Sunset Terrace at Chelsea Piers Reviews

48 Reviews for Sunset Terrace at Chelsea Piers

• Jeff

Jeff Funaro · Married on 04/13/2019

The Perfect Wedding Venue

unset Terrace was the perfect venue for our ceremony and reception. From the moment we walked in for our initial venue tour we were sold, and we never ceased to be amazed through the entire process. Jennifer, our event coordinator, was incredible. She responded quickly to emails, hopped on the phone, and was always available if we wanted to stop by the venue to discuss details. She coordinated the catering, the table linens, the floor plans, the bar (including signature cocktails), EVERYTHING. We were able to make this wedding our own, and we are so grateful for that. The venue itself is phenomenal. Three walls are pure windows with views of the Hudson, and the main wall of windows are garage doors that open up onto the deck. We were fortunate to have a beautiful spring day, and the windows stayed open the entire night! The name of the venue is very appropriate, because the sunset DELIVERED. We timed our first dance with the sunset, and it made the moment even more magical. Getting to the venue is a little weird because you have to walk around the ice skating rink, but it is absolutely worth it - you walk into an oasis and completely forget where you just were. I seriously cannot say enough good things about Sunset Terrace. Load-in and load-out of our supplies were seamless, the decorations we provided were placed tastefully and thoughtfully, the ceremony was flipped to the reception in record time, and everything was just perfect. And while it wasn't the least expensive option that we considered, it was still within our budget, and was worth every single penny. Highly recommend!

Sent on 06/09/2019

Caitlin · Married on 07/14/2018

We chose Sunset Terrace as the venue for our Saturday evening wedding in July, and I honestly do not have enough good things to say about the venue and incredible staff at Chelsea Piers. We had the pleasure of working with Sherwin, who really helped us in planning and executing the vision for our day. He offered us incredibly valuable advice based on his many years of expertise that helped us plan a terrific event. On the day of, our guests could not stop gushing about how much they loved the gorgeous views overlooking the Hudson. We also had a wonderful experience with the caterer, Neuman's Kitchen, who gave us A+ treatment from the time of our tasting to the day of. The staff executed the day perfectly and many of our guests said the food was the best they had ever had at a wedding! All in all, I could not recommend Sunset Terrace at Chelsea Piers enough!

Sent on 07/29/2018

Virginia · Married on 09/02/2017

We worked with Jennifer Walsh at the Sunset Terrace and she was phenomenal. From start to finish (over the last year and a half), she provided quick, helpful responses over both email and phone and was super accommodating. We were constantly blown away and impressed. The Sunset Terrace itself is a beautiful and extremely affordable venue for the city and we were really grateful with how much they were able to provide for us with regard to decor, set-up/break-down, and catering. The food is from Neuman's Kitchen and it was unreal, as were the cocktails. They even made special changes just for us based on our requests. Jennifer is experienced with creating detailed itineraries for the day and knew what would "flow" best for the evening. She also provided us with helpful recommendations for other vendors to use and reassured us when we were hit with the unexpected (e.g., knowing which vendors tend to be more creative/less detail oriented but not to be worried about that). I have nothing but wonderful things to say about her and the venue in general.

Sent on 09/17/2017

Allison · Married on 08/20/2017

Sunset Terrace is a hidden gem! We just held our wedding reception there and had such a beautiful day. It exceeded our already high expectations. Where else can you have an event on the Hudson River that is fully covered but also allows for open-air and your guests to enjoy a terrace? It feels like such an escape in the middle of Manhattan.

Beyond the beautiful ambiance, we couldn't have asked for better staff and customer service. Sherwin was so responsive and proactive and worked extremely well with all of our vendors. He was a great partner throughout the process and made himself available for walk-throughs and as questions arose. On the day of our wedding, the whole staff was professional and helped meet all of our guests' needs. We recommend Sunset Terrace without any reservation!

Sent on 09/02/2017

Jenn · Married on 06/10/2017

We got married at Sunset Terrace in early June and it was PERFECT!!! Everyone loved the views, the warm breeze, and the sunset on the river. Our guests were super impressed and we had an amazing night.

Sherwin goes above and beyond. He and the entire team there ensured that everything went completely smoothly. In the lead up to and the day of, Sherwin helped us ensure every detail was accounted for so we could thoroughly enjoy our big day! He even made sure we ate amidst all the activity! We can not recommend him and the Sunset Terrace highly enough!!!

The Sunset Terrace is the perfect blend of beautiful, professional, and affordable. We are so, so grateful we found it and had our wedding there!

Sent on 06/25/2017

rachel · Married on 05/20/2017

Wow! My husband and I and our family and friends were so impressed with the Sunset Terrace at Chelsea Piers. The venue is incredibly beautiful and Sherwin was always very quick to respond to emails/phone calls, and just very on top of everything leading up to the day and day of. We can't say enough wonderful things about the venue and working with Sherwin. The food was absolutely delicious! We had a buffet dinner for about 95 and it was perfect! We were married April 21, had the garage doors down for the ceremony as it was a little to chilly outside for that time, but it felt fantastic to have them open by the dance floor as the night went on! My husband played hockey for many years, and half of the guests were visiting from Sweden, so they thought it was so cool to walk by the hockey arena as you entered the venue space. You will not be disappointed in selecting this venue as your wedding venue - it was truly wonderful from the planning process all the way until the end of the night! Thank you Sherwin and the Chelsea Piers team! I had the wedding of my dreams!!!

Sent on 05/16/2017

Jeremy · Married on 09/04/2016

I cannot say enough good things about Sunset Terrace. We held our wedding here over Labor Day weekend and it could not have been more perfect. From the very beginning and throughout the planning process, Jennifer and Sherwin were so helpful in securing the space and we knew that our wedding was in expert hands. They were a dream to work with.

The space at Sunset Terrace is gorgeous. Located in Chelsea right on the Hudson River, the indoor-outdoor set-up was perfect and allowed us to have a "sort-of" outdoor wedding without freaking out about the weather forecast. The gorgeous sunset and view from the terrace also made decorating the space that much easier.

Last but absolutely not least, the service the night of the wedding was absolutely perfect. I cannot thank Sherwin of Sunset Terrace and the Neuman's Kitchen staff enough. My husband and I didn't have to think or worry about anything except each other and having fun. Our glasses were never empty, our guests were well taken care of, and the evening was executed just as we'd envisioned it. They were flexible in incorporating our vision of the evening; from the drag queen to the confetti drops...it was all perfect and we'll remember it for a lifetime!

Sent on 12/09/2016

Loved every part of my wedding.
    Thank you Chelsea Piers.

Sent on 07/03/2015

Sarah · Married on 08/08/2015

WOW!! My husband and I used Sunset Terrace for our wedding venue and we could not be happier! From the moment we met Sherwin we knew we wanted our wedding there.

He was with us every step of the way and made it seamless from start to finish. He worked with my DJ who was also a major part of the wedding to make sure the timing of everything went smoothly.

My husband and I never had an empty hand or a empty stomach which was great. We actually were able to enjoy the day and I can honestly say I was so relaxed knowing everything was left in Sherwin's hand... if anything went wrong I surely did not know about it.

The view is to die for (my family is from overseas) so the setting on the Hudson river was perfect.

I recommend Sherwin and his team 100%!

Sent on 08/14/2015

The experience at Sunset Terrace was outstanding, from the initial tour of the venue to the very end of our wedding reception. The event manager Sherwin and coordinator Christine were attentive to our every need, and were even proactive in helping plan the wedding. My husband and I were actually a bit behind on wedding planning as the event approached, because we were both working and I was in grad school. Sherwin and Christine made sure we had every detail covered during the weeks leading up to our big day.

My husband Huntly was particularly impressed in one conversation where Sherwin helped us save money in one decorations area by suggesting we focus on something else that would actually make the guest experience better. It's clear that the team at Chelsea Piers was not trying to "up-sell" on anything, and were truly focused on making sure we had a great day without any unnecessary frills.

Sherwin and Christine were also great on the day of our wedding. From making sure all the transitions during the night went smoothly, to coordinating our wedding party, guests, and vendors between areas, and even the little details like keeping our drinks filled and plates full throughout the evening, it all made the wedding perfect. I couldn't recommend a better staff to have manage your wedding.

In terms of the venue itself, it's a beautiful setting that makes for a very romantic evening. We got married on a Saturday evening in June, and the view of the sunset over the Hudson was so pretty, and gave us some super great photo opportunities! And for value, we found the pricing to be one of the most affordable in the city.

Sent on 08/26/2015
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 05/09/2015

I used this venue for the reception, it's a really beautiful venue, few mishaps the day of but all in all I can't complain about the price the staff or anything! I would definitely recommend this venue, thanks to Jennifer, Patricia and Frankie for really making my reception a huge hit and making sure my guests were well fed and always with a drink in their hands!

Sent on 05/17/2015

Caryn · Married on 04/04/2015

This was the perfect venue for our wedding of 88 guests. The catering service they use, 'wichcraft was amazing. Our guests raved about the food. Christine and Sherwin our event planners handled all of our details and decorating instructions. Sherwin acted as a "day of coordinator" and made sure our day ran smoothly and that we were taken care of. This was a wonderful venue at a great price and they really take care of you.

Sent on 04/13/2015

Amazing !!! Our guests simply loved everything about the venue. We couldn't have asked for a better night !

Sent on 09/28/2014

Maia · Married on 07/19/2014

Sunset Terrace turned out to be the perfect place for our wedding: the view of the river was gorgeous and nature obliged us with a wonderful sunset during our reception. Jennifer Walsh helped with everything, including making sure that we did not start the ceremony before a key guest, who needed handicapped access, was able to arrive. The staff was responsive to our needs and professional.

The catering by Witch Craft was excellent and the bar service, too. For Manhattan, the price was astonishingly reasonable and if you have out of town guests, it has a rare amenity: parking. And you'd never know once you get into the terraced room that there is a hockey rink behind it!

Sent on 08/09/2014

Chelsea Piers provided us with the most amazing experience for our wedding. From the time we first contacted them to inquire about having our wedding there to the follow up after the wedding. They were extremely responsive, organized, flexible and professional, as well as being so pleasant to work with. The space itself is beautiful, with amazing views of the Hudson all the way down to the Statue of Liberty on clear days. The food was provided by Jason's Catering and was also amazing, and all of our guests commented on how good it was. All of the staff helped everything run smoothly and the entire day seemed effortless. A special thanks to our coordinator, Sherwin, who kept the night organized, ensured that we were completely taken care of and made everything run perfectly. It truly felt as though we had our own wedding planner for the day and allowed us to relax and even eat! Our guests have continued to comment and how wonderful the space, staff and food all were and were amazed that this place exists in New York. I would definitely recommend this venue to everyone!

Sent on 06/25/2014

Betsy · Married on 05/24/2014

Their coordination of our event was impeccable; they had everything covered. Jennifer was patient, kind, and most importantly, accessible. Outstanding service.

Sent on 05/29/2014

My husband and I chose SunsetTerrace as the venue for our wedding reception and could not have been more pleased. Eliese is amazing and you can tell she actually cares about the couple, not just the bottom line. The view is perfect, the food outstanding, and the service is out of this world. We have no regrets and are still getting compliments on how much fun everyone had! If the skating rink is causing you to have doubts, just put that out of your head! Once you're inside the rest of the world melts away and it's perfect, promise :)

Sent on 05/17/2014

Marie · Married on 12/29/2013

My husband and I were married at Sunset Terrace on December 29, 2013, and were so happy we chose it as our venue! We felt comforted in knowing that everything was taken care of along the way, and we were so impressed with everyone's care and attention to detail to make the big day come together. Sherwin Johnson made sure everything went smoothly and that everyone was happy, so all we were left to do was enjoy each moment!

Sent on 01/14/2014
  • cindit0

Cindy · Married on 09/28/2013

About the venue - This venue was the perfect setting for our wedding on 9/28/2013, reception only. This venue fit our needs because the catering was an affordable price per person, we were allowed to bring in food from outside vendors without cost, and the view spoke for itself. We were lucky to have beautiful weather and had all the doors open all night long

About the food - Jason's Catering - I worked with Diane and we did a tasting and friends have told me to not expect the same at the wedding since it'll be mass produced... NOT TRUE! All our guests raved about the cocktail hour and the entrees served. We did buffet style with a carving station because there are guests who want more than one serving and others who only want 1/2 a serving. Though it takes some time to get through the lines, in terms of meal satisfaction I think this worked the best. The mini grilled cheese and sliders were amazing. During dinner everyone LOVED the seared sesame seed crusted tuna and the BBQ steak. We had other desserts brought in from other vendors and coordinating with Sherwin and Diane was seamless. Make sure you run through everything with them ahead of time - we all wanted to make sure it wasn't going to impact other preparations for the night.

About the service - Sherwin and Jennifer were very attentive and practical with their advice and I 100% appreciated it since I was keeping to a budget and not having hired a wedding consultant or coordinator, it's good to have professionals keep you accountable for your decisions. My wedding cake never arrived - LONG story - but Sherwin was very professional handling the situation. Though he offered to have one of his guys find another, we decided we had enough desserts being brought in that it would be fine without.

PROS - beautiful view, catering and service were great, coordinators excellent to work with, affordable
    CONS - entrance to venue, lights don't dim above dance floor (on/off)

Sent on 12/23/2013

Keith · Married on 09/14/2013

Sunset Terrace at Chelsea Piers was the perfect venue for our reception. Right on the water with amazing sunset views and an outdoor terrace. The space was just right for our reception of 75 guests.

The food provided by Jason's Catering was top notch. Our guests said it was the best food they have ever had at a wedding. This included entrees like filet mignon and lobster, as well as a separate carving station for stuffed pork loin. They also provided a huge assortment of desserts and pastries. The catering staff was very attentive and friendly.

Special thanks to Chloe Labiner and Jennifer Walsh, who helped plan and organize the event. They took care of everything, including working with our vendors to coordinate the big day. We did not have to worry about anything during the reception. We were able to relax and enjoy the evening with our guests.

Final shout out to Frankie, the operations manager of Sunset Terrace. It is rare to find someone who cares so much about his work, but Frankie is one of those people. You can see how much pride he has for Sunset Terrace in everything he does.

We loved everything about our reception and recommend Sunset Terrace and their staff to anyone looking for a beautiful, waterfront reception.

Sent on 09/19/2013

Sharon · Married on 06/08/2013

I just had my wedding here on 6/8/13 and could not have been happier with my choice of venue. I first heard about Sunset Terrace from New York Magazine's website, which listed it as a recommended affordable venue in NYC. It ended up being a great choice especially for my husband and me, as we are a young couple and not loaded with money.

The whole thing was perfect we were extremely pleased. Sherwin was a true pleasure to work with - he is so personable and willing to do whatever you need. To give a specific example: he took care of setting up everything for me. He was willing to store stuff for me the day before - and he was very flexible with all my needs: from flowers, to vendors, to drinks, etc. He was very responsive to all my emails. We didn't really need to start talking much until a few weeks before the actual date, but throughout the months, he stayed in touch and even sent us a Christmas card!

His team is awesome - I even got to know one of his wait staff, Frankie - really fun guy. The "Southern Gentleman" is delish!

The food was great - I thought so personally and we received many compliements from our guests as well. On the day of, Sherwin seriously made sure every guest was attended to - I heard this from my friends! He made sure my husband and I got to eat (which is rare for most couples on their wedding day!).

The venue itself is beautiful too. We were blessed with the perfect weather and got to have all the garage doors open. My husband and I danced on the terrace! The sunset was beautiful, the cool breeze was great - I am just so so happy we picked this place!

Sent on 08/05/2013

Nina · Married on 12/23/2012

We needed to find a venue for our wedding and reception on an expedited basis during the frenzy the Christmas holidays. We had a very tight deadline of 3 weeks and were understandably concerned. However, after meeting with Event Coordinator Sherwin Johnson, we were convinced that the Sunset Terrace was the perfect spot for us. The venue was absolutely beautiful and offered a great deal of flexibility. Sherwin was instrumental in the planning process, and accomodated every request, despite the tight deadline. The final product was a fairytale wedding that looked like it took months to put together. All of our guests were blown away by the gorgeous venue and praised the quality/presentation of the food. Thank you to everyone at Chelsea Piers for exceeding our expectations and giving us the wedding of our dreams!

Sent on 01/10/2013

I would recommend this venue to EVERYONE. Lauren McCourt is so amazing! She answered each and every one of my emails, from big questions to very small ones. She did everything we asked and I wasn't nervous or stressed from the second we got there until the end of the night. The space was AMAZING. The lights at night twinkling over the river was just perfect. Everyone kept talking about it and how it was the fanciest wedding they have ever been to. We can't say enough about Lauren, she is so professional, efficient and quick to respond, I couldn't have done it all without her! I recommend Chelsea Piers Sunset Terrace to everyone wanting an amazing NYC wedding for an affordable price.

Sent on 10/15/2012

Aja · Married on 04/28/2012

We visited at least half a dozen event spaces in Manhattan for our wedding and reception, and we decided that Sunset Terrace was a perfect fit for us. While the room was empty, and it was a freezing cold day on the water during our first visit, we knew this spot had so much potential for our spring wedding. Our Event Coordinator Sherwin Johnson gave us the grand tour and we were sold.

The space is gorgeous, and the decorating options are limitless. To be perfectly honest though, we were still a little skeptical about having their outside caterer come in. This was going to be the deal breaker, and we just felt like it probably wouldn’t work. Welcome to three or four days later when we went to our tasting. Had we known it would be this good, we would’ve skipped lunch! We were absolutely blown away by the quality and presentation of the food, and the deal was done.

One more bit of skepticism – we had decided to plan the entire wedding and reception without the help of a planner, so we were naturally quite nervous about how everything would unfold. We could not have asked for a smoother day thanks to Sherwin and his entire team. From start to finish, the entire event couldn’t have gone any smoother. Whether it was introducing us for the first time or making sure our plates were full and glasses overflowing, we never had to ask for a single thing.

MOST IMPORTANTLY – our guests had such a wonderful time, and we’ve heard nothing but praise whether it was the ambience, the view, the hospitality, the food, the band, etc…

One note for any future newlyweds – we unfortunately didn’t have the luxury of having a late spring/early summer wedding, but if you can, there are floor to ceiling windows which can be opened in the warm weather. We can only imagine how that would’ve been.

Thanks again to Sherwin and everyone involved for making this an event of a lifetime!

Sent on 05/25/2012