Surfsand Resort Reviews

Surfsand Resort 3
Surfsand Resort 4
Surfsand Resort 5

Amanda · Married on 08/26/2017

This was a great place to use for a wedding venue. Very professional!

Sent on 09/02/2017

Kindra · Married on 06/17/2017

Absolutely loved it. Perfect. Beautiful view, amazing food, very attentive and helpful on our wedding day. I have no complaints at all.

Sent on 07/02/2017

Merete · Married on 05/18/2012

The Surfsand Resort was a perfect venue to have an oregon coast wedding. The area surrounding the resort is beautiful, and the resort is just a few steps from the famed Haystack Rock. The staff were really helpful throughout the entire planning process, and on the day of, everything went smoothly. The food was great, the location of our ceremony on the beach was perfect, and we couldn't of asked for better weather! The staff helped make the day stress free, and it was an all around great day!

Sent on 06/19/2012

Rachael · Married on 09/15/2018

Surfsand was the perfect venue for our wedding this September. We had planned for a beach ceremony with our reception in the ballroom but brought the ceremony inside when a rainstorm rolled in. Kate at surfsand was a dream to work with - particularly the day of the event. She made sure to get in contact with all of my other vendors, my personal day-of contact, and myself, to make sure that my vision was executed, despite the weather. The surfsand catering staff were sure to check in with me throughout the day to make sure we stayed on schedule (and to make sure I was able to eat!). I am absolutely blown away by the progrssionalism of all of the surfsand staff. We have been vacationing here for the past few years and will continue to do so, after our wedding weekend.
    My advice to other brides - dont sweat the small stuff. Surfsand will make sure your day plays out perfectly.

Sent on 09/18/2018

Joanna · Married on 06/11/2010

We had an amazing experience with Surfsand. Terri made planning an Oregon Wedding from Texas a breeze! The service was awesome, the food was delicious, and the Haystack gardens were gorgeous. The day of the wedding was no sweat. The only thing that worried me was that there seemed like there was nothing for me to do! Terri had the beach ceremony set up and had arranged everything with the florist, caterer, photographer and musician while I just sat back and got pampered! The staff at Surfsand was amazing, as well. They were coming in with extra tables and barstools for the make-up artist and had everything cleared away by the time i got back to my room after the wedding. Great experience!

Sent on 06/18/2010

Joeana · Married on 07/20/2013

We loved the wedding team at Surfsand Resort! Terri and Molly and the whole crew at Surfsand, the Chef and his crew at the Wayfarer (caterers) and the Chef and his crew at the Lumberyard (Rehearsal Dinner) were so great to work with. Everyone was very laid-back and pretty much did everything we needed/wanted. It was a great time had by all during the week we were at Surfsand. Terri and Molly were available to us at all times, and made it so that we could get into the ballroom and decorate as much as we needed. We really had a blast and all of our guests have said over and over that our wedding was the BEST EVER! Thanks guys! Joeana & Ben

Sent on 09/14/2014

3.5

The Surfsand resort has been a family vacation for years, so we knew it would be the perfect venue for our wedding. We live 8 hours away and Sarah made everything so easy for us! The ballroom was set up exactly how I wanted when we arrived into town. The food was delicious, everyone loved it! I can't thank the Surfsand enough for making my day perfect!

Sent on 08/17/2016

Tammy · Married on 06/29/2019

4.2

We will celebrate some anniversaries here

Our wedding was beautiful and Surfsand did a great job helping us out with set up and through out the whole planning process. There were some very minor hiccups but I could not have asked for our wedding to go any smoother. The staff was extremely accommodating, our bartenders were fantastic and all the guests loved them, if we were missing anything or if anything didn’t go as we wanted someone was right there to fix it or help us out. The food was amazing and we have eating at the Wayfarer a couple times now since our tastings and will go back. I am gluten free and they made sure our entire wedding menu was gluten free so I did not have to worry on my wedding day what I could and could not eat! It was fantastic and an amazing day! I recommend Surfsand to anyone that wants a wedding on or by the beach!

Sent on 07/07/2019
    Surfsand Resort 6
    Surfsand Resort 7
    Surfsand Resort 8
    Surfsand Resort 9
    Surfsand Resort 10

Holly · Married on 09/27/2014

3.5

Terri was very helpful and nice to work with during our wedding planning process. We had our wedding ceremony on the beach and the reception in the Haystack Gardens. It was so, so beautiful- I cannot wait to get our photos back! We had only one minor issue with rain & a water main break the week prior to our wedding and it made a section of the grass in the garden pretty soggy, but that was the only mishap during the whole process & they were pretty flexible in letting us use the tiki torches to section off that area, so it really ended up being just fine. Our guests loved the food and the open bar & we heard nothing but nice things about our venue choice. We would definitely recommend using the Surfsand to anyone looking for a venue in Cannon Beach.

Sent on 10/11/2014

Sarah Kim · Married on 09/07/2012

3.5

We loved having our wedding at the Surfsand. I think this is the best venue on the Oregon coast for a wedding where you're planning on having over 50 guests. It's easily accessible from Portland, whereas many other spots on the coast are a much longer drive. The staff who work on-site are incredibly gracious and welcoming - we were so happy with their service. Terri, their on-site event coordinator, was mostly good to work with - in my experience, she wasn't inclined to "sell" us on the property, since I don't think they have a lot of competition in the area. I also found that she didn't track the last-minute details as well as we would have liked. That said, we had a wonderful wedding weekend (in spite of the fog & clouds!), and I would definitely choose the venue again if I had to do it over.

Sent on 11/30/2012

Stacey · Married on 07/12/2008

3.0

This is an amazing venue for a wedding and reception. It's pricey, but you get what you pay for and the area is amazing. The waitstaff were particulrly attentive and the venue is kid friendly.

Sent on 07/23/2008

Kylee · Married on 05/12/2007

3.8
      3.0

The location was wonderful and the venue perfect.

Sent on 04/09/2008

2.8
      1.0
      3.0

Felt like we were planning the wedding on our 100 percent own. I saw reviews from the past and it seemed like Terri offered the couples things that were never even mentioned to us!?! We have not been married on site yet, but the lack of help and guidance have made me feel a bit disappointed. I know I will love the location and our wedding day of, but I would have appreciated more help. Terri was also on trips a lot or out of office so it was tricky to get questions answered when wanted.

Sent on 06/10/2014

2.6
      2.5

Seems like a ton of $$ just for food. Tasty though.
    Terri isnt a wedding planner so dont expect much help. She forgot a major detail that I asked for. She also was on vacation a lot and out of office, delay for questions.
    But besides that she was very nice and at least tried to be helpful.

Sent on 07/12/2014

Laine · Married on 09/01/2018

1.8
      1.0

I wrote a detailed review I would be happy to share, but unfortunately Wedding Wire's character limit cut it off. Here are the high points: we dealt with 4 different coordinators in the 10 months we planned our wedding, and were never told when our point person was changing. Information was constantly lost, as we were asked for things such as our floorplan and timeline multiple times, and sometimes we waited over a month for responses to emails. One person would approve something, then someone else would tell us it wasn't possible. Mistakes were made repeatedly in emails, on the phone, and in person despite multiple corrections. Our final event order had 12 errors in it that I counted and it took 3 or 4 drafts to fix it.

The biggest issue: two weeks before the wedding we got the final event order with thousands of dollars of charges that were not in our contract, plus changes to allowed decor items and numerous errors. It took many hours of both ours and our planner's time to get them to honor our contract and added a huge amount of stress. When we went to our bonfire, there were 8 bonfires and no way to tell which was ours. When we finally found it (no staff around), it was unlit. One of my guests had to find a tiki torch and light it himself.

There is much more I wish I had room to share, but although there were some positives (gorgeous garden space, well-stocked open bar, delicious food and friendly chef, staff on the resort side was awesome), we had a very negative experience and this venue added a ton of stress for us. I would not recommend it.

EDIT: The first time I posted this review, I listed the food and catering as a positive. I have since discovered from multiple guests that one of the two entree options ran out with two tables left to go to the buffet, leaving no vegetarian option for guests. I only had 14 tables including our table for two. Even worse, the dietary restriction meals I had requested (which were approved) were not given out. I had guests with allergies to gluten, dairy, and peanuts who even asked the staff for their plates, and were told there was nothing for them. So several of my guests could not eat anything. I reached out to the chef at the Wayfarer regarding this issue after my wedding to let him know, and never even got a response.

Sent on 09/10/2018