Sundara Reviews

31 Reviews for Sundara

• Brielle

Brielle Heslep · Married on 01/07/2020

Beautiful venue!

We got married at Sundara a little over a month ago and it was truly everything we envisioned and wanted for our wedding and more. IT was the MOST beautiful outdoor space ever and Cari was a dream to work with and have as our wedding coordinator. EVERY single one of our guests were telling us all night how it was the most gorgeous wedding they had ever been too and it was all because of the beauty of the location, the service from Cari and the crew, the INCREDIBLE food by blue ridge catering and the HUGE dance floor. CANNOT say enough great things about Sundara. Book here!! :)

Sent on 08/18/2019
  • Morela

Morela · Married on 11/10/2019

Vintage Perfection!

What can I say about the most amazing venue???? This venue is absolutely breathtaking! We got married on 11/10/19 and it was a perfect fall day! We started looking for wedding venues a little over a year before we got married. I thought I found the venue we were going to get married but my husband said to me let’s go see the last one so I agreed and I’m so happy we did. This venue has so much to offer which is something we were looking for. They do have their own catering but rest assure, their food is phenomenal. I’m a foodie so I’m pretty familiar with how amazing food taste. Aside from their awesome catering (blue ridge catering) they have the most amazing wedding coordinator, Cari. She really is simply amazing. She was so helpful throughout the entire process and very patient. Our wedding day honestly was the best day ever and that’s thanks to the staff at Sundara. One small detail I live in the Northern Virginia area so we travelled a bit but that goes to show how worth it this venue is.

Sent on 11/15/2019
  • Meg

Meg Lacy · Married on 11/02/2019

Ah-mazing!

This beautiful gem of a place was the perfect spot for our wedding. We were drawn in for the beauty and location, but we had a superb experience because of the work of the amazing staff! They helped coordinate so many details to make the day easy and logistic-free. What a treat!

Sent on 11/27/2019
  • Alexis

Alexis Johnson · Married on 08/10/2019

Summer Wedding

From the moment we saw this property, we knew it was where we wanted to get married. This property is STUNNING with a mountain backdrop and plenty of natural decoration. Once we had flowers delivered there wasn't much more decorating needed. Other than the property, the event coordinator, Cari, is AMAZING. She kept in contact with us the whole year of planning and was incredibly easy to work with. As the wedding got closer, I was asking her a million questions and she answered each in a timely manner and always kindly. On the day of the wedding I felt no stress because Cari was there the whole time making sure everything ran perfectly. Cari and the staff handled all of the set up and clean up, including decorating. We used a lot of decorations that they already had on hand in the "pay it forward closet" but the staff also handled the decorations we brought with us. We couldn't have done a better job ourselves with the setup, everything was done beautifully. We had so many compliments afterwards, not only about the property, but about how smoothly the day went and that its all thanks to Cari. I truly can't think of a better location to get married or a better company to work with. We highly recommend Sundara to everyone!!

Sent on 08/29/2019
  • Kate

Kate Franczek · Married on 06/08/2019

Amazing venue

I give my highest recommendation to Sundara. This recommendation would be incomplete without praise for Cari Reichl. She is the wedding coordinator at Sundara and did a beyond amazing job with our wedding in the year leading up to our day, and on the day of.

A visit to Sundara will sell the location itself. It is set in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains surrounding Roanoke. However, it is the service leading up to the event that makes it a 12/10. So much of the event is included in your venue fee, and the hassle-free model will make wedding planning a breeze. Cari coordinates with a large portion of the vendors for you, and went above and beyond the entire time.

It rained all day on our wedding day, but that didn't stop from having a beautiful, amazing, and seamless ceremony and reception. The tent is absolutely gorgeous, and Cari worked with our florist to create a garden oasis so beautiful you forgot about the down pour outside.

We received SO many complements on guests about the venue, and they spent 99% of their time inside the tent. Everyone raved about the food too!

This is by far the best wedding venue in the SW VA area!

Sent on 07/15/2019

Elizabeth Rooney · Married on 11/02/2018

A wonderful place and people

Cari, the venue manager, made everything so easy and was so helpful. We live in South Carolina and to plan everything from afar and she was very responsive to all of my questions and ideas that I had. I was pretty clueless about planning a wedding and she walked me through it all. I could not have asked for a more beautiful venue or a more accommodating staff to work with. There was no other place I would have rather had our wedding.

Sent on 11/14/2018
  • Nicole

Nicole Crance · Married on 10/13/2018

The Best Venue in ROA

My husband (so excited to finally say that!) and I looked at wedding venues in Virginia, when we got engaged (Dec. 2016), for a little while. We were determined to find THE one, THE perfect place and we knew we would know it right away when we found it. We live in the Cayman Islands (in the Caribbean), but Virginia has always been my second home, since my dad is from there and took us there every summer growing up. It’s sentimental, it’s part of who I am, and we needed the location to reflect how much this place means to me, to us. We wanted fall (October was our chosen month) and we wanted mountains. A beautiful mountain backdrop.

I don’t remember how we came across Sundara’s name, but when we opened their website for the first time, the first photo that greets you is a shot of a ceremony under the most gorgeous tree (I forget what kind it is) with the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains mountains in the backdrop. This tree, which I later learned is one of the ceremony spots you can pick from on the property, looked as though it was wrapping its branches around the couple standing under the arbor for their beautiful ceremony. All I knew is that I wanted that. I wanted this to be my location of my incredibly special day and have a photo like this to remember it all.

Cari Dones is the Sundara Venue Manager, but more than that, she is your calm, cool, collected, resourceful, helpful, willing, encouraging executioner of your plans for your special day and lucky us, we also call her a friend. She was there for us every single step of the way throughout our planning process, always being accommodating to try and arrange phone meetings overseas with us, being available for our visits throughout the year, ensuring I had all my details put together...she was there professionally but also joyfully. She loves what she does and that’s the most important feeling to get from someone who is taking all your wedding plans and bringing them to fruition.

Sundara is the best choice for a wedding venue because of its magnificent beauty alone. But beyond that, you have some much available to you all in one location: a decor pay it forward closet for you to use items from weddings before, a sister catering company, Blue Ridge Catering, who does THE BEST job at giving you incredibly delicious food, the glamping tent for your first night together as husband and wife (we did this and it was the most romantic night ever), sparklers for a sparkler send-off, a beautiful home to get ready in on the property, a list of trusted vendors for you to choose from to help you narrow your options and more. You would be paying for all these things separately anyway, so it made things FAR EASIER to have everything in one location and have vendors that usually do business with this venue so they know it very well.

I spent my day getting ready in my bridal suite without a worry in the world (and I’m a very detailed, organized, worrying person) because I knew everything was in good hands and I couldn’t have been more right. Every single thing about our day was perfect and not a single thing was out of place; everything came together magnificently and blew us away. We will forever be grateful to have had the most gorgeous day of our lives and to have had everything come together in this very, very special place.

Thank you, Sundara, Cari, BRC and all of our vendors.

Sent on 12/16/2018
  • Hannah

Hannah · Married on 08/11/2018

Best decision we made!

Sundara for us was love at first sight. We'd visited a half dozen wedding venues, but from the moment we set foot on this gorgeous property, something clicked. Not only was it beautiful, with big trees, gardens, and the laid back elegance we were looking for for our outdoor wedding, the owner Patty and venue manager Cari made us feel so at home. During the year leading up to our wedding, Cari was unbelievably helpful - answering all of our many questions, offering advice, meeting with us at the property several times, and helping to keep everything organized. By the time our wedding arrived, Cari felt almost like an extended member of our family. I cannot say enough about what she did to make our day everything we'd hoped for. Cari took care of absolutely everything so my bridesmaids, my mom and I could just relax and enjoy the day. After several months of stressing about all the little details, it was so nice to be able to leave everything in her hands and know that it would be beautiful. Even when an unexpected thunderstorm struck during our cocktail hour, Cari sprung into action, getting us under the tent, saving our guestbook, the furniture, etc. from the rain, and still making sure everything went off without a hitch. Our wedding was in August and our friends and family are still talking about how beautiful Sundara is and how much fun they had at our wedding. Having our wedding there was the best decision we made during the wedding planning process, and I highly, highly recommend it to anyone looking for an amazing outdoor venue.

Sent on 10/18/2018

Dan · Married on 07/21/2018

Summer wedding

We had our wedding at Sundara and it was fantastic! From the moment we viewed the property, we knew it was where we wanted to get married. It was summer time for our wedding but bugs weren’t a problem and there was plenty of shady areas to protect us from the sun. I would absolutely recommend Sundara to anyone. Cary is amazing, she helped us every step of the way and we had no concerns throughout the process.

Sent on 12/13/2018

Sarah · Married on 06/23/2018

We got married at Sundara this past June. Sundara was only the second venue we toured but from the moment we stepped on property, we knew that it was where we wanted to get married. It is just an absolutely stunning location, and everyone involved with the property is so kind and accommodating. They have everything down to a science and anticipate every single need. Cari is a superstar, truly. She answered all of our questions, and handled every single aspect flawlessly. The day-of, I didn’t feel stressed at all, because I knew Cari had everything taken care of! That piece of mind is priceless. I truly couldn’t have asked for a more perfect location or a lovelier experience. It was 100% the best wedding choice we made, and we would recommend it to anyone and everyone! Our guests still talk about how wonderful it was 3 months later!

Sent on 09/16/2018

Brie · Married on 05/20/2018

How to even describe the incredible experience we had with Sundara is a challenge. From the beginning, working with Cari was magical. She is so helpful and walked us through every step of the process, including providing us with vendors to consider and helping us decide how to set everything up for the big day. There was practically no stress with the entire planning process, and Cari was always quick to answer any questions we had. When we toured the property, everything felt so perfect and we immediately knew Sundara had been the best choice we could have made. The house and entire property is breath taking. We had always wanted an outdoor wedding and this was certainly the place to have it. On the day of, Cari handled everything. I mean everything. I didn't experience any of the crazy day-of wedding stress you always hear about and felt perfectly sound that the day would unfold as planned. Our ceremony was absolutely perfect and the reception space was more beautiful that I could have hoped for. We got married two months ago and our friends and family still rave about how much fun they had and how amazing the property/set up was. We could not be happier with our experience and Sundara and HIGHLY recommend this venue to anyone looking for an outdoor wedding with a vintage feel that's just right.

Sent on 07/24/2018

Rikki · Married on 06/17/2017

I just want to say thank you to Tom and Patty for allowing us brides to have our dream weddings in such a storybook setting. Sundara is picture perfect. This is true because I have plenty of pictures to prove it :) Your home is truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Thank you for all of your kindness and hospitality. From the start, Rodney and I always felt welcomed and Sundara will always be a special place in our hearts thanks to you both. To Cari, you did a fantastic job keeping me sane through out the past year. Everything went perfectly for our wedding, and I owe a lot of it to you. Everyone, and I mean everyone, came to me raving about what an awesome job you and your staff did and how pleased they were with everything! The food from Blue Ridge Catering was absolutely delicious. Please give my best to Mark and his staff and extend my sincere appreciation. Like my vows, I could go and on, but I just really want you all to know how genuinely happy and grateful I am to have found Sundara...

Sent on 06/19/2017

Bethany · Married on 04/22/2017

Hands down, Sundara & Blue Ridge Catering did a wonderful job making our day absolutely perfect. The staff was professional, helpful, kind and on top of every request. We were extremely impressed! They have what it takes to pull off a classy, beautiful wedding (torrential downpours and all)! Thank You Cari (best wedding planner ever) & the sweet owners!

Sent on 05/09/2018

Sundara's reply:

Bethany, Thank you so much for the glowing review! It was such a privilege to host your wedding at Sundara! Even in the rain, everything turned out absolutely beautiful!

MC · Married on 10/17/2015

Sundara is a breathtaking event venue. The staff are fantastic to work with and they go above and beyond to make things special. The property itself is gorgeous, and allows a lot of flexibility in achieving the type of event you want to have. Sundara is the perfect venue for any time of the year.

Sent on 12/02/2015

Katey · Married on 10/03/2015

We got married at Sundara during historic rainfall (ie. Hurricane Joaquin + cold front that brought rain). As the bride, my image of my wedding during the planning process was of the gorgeous grounds of Sundara, mountains in the background, and a reasonably warm temperature. Obviously, that didn't work out as planned. However, at this point, I'm not sure I would change how the day turned out (maybe not as hard of rain). Our wedding was perfect. Everything took place under the tent which was beautiful--ceremony, reception, pictures, etc. Even without the surrounding beauty of the venue, it was still gorgeous. I am writing this review to tell the brides that are "doomed" with bad weather on their wedding day that Patty and team will do everything in their power to ensure your day is still perfect. There is a "Plan B" if it is rainy or if it is cold. Everything will be OK!! Thank you Patty for your help and making my day "perfect!"

Sent on 10/16/2015

Claire · Married on 05/23/2015

Booking with Sundara was the best wedding decision - besides my choice of husband - that I ever made. Sundara is absolutely stunning! Their eye for detail is awe-inspiring. Every one of my guests mentioned how impressed they were with the site. Patty, the owner, and Kim, the wedding planner/coordinator extraordinaire, are my heroes! They truly made the wedding day perfect. They also made it very easy with us, through their vendor suggestions. Additionally, their wedding package includes almost everything, so the process was super easy. The staff at Sundara is very professional and fun. I want to do it all over again!

Sent on 05/27/2015

Brooke · Married on 05/09/2015

Just perfect. My husband and I had a vision of how we wanted everything to look, which required a lot of attention to detail, and the staff at Sundara could not have done a more fantastic job. So many people came up to us and used the word 'flawless' to describe just how incredible everything was. There was nothing that could have been done better, truly the most memorable and beautiful day ever!

Sent on 05/11/2015

Virginia · Married on 09/06/2014

Could not have been happier with our choice to get married at Sundara. Amy and Patti made everything seamless and unbelievably beautiful. They were a joy to work with and everything turned out exactly like we wanted it. I really can't imagine a better setting in which to get married. I would highly recommend Sundara!!

Sent on 10/07/2014

Sundara's reply:

Thank you Virginia! We loved working with you and your family. What a beautiful day!

It was a beautiful day & event that we just had at Sundara! Patty, Amy and all the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. This is a gorgeous historic property among the apple orchards . A creek runs through the backyard, lots of lovely flowers & trees. Huge magnolias! Mark Baldwin & the Blue Ridge Catering staff prepared a wonderful station arrangement with some International, as well as Southern dishes. It was quite impressive! Got lots of compliments on the food. All of our guests, many of them from abroad, loved this venue.

Sent on 06/09/2014

Kelly · Married on 05/31/2014

This place is the best. It is beautiful and the people who work there are amazing. They will help you with anything you need and are super flexible and creative. Amy and Patty are so wonderful to work with. I can not say enough great things about the staff and the venue. It is beautiful out there. Perfect night!

Sent on 06/17/2014

Sundara's reply:

Thank you Kelly! You and Dirk had such a memorable day and we can't wait to work with your sister this October!

Elizabeth · Married on 09/06/2013

After visiting at Sundara in the cold of winter with my son and his fiancee, we knew this would be a picture perfect place as the weather warmed up. Patty and Amy were both very helpful in their suggestions, planning and making the day of the wedding come together. They were willing to do whatever we needed to help take the stress off of a joyous and emotional day. We made use of a pay it forward room of items left by previous brides to help with decorations. During the wedding, it was possible to bring an electric full sized piano and plug into a nearby outlet at the wedding arch. The DJ Patty recommended had everything miked to perfection. Even the Grandparents that are challenged with their hearing could hear the service. With a Vintage theme, we were very pleased to be able to use the china and silverware available at Sundara. The tables and linens were outstanding. As we provided our own table decorations, Amy made sure the tables were set as we desired. The tent with all of its lights was almost magical looking, changing color from time to time. The golf cart driven by one of the staff made it possible for the Grandparents to be able to maneuver the grounds. I will add that we also used the property as the site of our rehearsal dinner. Patty allowed me to cater it myself offering use of the event kitchen and even her own personal oven if needed. It proved to be a relaxing evening for the family and bridal party to enjoy each others company. Time was spent sharing stories around the dinner table as well as playing cornhole and enjoying the fire pitt and smore's. I tip my hat to Patty for sharing her beautiful home, inside and out. To quote the Bride, "It's the best wedding I've ever been to".

Sent on 09/17/2013

Elise · Married on 06/01/2013

Sundara is the most beautiful venue in the area and the owners are amazingly helpful. They are there to answer any questions that you may have and they have so many options and items for you on your wedding day. They suggested some amazing vendors, and they were there to help throughout the day.

Sent on 06/26/2014

Benjamin · Married on 10/21/2012

It was nice by having the chance to enjoy our wedding on a Sunday and working with you on the pricing of the event to make our dream day more affordable. The staff was helpful and willing to go the extra mile offering advice that was constructive and helpful. The facility is amazing with perfect views of the mountains and in the fall the leaves are just right with those fall colors to highlight any wedding day. The tent is great and the lighting and atmosphere it provides is one of a kind. The tent offers a flexible workable area for the decor of your choice and a set up to match your preference. There is plenty of room to move around both in and around the tent. The grounds are well kept and are fun to explore and walk around. It was nice have 2 different rooms for the bridal party. The grooms room is manly and has a pool table and mine refrigerator. The brides room has bathroom and and places to lay back and relax. I have not stopped bragging about how wonderful Sundara was for us and hope some of our friends get married there as well.

Sent on 11/18/2012

Ellen · Married on 10/07/2012

I cannot start to imagine my wedding at anywhere other than Sundara. Patty was incredibly helpful on a day that was 50 degrees and raining. She listened to what I wanted and made sure that everyone else was on board and prepared for the day. She worked within our budget and she never seemed bothered by my abundance of phone calls, family visits, etc. This is the best venue in Southwest Virginia.

Sent on 11/05/2012

Sundara's reply:

Thanks you Ellen for taking the time to write a review. And thank you for you kind words. I miss hearing from you!
    I hope all is well.

Best wishes,

Patty
  • Holly

Holly · Married on 06/17/2012

We used Sundara for both our ceremony and reception space. It was absolutely beautiful! Nestled beside an apple grove with views of the Blue Ridge Mountains this venue captured the beauty of Southwestern Virginia. We had beautiful wild flowers that pulled in the many natural colors on site. The lawn was immaculately landscaped and well groomed. The flagstone patio and tent made for nice insurance in case of bad weather. Thankfully while it threatened to rain it held off until late that night which made for great pictures. Setup was handled by Sundara staff which made the wedding day a lot more enjoyable. The owner is very responsive and has the insight to help you plan your special day! This venue was really an absolute joy to work with and I can only speak words of praise.

In case you’re looking for other local vendors see our list below, we were extremely happy with all:
    1. Photographer- Kemper Mills http://www.kempermillsfant.com/