Sugar Mama's Bakeshop Reviews

48 | Austin, TX

48 Reviews for Sugar Mama's Bakeshop

Lisa · Married on 10/01/2017

We had a great experience working with Sugar Mama's! They did such a beautiful job creating our wedding cake! We requested a three tier naked cake with a vanilla layer, red velvet layer and apocalypse layer. We had our florist add succulents to the cake as well. It turned out gorgeous and tasted equally amazing.

Sent on 10/17/2017

Melissa · Married on 04/09/2017

I was a little bit late on getting the cake figured out...2 weeks before the wedding...but still, they took care of me and did a fabulous job! I didn't really want anything super crazy special so we were able to just do a quick phone call and get everything all set up. We ordered 3 cakes from them and cookies for the favors. The cake (which we ordered WAY too much of lol), was a HUGE hit. The vegan blueberry-lemonade being the absolute favorite, followed closely by the German chocolate!

They were decorated perfectly for me! I wanted the main cake to be a two tier naked funfetti cake...and that's exactly what I got, absolute perfection! The other cakes I just said to decorate normal...not sure if that's how they normally do it, or not, but whatever I got was amazing! The German chocolate even had some gold glitter sprinkled on it, which was totally perfect! The leftover cake lasted for days...and tasted great the entire time too.

We also heard afterwards so many people loving the cookies! We just ordered regular home style cookies in a couple flavors and again big hit. Some Austinites who'd never even heard of Sugar Mama's have told me that they've now gone back to get more of it!

Overall perfect vendor choice. Lowkey awesomeness.

Sent on 06/06/2017

Tricia · Married on 01/07/2017

Sugar Mama's was recommended to me by a friend to make my wedding/grooms cake. I must have exchanged dozens of emails and calls regarding the cakes I was ordering and I always got a quick and accomodating response. I'm definitely happy with the results...but the cake was gone so quickly I didn't even get any :( I heard it was delicious though, and they looked adorable...especially the 1UP mushroom we had for the grooms cake.

I'm not from Austin, but now need an excuse to go down and buy a cake...to eat all by myself!! Muahaha! Or maybe just some cupcakes :)

Sent on 01/15/2017

shaini · Married on 11/05/2016

Amazing flavors! Everyone loved them! The James Brown flavor (chocolate on chocolate) disappeared were the first to sell out, recommend ordering extra of those. Also loved the cookie dough, churro, and wedding cake flavors. Had a great display pedestal available to rent.

Sent on 11/12/2016

E · Married on 07/01/2016

The easiest choice we made. Sugar Mama's is on another level. Our cakes were simple and delicious. The buttercream icing is transcendent and the dessert bars were out of control. They made everything easy for us, and despite our simple order they made sure it was perfect.

Sent on 07/29/2017

Sarah · Married on 05/14/2016

Take photos of what you're envisioning, as well as swatches of fabrics to match color, if necessary. Jenny was fantastic with our vision--we chose two different flavors of cake with two different color schemes; both were beautiful and so tasty. We left her flowers to "work her magic" on the day of, and she was awesome.

Sent on 08/15/2016

carrie · Married on 03/01/2016

Sugar Mama's was very easy to work with. I started by scheduling a tasting in which I definitely got more than necessary. I brought along two friends and the three of us had the opportunity to taste several options! Scheduling the "day of" delivery was super easy and everything turned out beautiful...and yummy!!

Sent on 01/20/2016

Chris · Married on 01/02/2016

Sugar Mama's provided our cakes for our wedding in early January. We had been to two recent weddings with Sugar Mama's cakes and decided to use them for our wedding. They knocked it out of the park! Everyone, and mean everyone commented on how moist and delicious both our cakes were! The groom's cake was Alpocalypse with a chocolate ganache poured on top to represent "oil". The bride's cake was Wedding Cake but the "inside out" style.

Sent on 01/21/2016

Kate · Married on 10/23/2015

I (bride) have loved Sugar Mama's ever since their early years as a bakery in Austin, so there was no question in my mind when we were trying to choose a bakery for our wedding cake. We actually decided to go with cupcakes, and Sugar Mama's did not disappoint. They allowed us to select a variety of cupcakes to give our guests a chance to sample many different flavors, and they even had the option of renting a cupcake tier through them. We were offered the chance to do a tasting with them ahead of time and Sugar Mama's allowed us to choose from specialty flavors not on their regular menu. We also had them make a 6" cake for the top of the tier, which we used for our cake toppers and our cake cutting. They delivered our cupcakes to the venue for us for a reasonable fee and set them up as directed ahead of time. Overall the guests enjoyed the cupcakes immensely and so did we!

Sent on 11/21/2015

Romeo · Married on 07/11/2015

Our vow renewal at the Renaissance hotel here in Austin was an experience made perfect by the cakes and cupcakes by sugar mommas. I know most people do not believe in perfect but to me that is what they provided to my wife and I for our event. The grooms cake with a specialized picture that had to do with what I do for living was an item that all my groomsmen talked about nonstop as we all work together. To all the people getting married out there you cannot go wrong by having your cake may by this great bakery. A special thanks to them from Irene and Romeo.

Sent on 07/14/2015
  • User5195332 · 2+ years ago

We LOVED our wedding cake! We had sampled three other cake options but were sold with one bite of a Marilyn Monroe cupcake.

Hands down, this was one part of our wedding that I was most looking forward to. . . and Sugar Mama's did NOT disappoint!

Sent on 06/23/2015

Caiqian · Married on 05/24/2015

Loved my delicious cake! For me, I had to have a good-tasting cake, so my caterer recommended Sugar Mama's. They were not wrong! I was able to taste some delicious cupcakes and thought Sugar Mama's was the perfect balance of elegant-looking cake with a delicious interior. Sugar Mama's delivered it and set it up, so there was no worry of me accidentally knocking the cake over in a car. I loved my wedding cake! It looked and tasted great, and didn't even break the bank :)

Sent on 06/19/2015

Jessaca · Married on 05/15/2015

Um, YUM! BEST CAKE EVER. Instead of doing one traditional cake, we opted for several cupcake flavors on a tiered stand with a small cake on top for me and my groom. Everyone remarked on how delicious the cupcakes were and the looked BEAUTIFUL. We asked for each cupcake to be sprinkled with a little gold glitter-stunning! Highly recommend Sugar Mama's. Best cupcakes in Austin!

Sent on 05/27/2015

Lauren · Married on 05/09/2015

We've celebrated almost every milestone here and even got engaged here (Literally. he proposed in the bakery, cupcake in hand), so it was only right they did our wedding desserts. As usual, they were phenomenal. We had a dessert bar with mini pies, pecan bars, and cupcakes which served as our favors for guests to pack away in mini "thank you" boxes. It was a huge hit. The desserts disappeared! The whole set up was very affordable which was a huge plus. Sugar Mama's never disappoints!

Sent on 05/26/2015

Nina · Married on 04/25/2015

We ordered a cupcake tower for our wedding day. It was perfect!! I recommend the Waffle King, James Brown, French Toast and Carrot Cake flavors. So yummy!!! For a small extra fee, Sugar Mama's can supply the tower and then came to venue to set up cupcakes for you. Well worth it.

Sent on 05/11/2015

Wow. Just wow. I am very, very picky when it comes to sweets and these were the best cupcakes EVER. My guests agreed. Not to mention, they were beautifully decorated and the top part of our cake even watched our colors! The won "Cupcake Wars" for a reason!! Please get your cake/cupcakes from them!

Sent on 05/28/2015

Sarah · Married on 01/03/2015

Sugar Mama's did an amazing job with our wedding cake.

Our original plan for our wedding cake was to have a friend who bakes do it. About two weeks before the wedding, our plan fell through and we needed to book a good cake quickly. Sugar Mama's was so compliant and worked with our stressful timeline. They got us in for a tasting quickly and gave us all the info we needed.

The day of the wedding, the two women delivering the cake took care with keeping the cake in tact. We had a stressful mishap with our venue.. they didn't allow us into the building at the time on our contract. These incredible women patiently waited and one of them held the cake on her lap for an HOUR while waiting for access into our venue.

And lastly.. the cake was incredible. We had half cookies and cream and half lemon almond.

Sent on 03/15/2015

Alyssa · Married on 09/26/2014

I've always loved Sugar Mama's. It's been my favorite cupcakery in Austin and my now husband actually proposed there - so it was a given we'd be getting our cake from Sugar Mama's too.

Olivia & team were a breeze to work with and made sure we had endless samples of cupcakes prior to our final selection.

The payment process was a cinch and any questions that came up were quickly answered.

We were looking for a super rustic cake to fit our wedding theme and Sugar Mama nailed it! The cake had flowers that matched our centerpieces which were beautifully arranged and the rough, textured frosting gave it that rustic, country look. The cake in all was a beautiful display to have at the wedding.

Sent on 10/27/2014

Sheer · Married on 01/05/2014

We ordered our cake and 4 dozen cupcakes for our wedding from Sugar Mama's and everything was delicious! We loved the wide variety of options (including vegan flavors), the beautiful presentation, and how incredibly affordable it all was!

We were initially in contact with Andrea, who helped us with our order and answered all our questions. She was a little slow to respond to emails, but every single email was always eventually responded to. We really appreciated her suggestions and advice on the amount to order based on our guest list, and we felt like she was trying to help us decide on the right amount without spending more than we needed to.

A couple months before our wedding, Andrea moved to a different city and was replaced by Karina. Karina was AWESOME. She responded to emails super quickly, answered every single question, was very organized and knowledgeable. We were so impressed by how seamless this transition was. Karina swooped in and took on our wedding order so professionally! We met up with her a month before our wedding to discuss the final decisions on flavors and the cake design. We showed her a few pictures and she knew exactly what we wanted.

Everything was perfect on our wedding day. The presentation was beautiful and the design of the cake was exactly what we wanted. Everything was delicious.

We are so glad we went with Sugar Mama's!

Sent on 01/28/2014

Cristen · Married on 12/14/2013

Sugar Mama's is amazing to work with. They helped create the look and taste of my cupcakes, making recommendations about what would work and taste good together. They set up the cake table at the wedding, they made an unforgettable grooms cake for the biggest Patriots fan in Texas and they did it all at a lower cost than other bakeries in the area. I have loved Sugar Mama's for years and they really helped make my wedding extra sweet. They even texted the maid of honor to confirm everything was in place the day of the event! Olivia and her team are pure magic. Can not recommend them enough!!

Sent on 12/23/2013

Tracy · Married on 11/09/2013

sugar mama's is AWESOME!!! we used them to make our wedding cake last weekend, and it was fantastic! we ordered the marilyn monroe (vanilla with buttercream frosting) and the southern belle (red velvet with cream cheese frosting), and both were amazing -- our guests raved about the cake. plus, the cake looked gorgeous, AND was one of the most reasonably priced options in town. i will most definitely be recommending sugar mama's to others and going back for their delicious cake myself whenever i can find an excuse to eat more cake. ;)

Sent on 11/16/2013

miray · Married on 11/02/2013

My wedding cake is the most delicious cake that I have ever had before .

Sent on 11/04/2013

Erin · Married on 10/19/2013

The cupcakes and my 8" cake from Sugar Mama's were SUCH a huge hit!

My husband and I ordered 3 different types of cupcakes and a cake for us to cut; and they ALL came out simply amazing. Every single guest raved about how delicious and moist and wonderful the cupcakes were.

We ordered the "Marilyn Monroe" (vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting), a German Chocolate cupcake, and their "Strawberry Love" cupcake (it had strawberry cream in the middle). My cake was a lemon cake with buttercream frosting.

Sugar Mama's can do elaborate cakes with fondant, but I wanted mine done with buttercream as my husband doesn't like fondant personally. I had stumbled across a photo of a 3-tier cake that I liked, so I sent that to Sugar Mama's and asked if I could have my cake done in that style in a single tier in purple.

WOW did they deliver! It was EXACTLY like the photo in a rich, royal purple hue. EXACTLY what I wanted!

They also deliver for you; I thought the fee was a little high, but, as I didn't want to be responsible for driving my cupcakes and cake around, I can't complain TOO much! However, my reception was out in the Hill Country, which was probably a factor as well.

If you want to go with a traditional cake, go with cupcakes, or like I did, a mix of both, hire Sugar Mama's to provide your dessert! There's a reason they a Cupcake Wars winner!!

Sent on 11/19/2013

Jen · Married on 05/18/2013

For my wedding cake, I wanted CUPCAKES!! I went into my favorite bakery (Sugar Mama's, of course!) with a very vague idea of what I wanted. I sat down with their head baker and told her a little about myself (I'm offbeat and very nerdy) and about my wedding (who needs 2 colors when you can have FIVE!). Within minutes, she accidentally landed on the absolute perfect idea - simple, 4 flavors, each with their own color to match the colors in the wedding party, and with a cake layer on top to match Kaylee's dress on Firefly! Delivered as promised, reasonably priced, and DELICIOUS. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :)

Sent on 03/15/2014

We had cupcakes from Sugar Mama's for our wedding. I have tried them out in the shop on several occasions, and I have to say I haven't met one flavor I don't like. They were very professional and quick to respond by email, which made life for a busy person like myself so much easier and planning was a breeze. We changed the location of our wedding on the day of due to a wildfire, and despite all that, it was as if not a moment had been lost. They did an excellent job, and their cupcakes are sensational.

Sent on 04/23/2013