the food...we signed a contract as we were so comfortable with their food and services. Amie offered suggestions and will be helping us with our final decisions once we are closer to our special date.
    Veronica Married on 12/13/2015
    There was a major mixup with our initial quote. Given our timy wedding and tiny budget, they worked with us and made it happen. It was perfect! We had a brunch buffet. I couldn't be happier with how it all came together!!
  • User2427490 2+ years ago
    Great vendor. I fell in love with them after the tasting! We did not do a sit down meal, but the buffet and butlered hors d'ouvres were wonderful. The staff was so friendly and helpful. They helped us customize a menu and rentals.
    Rachel Married on 08/29/2015
    We spent many a days figuring out catering for our wedding and Sweetwater beat everyone in quality of service and quality of food for sure. They were extremely flexible with our pricing and payments which was the number one reason we picked this company but truly now that my wedding is over I wouldn't recommend any other caterer over this company. Their table side service was exceptional and more than a few of my wedding guests made great comments as soon as they heard I chose this food. People know the food Sweetwater produces and there's a reason they have such a good reputation.
  • User2102341 2+ years ago
    Sweetwater Cuisine did a phenomenal job with the food for our wedding. Jodi and her team spent a lot of time with us in designing our menu and selecting our rentals, including linens and chairs. Her staff was very professional and friendly. The finished result was fantastic. The food was amazing and was presented beautifully.
  • W
    Whitney Married on 10/18/2014
    Words are not enough to describe just how amazing the food prepared by Sweetwater was at my wedding reception. EVERYTHING was absolutely delicious, people are still telling my husband, me, and our families that it was the best food they’ve ever had at a wedding.

I knew from our first meeting with Jodi that there was no doubt Sweetwater would be our caterer. Jodi really took the time to talk to my husband and I about the food we liked and wanted to serve, so she made our menu very personalized that included several sriracha flavored offerings and a few vegan selections. We opted for butlered hors d’ourves and food stations. Jodi also procured all of the tables, chairs, and tablecloths that were used at the reception.

Our butlered hors d’ourves included crabcakes, shrimp & grits shots, zucchini pistachio & tomato bites, and steak & potato macadamia skewers. Our food stations ranged from bbq sliders, a mac ‘n’ cheese bar with various toppings, a biscuit bar (with various types of biscuits & local jams), chicken pot pie with sweet potato crust, seared scallops (that were made to order), lamb lolli-pops, sriracha glazed meatballs, and cauliflower steaks. For dessert, Jodi was able to source macarons, miniature pies (pumpkin, pecan, and mixed berry cobbler), cake pops, and bonbons with edible glitter! And if that wasn’t enough, Jodi prepared warm chocolate chip cookies served atop shot glasses of milk and mini hot-dogs for late night snacks. We were able to try several of the dishes we selected prior to the wedding, and there was no doubt we had made the right choice.

Jodi and her team were absolute professionals, I didn’t have to worry about a thing during the reception. Jodi was easy to work with, took the time to listen to what we wanted, and made sure we got to eat at our own reception by preparing plates to eat in a private room. Sweetwater did an outstanding job helping to make our reception a memorable one!
    Giuliana Married on 09/20/2014
    The services were great, the food was delicious, everything was awesome! I would definitely recommend this place for catering to anyone who could use their services. Everyone was extremely helpful and I am so thankful to have had them for our reception.
    Casey Married on 07/27/2014
    Sweetwater catered my wedding at Moca in Virginia Beach this past weekend and everything was amazing! The staff was hands down the most attentive and professional people I could have ever asked for! From the beginning Jodi was amazing, she was quick to respond to questions, met with us and helped us with our menu! The tasting was wonderful, it really helps to see what other people are thinking about and its nice to taste other options that are available! Our wedding day went off without any issues! Maria and her team were really easy to work with! Annie kept our plates full and our drinks cold the entire night, the bartenders were great and really every single staff member was so polite and extremely helpful! The FOOD was amazing! We had guests go up multiple times to our stations! The pecan chicken and gourmet mash potatoes were the biggest talk of the night! Seriously delicious!!! Couldn't have asked for anything better! If you LOVE southern style food like we do, I would highly recommend Sweetwater!
    Katelyn Married on 07/19/2014
    Sweetwater was fantastic! The food was without a doubt delicious, the service was impeccable, and their personal touches were uniquely creative and classic. Maria helped with our wedding and she took such great care of us. She is passionate about her company and makes a point to get all the details just right for you and your event. She even took the time to play dress up with a bridesmaid and I- we dressed up table settings and linens a dozen times in one afternoon so that I could see the different chair + linnen + china combinations. Maria did this at no additional cost... that spoke very highly of the level of dedication and customer care that they provide.
    On the day of our wedding... there was a server who periodically checked to see that my husband and I had enough to eat and if we needed anything. Sweetwater sent us home with a tray of food and a few slices of cake and managed to get it to our limo so we didn't have to worry about a thing. Sweetwater takes great care of their clients and I would strongly recommend their services for events of any size.
    Kristin Married on 07/12/2014
    Sweetwater Cuisine was the perfect venue for my daughter's reception. The staff's attention to detail from the first planning session through the final cleanup was amazing. The food, displays, and service exceeded our expectations. Thanks to Jodi and her talented team, it was a truly memorable evening.
    Carla Married on 06/14/2014
    Jodi and her team catered weddings for both of my daughters. Not only was the food WONDERFUL but the artistry and creativity Sweetwater brought to our event was exceptional! Every detail was a creative extension of each daughter's vision. I would highly recommend Sweetwater for any event.
    Karen Married on 06/07/2014
    Sweetwater Cuisine is a very special catering company in that they not only can provide just about any type of food desired but they can also design wonderful ways of displaying food so that the food is an event in itself. At my daughter's wedding which was held at our home, they were able to incorporate many of my antique furniture pieces as serving displays on the lawn. Sweetwater provided foods reflecting the diverse places that my daughter and son-in-law have lived, including food especially prepared with a french canadien flair for the groom's family. We began with Virginia crab beignets and California fish tacos amongst the appetizers served with an alcoholic version of their signature sweetwater. Then Canadian salmon and midwest petite filet with Michigan summer salad. All made fresh on site. The desert stations included family pie recipes as well as site made nitrogen ice cream and Quebec maple syrup candy. A pizza oven was used for individual pizzas at the afterparty where canadian poutine was also served. Who else could have grilled, baked, fried, made pizza, ice cream, and candy all freshly made on site? And also set up an amazing wine tasting bar as an added activity? Sweetwater Cuisine! I have already booked another event with them for early 2016!
    Barbara Married on 05/03/2014
    I still smile when I reflect on our daughter's wedding reception. Jodi, Maria and the entire staff at Sweetwater Cuisine did an AMAZING job. Thank you to each of you. The event was perfectly delicious and absolutely gorgeous. It was breathtaking to walk into the reception and to view the tables for the first time. The beautiful presentation of the stations, especially the ice sculpture at the seafood station as well as the pizza and dessert stations, exceeded our expectations. You are not only experts at your profession, you are also the friendliest, kindest and most accommodating people we have ever met. The bride and groom loved the special personal attention they received all evening and our guests continue to rave about the friendly staff and delicious cuisine. We are Fans for Life with Grateful Hearts, Barbara and Gene Gerloff
  • User1618384 2+ years ago
    Sweetwater Cuisine could not have been more helpful planning our wedding. The food was delicious and the customer service was exemplary. They went out of their way to help us plan the perfect champagne toast, bar setup and table arrangements. During the wedding they were extremely attentive, regularly serving us food and drinks and checking on our every need.
    Ashley Married on 10/12/2013
    Jodi and her team are the BEST there is. Period. We held our wedding not local to us or to Jodi and her team, but we knew that we had to have her amazing food but more importantly HER and her team with us on the most important day of our lives! Jodi and every member of her staff went ABOVE and beyond to make sure everything was perfect. From dealing with terrible weather to a venue that didn't have a traditional kitchen for prep, they handled everything and made everything run so smoothly. And of course, the food was DIVINE. We had so many guests say it was the best wedding food they had ever ever had - and to top it off, not only was it incredible, but it was displayed to perfection thanks to Jodi's creative eye. Sweetwater is the best best BEST! :)
    Rachael Married on 09/13/2013
    Sweetwater was amazing. They were the ONLY caterer that listened when I asked not to include certain things in a proposal. They sat down with me instead of going back and forth via email right away and let us try things right then and there and then had us come back to try everything (even items on other bride and grooms menus) this way we knew for sure what we wanted. They worked with me on the pricing and were honest and helpful about pricing. I went back and forth with them about things and they were more than accommodating. Sometimes it took them awhile to get back but they always got back to me and were always faster than any other caterer. I contacted a lot of caterers and I felt like their customer service was lacking..like I was just another number. At Sweetwater I didn't feel that way. They made sure to make my special day perfect and about the two of us and who we are. My guests continue to rave about the food and the service was amazing. I am so blessed. My family actually loves it so much that ever since the tasting they've been going to the monthly brunch at the cafe and have already requested I place an order for the bread pudding for our Thanksgiving. I look forward to having Sweetwater be apart of many more family memories and would recommend them to everyone. I can't thank you all enough. Seriously thank you!!